Comfy toddler underwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS announced that he was done with nappies and ready for underwear and after a fair amount of success with the potty, he's decided that underwear is "too tight" and he'd rather wear a diaper. I've only tried Hanes toddler briefs and despite stretching the waistband, they do seem tight. Any suggestions on comfortable toddler underwear without a constricting waistband? He's a petite little guy!
#2 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 12:52 AM

Gerber brand makes soft, padded cloth training pants. They are very comfortable and if they have an accident it catches some of it.
#3 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 12:53 AM

I forgot to add that you find them in the baby section near the onesies, etc.
#4 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Hanna Andersson has underwear with the elastic completely covered. They were the only ones my dd was comfortable in. The are quite pricey though. Hope you find something.
#5 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 AM

I found SUPER soft and comfy OshKosh brand underwear at Burlington Coat Factory. Its great. DS previously had Hanes and whatnot from Target and they all left red marks on him but not these.
#6 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 01:48 AM

Lands End makes cute and super-comfy toddler and kids underwear. (I only have experience with the girls underwear, but I would assume that the boys underwear is equally cute and comfy.)
#7 of 13 Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 AM

I know people who only use Hanna Andersson for their children's underwear. That's the only thing they buy from the catalog, and it's the only kind of undies their kids will wear.

ETA:
Well, actually it's only one kid. Their kid had a hard time with underwear, and they found that the HA undies worked for her. That's what they always buy from the catalog. I think I was once looking (unsuccessfully) for discount codes for Hanna Andersson online, and came across a mainstream discussion about kids clothes, and some people there were saying the HA undies were the only ones their kids would keep on, too. So I got the idea that others had the same experience.

I've only had experience with the Hanna Andersson training underwear, and only a tad of experience with them so far; they're soft and seem comfy. Definitely not too tight on my lanky and slim toddler.

I've seen the Land's End ones previously mentioned. They have really good customer service and an unconditional guarantee, too. It might be worth it to give them a try first, and see if they meet with approval. Or try the OshKosh, if you've got a Burlington Coat Factory nearby. Because the Hanna Andersson clothing is more expensive. I find that the price is generally worth it for us (we like to buy the HA pjs on sale at the end of the season for use the next year) because they are comfy, they wear really well, and they fit for a long time. And many of the fabrics are Oeko-Tek certified, if not also organic cotton.
#8 of 13 Old 06-03-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestions!
#9 of 13 Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 PM

We got my son the boxer-briefs and he liked them much better than regular underwear. Easier to get on (leg holes are easier to determine because they are like little shorts)... extremely soft.

Got them at Target. Bought him an XS pair. Not sure if they're Target Brand, Hanes, or Fruit of the Loom.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#10 of 13 Old 06-04-2006, 09:26 PM

We have been using the gerber underwear (got 'em at Target, in the baby/toddler section near the onesies and other packaged clothing) and they seem to be quite comfy. I bought the white briefs and tie-dyed them!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#11 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 12:32 AM

In my experience you need to size up with Toddler undies. For some reason they shrink or are made too small in the first place. My 28 month old wears size 4T!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#12 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 AM

I was going to mention the size up for toddler undies. Nathan cant get the 4T's down over his bubble butt. He goes commando most of the time in shorts or sweats. I looking for size 4-5 boxers if anyone sees any pm me!

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#13 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We really like the boys briefs at GapKids. They start at XXS, which is sort of like 2T, but fit my oldest son at 6 mo (though a bit roomy). Their XS is still pretty poofy on my little one, who's exactly a 2T right now. The waistband elastic is very soft (don't get the ones at Old Navy, that elastic is like a knife) and they have the overlap in the front, where you can stick a folded washcloth to make them into trainers.

I always look for clearance prints cause they are a bit pricey, but they also last really long and all the ones from my oldest are in good enough condition for my little one, so it will be at least 3 years of wear out of them.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page