What activities do you do with your toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-06-2003, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son turned 2 in January and we've started up a few different activities. On Tuesdays me and my kids and my sister and her 4 year old (who is autistic) fo the YMCA to a drop in play thing - crafts, gym time and swimming. Every second Wednesday we go to a mom's group and Elijah is in with kids his age (and Olivia is with me of course). Fridays we go to Gymboree - GymExlplorers for 2 year olds. And the second Thursday of every month is our LLL meeting. I am the type of person who really NEEDS to get out of the house or I go insane. I can't stand being cooped up with two kids and no outings. So what activities do you do and what other activities can you suggest for me?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 7 Old 03-06-2003, 05:49 PM

Spring is coming -- have you checked your local parks and recreation agency? -- They often offer group activities that are age appropriate, although aften for older kids. You didn't mention much outdoor stuff. At two he can't walk far, but outdoor things like feeding the ducks, exploring the trees at a local park, a simple destination with something of interest. Or, the library story hour.
#3 of 7 Old 03-06-2003, 07:09 PM

our library has some great drop in play groups,actually we have 2 libraries in our city. Borders and Barnes and Nobles has story time. Ane we got to playgroup twice a month. My dd just started kindergarten and I am volunteering alot at her school,so we are still getting use to her schedule. Next year I want to enroll my ds in kindermusik and swimming classes. Also we have LLL every second Wednesday.
#4 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 03:07 AM

We also do Gymboree GymExplorers up to twice a week. We go to the library for storytime once a week. Play with the neighbor's kids once or twice a week. We usually go on a hike on Saturdays with Dad and Big Halfbrother. We are thinking about taking a tumbling class or a swimming class when the weather gets warmer.

At home we have tons of stuff we do together like drawing, painting, cooking together (simple stuff), reading, dancing around like crazy persons (baby rave), yoga, gardening and learning to ride the tricycle.

My dd is 22 months.

Denny
#5 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 01:12 PM

DD is almost 15 months.

We do the zoo once a week. It's great in the cold, rainy weather 'cause very few people are there and dd gets to walk around without the worry of bigger kids trampling her. Yesterday dd got to press her nose up against a plexiglass shield and "play" with baby monkeys pressing their noses up against the other side for over 20 minutes without so much as another soul walking by. She didn't look back at me once the whole time... very intent. Funny part was the mama monkey was sitting back, regarding the action just like I was.

We do the library books for tots once a week... but there's a B&N a short bus ride away so might look into their story time hours too. And we're starting Music Together classes next month. It's the last series until fall, so I'll have to find a replacement activity in the summer.

Every day (that it's not raining) she walks along with me to the store and we get stuff for dinner that night. We say 'hi' to all the neighborhood kitties and dogs on the way. There's a playground not too far from us, but there have been two murders near that part in the last 6 months and I have to admit I've not even gone to check it out yet.

The one thing I really want to do is hook up with a playgroup.
#6 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Wow, this is great. Great ideas!! Madyson and I currently go to gymnastics(mommy and me class) once a week and storytime at the library(yay for free activities!!!) once a week. Her grandma pays for gymnastics and her nana will be starting us off in Gymboree classes with her cousin soon. Gotta love grandmas!!! When it gets a little warmer, we walk the mile to the playground everyday and back. We also have a nature preserve a short drive from our house and we live 4 miles from the beach so we do that a LOT during the summer. I wish we could find a playgroup in this area, but there just doesnt' seem to be one. I am hopign to start one this summer since I will be off from school with nothign else to do. No committments to keep.
Meg and Madyson 7/23/00

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-07-2003, 02:06 PM

Hi. I too try and have a few activites per week for myself and my 2yr. old, especially since my dh works long hours. In the past we've done Gymboree play class, playgroup(s), bfing support groups, and other activities as well. We are currently going to storytime at the local library, art class - i highly recomend this if you can find it, and I'm babysitting another little boy his age 2x per week, we also occasionally do playdates. Starting next month we're going to do the Gymboree music class (have to save up money first), and when it gets warmer out we'll start going to the park and swimming again, and going bike riding and for walks as well. I also do sort of a 'school time' w/ him on the days that we are home, just introducing him to concepts like shapes, colors, etc. through play and books, and art. hth.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page