How much did you spend on your Kid's Party? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much did you spend on your kid's party?
Under $50 bucks. 25 47.17%
$50-$100 clams. 13 24.53%
$150 to $200 smackers. 9 16.98%
Over $200 schlamoolies!!! 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an indoor playground here that you can rent--the whole place--for $400 for a few hours for a max of 30 people. Includes decorations, plates, etc. but not the cake.

Heck, I'll rent out my HOUSE for a few hours for $400, and I'll bake you a cake, vacuum your car, and wash your kids' messy clothes afterward! LOL!
#32 of 37 Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Laurel that is totally insane! People are weird alright.

I think I'm gonna do what I did last year and order a plain sheet cake, then decorate it myself. I did this for my dd's first birthday party. The theme was "Down on the Farm". We held it at a local park that is a model Victorian farm complete with chickens, cows, horses, sheep, turkeys, goats, bunnies etc. To reserve the pinic spot was $60 bucks. The kids all got to help feed the animals at 4:00. The cake was $25. I bought a plastic farm animal set from Walmart and added some frosting grass and a duck pond, $10. It actually came out pretty cool. Another $60 in sandwiches and soda for my 10 adults and 5 kid guests plus bargain basement farm-themed plates and goody bags, that must have been all of $40. Each person got a red or a white bandana to lend that farmy flava.

Grand Total: $190 Schlamoolies. My husband The Total Tightwad said I was excessive. We can totally afford to spend twice that but he's English and from the North. As a child he was so poor he couldn't afford to pay attention. (rimshot). He said big kid parties just are not normal in his culture. Oh well. Little does he know that his sister-in-law, his bro's wife spent about $400 on last years birthday parties for her kids. Each.

Denny
#33 of 37 Old 10-19-2003, 06:27 PM

I had to pull out this thread to see if I was going crazy! I just finished cleaning up from dd's 2nd birthday party (which was really fun and everyone had a good time). I have been feeling really burned out and I wasn't at all in the mood to throw a big fiesta but since my mom and aunt and uncle were all going to be here I figured we had to something.

What could be simpler than pizza, a cake and some balloons (no ice cream, no soda, we made hibiscus tea instead)? So we ended up inviting about 11 kids (8 showed up) and their parents plus another 10-12 adults who are good family friends. I bought little tiny notebooks and little 6-crayon packs to give out as favors, some plates, some napkins and two 8' banners. Oh, and two packs of balloons and the most basic candles I could find.

I just added it all up and realized that I spent a solid $150 USD!!!!!! This, in Mexico where stuff is cheap!!! I can't believe it. And I thought I was going the cheap easy route. Absolutely insane. What is the world coming to??? :

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#34 of 37 Old 10-19-2003, 08:37 PM

Had to post this! A moms club I belong to is gathering our extra kid birthday supplies (you know, you invite 10 kids but the packs of plates, napkins, hats, blowers, etc. come in packs of 8 so you have a bunch of everything leftover...) and combining (my kid is not the only one to have a Strawberry Shortcake birthday party this year!) to make birthday baskets for the food bank! We add a cake mix and a can of frosting, tie it up in a basket with cellophane and ribbon and viola! A birthday basket! I just loved this idea when I heard of it. We are putting the baskets together next week - it will be so fun and such a great use for these supplies!
With email, it is SO easy to send a note to your friends and ask people to drop their stuff off on your porch, along with baskets (don't these multiply in your closet too?) and cake mix and frosting. For the cost of the cake mix and some time, you can make a child very happy.
Kirsten
#35 of 37 Old 10-20-2003, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Awwwww Oatmeal!!!!!!! Honey I'm a single mumma too, with no hint of a father around anywhere(been almost a year and a half since he's seen M). I understand what you mean about having so few friends around. Fortunately we do have a large (adopted)family to invite to M's parties. Her last birthday(3rd) was in my parent's backyard and there were about 20 people there(all family and then 3 of her little friends). We spent the most money on the food for all those people(adopted family is Italian, right from Italy, so food is always a big affair with them!) so the kids played in a kiddie pool and favors were a grass skirt(hawaiian theme) and a lei that they made at the party and we did a homemade pinata filled with sugar free lollipops, and small cheap toys from the dollar store. It was a great day. m still talks about it almost 3 months later! It probably cost around $200(my parents paid for it) only because we had 20 people to feed and we did have a small cooler of beer and wine for the adults and opted for juice boxes for the children(waste waste waste!). Her first birthday party had about 10 people there(all family) and we spent less then $50 and made it a potluck. As a single mumma, I have a VERY tight budget(I'm a full-time student living on state aid and in subsidized housing) and I can't afford to throw big parties for dd. I doubt that I would anyway even if I were loaded. It's such a waste. You want to celebrate the day of their birth and honor it but geez, it's one day!!!! Spend it on taking them somewhere special or save your money and take a vacation from work to spend time iwth them. Don't blow it all in one day!
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#36 of 37 Old 10-20-2003, 02:19 PM

Call me a minimalist, but the only thing we really did for ds first birthday was make and frost a small cake. We did take lots of pictures. DS's bd is only about three weeks after Christmas and both of our families went so nuts that he didn't need any books, toys, or clothes.

Also my dh took a vacation day and spent the whole day with ds (big treat for both of them). I went to work. I wanted to buy him a riding toy of some sort, but I wasn't sure what to get and it was winter outside.

About 10 days before ds's bd we got together with my MIL, FIL, SIL, and BIL and had a nice meal and he got a gift from each couple. We never called it a birthday celebration.

I am sure we would of done more if family was nearby and we actualy had some friends. But I actually think our celebration was very sweet and in keeping with our values. Lack of funds had nothing to do with with how we celebrated.
#37 of 37 Old 10-21-2003, 12:02 AM

Well. after reading all these replies, I am embarrassed to admit that we spent *gulp* $850.00 on DD's 1st birthday - but let me explain! DH is from Hawaii and the tradition is to have a baby Luau on the 1st birthday to celebrate them making it out of the danger zone (many many babies died before reaching 1). We had a big luau with our family and friends. It was tons of fun.(and $850 is cheap - in Hawaii they can get into the thousands whether you can afford it or not!) We had 18 adults and 25 kids!!! The food is what cost so darn much, and to top it off I didn't even cater it, my mom and I cooked ourselves. We also had a separate party for our playgroup friends. by the time all was said and done, it was very expensive. Thankfully we are fortunate enough that finances are no problem, but still. next year, age 2, will probably be the park!

But get this - one of the women I go to Gymboree with rented ponies, had a REAL miniature train (which I heard was $1500 to rent alone) had a band, the works. God only kows what she spent, but this same woman can afford to buy her DD clothes by Baby Gassy Gooma - I would never spend $180 on a toddler outfit - heck, even an outit for me - even if I COULD afford it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page