What chair does your toddler use?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-07-2003, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been contemplating getting a kid's rocking chair or a kid-size sofa for dd, so she has her own place in the house when watching her Sesame St, or reading, but dh is dead against it, saying such kiddy chairs only promote bad posture (slouching). What do your toddlers sit in for leisure activities? Any info as to what chairs are better for their postures?? :
#2 of 12 Old 03-07-2003, 02:11 PM

A bean bag. Talk about bad posture.
#3 of 12 Old 03-07-2003, 02:30 PM

my guy has 2 kids size chairs. one was a shower gift and one we got him bc he loved it in the store.

both are hardly ever used. he sits in htem rarely and only as a game. he much rather would like to be with me or dh. he is 2.25
#4 of 12 Old 03-07-2003, 03:10 PM

We have 2 kiddie rocking chairs. We also have a kid size table w/ 2 chairs for art in the play room. My kids drag those chairs around in the living room and they use them as stools to help me cook. We also have this little blue folding chair called" the camping chair" dh hooks onto his backpack when we go hiking. That is my kids favorite chair to sit in.
I never heard of child size chairs encouraging bad posture I will have to observe and compare that.
#5 of 12 Old 03-07-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, dh's point was, "Whoever ever sits upright when in a rocking chair or sofa?" there is a tendency to slouch (in a comfy sofa), or arch back in a rocking chair.
I was thinking of the KinderZeat but it's so darn ex!! and I'm not so sure it's versatile around the house....
#6 of 12 Old 03-08-2003, 06:33 AM

My mom got DD a small rocking chair (gymboree kind) that can fold down when not in use...but it is easy for small toddlers to get in and out of...anyway, she got it at Goodwill for $2.99 (my mom's a goodwill junkie :LOL )

DD uses that chair all the time, she drags it all over the house b/c it's lightweight. If you go to Gymboree, you will probably see the chairs there, they are plastic and have a canvas seat cover.

I've never met a toddler that didn't slouch, that's what toddlers do. I don't think it would matter what kind of chair you get, your DC would find a way to slouch. Just think, what's better than getting comfy with a good book? You couldn't do that in one of those straight backed chairs that are so rigid could you?
#7 of 12 Old 03-08-2003, 09:20 AM
PM
Banned

Earth - We've had a BabyDan since Iris was 6 months. I'm pretty sure that they are significantly less expensive than the KinderZeat.
#8 of 12 Old 03-08-2003, 11:12 AM

I think posture is better in a well-selected child's chair than a child in adult furniture...or do you not allow your child on the furniture? Yes, floor is better...but children like imitative behaviour...and if you sit in a chair they want to as well. Just try to pick a well shaped chair. I have been looking at some small wooden chairs and rockers - still tryng to pick one. The Kinderzeat is only good for sitting at the table...it's too tall for use elsewhere in the house or for book reading, though it is a nice chair. We only bought a plastic booster until she was old enough for the KZ.
#9 of 12 Old 03-08-2003, 08:47 PM

we actually have a rocking chair that is on the 4th generation in my family for my son, and he likes it about half the time..but he is really partial to dragging out his "rocking cow" to sit on in the livingroom,,and has also been known to bring out his baby bjorn little potty from the bathroom to sit on if we are watching sesame street! ( that is a hoot! At least he likes to sit on it! It is just around for fun now, as he is 18 months old..we are waiting for him to show interest in it other than tv seating!)

I don't know about seats causing bad posture,,but I know all of my kids have loved having something of their own, in their size,,and key has been them being able to move it around themselves ( though using it to reach the vcr on top of the tv is not my favorite accomplishment! ;P )
#10 of 12 Old 03-08-2003, 10:55 PM

Dd has a foam armchair she got for her first birthday. She loves it & often sits in it to watch tv, read, play with dolls, climb on & over, etc. She also just got a folding canvas chair (one of the newer type that folds into a tube bag) for Christmas with Tweety Bird on it. She loves that one too, so now they are both in the living room. I have never noticed any sign of bad posture when she's sitting in either of them. Her posture is much worse when she sits on the couch which is, of course, much too big for her.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#11 of 12 Old 03-09-2003, 02:49 AM

Our house is too small for ds to have his own sofa. He has a wooden table with two chairs from Target but he reads or sits on the sofa or our two chairs. At 2 1/2 he's 40 inches and can reach everything but even when he was younger he just climbed up. He loves to climb so I guess it serves two purposes. We let him stand on our sofa and one of the chairs - barefoot. So, if you don't want that going on, having kids sized stuff might be the way to go...we also have a rocking chair that was my dh's when he was young but it's in the garage because we'd have to move something else out to get this in! You've inspred me so now I'll have to find a space for it.

Thanks,
Rebecca
#12 of 12 Old 03-09-2003, 03:06 AM

We have several: a rocker, a straight-backed chair and a lounge-style chair. She loves them all.

Jesse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page