Not eating at 12 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the toddler forum, as my dd just turned 1. She is technically not yet a toddler because she doesn't walk, but I thought this fit better here than in Life With A Babe. Anyway, my dd has no interest in solid food. Zero. I know that she is okay, but I'm worried because what if she never wants to eat and starts losing weight? Is anyone else in the same boat? Please ease my fears some.
#2 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 PM

It's fine. My dd didn't eat more than a taste of solids until 13 months. Just keep nursing.

-Angela
#3 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Although my daughter has always been a big eater I know plenty of babies who were not into solids until much later than 12 months and they were fine.

As long as she isn't loosing a ton of weight or is still growing in some way, height or weight I think you are fine. BM really will give her what she needs for a long time.

Just so you know their growth curves slows way down around a year so don't be worried if she isn't growing as much or as fast as she did up till this point.
#4 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 01:18 PM

My dd didn't really start to eat until closer to 16 months. Now at 18 months she still gets 90-95% of her nutrition from breastmilk. Some kids just aren't ready until they are older. Don't push it, but offer bits of your meal at meal time and one day she'll eat. And keep nursing!

Mama of three.

#5 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Yeah, my dd didn't eat much food until about 16 mos or so. She still nurses like a fiend but gobbles down solids too. She's 2.
#6 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Yep, not alone there. That was ds at 12 months. At nearly 15 he is still not eating much. It does get a little disconcerting. I have to keep telling myself "he is fine, he will eat when he is ready, he gets all he needs from my milk".
#7 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM

My dd is 14 months and JUST started eating solids. She still won't eat off a spoon but gets very excited when I put her in her high chair with a plate full of whatever the rest of the family is eating.
#8 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 03:35 PM

DD's been experimenting with solids since around 7-8 months (we let her self feed), but at 14 months she still gets 90-95% of her calories from breastmilk. Don't worry if your little one doesn't want solids! They'll start eating more solids when they're ready...as long as they seem happy and healthy it's nothing to worry about.

That said, I know dd really didn't like smooth textures...we introduced solids one at a time to check for allergies, but she really prefered eating straight off our plates instead of eating whatever it was we had put through the baby mill (usually a single ingredient from our "adult" meal). So maybe just offer your little one tastes from your plate? Right now DD loves anything with garlic or onion and she would happily eat a bowl of homemade salsa straight up if we'd let her, so it's possible the solids you're offering to your little one just aren't the tastes they're looking for (I certainly wouldn't have thought of chopped onion as a "baby friendly food"!). So don't be afraid to offer your dc a spoonful of your own dinner to explore (for texture, smell, etc even if they don't eat it...solids are about learning, not really about nutrition at this age).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Yup, James is 16 months old and STILL gets the majority of his nutrition from breastmilk. He's nearly 26 lbs and almost 36 inches tall so I'm not thinking he's starving to death

I was worried for a while, but he started eating in how own time. Now he eats just about anything.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#10 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 06:15 PM

My DD, 12.5 months old, also eats very very few solids. Some days she eats more than others, but it is not at all uncommon for her to refuse solids all day long and just nurse. She also drools out a lot of what she puts in her mouth. Someone on another board was concerned not about the lack of solids interest but about the fact that she doesn't seem to like to chew (she only has 2 teeth but they can 'chew' with their gums), and that she drools everything out of her mouth. (Although she does eat and 'chew' sometimes...just not consistently.) I will be watching her a little more carefully to see how much she is actually eating and not just tasting/drooling out. She seems healthy otherwise and likes to *taste* whatever we are eating, so I'm not overly concerned.
#11 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

Hi there

Our daughter is just about where your child is, not yet one, but so close I am starting to come to the toddler forum *sniff* bittersweet how fast the time goes.

Anyway, our daughter *just* got interested in solids... but truthfully, it isn't anywhere near her main source of nutrition. -- she really only eats heritage o's (kind of like organic cheerios), organic yogurt, sauteed tofu, and bit of what we are eating...She is healthy as can be

As long as your babe is still thriving (gaining weight, meeting "milestones" in the normal range, seems happy, output is good etc) there is absolutely no need to worry whatsoever at this point.

Good luck
#12 of 16 Old 06-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Keep offering, don't push - she'll eat when she's ready! No worries!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#13 of 16 Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 AM

My daughter just suddenly got interested in solids (as in, eating large quantities) at about 11 1/2 months.

I did go on an exclusion diet the week before, which may have contributed. They say often kids with food sensitivities limit solids to protect themselves.

(not too happy about shifting to the toddler forum, either!)
#14 of 16 Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I know she's okay. She's perfectly happy and healthy. It's just my family. I typed out a big long vent a few months ago about us cutting a trip to see our family short because they wouldn't mind their own business, about dd not eating solids and many other things. Awhile after we left they finally decided to back off and we had a few nice visits. But they came for her birthday and flipped out because she still isn't eating. The whole trip consisted of them trying to talk her into eating and trying to feed her things, and me playing interference.

Just to explain the situation a little more, she has always hated to be fed by me. She has to self feed. At 10 mos she would pick up pieces of food and try them, but no matter what it was she would make a yucky face and either gag or spit it out. Now the only things she will put in her mouth are bread, crackers, and cereal. But she doesn't swallow them. She puts some in her mouth once or twice during a meal, chews it (she has 7 teeth) and spits it right back out. Nothing gets swallowed. Unless it is bread, crackers, or cereal it won't go into her mouth. It just gets played with, squished, crumbled, thrown, etc. Since she doesn't seem to enjoy food I don't give it to her all day long. Just at dinner time. At dinner time we put her in her high chair to sit with me and dh and I give her some of whatever we are eating, plus a cracker or something I know she will at least put in her mouth. Anyway, thanks for the reassurance and thanks for listening.
#15 of 16 Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 AM

I am in the same boat. My babe will be 1 year old on the 17th. (: not my sweet little newborn anymore!) and still not eating solids well. He has his moments. He never turns down a french fry : or a cheerio. Yesterday I boiled him a sweet potato, he would have nothing to do with it.

My mom is the same way, she is all worried all the time because he does not eat solids well yet. I just try some of the things she suggest, like next time I will try boiling a little bit of chicken and see if he likes that.

But I don't like visiting either, cause everytime I do, she feeds him, and is a little bit more forceful than I would like. it really makes me sick.
#16 of 16 Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=mama_b]
Just to explain the situation a little more, she has always hated to be fed by me. She has to self feed. At 10 mos she would pick up pieces of food and try them, but no matter what it was she would make a yucky face and either gag or spit it out. Now the only things she will put in her mouth are bread, crackers, and cereal. But she doesn't swallow them. She puts some in her mouth once or twice during a meal, chews it (she has 7 teeth) and spits it right back out. Nothing gets swallowed. Unless it is bread, crackers, or cereal it won't go into her mouth. It just gets played with, squished, crumbled, thrown, etc. Since she doesn't seem to enjoy food I don't give it to her all day long. Just at dinner time. At dinner time we put her in her high chair to sit with me and dh and I give her some of whatever we are eating, plus a cracker or something I know she will at least put in her mouth. QUOTE]

I could have written your post! DS did the exact thing. He was 11 1/2 mos before he ate a Cheerio. Now at 26 mos, he's not a great solids eater.

You should check out "My Child Won't Eat" by Carlos Gonzalez. It totally helped me relax about feeding DS. He will eat what his body requires and not what I THINK he shoud eat. When I stopped commenting on food and his eating, he ate better!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page