Juice--is undiluted worse than barely drinking anything?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wanting your opinions about something. Is it worse for me to give my son UN-diluted juice, and he actually drinks it, OR give him diluted juice, and he hardly drinks any?? He is 15mo, weaned last month, and drinks about 16oz of goat milk a day--smoe days more, some days much less. I'd say he's drinking *almost* 2 sippycup-fulls of juice a day (maybe 12 oz or so??). He is very prone to being constapated and having painful poops and since I switched to undilluted juice last week, he's been getting more than twice the fluids he was before and his poops have been MUCH less painful, if at all.

So what do you think???

He'll drink *some* water if it's from his dad's glass--but most of it spills on him!

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2003, 01:36 AM

This is just my opinion, but I think getting a baby accustomed to straight juice is a bad idea. I think it trains their palate to like sweets more (especially if the juice has added sugar). It can fill them up, thereby replacing more nutritious foods they would otherwise be eating.

My 2.5 yo DD still nurses and gets a lot of her fluids from me; she also drinks filtered or mineral water as well as some herbal teas. We recently introduced some juice to her and she can only drink it in the morning w/breakfast. I can see already that she really likes the sweet taste of orange juice and how that could turn into a bad habit. Better to have them eat fresh fruit and get the fiber.

I can see that you are concerned about your son's constipation and lack of fluid intake. I would think that if he is really thirsty, he would drink water, but a better strategy may be to gradually dilute his juice and perhaps he will adjust to "flavored water".
Old 03-08-2003, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it is fine for now but you may want to consider gradually increasing the dilution untill he is to at least 50/50. perhaps if you mixed it with sparkling water or froze it into popcicles he would be more intrested. I know my girls will eat anything frozen on a stick.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-08-2003, 01:50 PM

24 oz. of straight juice a day is an awful lot of sugar. Toddlers and older kids aren't supposed to have more than 8 oz. of juice a day (I think). I have a four-year-old dd who drinks very diluted juice, and trust me, if I had to do it over again, I would have never given her juice at all - just water. Now that she has gotten older and has had straight juice at preschool and birthday parties, she complains about the water in her juice (though I stick to my guns!). Juice has little nutritional value and too much sugar, can fill kids' tummies and make them eat less food, and will definitely contribute to a sweet tooth. Plus juice ion sippy cups contributes to tooth decay, especially if your child walks around with it, or rests the spout against his teeth while drinking. A friend of mine's dd has decay between her two front top teeth due to this.

If your son is drinking goat's milk and consuming fruit, which contains fluids, you shouldn't worry too much. Try the popsicle idea (with diluted juice), that's a good one. Since he likes to drink water out of his dad's glass, maybe you can capitalize on that and work on his cup skills, perhaps buy a special cup that is just for water.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:04 PM

Just to give you an idea of the nutritional value of juice it has twice the sugar and the same vitamins as kool-aid.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-08-2003, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

LunaMom, just to clear it up, I meant 12 oz of juice *total*! Even putting that # down seemed like a lot to me! I always thought I'd only give my kids water, but if he doesn't drink it, then what? He doesn't eat much food, so I can't depend on solids giving him the fluid he needs. Since the day he was born, the boy could care less about eating!! I don't know where he came from, considering his parents!

Thanks so much for your input ladies. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to dilute the juice whenever I make it in the pitcher so I don't have to really think about it, in case it's all in my head!!

I like the popsicle idea, but I don't know. I still feel like ice cubes are a choking risk for him. But I guess if you freeze juice it's not as solid, breaks up more easily... ?? We'll have to give it a try!

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:41 PM

The sugar in the juice makes it softer and *spintery?* kind of. If you are scared about choking you can crush it in the blender and serve it in a bowl. The peices should be pretty small. The thing about choking on ice, at least small peices is that it will melt before it does any serious harm (you might have a sore throat for a while though)

Old 03-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Banned

my son is 21 months.
He drinks 50-50 organic juice to water only in the am.
He also drinks goat milk
I saw a special that said adults should have no more than 4oz juice a day.
It is hard on the pancreas.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:42 AM

I think if you gradually dilute the juice, bit by bit over time you can get your kid to drink straight water. This is how I did it with mine. Start with 3/4's juice to 1/4 water and add a bit more water and less juice over the course of about 2 weeks. My dd now drinks either straight water or 50-50 or 25-75 juice-water. She likes to drink at night so we had to get her onto water so she would not wreck her teeth. She will blithely drink down a whole bottle of water overnight.

Also, the novelty of a new cup or fancy silly straw might prove an excellent way to get liquids into a reluctant sipper. Give it to your kid while they seated in the highchair. It can get messy otherwise but it's so much fun for them. I went to Target and got a fabulous Spongebob Straw cup and my dd will polish off anything you put in it.

Denny
Old 03-10-2003, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My daughter drinks diluted juice, too, and what I have recently tried is iced fruit tea (cherry, blackberry, etc. non-herbal, non-caffeinated tea) which tastes similar to juice, but has no sweetener in it. I even add a little splash of juice, which makes it better, but is even more diluted than usual. That's working OK.

She also started drinking more water when her aunt was here - they each had their own bottles which her aunt refilled frequently. Sometimes if a beloved person other than the parent models the behavior, they go for it!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

User Tag List