Do you wake your DC if he/she sleeps past a certain time? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you wake your DC if he/she sleeps past a certain time?
Yes. 9 12.16%
Yes, but only if we need to leave the house for some reason. 11 14.86%
I might, depending on how long (s)he's been sleeping and how late it is. 13 17.57%
I probably wouldn't, except in a special circumstance. 34 45.95%
I definitely wouldn't. 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so it's almost 11 am and DD is still sleeping. She's been in bed since 8:30 last night, and only woke up once, briefly, at around 4 am. Do I wake her, or no? I can't make up my mind!!!!!!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 12:53 PM

I only wake dd up if we have to go somewhere. I say enjoy the free time
Old 06-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Dude, I agree. Besides, I figure if they're sleeping, they need the sleep.

My husband disagrees, though. He likes her to take two hour-long naps a day; it does tend to make her more cheerful in the evenings before bed. I am more loosey goosey.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM

It really depends on if we need to go somewhere...or how late it is. If Dd falls asleep too late in the afternoon, she will be awake until like 10pm...and be a bear in the morning!! So I guess it depends on the circumstances you are in!

Becky, married to DH, Vern , for 11 years. Mom to DS, Z (1/01), DD, A (5/02), Hershey (11 yo Shih-tzu) and May 2010 TTC #4 on my homepage!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nowhere to go, although tomorrow we have to be somewhere at 9:30 so I sure hope she doesn't get into a rhythm of sleeping so late. I'm totally at loose ends, though. I got all my work done an hour ago and now I have nothing to do. I miss DD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I just went and sat with her a minute and talked to her, and she didn't budge, so I guess she really needs the sleep.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 06-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Heck no, unless we're really in a rush to go somewhere (which rarely is the case). She doesn't have a routine, never has. She sleeps when she wants and wakes when she wants.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 06-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Only if we have to be somewhere at a certain time. Other than that, if DS sleeps in then I usually sleep in also!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Absolutely. Otherwise they'll get off their normal schedule and have a hard time later in the day. Same with naps. I never let them nap past 3pm (or 2 1/2 hours). It just makes bedtime go smoothly.
The only exception is when they're sick. But even when their jet-lagged from a long trip, I immediately put them back on their usual schedule.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-06-2006, 02:24 PM

No way! My motto "Never EVER wake a sleeping baby". Of course I have a VERY sleep challenged child and have severe insomnia myself. Dd and I slept until 10am this morning which is very unusual. We have a loose schedule that is based on who is tired when but I have no problem deviating from that. I believe it promotes healthy sleep habits to learn to read your own cues. So if dd is still sleeping, I assume she needs to and let her do her thing. I make a point to never schedule anything before noon that cannot be cancelled if need be. I even make poor dh take a taxi to the airport if dd is not up in time to take him when he goes on travel. As a result, I have a very flexible child and we get to do all sorts of fun late night stuff because she can handle change.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM

not sure how old she is and all that - but basically I pretty much never would wake up dd - but that is because most of the time I am sleep deprived and self-time deprived and so love any extra time to myself !
Old 06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Depending on the circumstances, I would wake my child only if I thought she was definitely not sick. Like me, my child has the tendency to sleep until noon and then not want to go to bed until midnight. She does not nap anymore. So, I have learne not to let her sleep past ten unless she is sick.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 PM

I wake my child up if she sleeps past three o'clock because it causes her to stay up untill at least midnight which is bad for everyone in our house.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 PM

I have started waking dd if she sleeps past 9ish because she's finally got a routine and gets cranky if it differs too much.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 PM

I don't wake up my kids in the morning unless I really have to.

On Friday we had someone coming over to cut down some trees right next to the house (already dead nature-lovin' mamas, already dead...) and the kids, of course, slept in. So I stuck their clothes and some breakfast in the car, waited until I heard chainsaws, and then carried my slightly-disgruntled kids to the car.

How much sleep they need seems to vary by how active they've been the day before, so sometimes they'll wake up at 6:30 and sometimes at 8:30, but if I let them wake on their own they'll have the same energy level either way. If I wake them up they're usually pretty crabby and lethargic.

If my toddler takes a late afternoon nap I'll only let her sleep for 30 min or so, just so she won't stay awake until midnight. This is rare and pretty much only happens if her earlier naps get interrupted somehow. It's the only circumstance I'll wake up kid just to keep their rhythm acceptable to me.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:41 AM

I learned the "never wake a sleeping baby" lesson, and just assumed that it went on indefinitely. Like, if they're sleeping, they need it.

Which means, I never know what to do if she's napping late in the afternoon. If I do wake her, she's miserable. For a long time. If I don't, she'll stay up late and have a really late bedtime. I've never figured it out.

I wouldn't wake her in the morning unless I absolutely had to be somewhere (and that's the only time she ever sleeps in hard, anyway!)

I have no idea what is "right," but that's what I do.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM

I voted-only if we have to go somewhere. I probably should have voted only for special circumstances. Usually the only place that I would wake her up to go would be if we have an appointment like the dr's or something. Anything else I'd reschedule.

But, as far as waking up...Dd and I are up before the sun is up on most morning.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Wow I sure wish I had a reason to wake them up...it would be nice if they'd sleep in LOL!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 PM

We're not at all a schedule family, but ds will sleep way past 10am at times and then want to stay up past midnight and I can't do that. So yes, I'm trying to get in the habit of waking him up b/t 8-9am.

The kids had naturally fallen into falling asleep around 9pm every night, dd waking at 6am (she's an early bird) and ds sleeping until 8am but things have never been the same since Indiana joined in with the moronic DST. :
Old 06-07-2006, 02:59 PM

Didn't read all the replies, but voted and wanted to explain that I've done it, but most of the time it seems to backfire and I'd be better off just letting her sleep, whatever that entailed.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I believe it promotes healthy sleep habits to learn to read your own cues.
I voted, "only if we have to go somewhere." I WOH, so we keep an approximately regular schedule on weekdays. On weekends, my definition of "have to" is pretty loose: If I've been planning to go somewhere at a particular time, even if it's not required, usually I pick up the sleeping kid and put him in the sling when it's time to go; as he gets older, that's becoming more likely to wake him, but generally he's calm about it once we get going. I'll cancel my plans only if I think he really needs the sleep: slept less than usual recently, exposed to illness, etc. Also, if I'm ready to go now but the thing can be delayed (for example, I'd like to go to the store before dinner, but it's open until 10:00), then I wait until he wakes on his own.

Sometimes I want to ENCOURAGE him to wake in order to get him to bed at a reasonable time that night. In that case, I do chores in his room or do something that involves a lot of walking around and/or moving objects in adjacent rooms. If that doesn't wake him, I figure he needs the sleep.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 06-11-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
Absolutely. Otherwise they'll get off their normal schedule and have a hard time later in the day. Same with naps. I never let them nap past 3pm (or 2 1/2 hours). It just makes bedtime go smoothly.
The only exception is when they're sick. But even when their jet-lagged from a long trip, I immediately put them back on their usual schedule.

- Krista
:

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 06-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Only during the week when she has to go to school and dh and I have to go to work.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Well, i am all for a routine. In fact, we follow a pretty steady one heer to avoid meltdowns with a very HN child! That being said, I am a in hoem daycare provider which menas I cannot get housework done much or get any alone time till after the kids are in the bed for the night so I am up late ebvery night and then DS wakes at 6 eevry day so if my son slept till past 11????? Hmm.....I would be dancing for joy in my front yard. LOL (Just before falling into a sleep deprived heap)

User Tag List