Drop In Daycare - very upsetting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-09-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the most part, I am a stay at home Mom. I play in 2 part time orchestras, and when I rehearse and perform my son is with my husband. When he has had conflicts with my schedule, I've always been able to find a babysitter.

Well, this last week I had two out of town Children's Concerts on a weekday morning. I called everyone I could think of, and everyone THEY could think of and still couldn't find a sitter.

So I took my 19 month old son to a daycare that takes drop ins. I know that people have to do this every day, but it was extremely upsetting for me. There were so many crying children and the 3 adults in the room seemed so indifferent.

(They had never seen cloth diapers, although they did use my system. And they fed him his oatmeal at his usual time. But they did give me a funny look when I told them that he nurses to sleep and he probably would not take a nap at their scheduled nap time.)

I cried all the way from the daycare to the concert hall. As soon as I walked through the lobby doors, I saw the parents of a child I had taught at a summer Institute two years ago. Long story short - the mom was able to watch my son during the second concert. I was SO relieved!!

I know that this morning was much harder for me than my son. But I really feel for the parents who have to face this every day. I am so thankful that our lives are flexible, and our son is with a parent most every minute of every day.
#2 of 4 Old 03-09-2003, 07:59 PM

It must have been very tough. I am glad that someone was able to watch your son for the second performance. Maybe you could work an arrangement with this mommy?

I really know how hard it is to leave them at daycare. Even now I still feel a little sad when I drop Sam off and he really loves to go.
#3 of 4 Old 03-10-2003, 12:44 AM

I feel for you!!

My son goes to day care every day - all day, and it was really really hard at first. He loves it so much though, its been easier lately to drop him off - esspecially when I see him RUN in to give his teacher a HUG!!

Love
Chelly
#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2003, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Drop in centers are the hardest. Most of the children don't know thier care providers and the providers aren't bonded to the children. It must have been horrible for you to leave him there since you didn't particularly know them well. I am so glad you found a better option. And I am glad both you and ds made it through OK.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page