kid friendly videos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2003, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh & I are very non-tv parents. However, a couple of weeks ago my ds had a pretty bad fever. I was unable to keep him still enough to get rest and get better. I then ran to the video store to get a video. Big problem. A lot of videos have either very mean, whiny or stereotypical characters. Does anyone know of any kid friendly videos that embrace strong, loving, gentle, etc., etc., characters and story lines? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 06:00 PM

I don't know how old your toddler is, but my ds (who will be 2 in May) loves anything with animals. We just watch the baby doolittle video whenever a video is put on. But your child may be too old for that.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

That is a slightly important detail I failed to mention. He'll be 2 next month (April). Thanks for your reply. I'll check those out.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:24 PM

I have only seen a few "Franklin" episodes, but they seem to have really good, positive storylines. The one I saw was an episode to teach that if you put away your toys right away it can save you a lot of hassles....he didn't want to take down his tent to ride a bike, flat tire (forgot to bring the patch stuff home from friends house when he was supposed to), couldn't find bike pump because he didn't put it away, was in yard under trees, couldn't find rake, rake was holding up his tent he didn't take down when he was supposed to, took rake out of tent, contents went flying...and so on... The interactions between the parents and between the parents and children seem really gentle and loving.

Blue's Clues is sort of a modern take on Mr. Rogers in that it is very interactive. The main guy (I've only seen Steve, evidently there is a guy called Joe now too) is a really innocent looking and engaging...waits for your kid to answer what they think with this totally interested look on his face. My 14mo is a bit young for this show, but my friend's kids love it...really interact with the show.

Over here our favorites are Baby Dolittle and Sesame Street's "Let's Make Music" featuring Stomp. I like that one because it encourages him to make music with everyday stuff and I like Stomp's mixed gender and ethnicities. The only whiner in the bunch is Telly, who thinks he needs his Tuba to make music...the storyline is explaining that you don't need an instrument to make music.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:59 PM

I second the Baby Dolittle videos. We have some Franklin videos that are my dd's they have very good story lines and have actually used how franklin handled a situation when trying to relate it to what our dd was going thru. Clifford is my ds's favorite and he is the same age as your son.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like things that are music rather than plot centered for the littlest set if they need to be occupied for a bit. There's a Wiggles video that's mostly all songs, no sketch. I owe any personal hygiene I manage to accomplish before walking out the door with dd to the Wiggles. I turn it on and dd is entranced for the 10 minutes it takes me to get us ready to leave. She thinks it's the greatest thing when I sing along and dance for her amusement while pulling clothes on, lol. Only problem is I end up singing the songs all day... (*fruit salad, yummy, yummy...*)
Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 PM

I think "Charlotte's Web" is such a cute, special movie. All the characters are gentle and/or humerous and the songs are lovely. It always makes me cry in the end when Charlotte dies! There are no scary or ugly characters like you find in so many kids movies today. The other movie we really like is an old Disney movie called "The Aristocats." It takes place in Paris and the music is really good. The antagonist in this movie is a funny old Butler and is not scary at all.

Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM

I second The Wiggles. Wonderful entertainment. Singing, dancing, loads of fun and silliness. My daughter is 23 months and adores them. Asks for them by name and when she is well (she's sick this week) she will dance around the house like a nut while watching the Wiggles. She's been watching them this week while sick and will still sing along, even if she's too fevery to dance much.

Also good: Little Bear. Maurice Sendak's wonderful characters and great animation with nice stories. Just beautiful.

Paddington Bear. Available on DVD and lots of fun.

The Muppet Show. Remember how much you loved them? These are rentable now but I bought them. I love the great 70's guests like Elton John.

Anything Blue's Clues. Especially with Steve instead of Joe. A themed half hour "game" with lots of learning cleverly stuck in. Fun songs and stories. I use Steve's sage words about frustration almost daily. "Stop. Breathe. And Think."

Denny
Old 03-12-2003, 12:03 AM

My dd loves The Red Balloon. There are some bully boys in the story but, ultimately, it's about giving love and having the love come back twofold.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:24 AM

My dd always loved Maisy - very simple colorful animation, very sweet. At his age he may like them too.

We also LOVE Little Bear, soft drawings, imaginative story lines.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:04 AM

I found a VHS of the Ezra Jack Keats collection (includes Snowy Day) at a yard sale last summer and we LOVE it! My daughter has only seen it a couple times as I only pull it out when we really need it! I also LOVE the William Wegman videos. Too funny!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM

My dd is 19mo and watches way too much tv. That said...it's usually "good stuff" that we have taped or have on tape/dvd.

Here are some of her favorites...

Sesame Street:

Let's Make Music w/ STOMP - current all time fave
25th Birthday Celebration
Elmopalooza

All three of the above are mostly music oriented. Dd dances around the living room and has just started singing with them! :-)

Dora the Explorer
Blue's Clues

One would think that she would be too young for these, but she latched on early to the songs in both shows and loves to watch. Now she's all about pointing out the stuff they are looking for in Dora and the clues in Blue.

Fisher Price Little People Videos

Some of my favorite memories of early childhood were of playing with my Little People sets and my dd has a few of them now (Barn, Garage, Bus and most recently Noah's Ark). These videos came free with some of these sets and they are really great. The theme music is sung by Aaron Neville and there are NO previews or commercials on them at all. Each video has I think 5 mini stories in claymation revolving the characters that come with the various playsets. The stories are all about sharing, helping, etc. Dd loves them.

Veggie Tales:

Sing Along Silly Songs
Ultimate Silly Songs

My sister is way into Veggie Tales and managed to wait until dd was 15mo to buy 1/2 their video library for her. Dd is way too young really to get into the regular videos but she really likes these two music ones. She sings and dances along with them and to be honest they are really silly....c'mon a cucumber singing about pet water buffalos?? :-)

I HTH, I know dd watches this stuff too much, but it makes her so happy...and most times we are watching it with her ...which makes me feel a teeny bit better.

Christine
Old 03-12-2003, 12:41 PM

We had cut out the videos for a while, now we're back on them. DS will be two next month. He still like's einstien's "world animals". We also have Little Bear. I like this very much. It's relatively quiet and calm, no crazy bright colors. It features bear, duck, hen, cat - all of DS's favorite animals.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:08 PM

My DD (who will be two next month) watches way too much TV, I know, Bad Mommy, but it's the only way I can ever get anything done around here!
Some of her favorite videos are:
Wiggles (any Wiggles video, and I taped a bunch of shows also)
Baby Doolittle (she's gotten a bit old for the Baby Mozart she used to love, but is enthralled by anything with animals in it)
Sesame Street Fiesta (teaches basic Spanish through songs)
Dora the Explorer (also teaches basic Spanish)

I will definitely look for the Sesame Street video with STOMP - She loves their dancing and music made with household objects!
Old 03-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Liz

I held off on videos for the longest time but then finally relented when he was sick - probably about the same age as your child. Somebody had given us a Teletubbies video. Now I thought I hated Teletubbies but I realise now I just hate how kids seem to be brainwashed into an obsession with Teletubbies merchandise. Well, thankfully there isn't that much stuff out there anymore so he doesn't see it to ask for it and I just won't buy it anyway. To make a long story short he was mesmerized by teletubbies and they really are geared to the very young so he really got it. There's lots of repitition and very basic storylines (if you can even call them that). When they do live action bits it's always kids from all over the world speaking other languages. It's also very calming so good for sick kid viewing, not allot of jumping around. However there was one story that involved them sliding down this slide while they sang Hickory Dickory Dock. He laughed so hard, real genuine belly laughs, everytime they went down that slide, over and over and over (12 times!). DH and I just watched him in total disbelief!

Some other non-music and dancing around shows are: Zooboomafoo (lots of animals), Little Bear (lovely stories), and Berenstien Bears (really inspiring parenting in this show!).
Old 03-12-2003, 04:25 PM

We own most of the Veggietales library too. They are good for all ages...my 19 mo old loves them, and everyone else in our family from 3 yr old Cathlin to the teens to me and dh love to watch them too. We also like the Wiggles a lot too : )
Old 03-12-2003, 08:13 PM

We really enjoy Kipper the Dog-all his videos are enjoyable for adults and kids.
Meg
Old 03-12-2003, 08:39 PM

the wiggles...esp Wiggly Wiggly World...if you read the amazon reviews that is not everyone's fav, it is a little slower (which is still pretty darn fast). It just has a few more down-tempo songs which is nice for a sick or sleepier kid. This particualr ones features a several adult and international folk songs so I like it too. The Teletubbies is lowkey too.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:07 AM

My girls love DORA (esp. my 2yo) and VEGGIE TALES and OSWALD (Nick Jr) Winnie the Pooh doesn't really have whining (unless you count Eeyore) and absolutely no scariness.

Stay away from Calliou (MAJOR whiner!) and a lot of Disney stuff has a mean bad guy and of course! stereotypes - still my girls enjoy them.

Monsters Inc (Disney) was cute I thought. Not really scary either considering it was about monsters!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 03-13-2003, 01:41 AM

DS (2-1/2) loves "There Goes a Bulldozer" It's basically just 30 minutes or so of construction equipment, sites and activities. (The host is a little dorky, and there is one part at the end where he acts as if he's been run over by a roller that I don't care for too much as I don't think it's a good example for young kids, but other than that it's great.) I think they have several different videos of this ilk: "There goes an Airplane," "There goes a Boat" "There goes a Police Car"... I haven't seen any of the others. If I were to let him, he'd watch his "tractor movie" all day, and has been that interested in it for over 6 mos now.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:20 AM

Wow! I never thought about Caillou being a whiner! My dd is currently in love with him! He does seem a bit obnoxious, but then I thought he was a pretty normal (if not overly easy to distract) 4 yr old.
Anyway, he is our current mainstay (preceeded by Teletubbies and Blues Clues)
Sara
Old 03-13-2003, 03:40 AM

Eric Carl the Hungry Catepillar and other stories, very appropriat, nothing obnoxious also not to fast pace.

And the Beatrix Potter Videos are cool, EXEPT for when Benjamin Bunnies father Spanks Peter and Benjamin, I think with a twig. But I've also seen a more modern one where Benjamin is now married to Peters sister Flopsy and they have eight of their own bunnies. He's not a spanker like his papa was

Older kids, our favorite The Jungle BOOK
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 AM

DD, who is 2.5, loves anything Maisy and I've gotten pretty fond of her myself. The videos are pretty simple and slow, which I appreciate.

There is a series called "Up Close and Personal" with a theme-horses, fruit, trains, etc. My dd loves the horse one. It's just a video of horses doing horsey things-running, eating, getting groomed, pulling wagons. There's no dialog, just the natural horse sounds and soft music here and there.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:32 PM

My dd, 2 years old, is a HUGE Wiggles fan. If I ask her what movie she wants, the anwser is always " I want Wiggle wovie! " ( No wovie isn't a typo, lol ) She also enjoys Sesame Street's " Kid's Favorite Songs " and one of their alphabet movies as well. As for TV, she LOVES Dora. None of these are unbearable to the parent, although I find myself singing Wiggle's songs all day and all night...." he want's a cuppa Dorothy's...lovely rosy tea...... " LOL.

Miranda

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
Old 03-13-2003, 02:55 PM

bear in the big blue house
little bear
spot
are my favorites....
and haven't met a kid who doesn't like the wiggles.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:38 PM

MACMOM: We can't stand Caillou either!! Between the whiny kid and the perfect middle-class parents it's pretty unbearable. I also don't find it very imaginative at all.

Little Bear is lovely in its promotion of children's imagination. Also very soothing.

Dd loves Madeline videos, but we only get the older animated ones when Cinar was doing them. It seems to have gone through several incarnations in production teams, and really deteriorated in quality, finally coming out the other end as an animated Disney direct-to-video movie that sucks!

Teletubbies actually is not bad, much to my surprise. The videos are long though, I can't imagine plunking poor dd in front of one for 75 minutes.

Spot, Kipper the Dog, Blue's Clues, and any nature video from the library with cats in it.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:25 PM

MY favorites for her (33 mo) to watch are Sesame Street. They are so nice and always learning something. Plus the songs are great and the characters are multicultural (which we don't get a lot of here in Iowa, unfortunately!).

DD likes the Little People (good message, poor presentation) and Blue's Clues. The benefit to all of these is they they are 20-30 mins, which is just enough time for me to get ready in the morning or cook supper without always having little hands to help. And we always sing all the songs together!!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:37 PM

Julia is really into Maisy right now. She's cute but that voice kind of annoys me. She also likes Mr. Rogers; Sesame Street; Spot and Little bear. Oh..also the Baby Songs videos!

mommy to Julie bear 2/17/00
"It is you who have been exposed..for I have seen the nipple on your soul!"-Elaine from Seinfeld
Old 03-13-2003, 08:52 PM

Fave of my two year old is Dora. She is ALL about Dora! I like it and think it has positive stuff.

When your child is a little older, I LOVE the Character Counts and Kids for Character videos! They are THE BEST! No religion, just positive social values. Be honest, kind, respectful, responsible, etc. A mix of six real kids with some little cartoon like sketches in between. The characters from old PBS shows (Puzzle Place, Barney, Lamb Chop, etc.) are on there too. They really are exceptional and I think everyone should own them.

Last comment - I have to respectfully disagree with Macmom on Monsters Inc. I took dd1 to that when she was 5. Worst parenting mistake of my life. She is almost 7 now and still needs a night light - never had one the first 5 years of her life. She was so traumatized. We have actually not been back to the movie theater with her since.... She is normally not scared of much - regular kid. But that movie scared her to death and she still remembers.
Kirsten
Old 03-14-2003, 03:37 AM

Ok, I admit to not being real hip on what is the best and what is not in the way of kids videos- I figure if it's on PBS, it's probably ok. But now you are making me wonder if Caillou is bad! I have a video of him and he isn't that whiney, but I watched the show today and he really was. The parents make me sick and makes dd ask/talk a lot about Dads, which is ok but hers is not in the picture, so it makes me a little uncomfortable for her to watch this great TV Dad when she is deficient in that area, lol!
Anyway, I am seeing you ladies point on the Caillou thing. I like Caillou fine but prefer Blues CLues (with Steve) and Bear in the Big Blue House myself.
Anyone else love/hate Caillou?
Sara

User Tag List