Licking chapped lips and skin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2003, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is 32 months, with our cold weather we have had to use lots of chapstick this winter. It seems she has started the habit of licking her lips, except she is also licking the skin below her lips too, which is now getting red and chapped. She sees the red spot and I tell her why it's there, should I remind her? Or ignore it? I just don't want it to crack and get infected.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 8 years old and we still go through this every winter. When she was little we had to put icky vaseline under her lip, it helped heal it, and the taste was so bad she quit licking. It's time consuming, but try to keep her lips moist, lots of lip balm. Maybe use a humidifier in the house to up the humidity, that may help a little. It's frustrating, I know. DD didn't understand until she was almost 4 what was happening, try to explain to her what the redness is from and try to discourage it, but also try to keep ahead of it. I hope this helps a little.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:23 AM

What do you do if your kid flat out refuses lip balm? Right now he has this little sore under his nose from picking it. EEWW.
I try so hard to put herbal salve on it. No way.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamarosa
What do you do if your kid flat out refuses lip balm? Right now he has this little sore under his nose from picking it. EEWW.
I try so hard to put herbal salve on it. No way.
That's where we are with my 3 year old. She HATES any kind of stuff on her lips. The only thing we've been able to do, is at naptime go in her room and goop stuff on her in her sleep. At least she gets some healing for her lips and below her lips (yep she licks there too) 2X a day.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!

User Tag List