Playing with her belly button... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd has been driving me crazy lately. She wants to play with her belly button constantly & will do things with one hand so she can keep the other one on it. She will also lift her shirt up almost over her head when she starts, which I'd rather she didn't do in public. Since she started this she hasn't been playing with her "yoni" much, but at least when she was doing that I could tell her to go to her room. I don't really have a reason for her not to do this other than it's getting a little rough - not quite scabby, but getting there. I tell her it will get sore, but she gets really upset sometimes when she doesn't want to stop. The main reason I don't want her to do it is that it really bugs me to see her twiddling all the time. I feel like I am constantly telling her to stop playing with it or to put her shirt down.
Am I making things worse by bugging her about it? It doesn't seem to make any difference if I say anything or not (except she'll stop for a couple of minutes when I ask her to). I think it's just become a habit that she enjoys. Is it reasonable to ask her to go to her room to do it?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#2 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mama2nicola
Is it reasonable to ask her to go to her room to do it?
Sure i think that would be OK. You listed a couple of reason why this needs to stop. She is doing harm to her belly button and she may hurtherself because she is so focused on her button instead of where she is going or what she is doing. i wouldn't make it a forbidden behavior vut I thin k limiting where she can play will help.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 02:44 PM

Oh, my gosh. I thought I was the only one on Earth....

When I was a kid, I always had a finger in my belly button. My parents tried not to make too big a deal out of it (though they sometimes did have to tell me to put my dress down). I gradually learned not to do it at school. But I'm 24 and still can't fall asleep unless I have a finger in my belly button, and I'm not sure I could have stayed away from it entirely as a kid.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#4 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 PM

is it worse to you than say... thumb sucking or hair twirling or nail biting...

I think all those things serve a similar purpose.
#5 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 PM

My kid does this in a sort of meditative manner. Not constantly but she does get a blissed out look to her face when she does. Me? I never got off on the belly-button thing. Can't see what she likes about it.

Denny
#6 of 9 Old 03-19-2003, 09:08 PM

I have a brother in law that does this too! I have never slept with him so I don't know what he does at night, but sometimes like if he is relaxed watching tv you will catch him with his fingers in his bellybutton.

Quote:
The main reason I don't want her to do it is that it really bugs me to see her twiddling all the time. I feel like I am constantly telling her to stop playing with it or to put her shirt down.Am I making things worse by bugging her about it?
Being a long time thumb sucker and hair twirler, I would imagine you are making it worse when you tell her to stop all of the time. I know I did it cause it made me feel better and if someone was telling me to stop it I felt bad or under watch and wanted to suck my thumb some more.

I would imagine this is not the first relatively harmless habit she is going to pick up that will go away the fastest if you just ignore it, or at least don't let her know it is so bothersome to you. And like juliacat said, I don't know how you could really stop her.
#7 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 01:59 AM

Be glad she's playing with HERS! My son likes to play with mine, and after a while, it hurts!
#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 04:52 PM

OMG!!! I thought my neice was the only one who did this. She is almost 7 now and ever since she was born she has played with her belly button. That's how we could tell she was tired, hungry, etc. she would have one hand in her mouth and the other playing with her B Button. One day while driving with her in the backseat of my car, she starts screaming "I can't find it!!" at the top of her lungs. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about and finally pulled over the car. It took me a minute to realize that she had overalls on and could not get to her B-button. Very traumatizing for her I guess. But then again this is the same child who was afraid of the color red for a while. Red lights, red applesauce, ketchup, you name it. Did I mention that she ain't quite right sometimes??
#9 of 9 Old 03-20-2003, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally posted by grumo
is it worse to you than say... thumb sucking or hair twirling or nail biting...
I don't think so, but it's hard to say. I know I had some habits as a child that I would find really annoying if dd did them. I still bite the skin around my fingernails & if anyone asked me to stop, I think I would have trouble remembering not to do it around them.
Anyway, I will try not to make a big deal about it (& remind dh not to yell at her when she lifts her shirt) & hope it's a passing phase.
Now if I can just drag her away from the TV , but that's another story.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page