Frequent and not very solid bowel movements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

My 3 1/2 year old son has been having frequent and not very solid bowel movements for the past week or so. He is very healthy and eats a very healthy diet (mostly vegetarian), and his energy levels are fine, he is as happy as ever and has not complained about it at all.

But I am little bit worried about it because there is something that it is obvioulsy not right. It is not diarrhoea, but his bowel movements are not as "solid" as they should be. He has already had three bowel movements today (one upon waking up, one a couple of hours after breakfast, and one shortly after that) - they are not very big, but they keep coming.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this matter.

Thanks a lot!

Mnv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 09:19 PM

He may have a virus. Viruses of all sorts can cause soft stool for two weeks or more. My DS seems to be especially susceptible to these kind of things and seems to have more trouble than the others with it. I would make sure that your DS is drinking lots of fluids and still has nice, light colored urine. (Dark urine is a sign of dehydration.) If you are really worried you should go to the ped, but I would say it is a mild virus and that it will stop once it has run its course.

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Old 07-30-2006, 01:11 AM

DD (2.5) is going thru the same thing right. I think she has had diarreha-like stool for about a week. We have cut her fruit (except bananas) and all cow-milk in hopes that she'll start to firm up, kwim? Hope your babe feels better soon.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had something like that with our dd at about 24 months. I think it was a virus at first, and then her gut just didn't heal.

After about a month of this, I cut out all dairy for 2 weeks and she went back to normal, even after I reintroduced dairy (I was worried about lactose intolerance/dairy allergy since it runs in dh's family).

Also, how much summer fruit is he eating? My son could live on watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries (had large servings of all 3 today). I know that some people get diarrhea from lots of watermelon.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 07-30-2006, 07:19 PM

My son was like this and we found he had food allergies to dairy and soy. Does your child have any other symptoms?

User Tag List