Would you fly without a carseat? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you fly without a carseat?
Yes 190 71.16%
No 65 24.34%
Depending on length of flight 12 4.49%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you fly without your child being in a carseat?

I was discussing this with a friend, who is planning on flying from Missouri to Florida with her 3 year old in her lap. To be totally honest, I'm horrified at the thought. I know it's expensive to buy another ticket, but my daughter will never not be in a carseat on a plane. (Well, as long as she needs a carseat in a car, she'll be in one on a plane.)

So, anyway - would you fly with your child in your lap?
#2 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 AM

I thought most airlines have 2 as the cut off for "in arms". I could be wrong.
But yes, I fly with ds (1) in my lap.
#3 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:35 AM

I've done it, with a nine-month-old. The chances of injury on a plane are so much less than in a car, I don't think it's comparable - I don't worry about riding the bus with no seatbelt, either (no disrespect to those uncomfortable with it). I thought the child had to be under 2 to fly without a ticket, though.
#4 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM

I didn't vote because there wasn't a choice for me. I flew last month and had my then 22 month old in his seat and put my small 5 year old in the seat with the lap belt. I was by myself with 3 kids and was just not able to lug 2 seats at once.

However, the PP's are right. A year old old has to have a ticket and will also have to sit in a seat, car seat or not. If your friend shows up at the airport to fly with her 3 year old on her lap she is going to be pissed when they ask for his birth certificate and tell her she either needs to pay for a seat or leave.
#5 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Yep. I would and have when dd was under 2 yo. Actually we started buying her her own seat at about 15 months when she was old enough to tolerate it. Before that she would not have sat in it. She needed to nurse the whole time, was very scared, so it would have been a waste of space and struggle. Statistically, planes are quite safe. And the pilot would probably have driven us into a mountain listening to my dd scream at the top of her lungs.....for four hours. However, your friend is talking about a 3 yo. The airlines will make her buy a seat for that age. And if they have to have a seat, I side with safety and would bring the carseat too.
#6 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Whether she ends up buying a ticket for her DD or not is her problem..lol...I've flown twice with my DD, internationally...I bought her a ticket, and was grateful to have a place to put her down.

Regardless of her age or the length of the trip, she'll always have her own seat, and I'll put her in a carseat for as long as she needs to be in one in the car. Seems easier to me than checking it, anyway.
#7 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 AM

I recently flew w/ my 1 yr old dd in my arms. What really p*ssed me off is that she was sleeping soundly in her sling and the flight attendant told me I could not have her in the sling! WTF??? Why on earth not? She was comfy and sleeping nicely and I had to wake her up by taking her out of her sling in order that she could sit *totally unrestrained* in my arms for take-off. They assured me I could put her back in the sling when the "seatbelts" light went off.

DUH! How incredibly stupid is that? I mean, what harm could possibly come to a baby being in a sling in mom's lap? If there was turbulence, she'd be safer from being tossed around. And if there was an emergency and we all had to evacuate the plane, well I would have my hands free to help my other kids off and still be able to safely get her out. What kind of stupidity is this? Can there possibly be a sound reason behind it? I can see if they were saying she *had* to be in a carseat. But no. She could be totally free in my lap, just not comfy in her sling.

She cried all the way through takeoff too!!! Served them right.
#8 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie
Seems easier to me than checking it, anyway.
That's assuming you have to bring your own, though.
#9 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Your friend will not be allowed to board the plane

Any child older than one has to have her own ticket.

That being said, I would never, no way, no how, put my child's safety at risk to save a few dollars. I would never dream of flying a plane without my children in safety seats.

I feel lap-babies are irresponsible on the parents part. The bashing may now begin.
#10 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM

If the FAA felt it was unsafe, the FAA would make it law. I doubt the airlines would protest, as they would be making more money. Knowing the financial state that the airlines are all in these days, I'm sure that they would jump at the chance to MAKE it law if any study ever indicated the slightest hint that lap-babies were in danger in any situation. Given that the government feels like the general population is too stupid to take care of themselves and needs to regulate everything under the sun, if there's no law about carseats in planes, it's probably considered pretty safe.

Not that a car seat is going to do much good if your plane is plummeting 36,000 feet anyway.
#11 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Yep, I would. I think the obvious issues of struggling with a carseat through an airport are more problematic than the very, very remote chance of a carseat-preventable injury or death occuring.
#12 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Before age 2 we did fly with dd1 in our laps, but I also brought along her carseat. I asked at the gate if the flight was full. If not I put her in an empty chair in her carseat. We flew to India with her on our laps.

Our dd2 is too big to be a lap baby now and we are taking her to India in the winter. She will have her own seat and sit in her 5pt booster seat.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#13 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama
I recently flew w/ my 1 yr old dd in my arms. What really p*ssed me off is that she was sleeping soundly in her sling and the flight attendant told me I could not have her in the sling! WTF??? Why on earth not? She was comfy and sleeping nicely and I had to wake her up by taking her out of her sling in order that she could sit *totally unrestrained* in my arms for take-off. They assured me I could put her back in the sling when the "seatbelts" light went off.

DUH! How incredibly stupid is that? I mean, what harm could possibly come to a baby being in a sling in mom's lap? If there was turbulence, she'd be safer from being tossed around. And if there was an emergency and we all had to evacuate the plane, well I would have my hands free to help my other kids off and still be able to safely get her out. What kind of stupidity is this? Can there possibly be a sound reason behind it? I can see if they were saying she *had* to be in a carseat. But no. She could be totally free in my lap, just not comfy in her sling.

the same thing happened to me! my son was very happy in his moby wrap and i had to disengage him and hold him in my arms for whatever reason. i still don't understand that rule...
#14 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM

Yes, we always do, but it is more of a matter of logistics than anything else. Since we're usually dragging around the double stroller, two playpins for sleeping, diaper bags, luggage, etc., I don't even think it would be physically possible for us to bring two extra carseats in the mix. Plus, our kids have a hard enough time sitting on our laps, I think we'd be in for serious protesting if they were strapped in their car seats for 4 + hours (the length of our normal flights).
#15 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 AM

I have never used a carseat on a plane
#16 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Yes, I would and I have. No $$ for an extra plane ticket, and no desire to lug a carseat along on our trips.
#17 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM

We always fly without carseats. If over 2, we buy them a ticket ofcourse but we dont bring a carseat.
#18 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Lap tickets are cut off when the child is over 2. Under 2 you can lap a child where they sit with you in your seat, anything over requires they have their own seat. That said I flew with 5 month old on a lap ticket. To me given the circumstances it was not worth it to haul down a carseat and then expect Olivia to magically sit in it nice since she had never been in a car seat before. And yes at the time we had her in a baby carrier and were told we needed to taker her out, there was a reason I just can't remember.
#19 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd1 always flew in my lap, nursing. She generally slept through flights. Now that she is over two, we are required to buy her a ticket for her own seat.
I flew alone last week with my two dds - one in a sling and one in her seat. No one bothered me about her sling. I did not bring the carseats on the plane as there was a 28 minute layover and I was nervous about making our connecting flight.
I honestly don't know what good they would do in the event of a plane crash. However, next time dh flies with us we will be bringing the carseats (easier to keep dd restrained - I had quite a battle with her over keeping her lap belt on this time). I also like to be certain the car seats will be with us when we land and need them again.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#20 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama

The reason for that rule is because taking off and landing are the points during the flight in which you are most likely to crash. When there is a crash landing and you have a lap baby the proper protocol is to sit the infant on the floor in front of your feet believe it or not. You do not want your baby on your lap in a crash landing. Reason? Your baby will become a human airbag for you. And that's why using a carseat when possible is always a good idea because if you have a crash landing that is survivable it may not be for the child in your lap. YOu could seriously injure or kill them by them in your lap and you certainly wouldn't be able to hold onto them properly if they are on the floor like luggage.

Isn't it interesting how they make such a HUGE deal about securing luggage but they don't about our babies?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#21 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi
The reason for that rule is because taking off and landing are the points during the flight in which you are most likely to crash. When there is a crash landing and you have a lap baby the proper protocol is to sit the infant on the floor in front of your feet believe it or not. You do not want your baby on your lap in a crash landing. Reason? Your baby will become a human airbag for you. And that's why using a carseat when possible is always a good idea because if you have a crash landing that is survivable it may not be for the child in your lap. YOu could seriously injure or kill them by them in your lap and you certainly wouldn't be able to hold onto them properly if they are on the floor like luggage.

Isn't it interesting how they make such a HUGE deal about securing luggage but they don't about our babies?
Interesting too that noone on the plane could provide this reason for me, or any reason at all, for that matter.

Still, I'm not following the logic. If *I* am seatbelted, then how is my baby going to become a "human airbag". Would my seatbelt not restrain me? And in that case, with the baby secured in a sling, the sling would restrain the baby. Heckuva lot better than the floor!
#22 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 PM

I voted Yes. And we are flying tomorrow morning to Mexico. Even though all three of my kids are still in 5 pt harnesses in the car and my youngest is rear-facing, we will not be bringing any carseats on the plane and my 17 month old will be on my lap. I did want him to have his own seat but being as how we weren't the ones paying for the trip and it was booked thru a travel agent, we ended up with a lap ticket. But I think it's going to work out just fine. I did buy a baby air vest thingie that is suppossed to go over him and hook onto me or the seat belt? Not sure I need to figure it out today. But it wouldn't make much sense if the flight attendants would make me put him on the floor during a crash?!?! weird though cause I believe it says approved by the FAA. I also am bringing my sling and was going to use it in the airport and to nurse on the plane.

We do not need a carseat in puerta vallerta so atleast now we won't have to lug it around the airport and worry about it for the rest of our vacation.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#23 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife
I voted Yes. And we are flying tomorrow morning to Mexico. Even though all three of my kids are still in 5 pt harnesses in the car and my youngest is rear-facing, we will not be bringing any carseats on the plane and my 17 month old will be on my lap. I did want him to have his own seat but being as how we weren't the ones paying for the trip and it was booked thru a travel agent, we ended up with a lap ticket. But I think it's going to work out just fine. I did buy a baby air vest thingie that is suppossed to go over him and hook onto me or the seat belt? Not sure I need to figure it out today. But it wouldn't make much sense if the flight attendants would make me put him on the floor during a crash?!?! weird though cause I believe it says approved by the FAA. I also am bringing my sling and was going to use it in the airport and to nurse on the plane.

We do not need a carseat in puerta vallerta so atleast now we won't have to lug it around the airport and worry about it for the rest of our vacation.
The air vest is approved for cruising altitude. They won't let you use it for take off and landing

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#24 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 03:08 PM

I do want to add that even though I am obviously pro-carseat useage on a plane that it definitely is something that you need to look at the risk:benefit ratio and decide from there. Not to mention the financial aspect of it all. I don't fault parents at all for putting their kids on their laps. Those tickets can be expensive! I know some babies hate their carseats so would end up in the parent's lap the whole time anyways. I just don't want anyone to feel like I am criticising them because I understand there are several instances where it is just not feasible to have them in their own seat.

Here is the link I like the best for explaining why you should use a seat when possible: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

#25 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM

I will be flying to Mexico with DS in five days. He'll be in my lap--which was perfectly fine with me until I started reading this thread... I really can't leave him in my wrap?!? I have to put him on the floor if we're crashing?!?

Should not have looked at this thread...
#26 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihathi
I will be flying to Mexico with DS in five days. He'll be in my lap--which was perfectly fine with me until I started reading this thread... I really can't leave him in my wrap?!? I have to put him on the floor if we're crashing?!?

Should not have looked at this thread...
YOu can have your dc in your wrap during cruising, just not take off and landing. And really, half the time the attendants don't notice they are in the wrap anyways so never say anything. Also, remember, if you are crashing and refuse to put your kid on the floor I doubt they are going to break out the stun gun

#27 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM

We used the flight vest for DD on her many trips to visit my parents in FLA. The vest is red and I dressed her in red so noone really paid any attention. she wore the vest through take off and landing. DS will wear it too in a red outfit. DD is 3 now and is getting her own seat.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#28 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 04:04 PM

I voted yes. When I had only one child, and travel was not so difficult, I always drug her heavy full size car seat on and off every plane. And I would still take car seats for dd3 if we were renting a car at our destination, since we'd need one anyone - though I may just check it... But if we weren't going to be using a car there, I'd just buy each kid a seat (mine are now 10, 5 and 3) and not take the car seat.

I am fanatical about car seat use in cars. But if the plane goes down, I don't think her car seat is going to save her... I would put the airplane seat belt on her of course - wouldn't want her flying through the cabin if we hit turbulance.
#29 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I were to travel now with my almost 5yo I'd probably just put him in a regular airplane seatbelt.

The primary reason I would have taken a carseat on an airplane before that is to have the carseat available at my destination. If I was visiting somebody who had a carseat for me, I'd probably put a 3yo in the plane's seatbelt.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#30 of 112 Old 08-04-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamohumm6
If the FAA felt it was unsafe, the FAA would make it law. I doubt the airlines would protest, as they would be making more money. Knowing the financial state that the airlines are all in these days, I'm sure that they would jump at the chance to MAKE it law if any study ever indicated the slightest hint that lap-babies were in danger in any situation. Given that the government feels like the general population is too stupid to take care of themselves and needs to regulate everything under the sun, if there's no law about carseats in planes, it's probably considered pretty safe.

Not that a car seat is going to do much good if your plane is plummeting 36,000 feet anyway.
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. The FAA has spoken against lap babies and feel that they are very unsafe. The ONLY reason they don't make it a law is because AIRLINES DON'T WANT THEM TOO. Airlines believe that people would rather find an alternate mode of transportation than be 'forced' to pay for seats for their babies.

You read that right...airlines are more concerned about getting your money than keeping your children safe.

The ONLY reason there is no law is because of this. The FAA and AAP have spoken out strongly against lap babies.

And the carseat isn't for a plane crash, for pity's sake. It's for turbulence. There have been documented instances of children being killed by being flung from their parents' laps during heavy turbulence.

Also, even a small crash on the run way can cause a parent holding a child to crush the child to death. Nice, huh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page