Hot August Sun for June 05 Babies! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm alive!!!! No further vomiting. Just nauseated! How exciting to be just nauseated! Ah the things a mama can celebrate. I ended up in the ER getting fluids. I took the day off of work yesterday too because I needed it. I suppose one of these days I need to confess to everyone that I'm pregnant, but I just love not having everyone else knowing. I'm thinking of waiting a few more weeks and if people figure it out before then, they canjust act surprised when I finally tell. I think my mom is wondering because she had to come over and watch the girls while I was at the ER. DH and I told her it was food poisoning, but i'm not sure she bought it. Moms are too smart sometimes. Her birthday is on September 4th. Maybe I should tell her then.

Haircut update: the hairstylist ended up cutting the rest of the hair a little shorter so that the half-mullet will catch up with it sooner. If you gather the hair in the right spot you can get it into poney tails on each side.

I have to add a comment about ex-stasis's friends album. You might only be seeing part of the picture. I made an album that was for the relatives to see. It had one picture each of the baby with me, Jeff, each sibling, each grandparent, each aunt/uncle, etc. I think I maybe have one picture of me breastfeeding with each girl, but I wouldn't think of displaying it and making a big deal of it (I'm in the midwest after all). I guess I feel lucky that I've delivered in a hospital that has a very strong breastfeeding record. They specifically ask parents if they want the baby to have formula or a pacifier. Even if a doctor says the kid needs some formual they make a big deal out of asking the parents if that's OK with them. Vaccines have to be signed for by parents.

Meli and no longer in Peru Michelle: love seeing the pictures! So glad you had a good time together!

Back to work!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#122 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa
I have to add a comment about ex-stasis's friends album. You might only be seeing part of the picture. I made an album that was for the relatives to see. It had one picture each of the baby with me, Jeff, each sibling, each grandparent, each aunt/uncle, etc. I think I maybe have one picture of me breastfeeding with each girl, but I wouldn't think of displaying it and making a big deal of it (I'm in the midwest after all). I guess I feel lucky that I've delivered in a hospital that has a very strong breastfeeding record. They specifically ask parents if they want the baby to have formula or a pacifier. Even if a doctor says the kid needs some formual they make a big deal out of asking the parents if that's OK with them. Vaccines have to be signed for by parents.
You're right I might be seeing the "censored" album... thanks for mentioning that... sometimes I just get way too emotional about other people's birth experiences. She is probably okay with it and probably didn't really envision it happening differently (except for the c/s part), so I should just stop thinking about it. I"m glad that you had a good hospital experience though... I must remember that there ARE people who have good hospital experiences.

On a different topic... I just made some whole wheat puff krispies squares with dried fruit and nuts... really like a granola bar I guess! I made them because we're going on a LONG car trip starting Friday... we're going to the East coast of Canada.. which is approx 18 hours away. Whee! So I've come up with a whole bunch of healthy snacks for Istra, bringing lots of books and magazines, toys... wow... I'm scared she's just going to flip out and it's going to take us days and days to get to our little lighthouse cottage!

Ahh!
#123 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 04:04 PM

fey- ha! we agreed on a new name (luis calet). and now i'm having second thoughts. i have a bit of time to decide still, but i think we might stick with luis estéban. who knows?

SD michelle- good to know you are feeling better!

raising my two sunshine children.

#124 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM

I think I'm a little tired and edgy today, but...I'm going to chime in anyway...

I had a very medicalized birth by the end of things and I'm fine with it. Yes, ideally I wanted an intervention free birth but it didn't work out that way and I've dealt with that. I had a c/s, my baby went to the nursery while I was out of it and my family came and held the baby while I was recovering. My pictures may look like a horror show to someone else, but to me they're reminders of one of the best days of my life.
#125 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppence
I think I'm a little tired and edgy today, but...I'm going to chime in anyway...

I had a very medicalized birth by the end of things and I'm fine with it. Yes, ideally I wanted an intervention free birth but it didn't work out that way and I've dealt with that. I had a c/s, my baby went to the nursery while I was out of it and my family came and held the baby while I was recovering. My pictures may look like a horror show to someone else, but to me they're reminders of one of the best days of my life.
I hear you, Charlotte. I think the difference (as far as I can tell, me being neither you nor my friend) between your experience and my friends is that you went into it wanting an intervention free birth and had the birth you had out of necessity. My friend went into it knowing very little (when I talked to her she thought that a "natural birth" was anything that wasn't a c/s) and also with the attitude "just give me the epidural!" I think she relied too much on her doctor (who she admitted had no time to answer even her simple questions) to get her through her experience. So she got the epidural and ended up with "failure to progress" like so many others.

I'm not necessarily disappointed in my friend (though I wish she had read a little more, or explored her options), I'm disappointed that this is how so many hospital births turn out, when it doesn't have to be that way.

I didn't mean anything against people who have c-sections, in general. Mine is a specific kind of disappointment that just happens to apply to a lot of women's experiences, though of course not all.
#126 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM

we survived daycare! i'm the only one that cried. ds actually hit dh with the door trying to push him out it because he wanted to go play! needless to say, i'm no longer worried about dc. his dcp is really nice and he really likes her so it's a huge relief.

mamita and meli-you are adorable! that's so cool that you could meet up!

mclisa-sorry for your pukeyness. i feel about 50% better. i'm almost at 14 weeks so i'd like to think it's going to go away soon.

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#127 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Anne: glad daycare went well for you. It's nice when they go at this age because they want to play with toys. Babies just want to be held by someone.

la mamita: how do you pronounce "Calet"? No 't'?

Well, Maddie survived her first day of Kindergarten. I thought going all day would tire her out. No luck. Just made her sassy.

Claire picked up Jeff's cold. She's coughing and has a terribly runny nose.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#128 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Charlotte....

I am so sorry if my words offended you. I am so passionate on the subject of women's rights, and I hate it when women dont get what they want/deserve in birth.

I am also the worlds worst at spouting off. I am so sorry...none of my words were intended toward you. I am sorry....:
#129 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis
I hear you, Charlotte. I think the difference (as far as I can tell, me being neither you nor my friend) between your experience and my friends is that you went into it wanting an intervention free birth and had the birth you had out of necessity. My friend went into it knowing very little (when I talked to her she thought that a "natural birth" was anything that wasn't a c/s) and also with the attitude "just give me the epidural!" I think she relied too much on her doctor (who she admitted had no time to answer even her simple questions) to get her through her experience. So she got the epidural and ended up with "failure to progress" like so many others.

I'm not necessarily disappointed in my friend (though I wish she had read a little more, or explored her options), I'm disappointed that this is how so many hospital births turn out, when it doesn't have to be that way.

I didn't mean anything against people who have c-sections, in general. Mine is a specific kind of disappointment that just happens to apply to a lot of women's experiences, though of course not all.
I think it is really sad that, usually, in order to even *try* for a natural birth in a hospital you need to do a TON of research, fight each step in the hospital and have someone there as an advocate. because it's not just the women who have the education and resources available to them to do that who deserve to have "natural" births or "happy" births or births where they have some control and some say. i'd hope that each woman, whether or not they have an easy/perfect/uncomplicated birth or not, at least is treated with respect. the comment that you made selena about her doctor not answering her questions really galls me.

calet rhymes with annette.

anne- i'm so glad that he's taking day care well. i'm anticipating a huge crying scene (his) and having to come back to get him. that's what happened last time i tried a babysitter for him. the problem is that he doesn't forget about me anymore when i leave! my dad took him for a walk yesterday and he said that luis kept asking for teta ie to nurse.

#130 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita
the comment that you made selena about her doctor not answering her questions really galls me.
Yeah, me too. My friend, apparently, took this doctor's "I'm too busy to answer your questions" attitude as a sign of the doc's prestige... as in, he must be a REALLY GOOD doctor (ie. in demand) if he doesn't even have time to answer a little question.

So sad.
#131 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Wow, what a burst of conversation! And I am pooped -- went to Miles's first soccer practice tonight. It was grueling -- within the first five minutes some little girl smacked his hand and he ran over to me crying saying that he didn't want to play soccer anymore. All the kids freaked out at one point or another. The worst was two parents standing behind me screaming at their kid, "Run, Nick, run! Go after the ball!" and the dad muttering, "He's no soccer player." These kids are FOUR!!! So, I don't know. The coaches, on the other hand, seem very nice. And at the end of practice he said he likes it and can't wait to go again. Kids.

Selena, how did you know it was me in your dream? I am so intrigued. Also, I can identify with your feelings about your friend's birth. One of my friends was talked into inducing a week early because her damn doctor was going on vacation ... her baby's lungs filled with fluid and she had to go into the NICU for Christmas and stay there for a few weeks. The whole thing was so avoidable, IMO. I've heard bad things about this (female) OB from other mothers too -- one, who wound up with a C-section, says she felt like her birth was stolen from her. Grrrrr.

Nancy, isn't it funny that the one thing that all those blonde babies have in common is their Hispanic heritage? My dh is half Puerto Rican.

McLisa, I can't believe you were in the emergency room! Stay healthy, mama.

Anne, hang in there. It will get better! Glad daycare went well.

I know I'm forgetting someone but I have to go drink some water -- feeling a little dehydrated.
#132 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 PM

i just had a wonderful massage! so worth splurging on. my neck is almost useable again

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#133 of 242 Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 PM

hehehe...i figured i'd post this here

#134 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yay anne....now its all downhill. Seems like just yesterday y'all were helping me come up with my senior title...
#135 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 AM

anne! what are you going to put for your senior title?

#136 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 AM

yay anne! and yay me?

ok, yeah, i'm excited. i'm having another May baby!
#137 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

#138 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Oh, bamamom, it's totally ok! I'm just super-sensitive--it was just a rough day.
#139 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM

yay Selena
congratulations! welcome aboard the pg bandwagon

i have no idea what to put as my title....my brain is already swamped with school crap.:

#140 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Wow Selena! Congrats!
#141 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

anne..how about "swamped with school crap preggo mama to spudlet..."
#142 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Wow, Selena!!! : :

Great news!
#143 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM

: Congrats Selena!!!!

ok, who's next?

anne- what are you studying again? i forget.

#144 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
mcs

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! selena! oh boy oh boy babies are everywhere! i get so gidddy thinking of it all- the finding out, the realization, the months of happy unpleasentsness, and anticipation, and heartburn..........and the baby.
my little baby is sooo big now. she is just too smart- i want a little pile of soft skin to hold. we were talking about waiting till around december. i don't know what we are doing! (nothing acctually, not dtd too much this week, but not trying to prevent when we do and not charting and not thinking of the reality of it all)

sorry to ramble, i am just so excited about my brothers girlfriends baby. I talked to her yesterday and she is having a hard time nursing- the baby had only nursed twice and she sounded really discouraged. she had a lot of visitors in the room so we couldn't talk too long and i don't know her that well so i don't know how much to "push" it. i wouldn't blame her if she can't keep it up -she is doing this alone, my brother is in prision now and she works and is trying to get her nursing degree too. butt, i get the feeling that she respects my parenting and i know that she really does want to nurse. what do you all think? should i give her another call just to see how it is going? i mean, my mom is a big advocate and was even there to help her with the first latch, but she does the old 5 min. this side, now 10 min. that side. i also have a friend in the same town who is just filled with knowledge. maybe i should offer to hook them up? i mentioned it to her before, but maybe i should again?

too much coffee michelle? maybe. dh family comes in today, but instead of cleaning or packing, i have been painting a bed and day dreaming of the curtains that i will hang in the bedroom.
gtg
hope the nausea passes michelle.
i would love to see the miles show!
mcs

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#145 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 AM

Congratulations, Selena!!!

Quote:
ok, who's next?
NOT ME!!!
#146 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Oh, Meli, I forgot to answer your question about the dream yesterday! I knew it was you because when I heard the voice on the phone, I got a flash of your face in my head.... the face I'd seen in the pic of you and Michelle and the babies! So that's probably where the dream came from... just seeing that pic the other day.
#147 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

y;'all are funny.

I want to wait til winter or early spring to conceive again. I gotta get my body cleaned up!
#148 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Gwen has had thrush for 2 or 3 weeks now. I can't seem to cut out sugar and the Gentian Violet isn't cutting it. I get lazy after a few days and hate fighting her. I suck. Now, I think I might have thrush IN MY NOSE from all her open mouth kisses there (of course it could all be my imagination, too.)
I started giving her nystatin today. I hope that kills it for her, what can I do for me? Preferrably something natural and easy to come by. I can't afford a doctor visit right now. I called my sister (nurse) and told her I have thrush and that's how I got the nystatin for dd. Should I take it too? I don't want to run out.
#149 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

DAvina...take tons of garlic, and eat it too if you can stand it.

Also, go to the health food store and buy Grapefruit seed extract, and put about 6 drops in some straight grape juice and slug it. Do that about 3 times a day until the bottle is gone.

Grapefruit seed extract is also commmonly called GSE.

Those things are both bombs to thrush(yeast).

IM me if you want more help
#150 of 242 Old 08-24-2006, 04:14 PM

I've been trying to rememgber to take garlic pills daily since I already have those here. Will get some GSE, too. But YUCK that stuff is so gross. Thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page