***May04 Mamas in September*** - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
emmalola, you threadkill-ah, you!

hard to believe it's been just two weeks since i was laboring and birthing our new little one. it seems like he's always been here. marek has become increasingly cute with his awareness of his baby brother, saying things like, "i have to go check on baby brother" when he notices neither bill or i are holding him. now if we could just quell his insistence on screeching when he wants something... argh...

still deciding on a name for the new one. we're down to the final two and are having a hard time choosing. some moments i think he looks like one and other moments i think he looks like the other.

my dad flies in late tomorrow night to stay for 2.5 weeks. i'm excited. of course, it also means bill is going back to work regular hours next week and that kind of sucks. i've been really sentimental about our relationship and the way it used to be before kids. watching barbara walters interview with terri irwin didn't help with this feeling either... talk about a passionate relationship that couple had. i have always thought steve irwin was a fantastic person for his energies in wildlife preservation, and the world has indeed lost a great advocate for the animals.

the little one is still nursing really well. a much different and i think much better nurser than marek ever was. my nipples are still hurting somewhat, and i think i'm going to mix up some liquid grapefruit seed extract dilution tomorrow and start using it in case it's thrush.

our first new couch arrives on tuesday. yahooey! still have to find new homes for our old cat-scratched one and the two comfy chairs that match it. oh well, they can sit in the garage while we do that.

we've had a heat wave here this whole week -- in the 80s. nice, but i think i'm really ready for fall now.

time to go hang with my bigger boys for a little bit before marek's bedtime.

with love,
claudia

p.s. send fiddle and her little L some healing vibes... they both came down with the icky stomach bug that's going around out here. L was up most of last night puking and she started feeling crappy sometime this morning/afternoon. she never made it out here to bring us food for tonight because of it.
#212 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 AM

fiddlefaddle---so sorry to hear you were dooooown!: that is really awful and I hope it clears up soon.

TC-I am dying to hear your name options! When you finally choose I can't wait to hear it. Who IS the new little dude? I sure wish I could just come over and relieve you of your old sofas...I just yesterday put money down on a new house!!!!! Renting it, I mean!!! It is unfurnished. Most rentals here are furnished since that is the market (vacationers, etc). I am totally psyched because where I live now, while nice and cozy, is tiny and this is a whole big house with lots of patio, some grass...it is great and in my same neighborhood (which is a great neighborhood, and almost impossible to rent anything for under $800/mo minimum. Now, I know you in urban areas will sniff at that but this is MEXICO!!! When I first came here rents were reasonable!) So now I will have plenty of room for all my maymama visitors whenever they get their a$$es down here. I am so excited and nervous. It's a lot more rent than I pay now but I'm feeling groovy since I made some good money this past month. And then, I am also in negotiations with my mother to bring her down here to live...yes...nervous about that but overall think it's a good thing. We'll reserve my current apt. for her as a trial home, for when she comes down here in January. I know I will be inviting more drama into my life but it just makes the most sense overall. She may decide not to move here but at least we'll know.

What do we do well? Hmmmm. Sol is quite good at balancing on things, walking/running in precarious positions, climbing on cement walls and sitting on the top of them, and generally doing things that make my heart beat fast and make me need to look away while dad helps her.

Yesterday I had some bodywork that I have been needing for quite some time, my neck vertebra were out, and this guy can do that kind of thing (like a chiro but spending more time with the muscles, like a PT). It was incredible! First he asks, "so, who's a pain in your neck?"
I think we ALL know the answer to that one.
Then he says, "I'm getting that you feel very responsible".
I made some response about my world and then suddenly, a big wave of tears came over me as I felt how overwhelming my life is despite my general veneer of being on top of everything. At the same moment, my neck lets go and goes back into it's proper alignment.
Aren't bodies amazing?
He made the comment that when one is superwoman, one enables others to not step up to the plate. And that it's hard to compete with superwoman--she makes every man look bad (which, we both agreed, is not hard to do). And that I need to ask for help.
Gah! When will this personal development biz ever cease? (I know, I know, when I die...jeez...)
Sol is withdrawing every stick of this very smelly incense and waving it under my nose, her nose, the dog's nose...
Now she is singing and doing the same. She was singing to Amara this morning, and those moments just melt my heart utterly.

Do you guys know I think of you each & every day? It is strange to talk about you to others--ie, this friend I have, well I've never met her but we've been friends for over two years online--well, anyway she blah blahblah...
#213 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Hope the nasty tummy bug ceases soon, fiddle and luke! :

els-congrats on the new place! So very exciting and fresh! Best of luck with the mamadrama. It may be just what she needs. Her little granddaughters will be wonderful therapy for her!

Last night, we were downstairs in our basement. It's finished and has a bedroom for guests down there. Well, sarah and Katie were playing in the bedroom, and Katie had climbed into the bed. Sarah was in there playing, too, and Katie says to her "Sarah, wanna come snuggle?" to which Sarah replies "Sure!" and climbs in with her so they could snuggle/tickle/giggle feverishly. Was the cutest thing EVER!
#214 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah'sMama View Post
Katie says to her "Sarah, wanna come snuggle?" to which Sarah replies "Sure!" and climbs in with her so they could snuggle/tickle/giggle feverishly. Was the cutest thing EVER!

: that is truly an adorable scene!!! *sigh* the pleasures that await us new mamas of two...
#215 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 01:28 PM

Hiya mamas-

Claudia - Good to hear from you! Anxiously awaiting the name and more pics.

Fiddle - Hope the tummy bug goes away soon. It SUCKS, I know first-hand. Just about everyone I know IRL has had it in the past month, including us at the beach.

Emmalola - Sigh. You know how I feel about living with parents. I'm sorry you're in a downswing right now. I hope ya'll find a new place, literally or figuratively, and no hard feelings happen as a result. Sigh.

Elsanne - Yeah, so living with parents. Hmmmm. From your previous posts, it does sound as if this might be a very good thing for your mom. Please just be sure it is also a good thing for YOU. And your new place sounds fab. I am seeing a visit to Mexico in my future...

Sherri - Glad to see you on here. Your girls seem so connected. Those are the things that make me want a sibling for Lily.

Thinking of everyone else, too. I am swamped with school again but it is going well. There are also 8 new people in my cohort (people entering the grad program who were already nurses) so that is exciting. It takes energy to form new relationships, though, you know? I find myself asking the same people the same questions about their partner's name, where they live, etc., and feeling stupid. But then they do it to me and I feel better.

What do we do well...did I already answer this? Oh right, that was in the PDX thread. Ha. Um, I am a pretty good student in most ways. As a mama, I am very laid-back and am able to let Lily explore and make messes without too much hindrance. I.e., I am good at cleaning up messes and not being mad about them.

Lily is really loving and snuggly. She is almost scary-good at sensing when I or DH is upset/down/whatever, and trying in her toddler way to get us out of a funk. She is also great at wordplay, rhyming and singing, making up stories, etc. She has an amazing memory.

And, last but not least, DH is playful, patient, and so demonstrative in his affections. He is not afraid to be a dad in every way in front of anybody, and I love that about him. I know we weren't necessarily supposed to put our DH's stuff down, but I'm feeling especially thankful today.

So, here's my novel for the weekend. Have a great one, everymama!

Sarah
#216 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM

Oh, and Lisa, I meant to say that no, I hadn't heard about that program. I am sadly out of the loop these days. I am ashamed to admit I really only looked here in Portland when I applied, here at OHSU and at Birthingway (CPM program). Keep dreaming, mama! Now that I am in the graduate program I am *so* inspired again.

Speaking of inspiration, here's a fascinating read for anyone interested in pregnancy/birth-related stuff: _Expecting Trouble_ by Thomas Strong. Really eye-opening for me. All about how prenatal care as practiced in America is basically worthless. Kind of dense, but really interesting.
#217 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 PM

:Puke pretty much sums up my current state. i am not actually a puker (kk i don't know how you got through pregnant life). but my stomach is in my throat tied up in a knot constantly. i can't cope with anything. dishes are up to my ears. dh is at work today. he says 'i'll do the dishes when i get home. and please go buy some paper plates' i am actually going to muster the resolve to do them but i think i will break down and get some paper plates to get through the next 2 weeks. we never usually have them. i hit the couch the moment i get home and went to bed at 8:30 2 times this week! very unlike me. did i mention :Puke !!!!!! ugh. hormonal poisoning :

i'm sorry beth and luke got the barfbug. i don't know how we haven't gotten it yet. it is either the same one we had last year or we are next in line. i hope the fern household has speedy recovery!!!!

i think elsanne the key is having your mom in her own apartment. i couldn't live with my parents or my inlaws. before i got pregnant our grand plan was a summer 07 baby and my mom was talking about getting an apartment up here for next summer. never a delusion that we would share living space : but i would love the benefit of having her here. i called and said 'better start looking for an apartment for next summer!!!' emmalola - i've been reading your blog. that girlfriend would drive me batty. and i find it really hard to believe they haven't done much lentil-watching. have you tried the 'we're going to a movie right now. the lentil will have xyz for dinner and he should be in bed by 9'??? that's the tactic i would take force it!!! *rubs hands together deviously*

i love hearing these sibling adorable moments. i'm already having sadness about isaac's ursurpment from the 'only throne'. he's had it pretty good these last 2 years so my vow is to lavish him wiht as much attention as possible (all while laying on the couch of course).

i am having big internal debate about going with a midwife through the providence system. or going with my ob again. i liked my ob. i just don't know if i would prefer the more hands on midwife with you through the whole labor thing. or maybe i should just get a doula. i felt like my ob was really great for the whole 2 hours he was with me. i don't knoooooooow but i should probably make an appointment somewhere soon. i think prenatal visits seem kinda pointless. but i guess they catch people that really do have problems.

just got off an hourlong convo with my mom. i guess i really should do *something* here.
#218 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Just a quick pop in to tell you all I have MASTITIS. Ug, it sucks worse that I ever could have imagined. I feel so much better today than yesterday, but I still feel like crap. It's like having the flu *and* a beat-up boobie. I think I've been doing too much.
#219 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 04:26 PM

yeah, I just love it when all the books say "If you have mastitis it's your body's way of telling you you're doing too much. take a day or two off and spend them in bed, nursing and reading...." blah blah blah. If I had a day or two to take off and spend them in bed, don't you think I would've done that already? geez.

Yes- the girlfriend situation is a real dragola. I'm in this place now where I can't really look my dad in the eye and tell him I want this or that because I'm just so pissed about it all. I just had to tell him to take the garbage out- the garbage that's been sitting on the front stoop for a week. I hate being in this place where we're playing stupid games about chores. I feel like I already lived with roommates once, been there, DONE THAT! : Ah, well. There's an end in sight. We'll move out as soon as we get our own place, and that makes it all tolerable. thanks for all the support, gang!

jstar- I so feel for you. hang in there! paper plates are not the end of the world. The thing that got me through that period with the lentil was lemon hard candies. I don't think I could have done anything without those.
#220 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Claudia- I am so sorry I wan't able to deliver the meal I made you. I hope I didn't leave you guys in a huge lurch. So far I have been able to avoid the puckies myself, just total exhaustion and a really queezy stomach. When I get up from the couch, I snack on your meal. :

Heatherfeather- I know you don't get much comp time right now. Know that you are loved.

Emmalola- sheeshorama, it sounds like you are having to parent you PARENTS. You do not need two more kids.

Kristine- mastitis. like you needed that. I hope that resting and nursing take care of it quickly.

Jstar: ugh. I totally know what it's like to be pregnant and exhausted and queezy AND have to take care of a toddler AND have to work. Yuck. The first trimester doesn't last forever. It's been much better for me this trimester, and I'm sure it will be the same for you.

Sarah- I'm glad you're feeling inspired by the midwifery part of the program. Soooooooo exciting that in not too long, you'll be helping mamas bring healthy babies into the world!

Sherri-: you do give me some hope that this raising-more-than one thing has benefits to counteract all the work.

L update: I hate being so dependent upon on medical intervention. After a recent conversation with my mom, I've had to admit to myself that without modern medicine, L would almost definitely not be alive at this point. Take, for instance, these tummy bugs he gets. He got one before the tube and had to be put on IV fluids because he was so dehydrated he couldn't cry tears and his mouth was completely dry. He's had several of the bugs since then, but we do the following: 1. Give him a VERY expensive oral dissolving pill (zophran) which keeps him from puking for eight hours, and then 2. Put his tube back in (since he puked it up) and hydrate him with pedialite. We always let him puke and fight it on his own for as long as he can, but when it's been more than 12 hours and he can't keep down a sip of liquid an hour, we have to do something. Since he came down with this a day an a half ago, we've resorted to the zophran twice. He's puking today and can't keep any liquids down (just puked and fell back asleep, as a matter of fact), but I'd rather let him fight it on his own during the daytime, and give him a third pill/ tube hyrdation tonight so we can all sleep. So to look on the bright side, we DO have medical intervention, thank Goddess, and we are able to take care of Luke on our own without spending time in the ER or hospital. I need to count my blessings, I know, and be thankful that since he DOES have the tube, he's able to be a happy healthy boy most of the time. Sigh.

Doh- Beavers just fumbled the ball- gonna take a little cat nap as I listen to the game.
#221 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Check it out; I'm HERE! I have been here, just reading and not posting, sorry! I am thinking of every single one of you mamas and I MISS you and you all muchly.
(bear with me, I've had about one glass of wine. I am such a lightweight!)

Fiddle, s to you, mama. Yes, be thankful for the medical intervention, and also, be totally proud of you and your whole family for holding up so amazingly well through it all! Having read all the trials and tribulations with L, I am just so in awe of your strength. I know, we do what we have to do, as mamas, but I truly think that you have gone above and beyond. You rule, mama.

KK, OUCH with the mastitis. I am lucky in the fact that I have never had it, but I've had plugged ducts and the like and yeah, maybe it's because we "do too much", but damn, don't we ALL do too much?!? : : Well...get what rest you can, and take good care of you! :
"read and nurse, blah blah blah" Indeed! : I read when I nurse, but at NAPTIME, all the while, tryhing to keep Rowan from tweaking my other nipple, and then while patting his back for 1/2 hour+, while my legs fall asleep from all the STANDING.

Emmalola, and good luck dealing with dad & girlfriend. I can imagine that being ROUGH. My in-laws were here for a WEEKEND and I thought I was gonna Grr! They left messes everywhere, my FIL hung his DIRTY UNDERWEAR over our shower! And he brought donuts and sweets from the Honeydew down the street; EVERY morning they were here! Do you know how HARD it was for me to hide that stuff from Rowan?!? : Lame lame lame.

So, DH and I were gonna watch an episode of Buffy tonight, so I should go. : I've been online for a WHILE now, putting all sorts of stuff on Ebay and Half.com (we need MONEY, mamas! We are destitute. ) and this morning, we had a yard sale and brought in about $15. Whoo-hoo. Well, it was fun to sit in the porch chair-swing and read, and let Rowan play with the neighborhood kids in our yard. DH goes back to work (new job!!) Monday so we're having as much relaxation time as we can while we can. Hence, the drinking.

I didn't respond to everyone, but I am thinking of you and I love you! I truly do feel connected to you all, even if it's through a cable.

Speaking of, Elsanne, I don't know if I ever mentioned this to you (WOW it sounds like your Mexico City weekend was great! I want to go to Mexico SO badly!!) but a long while ago you sent me a homemade card with Frida on the front; did I ever tell you HOW AMAZINGLY ENCHANTED I was with it!
I ADORE Frida and I just got so : when it appeared in my mail! I am thinking of it because I found it while cleaning my desk (okay, STARTING to clean my desk! You should SEE it. this afternoon.

I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the weekend. The wetaher's been wonderful here so I really can't complain.
Okay, I COULD...Rowan is beng a total freak. : : And not sleeping well. And OH, the tantrums. And OH, the whining.
But he is also being a sweetie and talking so much we can hardly keep up! You should hear how he says "vampire"! (um, yeah, we're raising a goth kid. He calls all fall decorations "halloweens"! ) And skeleton is "skell", and he just started saying "penguin" the right way. I loved how he said "caman" for penguin! Oh well...
Oh, and potty learning?! Heehee...he can take it apart!

Anyway, I'm going to hang with DH now. Much LOVE to you all!
#222 of 223 Old 09-30-2006, 11:55 PM

#223 of 223 Old 10-02-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
Doh- Beavers just fumbled the ball- gonna take a little cat nap as I listen to the game.
WHAT!!??!! You're a Beavers fan?

GO DUCKS!

No time to post - just hi!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page