August '05 mamas - we have toddlers...wow! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 229 Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
- Beautiful pics, I really enjoyed them

- Yes, I think its a given that healthy organic eating in the states is more expensive than cheapo processed eating - at least on the west coast (where much is grown) - it cost a pretty penny... - which helps to flame the whole fast food nation/fast foods/junk/obesity ect.

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#62 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

So I had my very first chiro adjustment today - I have sciatic pain with this pregnancy that is like nothing I've ever known - and I can't sleep now. My back is on fire and I'm nauseous.

Is this normal?

eta: spelling...

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#63 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 AM

Emily, hopefully Kristin while chime in, but in my experience, it's totally normal.

I'm so sorry!!! That's just awful when back pain is keeping you awake. Did the chiro give you any instruction about ice or heat to follow-up?

This doesn't help tonight--but call the chiro in the am just to be sure. Maybe they can do some soft tissue stuff to help calm it down.

I use a lot of Icy Hot on my back. I know it doesn't actually treat anything...but it does make me feel better. (Don't know about these chemicals applied topically in pregnancy! Probably fine...but just wanted to add disclaimer!)

Is there any chance you could get to a pool in the next few days? It might feel good to float and get the weight of the womb off your back. I saw a study recently about water exercise being the most effective treatment for low back pain in pregnancy.

I hope you can sleep tonight!!! I wish I could do something helpful. I'll be up for awhile if you can't sleep.

Sorry, sweetie...

-Adrienne
#64 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Adrienne.

I'm up this morning and feeling a little better - if it's normal, then I can totally deal with that.

I see him again next week. He had requested every-other-day appointments to begin with, but it's such a production to go over there (3 hours in car, dh takes off work to take me over and take care of Adam, etc.) that I can't justify it right now.

There's a pool at the motel next door that we can use for $2 - that's a great idea....I'm going to try to go over today.

Back later to post - I've caught up on everyone's posts, but Adam is trying to help me type right now, so off I go. Love to all.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#65 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 AM

Katie --

Sounds like A is busy working on the physical so the words are coming later. My babe is busy working on the words (she knows about 20 now) so the physical stuff is coming later.

O will NOT walk. She took 2 steps a few weeks ago. The sitter got her to take some more steps the other day and then O would not even get up on her feet after that. She really does NOT want to do it right now. She cruises and crawls and that's it. Whatever works for her!

Hey do you think it's too late to start to EC? I thought I should not bother since I'm not with her all the time. Maybe I should? We just got her a potty yesterday and I figure why not try.

Fridgeart--

Organic is more but whole foods are not. I buy grains that I scoop myself and they are not too expensive. Organic veggies are another story. They have learned they can charge more so they do. And now the US is changing organic standards so that some "organic" will not really be organic. Gotta love the US.

Sometimes I am eager for O to walk and then sometimes I am grateful that I don't have to chase her around quite yet. I don't feel ready!
#66 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Henhao, I am thinking the same thing, but hope it's not too late. I was talking to another mama yesterday, and she said the window for EC was good til about 18 mos. She's been doing it with her daughter since about 4 mos, and said it has been going really well!
I am thinking E may be ready to try-she wakes up dry from naps, and as soon as the dipe is off, she pees...usually on the floor. So I was thinking about having a potty next to the change mat, and giving it a go.
Any advice from EC mamas? Most appreciated! Thanks!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#67 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Ds1 used to do what O is doing. He rolled 3 times in a row, then nothing. He He walked 5 steps at 13 months, then nothing until 16 months when he pulled off his diaper (note w/ds2 - retire the velcro aio's now before this happens) stood up and ran away from me laughing. He's still that way, doesn't really like to do something until he can do it "right".

Yesterday was nice, we went to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. Ds2 was scared of the splashing waves in the Wild Reef, but loved the turtles, the cichlids, the dolphins, the sea otters, the piranha, the rays...ds1 loved the frogs and snakes and lizards of course.

Dh & I looked at the birth pics & read the birth story before we went to bed, it was a nice ending to the day.
#68 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Any advice from EC mamas? Most appreciated! Thanks!

There's an EC forum in Diapering with a Late Starters Thread....

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#69 of 229 Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Mamas...Owen ate peacock poo at the zoo today!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL -- Now I don't feel so badly about Tova eating a cat treat she found on the floor this morning. At least she hasn't found the litter box ...

xoxo
#70 of 229 Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 PM

Wow, peacock poo. DD ate dog food today. At least it was Natural Choice dog food.
We started the Waldorf Parent/Child Program Thursday. It was wonderful. The focus is completely on balance and rythym in our lives with dc. DD loved it. We planted flowers, ate a wholesome snack, sang songs, played games, told stories, rested, sanded knitting needles. I just loved it. It chilled me right out. I just got over stress related hives and I never want to get those again. I'm working on the balance at home. We will get there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How are dc's sleeping lately?

AF is driving me nuts! We are TTC and AF has came twice the last 2 months. I go 7 days, it goes away, and then I cramp badly and it starts again for 3 days. Unfortunately, migraines come with that. Yuck!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#71 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 03:47 AM

eastkygal,
we'll be in ky from the 18th through the 22nd...hardyville and louisville...i'm figuring louisville isn't anywhere near you, but what about hardyville? dh's mom has a small farm and we'd love to have you out if it's not too terribly far .

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#72 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 AM

We are in a rhythm here of awake by 6:30 or 7:00
Nap at 10:30 or so
Sleep for 2 - 3 hours
Bed between 7:30 and 8:00
up at 1:00 and 5:00 to eat

I'm OK with the 1:00 wake up (sometimes that's six whole hours sleeping for her), but wish I could stretch out the 5:00 to 6:30 or 7:00. My gut tells me that if she had her own room, she would be able to sleep all night, but with four of us in a two bedroom condo, we're not set up for that. I think this week when dd1 is at her dad's I'll have dh and me sleep in her bed and see how that effects the baby's sleep.

Anyone else still awake twice in the night? C'mon I know you're out there!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#73 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
Anyone else still awake twice in the night? C'mon I know you're out there!
TWICE?! I'd be happy with twice! It's more like four or five times.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#74 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Em is usually up once or twice between the time we go to bed and the time we get up for the day. I tracked it the other day for her scrapbook. it's not a perfectly-normal normal day, but it will work, KWIM?

Went to bed for the 'night' {loose word in our house} @ 145
Got up briefly @ 422 {wet diaper. she hates even being damp}
Back to sleep @ 431
Got up again @ 740 {kids woke her up to say goodbye when they left for school}
Back to sleep almost instantly {all she really did was open her eyes and whine a bit at being disturbed even though they do it every school day}
Up for the day @ 1043
Down for a nap@ 320 {all three kids crash out in the living room listening to the CD player at this time every day}
Up from her nap @ 452
Down for a brief nap @ 826
Up from that nap @ 9p

edited to convert to civilian time. sorry about that
#75 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 01:50 PM

henhao - On the EC thing, I have a little potty that DS never really used that I am sitting DD on once or twice a day, just to get her where she is not scared of it like he was. She has gone pee and poo in there several times now, but if she starts getting agitated, I take her off and we try again later. I have been doing it after she eats or wakes up if it is a convenient time. Not sure how much she understands, but it saves a bit on diapers.

Night wakings - we are getting up once or twice a night here lately too. Usually at 2ish to have a good long nurse, and again at 5 or 6 to have another. Up for the day anywhere from 7:30-9:00, goes to bed between 8:30 and 10:00. DS was 21 months before he nightweaned and slept through, so I am not expecting DD to do it anytime soon either.

New word for yesterday..."uh oh!" Too cute watching her drop things and say it!

Anyone else getting a squealer? If Michelle gets frustrated...wants out of high chair, has toy stuck, etc. she screeches! She is definitely a little firecracker...must go with the red hair!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#76 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 PM

On EC, we caught a poop and some pee. And then some went all over the floor.

I've had her on the potty and she is thrilled to be there -- all smiles -- but not a drop comes out except for that one time. I sorta know when she's pooping but not when she's peeing.

I ordered some babylegs and joined the "EC Late start" yahoogroups.

AND she is terrible about naps. She poops right as I'm getting her down for her nap and cries and won't go down to sleep. She did this twice yesterday..the ol' I am going to poop so I won't sleep thingie. :

She's fine with sleeping at night -- goes 11-12 hours at night -- but the daytime is not so good these days.

here's a pic:

<http://www.lifespacecoach.com/gallery/v/lifeinaugust2006/Olive-Aug-2006+238.jpg.html>

ETA: We caught a pee!! We caught a pee!! And then she pointed at the toilet and said "otty." I'm being laid back about our success. I'm just going to put her on the potty and, if she's into it, great! I've trained her to use her diaper as a toilet so now we'll see if I can teach her to use the toilet as a toilet.
#77 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM

Tova is still up once or twice in 11-12 hours ... much less predictable than DS was at this age.
#78 of 229 Old 09-09-2006, 10:13 PM

riverrundine - We actually live in Louisville! We moved from east Ky about 5 years ago. I'm not sure where Hardyville is. Where are you coming to in Louisville?

DD hasn't been going to sleep well lately at all - though she did the last 2 nights. She still wakes between 3-5 times a night to nurse. I cut her down to one nap hoping that would help night sleep, but it didn't. Just wondering where everyone else was at.

Today she figured out how to blow bubbles in the water of the bathtub! Then, of course, she drank about a gallon of her water. She just loves water. (She is taking her Level 2 swimming lessons starting Monday.) She also blows spit bubbles making a little mawahhh sound with every bubble. I love it because I can remember doing that myself as a little girl.

Just wanted to share that a combo of Herbs for Kids Echinecia (sp) / Golden Root and Hyland's C-Plus Cold Tablets will nip a cold in the bud real fast. DD was feeling better in a day!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#79 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM

Wow - Ds is still up sometimes every hour at night - at least every other hour
He is so super sensitive to teething pain and still reacts to a lot of foods that I eat and I've already cut out so much.
I didn't realize most of you had already moved into the once or twice a night waking club... hmmm NCSS didn't do a thing for us... Now that he's nearly 13 months, maybe I should look into that man henhao was following - what was his name again please? - Jay Gordon?
He sleeps great for his one nap,11-1, and goes down easily at 8pm.

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
#80 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 02:30 PM

Deb, what was the key thing in getting Olive to sleep for these long stretches? I know you changed your routine so that she wasn't nursing to sleep. How did you get her to sleep then? Did she cry a lot? If so, it's OK, I'm not judging, just want to know what to expect. Sometimes A can't quite settle down with nursing and I put her in her bed awake and she cries a bit (5 minutes or so) until she gets comfy and goes to sleep. I sit next to her, but don't know if that's the right thing to do. Unfortunately, she's never been one to like cuddling, rocking, walking, etc...

When she woke at night, did you just stay in bed and shush her from there? Or did you try to get to her before she actually woke up and lay hands on her to settle her before waking?

TIA :

#81 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 02:42 PM

E was a great sleeper before our road trip (8-8, no nursing), but the last week has been like having a newborn again-up every hour or so. I'm not sure how I managed to do it before!: I feel fairly out of it. The good news is that she's getting better night by night (only up once last night, and back down again quickly. She just seems to need to know that we're there), and that she is putting herself to sleep for naps, mostly. I put her in her crib, and have a seat on the floor, and she kind of plays for a while, then falls asleep (getting up a few times to make sure I'm there, of course!) This is a huge change from the nursing-rocking-singing routine I had before, and she just started doing it on her own. The bad news is she's dropped a nap, so we're down to one early afternoon nap...anyone still lucky enough to have 2 naps (or more?!)

In general, here's our day:
7ish: up
1.30ish: nap
3.30ish: up
8ish: begin bedtime routine

#82 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 03:01 PM

Fridgeart - any French words yet? I've heard chien and nez (while grabbing my nose) here, so that means I'll hear them again in about a month or so.

#83 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 05:36 PM

We've been lazy with the French lately-but my friend got E some sparkly (or "scintillantes" my new favourite French word!) board books with letters and numbers. E really likes them, so I'm going to try and be more rigourous about it. How much/often are you speaking French?

#84 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Sheesh, I thought I had subscribed to this thread, and kind of forgot all about it or a while, and just found it again! That was a lot of reading! You gals sure keep a thread going!

I'm in denial that Jacob is a toddler, even though it's staring me in the face. Heck, I still call my almost 3-year-old a toddler. I guess I should "upgrade" them both! Jacob is walking like he was born walking. This past week he just started standing up from a sit all on his own without having to pull up on anything. I never once saw him attempt and fail...he just started doing it like he had known all along. He is getting so fast, and loves chasing his sister around.

He's not really talking yet. He says "Uh oh" and "mama" and babbles a lot of other thing throughout the day. Right now he says "Dat" and "Dut" and "Guh" a lot while he's grabbing things. He was grabbing things out of the dryer yesterday and saying something that sounded an awful lot like shirt. But it's still babbling as far as I can tell. He isn't doing more than a couple of signs, mostly because I haven't been teaching him. But he has, in the last little while, started making this fingering motion, like rubbing his thumb between his first two fingers, with his arm stretched out, when he wants to grab something. It's cute

He's still almost completely nursing, another thing which makes me feel like he's still my little baby :heart I've tried giving him food, but he just tends to spit it all out, or make a huge mess, or both. I probably don't offer quite as much as I should, but he's still pretty consistent when I do. So I'm kind of still waiting a bit before I really get heavily into offering solids. In the meantime, he still nurses on demand. Sometimes coming to get a sip every 10 minutes! And for night, sometimes he sleeps a good 5 hours, sometimes he's up every 3 hours, but I'm okay with it. It seems almost normal to me now, LOL. And AF still hasn't made any comeback, another bonus!

Jacob and I have gotten into a comfortable habit of him nursing to sleep when I sit at the computer. And so I never got around to creating a solid bedtime routine for him...I would just nurse him on my lap till he fell asleep, and then transfer him. Well, for naptimes, this technique still works great. But lately he's been staying up later and later (which isn't helped by my night-owl habits, I'm sure), to the point where his bedtime is now midnight or later, and his morning time is usually around 11am. Ugh. The few times I've tried starting him earlier in the day just end up with a very cranky baby and an entire day out of whack, so I just fall back into the comfortable no-fuss pattern we had. But I'm really starting to think I need to get going on a bedtime routine so he can transition more easily into "bedtime" mode. He's been doing too much of a nurse-on-my-lap and then get-down-and-play-crazy pattern lately, and then it's a struggle to get him to calm down to sleep.

Anyway, I'm subscribed now, hopefully I'll pop back in here more often!

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#85 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 PM

In general, here's our day:
7ish: up
1.30ish: nap
3.30ish: up
8ish: begin bedtime routine

Fridgeart: this is very, very similar to most of our days, although we generally start our bedtime routine around 7:15 so Tova is asleep by 8. Sometimes she will nap for 2.5 or 3 hours, which is a real bonus. Of course, though, the teething throws everything off. She just got tooth #7 and so the past week was a bit of a struggle -- she was very hard to settle (two or three false starts when I would think she was asleep and she wasn't) and up two or three times in the night instead of the typical one or two. Not too bad, though, in light of others' sleep deprivation!
#86 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM

DD and I found a lovely board book at the library the other day and I just wanted to share, and see if anyone else has read it. It's called I'm Made of Mama's Milk and it's by Mary Olsen. The copy I have is pretty beat up, but it looks like it was published in 2001. Anyway, it's all about breastfeeding, with lovely photos of the Mom nursing her baby in the park, in the tub, in the sling, and lying down in bed. I also loved that the baby is not an infant, but probably about a year old (same age as my Tova). It ends with the words Mama's Milk! What a Wonderful Drink! It Makes Darling Children, Don't You Think? And there's a mirror-effect on the back page, which DD thinks is fabulous. Anyone else seen it?
#87 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Deb, what was the key thing in getting Olive to sleep for these long stretches? I know you changed your routine so that she wasn't nursing to sleep. How did you get her to sleep then? Did she cry a lot? If so, it's OK, I'm not judging, just want to know what to expect. Sometimes A can't quite settle down with nursing and I put her in her bed awake and she cries a bit (5 minutes or so) until she gets comfy and goes to sleep. I sit next to her, but don't know if that's the right thing to do. Unfortunately, she's never been one to like cuddling, rocking, walking, etc...
We followed the plan in the Good Night Sleep Tight Book. We didn't CIO.

I moved the nursing up in the routine so our routine is: nursing, books, warm bath in dim light, bedtime while listening to lullabyes.

She just gets to sleep on her own. We did a little less each night. The first few nights, we sat very close to her and walked and rocked her a little before putting her down and would pat her intermittently. She would stand and I would pat the bed and she would lie down...She hated the lion at first and would throw him out of the crib. She did cry at not getting the boob. However, we were there to comfort her. She had had the boob only 30 min before and had all of her needs met, so I knew it was a matter of her needing to get used to this big change.

On night 4, we moved a little bit further away and sat in a chair. She would pop her head up to look for us and then lie back down. She was very quiet for this. We said "time for night night" and "shhh" and we would pat her intermittently. We stalled in the process for no good reason and sat in the chair for about 10 days -- way longer than the book says/oh well -- and then moved her to another room and then sat by the door. When we moved her to other room, we were slightly concerned she'd need to adjust but she was fine. By this point, she was going out pretty quick. Eventually, we moved to the hallway and would just say night night or shhhh. This is all after the routine and some walking with her to the sounds of lullabyes. We don't just plop her in the crib...we get her very drowsy.

I really believe the way the baby first goes to sleep at night will map out how they sleep for the whole night. If the baby falls asleep nursing, she will want to nurse when she rouses in the night. Now, I'll hear some stirrings from O in the night and she goes right back to sleep on her own. Every now and then, she'll wake up and we go right in. Some people might not, but I do. One time, she was super thirsty and DH gave her a sippy of water. One time, she had not nursed well during the routine so I gave her a boob. Another few times, I roused her to give her a "moon boob" because it didn't seem like she'd drunk much before bed. The key is for you to rouse the baby so it doesn't become a habit for the baby.

In the morning, we have a mongo nursing session, and she nurses about an hour. After a nap today, she nursed and bellied up to me for about 40 minutes. It's lovely, and we have a great time laughing and I play "take away" with the boob and she cracks up. Nursing a toddler rocks by the way!

Oh, I also started to nurse her in the living room so she no longer associates the bedroom with nursing. Sometimes I break the rule but for the most part I don't.

My friend said her baby is a whole new person -- so much less cranky -- now that she's getting sleep.

I am really proud I could do this without CIO. That was important to me.

I think she's dropping her am nap. It's hit or miss. :

PS: She peed in the potty again today!! She was SO pleased with herself. She started peeing right when I put her on it!!
#88 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM

How much/often are you speaking French?

Dh speaks French to her exclusively and I'm trying to get him (Mr. Set-in-His-Ways) to speak French to me all the time too in front of the children. I understand a lot, but don't speak very well, so I thought to expose A to more French, he could speak French to me and I could answer him back in English. I still am providing French translations to her during the daytime, though. Well, I do the best I can...

Deb, thanks so much for your post about your nighttime routine. I am really wanting to cut the nursing/sleep association. But at the same time I feel that nursing to sleep is so natural and provides for a no-fuss bedtime. My real concern in terms of my own health is the twice waking in the night. I know I shouldn't complain (right, Newmama?), but it's getting to me. I almost cringe when she nurses in the night and want her off me. I hate feeling that way about my sweet baby. I have a girlfriend who never did the nurse to sleep thing with either of her girls (2 years and six months) or CIO and they are both great sleepers. At least things have improved from the five times a night we were at in June. Wish I had a bigger house so A could have her own room!

Had such a nice weekend here for my dh's birthday. Now, NO MORE BIRTHDAYS until mine in April. I love my fam soooo much!

#89 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Deb, thanks so much for your post about your nighttime routine. I am really wanting to cut the nursing/sleep association. But at the same time I feel that nursing to sleep is so natural and provides for a no-fuss bedtime.
You're welcome. For me, O stopped going to sleep easily with nursing. I also liked the no fuss aspect and relied on it for about a year.

I hear ya with the health/sleep issues. My health is in the toilet. Now I am on a super good whole foods diet, taking a vitamins, etc. The doc said not to have a baby now. I am underweight, have random skin rashes. I feel like I eat all the time and am always hungry and tired (even when I sleep). Yuck. Sorry for the mini-vent. I just know I need sleep so I can heal what the preg and sleep deprivation took out of me. I try to keep quiet IRL because I don't want to bore everyone with how bad I feel a lot of the time. I am optimistic that I'll feel better as time goes on.
#90 of 229 Old 09-10-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I know I shouldn't complain (right, Newmama?), but it's getting to me.
Ah, complain away! That's what we're here for.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page