August '05 mamas - we have toddlers...wow! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little Emmett wakes a couple of times a night to nurse. he is also teething heavily, so the night before last he was up almost every hour. Holy moly! It was nutty. I am used to it and feel like I can exist well on less sleep. My 3 yo doesn't really sleep through the night either. He wakes once or twice it seems. We are pretty exhausted around here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM

We're up every 2 to 2-1/2 hours on a normal good night.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post
to you and all of the other non-sleeping mamas here.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post
Yeah, what's up with this? How come no one told me it could be this way?

I know what my mom would say...but then I had a very unhappy childhood and a horrible relationship with my parents growing up, so I don't listen to her too much, lol.

I looked at a house today and I LOVE it. Here's the link: http://www.firstweber.com/vp/Listing...cd_MLS=685187#

It's not in the suburb we are really looking it, but it's right next to it, so DH is having a tough time with this. He also didn't seem to think the house was as amazing as I did. (It looks even better in person, and there's TONS of storage, and everything is in pristine condition.)

When I was standing on the driveway with Henry a woman riding a bike with two little ones in a trailer behind her stopped to talk to me. She said she moved from the street a few months ago, but only because she has five kids and they outgrew their house. She said she went kicking and screaming and that she LOVES the neighborhood. She then told me about all the neighbors and ticked off all the kids who live on the block and their approximate ages.

It's within easy walking distance of a kick-ass park, the library, schools, and a charming shopping district with a Starbucks, bagel shop, bread shop, and a bunch of other stores.

I think someone else is making an offer tomorrow, and we can't really afford to go over asking price, so we probably won't get it. I'm sad. :

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 AM

That house is INCREDIBLE...*drools*

I would SO make an offer! You never know, your offer could be better than the other one.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
That house is INCREDIBLE...*drools*

I would SO make an offer! You never know, your offer could be better than the other one.
It's tough, though, because our current house isn't ready to show yet (I'm still getting quotes for painting, then it has to *be* painted) and we haven't actually looked at any other houses in person. So I don't know if we should just relax and take some more time, or if this house is just so amazing (this is a really good price for this area, for such a great house) that we will regret not getting it. It's also at the very top range of what we can afford.

Ack!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:50 AM

New Mama...we are in the exact same phase. Incredibly overwhelming to think of moving while taking care of a baby toddler, huh?? I am reluctant to work on my house while we are in it because of fumes, etc too.

Anyway, that is an INCREDIBLE house!!! Don't know if you're homeschooling, but check out the schools for this address because we bought an incredible house 5 years ago and are now discovering that the schools are shaky at best. So we're moving...and I wish we had been more careful about that.

Good luck! Let us know how the offer goes if you make it. You never know...the other offer might be a weaker one, so it could be worth a try!

--Adrienne
Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 AM

it has so much character and style and it's very very inexpensive (well, compared to here..it would go for so much more). I would most definetly put a bid on it. How much are you prequalified for? You could also put in a contingency clause with the sale that would allow you x amount of time to get your house read for viewing/sale.

What a gem that house is. Don't let it pass by!

OK I'll stop being bossy!!!

I feel bad that my bubs sleeps so well but then he's also still quite baby-ish. He's still quite sick, has been since Thursday last week..I hope he shakes it soon..poor lil guy.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStreetMama View Post
Anyway, that is an INCREDIBLE house!!! Don't know if you're homeschooling, but check out the schools for this address because we bought an incredible house 5 years ago and are now discovering that the schools are shaky at best. So we're moving...and I wish we had been more careful about that.
We may homeschool, but this area and the area we are REALLY looking in have incredible school systems...probably the best in our state. Lots of people move there just for the schools.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 PM

Wow-that house has character! I love older homes for all the attention to detail. We live in a nice but soulless newer home-no quirks or details.
I can't believe how inexpensive it is either! We live in one of the most affordable cities in Canada, and that house would easily be in the mid to high 300's!

Hugs to mamas dealing with non-sleepers! E is mostly back on track (slept til 7 again, woo hoo!), though she woke up with a cold today, so we're probably in for it tonight...and I was just saying it had been *ages* since she was sick. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Help with dinner ideas for toddlers-we are in a rut of cheese omelette/veg chili/lentil soup (both green and red), and assorted chick pea/tofu finger food dinners...vegetarian suggestions, anyone? Are our babies old enough for veggie burgers? TIA!

Have a great day-it's sunny here (finally!) and as soon as E is up from her nap, we're heading out.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Wow, beautiful house. Good luck new mama!

No advice on the food thing, CJ still eating minimal solid foods and definitely not on a regular basis.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Em eats pretty much whatever we eat, just chopped up into bite-sized pieces.

Dh and I are going on Saturday to look at RVs. We're leaving the older kids at my parents so they can play and have a last shot at riding their bikes before my dad puts the bikes in his garage attic. Em will be with us, either in the backpack or sling, possibly both as needed. We're getting down to the wire as far as research and it's getting both terrifying and exciting.. The thought of being on a 40 foot or smaller RV with 3 kids under the age of 10 for 9 months out of the year is somewhat scary, but the balance of the things they will be able to experience and the work we will be able to do balances it out well...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
Em eats pretty much whatever we eat, just chopped up into bite-sized pieces.

Dh and I are going on Saturday to look at RVs. We're leaving the older kids at my parents so they can play and have a last shot at riding their bikes before my dad puts the bikes in his garage attic. Em will be with us, either in the backpack or sling, possibly both as needed. We're getting down to the wire as far as research and it's getting both terrifying and exciting.. The thought of being on a 40 foot or smaller RV with 3 kids under the age of 10 for 9 months out of the year is somewhat scary, but the balance of the things they will be able to experience and the work we will be able to do balances it out well...
Yep - that's what ds2 is eating. Last night was peas, carrots, shredded beef and slices of potato.

So you're going full time? And then you'll homeschool? We bought a 2000 Itasca Spirit 24-footer this year and it's been great fun (a class c). Ds1 goes in the cab-over bed w/his toys & ds2 climbs around on the floor (and mostly ends up under the dinette table). That sounds like such an adventure! Have fun! We're heading out to PA in Oct & I'm getting so excited.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
2000 Itasca Spirit
aw! how neat! I wish we could fit into something that small... but I think we'd all be in the looney bin before we crossed the state line.

Yeah, the plan is to home-base in Indiana somewhere, probably around Bedford, and spend the majority of the year on the road. Likely as not we'll end up workamping part of that time, but we're not sure yet. We plan to do craft shows, county fairs and the like in addition to our online store to provide income, as well as the banner ads that you get paid to have on your rig. I will also be nationally certified as a massage therapist by then so if the need arises I should be able to rather easily go through AmeriTemps or one of the healthcare specific agencies. A friend of ours does shoulder & back massages in her booth at fairs and makes quite a bit from that alone and she's not even certified

Right now we're intrested in the Newmar Kountry Star, Itasca Sunova and the Four Winds Hurricane because they have bunks in addition to the main bedroom, which would work out perfectly for us. We've already looked at the Sunova at a dealership and were highly impressed with the quality and design...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 PM

Katinbugsmom -- I think I missed something. Why are you going to live in a RV? Sounds totally cool

New Mama -- WOW. I can't believe the price on that house! Mine is the same size, not as nice and it costs SOOOO much. Ridiculous. The prices here are just ridiculous. To move into a decent school district, I'd have to pay 250K for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo or 500-600K for a house. I don't know what we'll do about schools. Um, move to WI?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM

We're going to be doing it for the eexperience more than anything I guess. We want to be able to travel and do some limited mission type work as well, so the craft circuit as a financial support base, opting into the Full_Timers club's Habitat builds, working in the missions/shelters/church plants of our friends and their friends, and taking time to see things we wouldn't see if we were constrained by bricks and mortar, is our dream and our goal...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:16 PM

Kaitnbugsmom: That is so cool! Hey - are you going to be at Covered Bridge Festival in IN in October? Dh and I have gone every year since 2000, normally we stay in Greencastle, but this year, w/Serenity (what we named our rig) we're staying at Raccoon Lake. Have you ever been to the forums at rv.net? I find them really useful. We bought Serenity at Barrington Motors, http://www.bmsrv.com/ I know that would be quite the hike for you, but they came highly reccommended and dh and I can't say enough good about them. Will you blog your adventures on the road? Ohhh, it just sounds too incredibly fun!

New Mama: What an awesome house! I know what you mean about looking at new houses/not being ready to move. I want to stop looking, but then I think that that's when we'd find something that's perfect, yk? But our house is no where near selling condition and dh wants to decide before Christmas if we're staying here another 5 years or moving next...decisions, decisions.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguschick1 View Post
Kaitnbugsmom: That is so cool! Hey - are you going to be at Covered Bridge Festival in IN in October? Dh and I have gone every year since 2000, normally we stay in Greencastle, but this year, w/Serenity (what we named our rig) we're staying at Raccoon Lake. Have you ever been to the forums at rv.net? I find them really useful. We bought Serenity at Barrington Motors, http://www.bmsrv.com/ I know that would be quite the hike for you, but they came highly reccommended and dh and I can't say enough good about them. Will you blog your adventures on the road? Ohhh, it just sounds too incredibly fun!
I've got RV.net open in another tabl

Our family readiness group is going to have one or more booths at & near the festival. I've never made it all the way down to mansfield but it looks like I'm going to be assigned there if we get the space we're after {another member works at the Mill} I'm almost scared of the traffic considering how bad it is here.. Where are you staying at RL? I am practically drooling at the sheer # of RVs that will be boondocking at every wal-mart for miles in the coming weeks due to the festival and surrounding events The Greencastle W-M just went RV-Friendly this summer now that the former manager "quit" and the word has already spread.

I am going to be blogging everything here shortly, the search, research, all of it. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I'm done cooking {Shhh! I'm cooking at 9:30 at night. Not good for my digestion but research makes me hungry}
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
I don't know what we'll do about schools. Um, move to WI?
Hey, come on over!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 AM

DH and I went through the house again tonight. He liked it much better, but then once he got home and started talking about it, he started doubting himself again. Now he's mostly unsure about the space and where to put everyone. It has a huge dining room and living room, but only two bedrooms and a tiny half bath upstairs. There is an extra room downstairs that could be a bedroom, and a 1970's style basement rec room that we could make into a room for my teenage stepsons if we had the window enlarged.

So I think we could make it work. We're just spoiled in our current house. It's a bungalow with a wonderful upstairs -- huge master bedroom, big second bedroom (Henry's room, though he doesn't sleep there), a play area, a full bath, and a computer area with built-in desk.

Anyway, someone did make an offer on we looked at, but the owner countered and is asking that their home sale contingency be dropped. We *heard* that the buyer won't be able to drop that, but who knows. And we're still waiting to hear from our mortgage broker to see if we qualify for a bridge loan and could even make an offer without a home sale contingency.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:42 AM

New Mama: this is so incredibly similar to a situation we just went through 2 weeks ago. VERY stressful...although it's working out for the best, of course.

I have been SO MIA from posting...but reading along!

Hopefulfaith...thinking of you these days...how are you doing?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 AM

Reading along too....NewMama love, love, love that house. Oh, I want a house soooo bad. I actually am starting to believe that our nighttime wakings here are a result of a too-small house. My baby needs her own room soooo badly!

Anyway, I've decided to cut out one nighttime feeding (that stupid 5:00 am feeding) since she typically wakes between 6:30 and 7:00 anyway. Started last night and it took her about 30 minutes to fall asleep on her own. She starting to pull off the breast at bedtime and reach for the bed, so she's falling asleep on her own about half the time now. Cool! Just in time, because I've started to get the creepy-crawlies while nursing at night. Anyone else? Her hair is so tickly, her little fingers touch me so lightly (in the most sensitive places). I hate to say it, but it just gives me the creeps! I NEED MY SPACE! I just keep breathing and saying to myself, "just hang in there a little bit longer!" Kristin, notice I don't say to myself, "this too shall pass". :

In other developments, the words keep appearing and disappearing, but the signing is really taking off. We now have done, please (love that one), food, more, milk and the head shaking for yes and no. The whining is decreasing dramatically with each new sign learned. I really feel that we are starting to communicate at a deeper level. We've also added "putting the toys away" to the nighttime routine. In terms of the words, she knows probably 15, but doesn't use any except "eye" (this week). My feeling is that one of these days, she'll just come out with a paragraph or two in English and in French! :

Here's a cool website I came across today. I am totally deficient when it comes to singing the cool mama songs! http://niehs.nih.gov/kids/musicchild.htm

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 09-29-2006, 03:29 AM

Hey mamas...how are you handling the "can't have what I want" tantrum/crying? Owen is into EVERYTHING and starting to get really pissed if I try to re-direct from hazards. He usually gets over it pretty quickly so I re-direct and ignore the drama, but he's getting more intense about it occasionally. Today he cried and whined for about 10 minutes because I wouldn't let him stand on the edge of our porch (no railing) and eat potting soil from a plant. :

Any help appreciated...there may not be much to do but re-direct, huh? I am trying to teach him the word "angry" so he can say that when he's pissed. I think if he could sign he would flip me the bird in these moments!!!

Are your babies pretty wild and tearing up your house, by the way????
Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 PM

O isn't tearing up the house. She did pee on the floor, slip in it and then fall to the tiled bathroom floor. Ow! So, she's getting faster. She also tried walking down the stairs and DH was right there, of course, and caught her.

The other day O hid from her babysitter. The sitter used the restroom and came out and called for O and the 3 yo boy. The sitter started to get worried and looked all over and finally found the 2 of them hiding behind the bed. O totally got that she was supposed to be quiet and wait to be found. The kids thought this was great; the sitter nearly had a heart attack.

Today, O said 'key' and 'computer'. I was trying to teach her the sign for computer and she just said computer instead. I officially give up on baby signs.

Deb
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhao View Post
Today, O said 'key' and 'computer'. I was trying to teach her the sign for computer and she just said computer instead. I officially give up on baby signs.

Deb
I'm right there with you, Deb. August can say pretty much anything he wants. His language explosion is blowing my mind. In the past few days, shadow, spider, circle, blueberries, window...and not just repeating them, using them in context. Yowsa!
I do wonder, however how much teaching him signs in the first place helped him get the concept of language...we are still working on teaching him some important signs, i.e. stop, hurt, sleepy,hot, etc.

A- he would tear up the house if I let him, time for us to put latches on cupboards
ooops he's waking up now, bye

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Tearing up the house... I laugh out loud as I glance across our kitchen floor -- we came home from a night away last night, and A was so happy to be back he emptied both of "his" kitchen cupboards across three rooms. I picked it up this morning, and it is now all out again. Tearing up the house...hahahahahahaha! We do have a handful of latches for the cupboards around here, and I don't know what I'd do without them; he'd have the blender and the crock pot out on a daily basis, I think.

Adam is further behind verbally than the rest of the kiddos here, I think. He's still mostly babbling sounds (although I know what his sounds mean, so perhaps that's why he's not motivated to make them into words??), and he seems to have "lost" most of his recognizable words lately, except for "mama" and "no". I'm trying to relax about it; the ST I spoke with gave me early language things to do with him (singing, speaking, etc.), and when I said I was doing all of that, she told me to chill out. I think I'm going to try to get into a playgroup this winter, as I wonder if being home with just me all the time is slowing his speech. ??? I'm way impressed by O's 'computer', though. And August's 'blueberries'.

And, oh, the "I can't have what I want" moments. Ah, yes. I'm trying trying trying to do the gentle redirection/distraction, etc., but sometimes I've just had to let him be sad about not getting to play with the electric knife or the paper shredder or any number of dangerous things he deeply desires. Adrienne, the "eating potting soil" scenario sounds so like those at our house lately!!!

NewMama, I love that house. Love, love, love. I want a house, and since I'm living vicariously through those who do own one, I'm so excited by the possibility of you living in such a beautiful place. I hope it works out for you!

Kate, what a cool website! Adam has his own gesture he makes when he wants to listen to music; he's all over the songs.

And what else? I "failed" my 1hr GTT, and asked to repeat it before I did the 3hr one -- and then failed the second one. So I'll do the three hour one...reluctantly... Thank heaven I'm 35 weeks this weekend; not much more time for anyone to cram any more suggested testing/intervention into this pregnancy. I've successfully fought off routine repeat ultrasounds and non-stress tests already...I'm getting tired of fighting, sad as it seems. I am really ready to meet this baby! He/she is the kickingest baby ever!!! Adam was on my "lap" the other day (I really have none now) and the baby kicked so hard that Adam lifted his head up and looked at me sort of quizzically...he's been kicked in the head a couple times, and isn't quite sure about the sensation!

Have a great weekend, all. I'm going to WI for the better part of the week tomorrow night - solo road trip with Adam & I! It will be fun.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Adam is further behind verbally than the rest of the kiddos here, I think. He's still mostly babbling sounds (although I know what his sounds mean, so perhaps that's why he's not motivated to make them into words??), and he seems to have "lost" most of his recognizable words lately,
Em is the same way. Lots of 'verbalizations' and not so many actual words anymore. She still says "ca ca" for both her sister and the four legged fuzzball and "Datda" appropriately but other than that it's "Unh" "Uhn" "ummm" etc. Probably doesn't help that I translate for her and so do her sisters. Bug was the same way though and by age two was coversing at a level her sister's speech therapist said was 'easily second grade' whatever that means.

She's not really big into tearing the house up, but heaven forbid her sisters leave their backpacks lying around {which is a battle for a whole different forum} because the contents are emptied, studied and spread in the blink of an eye..

I'll be in and out this weekend, still working on the house and whatnot.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Attention Houston: We have walking!
Cheyne started toddling yesterday. I thought that maybe he could do it, so I put him standing holding onto the footstool and stood back a little and called him and sure enough he walked over to me. It was awesome!

Thanks for the support. I think that My friend and I going different ways will be easier once the hurt feeling die down a little bit. YKWIM? Thanks for the kind words!

Wow! Hopefulfaith! It's amazing that you look like this now. It always goes so much faster when I'm not the one preggo! How exciting that you are almost 35 weeks. Are you growing anxious to meet this new one? What does your little guy think about it? Have you read that book, "What Baby wants" by Dr. Sears and his wife? Its a neat book IMO.

Tearing up the house? Both of my kids keep me sooo busy. It's a lot to have 2 that are 2.5 years apart because they are both sooo busy and making messes faster than I can keep up with. Especially since the oldest one is 3.5 she can't exactly do a whole lot, however she does have some chores.

It's supposed to snow tomorrow! I am feeling ready to do some sledding! Cheyne likes it a lot when his sister pulls him around in the wagon, so I imagine that a sled will be a riot!

We've got a busy week before our trip down to Seattle/ Portland. We're getting soo excited about it though!

Have a great weekend ladies! Andrya

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

Old 09-29-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
Adam is further behind verbally than the rest of the kiddos here, I think.
Henry isn't talking at all, so don't worry, you're not alone! He will say Dada and Mama, but doesn't really use them to address us. He also says something that sounds kind of like "hot" when touching the side of the oven. But that's it. He mostly says, "ES! ES! ES!" when he's trying to show us something.

Where in WI are you headed to?

So...we're putting an offer in on that house tonight. The first couple who put an offer in were counter-offered, and I think they're going to refuse the counter and put in their OWN counter. So since we're making ours with no contingencies and at asking price, it looks good. Am I crazy? This whole house needs to be painted and talk about our kids getting into everything...I can barely keep it kind of tidy, much less show-worthy. :

Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Andrya, i feel your pain, my oldest two are two years and ten days apart... and honestly, the youngest being four and a half years younger really wasn't that much different. They still get into more and make more meses than I could ever hope to keep up with at once. I do most of my cleaning while the older two are at school and at night after everyone else is in bed

User Tag List