August '05 mamas - we have toddlers...wow! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Henry isn't talking at all, so don't worry, you're not alone! He will say Dada and Mama, but doesn't really use them to address us. He also says something that sounds kind of like "hot" when touching the side of the oven. But that's it. He mostly says, "ES! ES! ES!" when he's trying to show us something.

Where in WI are you headed to?

So...we're putting an offer in on that house tonight. The first couple who put an offer in were counter-offered, and I think they're going to refuse the counter and put in their OWN counter. So since we're making ours with no contingencies and at asking price, it looks good. Am I crazy? This whole house needs to be painted and talk about our kids getting into everything...I can barely keep it kind of tidy, much less show-worthy. :
Yep! We get a lot of "Ah!" and "Es" and "Eee" and "Ohh" with consistently recognizable gestures. He also follows directions quite well - i.e., "Let's go UPstairs.", "Let's go DOWNstairs.", "Let's brush our teeth in the bathroom", etc., so I know he understands. It'll come.

I'm going to Tomahawk, and then down to Stevens Point; my two bfs from college live there! I'm excited! We only see each other every few months at most, so it's a good thing.

Happy House Offer!!!! Keep us posted - I am so excited for you!

Andrya - yay for the walking!!!!!! That is so exciting! I definitely look like this now -> and I'm glad to think I will look like this soon -> : I still feel sort of sad sometimes about Adam's unfortunate early weaning. I bought a cosleeper yesterday, so I'm pretty excited, and am starting to stock up on bm storage bags, etc., and in general NESTING LIKE CRAZY!!!!! Making lists....tidying things that could probably wait.... You all know the story! But I am really getting excited again. And a little intimidated - Adam is still a 24/7 kind of kid (as you all know), so I'm a little worried for his sake, but I know it will work out all right. I haven't read that Sears book, but I'm a huge Sears fan - I will have to check that out! Thanks!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Hi mamas,

May I join you? My son was due in Aug, but came in late July...:

My name is Amalia and I live in Seattle, although we are moving to Vancouver, WA in a few weeks. (Actually we are moving to Portland, then to Vancouver! Why make things easy is our motto! : ) I am a fine artist, and have a studio at home were I paint. My DH is a pilot for a cargo company and flies out of Portland, (why the move)!

I had a daughter, Olivia in July of 2003, but unfortunately, she died just three days short of her due date. We miss her and think often of her...and I treasure her birth and time with her. You can read her story here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=story (it's the 3rd one down)

Owen will be 14 months old tomorrow...He is just starting to walk...mostly still crawls and walks holding on to things! Too cute! He signs milk, more, all done, dog and help. He waves and points to something THE MINUTE I pick him up!! (This makes me laugh)...He says mama, iss, (kiss), es (this). That's it. He is a very happy little boy and we hang out together playing and reading lots. I'm LOVING this age/stage...it's a blast.

I have a blog about him: www.allabouto.blogspot.com so if you are interested, check it out!

I LOVE photography, gardening and cooking. I am looking forward to finishing packing and moving so that I can concentrate on my life again...and hopefully meet new mamas and babes!

I look forward to getting to know you all!
#213 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalia65 View Post
Hi mamas,

May I join you? My son was due in Aug, but came in late July...:

My name is Amalia and I live in Seattle, although we are moving to Vancouver, WA in a few weeks. (Actually we are moving to Portland, then to Vancouver! Why make things easy is our motto! : ) I am a fine artist, and have a studio at home were I paint. My DH is a pilot for a cargo company and flies out of Portland, (why the move)!

I had a daughter, Olivia in July of 2003, but unfortunately, she died just three days short of her due date. We miss her and think often of her...and I treasure her birth and time with her. You can read her story here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=story (it's the 3rd one down)

Owen will be 14 months old tomorrow...He is just starting to walk...mostly still crawls and walks holding on to things! Too cute! He signs milk, more, all done, dog and help. He waves and points to something THE MINUTE I pick him up!! (This makes me laugh)...He says mama, iss, (kiss), es (this). That's it. He is a very happy little boy and we hang out together playing and reading lots. I'm LOVING this age/stage...it's a blast.

I have a blog about him: www.allabouto.blogspot.com so if you are interested, check it out!

I LOVE photography, gardening and cooking. I am looking forward to finishing packing and moving so that I can concentrate on my life again...and hopefully meet new mamas and babes!

I look forward to getting to know you all!
You and I have a ton in common, Amalia:

We're in Redmond. We're strongly considering a move to Portland in the Spring. We lost a child in 2003 to his heart defect (see my sig), and our son is 13.5 months old. I love photography and cooking, and I want to get into gardening, but renting isn't really offering that opportunity, so the local organic farm is like our hangout instead.

We should meet.
#214 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 PM

Welcome Amalia -- glad to have you on board.

To all the mamas: Tova seems slower than most of your babes, although she has just reached 13 months on the 24th. She doesn't crawl or walk, but scoots very fast on her bottom. It is a riot. DS and I have taken to calling her Quasimodo when we hear her thump, ker-thump coming down the hallway. Or Quasitoto (since one of her nicknames is Toto). She is starting to try to pull up, and succeeded today while inside the laundry basket (one of her favourite places to be), so walking probably will not be too far off. She loves to walk if you hold her arms or hands. And, yes, she is into everything. Especially loves newspapers and magazines (fitting, I guess, since I'm a reporter and DH is an editor). She's been slow to talk, though, like a few of the others -- mostly just babbles and says Dada and Daddy a tonne. Has said Mama and Baba (for brother), but not consistently. I think she said duck once, but I may be grasping at straws ... she does, however, understand pretty much everything we say to her. So I think all is well. DS hardly talked at all until he was 2, and then within two weeks was pretty much conversing in full, easy-to-understand sentences, so maybe Tova will be the same.

I think if he could sign he would flip me the bird in these moments!!!

I hear you, sister! Tova is definitely at the tantrum stage. I think distraction is pretty much the only recourse. The only one we've found, anyhow.

Must run now -- enjoy the weekend!
#215 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 PM

Welcome, Amailia!! I live in Portland and have an Owen, too!!! He's 13 months.
#216 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Welcome Amalia. It's nice to have you join our fabulous group. Owen is ADORABLE -- love the photos on your blog.

Well, it sounds like we won't get the house...though we have a chance yet. The other couple who made an offer contingent on the sale of their current home were counter-offered a deal dropping the home sale contingency, and they took it. We missed getting our offer in by a few hours, I think. However, they did not provide paperwork proving they could afford the house either with or without selling their current home, and they have to provide that by Sunday. And it sounds like no one has much confidence in these people as far as that goes. (I'm wondering if they got wind that another offer was coming in, so they quick signed the counteroffer and hoped they wouldn't have to prove that they could afford a bridge loan if need be.)

I'm gonna be a wreck all weekend, though I'm trying to get used to the idea that we won't get this house and need to keep looking.

If somehow we get it, it sure was truly meant to be. And if not, well, we have a nice home and this will give us more time to really look and get our home ready to sell. Right?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#217 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 11:39 PM

Welcome Amalia! This is a great board-glad you found us! I read your story about Livi-wow-you are a strong mama!

Yay to all the new walkers and talkers-"computer"? Wow!
Hopefulfaith, I can't believe how close you are! That's so exciting!
Newmama, hope Sunday comes quickly, and provides the answer you want.

Tantrums? Oh yes...pitching all kinds of fits when we're not allowed to open the hot oven, climb up the cabinets/chairs/the cats, etc etc. She is into everything-every cabinet, closet, laundry basket, etc must be looted, and oh my, does she love shoes. We rely on lots of redirection and distraction, and it seems to work for the most part. When E's tired, she gets frustrated very easily (which results in much foot stamping, no-no-no sounds and throwing things), so I try to verbalize what she's feeling/help out how I can. She is definitely frustrated by language barriers, as she understands sooo much, but speaks just a little, probably 10ish words, with the occasional try/one off use of a word. She understands a lot, and will follow 1-2 step directions. She is really working on "zipper" and "diaper" right now, but her favourite word is "yah!", with a little lilt at the end. She does have a repertoire of animal sounds (monkey, cow, cat, panting dog, hooting owl, lion/other roar-y animals) though! What can I say, she's a country kid...

I'm off to relax with DH, whose Kung Fu movie just ended... Have a great weekend!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#218 of 229 Old 09-29-2006, 11:44 PM

Hi gang! Hopefulfaith found me in Nighttime Parenting and told me how to find this thread. I went MIA all summer long, and have only recently returned to mdc. I'm glad to read about all that's going on in your lives and with your babes.

NewMama, I'm sorry about the house... It really was incredible, but it might be less stressful to take more time to look and decide (trying to look on the bright side here!)

I can't believe so many of you have TALKING babies! Clara said her first real words this summer: kitty and duck (both live in the house next door) but has hardly said even those since, and really doesn't say much beyond a lot of babble. She does understand an amazing amount, and is learning a few signs. I really want to be more focused with the signs, now that she's really started using "more" and "gentle" consistently. Also, she's only been really walking for a few weeks now. And I didn't think she was behind until I read about all of your babies! But I'm not worried. It's pretty normal for premies to be all over the map developmentally, and it's clear that she's bright and interested in the world.

Well, I've sayed up way past my bedtime, so I'm signing off, but it's good to "see" you all again!

-Caren
#219 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 AM

I have an Owen too (grandson in Utah) and my youngest daughter is Amalie. (named after a princess in my husband's lineage). No connections with Washington other than my dh has considered moving there for work.

About talking? Nathanael's still at da-da stage and a lot of squeeling and what not. Considering he's almost crawling I know he's working more on that than speech.

OH he's started imitating! I forgot to come on the other day and tell you girls! I started singing patty cake patty cake the other day and he looked at me like, ok that's my cue, and he started clapping..he even tries to pat it and mark it with an N and then when the song is done he tries to clap really fast when I say YAY!! It's extra cute because his little hands bend over backward almost touching his arms so he's a bit overly floppy. He can almost touch his legs with his toes too. Kids with DS can really flex like that which is kind of cute on one regard yet scary on another as you can pop joints waaay too easy without even trying.

Ok I'm babbling now. KItty
#220 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 AM

I should include the reason why patty cake was so significant for us is he hasn't done anything that coordinated in a while. Actually connecting with both hands was a milestone for me. Not to mention the recognition of the song.
#221 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 02:23 PM

YAY Nathaneal! That's so great, Kitty!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#222 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 02:32 PM

:

Wow! What a lovely welcome...thank you!

Chasmyn: I actually spent a couple of hours reading your journey and life with Quinn the other night when I first found this thread...I was very moved by your story, and needless to say extremely sad...I just sat on my couch as tears streamed down my face. The picture of you and Quinn as you held him is so lovely and heartbreaking at the same time...I loved looking at Quinn's pictures...he was a very happy little guy...

I didn't get a chance to check out your blog, but will get to it one of these days as Owen allows...and it would be great to meet!!!

Skana, Tova sounds adorable! Owen never scooted on his toosh, even though I would push him around that way! I thought it would be a hoot! But, alas, he did not listen to his mama! Owen didn't crawl till late really, (I can't remember exactly) and just now is walking. I try really hard not to compare him to other children, but I don't always succeed, as I notice that he is slower than his playmates...I hate that I notice those things...I just know he is developing well, at his pace. Sigh...(I don't mean to suggest that you are comparing BTW...just "venting" my own unhelpful internal thoughts!!! :

EStreetmama...WHAT? Another Owen??? I thought we were so original with his name... (J/K) I look forward to meeting you when we move down to Portland!

Hi New Mama! I'm sorry about the house...sending you good vibes...and hoping things still work out!!! We have found a house I LOVE, but being that we haven't even put our home on the market, it seems a bit unrealistic to even think we are going to get it...We did though contact the owner about a possible lease till our home sells, paying them full price, as we know that he is paying two mortgages...so who knows..maybe, maybe...although the thought of us over-extending ourselves financially doesn't appeal...and I know there are other houses...Maybe I just shouldn't look until I'm ready to buy??? Right!

Hi Fridgeart! I love the "yah!"...if Owen ever does anything like that he'd be eaten immediately!!!

Hi Caren!

Hi Kittie! Amalie is what my mom calls me! I love the imitating too..it's really cute! That's how he started with kiss...super cute! I sing the few songs I know, (which is really a limited list...) to Owen, but he doesn't seem too interested...maybe my singing is REALLY bad!!!

OK...off to take Owen outside and watch DH work...Have a great weekend everyone, and thanks again for your welcome. I'm glad I found you.
#223 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 03:06 PM

Welcome Amalia. If you were born in 1965, we need to talk!

I'm now getting closed-mouth kisses on request. Life is suddenly sweeter...

Here are some new pics. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/katewi...e2.jpg&.src=ph

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#224 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Kate, those pics are great! Wow, these babies are all getting so big! Now, since I missed the last 4 months of posting, I may have missed a similar discussion, so feel free to re-direct me. That said, my question for y'all is, what toys do your little ones play with? I'm feeling like Clara is ready for some new toys, and I'd love to ask for a couple really nice things for Christmas. Do you have any recomendations of things that your little ones really get into? She LOVES books, and I always get her more of those, but I'd love for her to explore some tactile things like playsilks or non-toxic crayons.

Amalia, I love your sig. about yarn deals!!!
#225 of 229 Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 PM

CarenSwan - right now A is into stacking and sorting. Really loves her shape sorters, tupperware of various sizes to stack in each other, duplo blocks to take apart and put together (and put away in the box) and at the end of the day, put it all back into the toy basket. The books are getting a good workout and I've given her a paper book (vs. board book) which has yet to be torn or eaten! She's also getting attached to her stuffed dog Sandy and enjoys pushing him around in her cart. An old cell phone is fun now too - she likes to pretend she's talking on the phone and says "hi dada" about a thousand times a day. HTH.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#226 of 229 Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Amalia -- Welcome. Your story was so sad and how you both handled it seemed so brave. The story -- how you wrote it -- was full of beauty and wonder along with the extreme sadness.

Kitty -- Clap clap for Nathaniel!!

All -- We have walking here, too. After a weekend away with other babies who were walking, O came home and decided to give it more of a try. (During that weekend with the other babies O would not walk AT ALL! As though she didn't want to mess up in front of the others! )

I forget if I told you all already that O made a few sentences. She bonked her daddy in the head -- they like to head butt each other at dinner -- and then said 'that's right!' She also said 'hi dada' and 'that's crazy!'

Gotta get to bed soon. Hugs to all!
#227 of 229 Old 10-01-2006, 10:44 PM

wow, sorting and whole sentences But those things would require Em to sit down for more than two minutes and us to quit translating for her. And since she's our last, I think we'll content ourselves with her timing..
#228 of 229 Old 10-02-2006, 05:53 PM

Just so you know, I started an October thread. I'm kind of excited. I've never started a thread for this group before. I'm not usually that on top of things at MDC!
#229 of 229 Old 10-02-2006, 06:03 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=531777

Here it is, see you there!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page