So Big! --June '04 Toddlers, Fall '06 thread-- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's September First! I feel like BooBah is so big, what with her choosing not to wear diapers and having such strong opinions about everything. She's been refusing to wear anything that's not made of super soft fleece, and she's such a big girl (even though she hasn't grown physically recently). I'm in love. :

How's it going?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 05:19 PM

We're doing well. Lily is our entertainer. If she does something andher sisters laughshe takes it to the next level to get them to laugh harder. I feel like I live in a comedy show. She's also so incredibly independant. She has to do everything herself. I can't tell you how many times a day I count to 10 and take a deep breath.:
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Subbing To Thread Stop Moving In Two Days Stop Don't Know What We're Doing Stop Moving With Two Year Old Interesting Experience Stop To Say Nothing Of Intermittent Hurricane Warnings While Trying To Move Stop Glad Everyone Is Well Stop MDC WON'T LET ME KEEP IT IN ALL CAPS WHICH SPOILS THE WIT OF IT STOP Here Ends This Telegram From The Southern Front Stop
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM

Liz I've been thinking about you and hoping that you were safe fron Ernesto. Good Luck w/ your move!
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Killy's quite the big boy, too - physically and developmentally! He just cracks me up all the time, he's very observant and in that phase where he repeats anything and everything adults say. Especially if other adults find it funny!

My parents are visiting this weekend, so I won't be online much. I hope everyone has a good Labor Day!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Liz!!

Thanks Rynna for starting the new thread!

We're doing incredibly well. Partial weaning (3X a day) has been SO positive. I have so much more energy and I just feel like I'm really enjoying her so much more now that I'm not spending so much time trying to stay one step ahead of her nursing demands!

She got her first pair of 'big girl sneakers' last week. Loves climbing and jumping and is just looking so grown up (in a two year old sort of way).

Lily is really picking up on adult expressions too. The other day in the car someone cut me off and she said...."Mama, some people don't know how to drive. That's what Papa says."

I told DH and he was like...Thank God that's all I said. I had no idea she was even listening to my grumblings.

She also told the dog the other day....Hey Gilly. Come here. I have some options for you. Ok Gilly. You need to make a choice...which stick do you want to play with. The big one. Ok. Good choice Gilly.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Lily is really picking up on adult expressions too. The other day in the car someone cut me off and she said...."Mama, some people don't know how to drive. That's what Papa says."

I told DH and he was like...Thank God that's all I said. I had no idea she was even listening to my grumblings.
: My kids do stuff like that all the time... only I do say more!

Liz, I'm glad you seem to be maintaining your sense of humor!

I found two *adorable* pairs of shoes for BooBah a few weeks ago at ross; 6.5 XW and 7 W. The 6.5's are just brown suede with velcro, they're pretty boring, but the 7's are the most freaking adorable navy blue boots you've ever seen. I'll try to find or take a picture of them later.

Bella's learning to crawl! She's such a muffin. : Right now she's dowwnstairs waking Mike. She's also covered in chocolate, because I fell asleep last night and forgot about a small bit of chocolate that *I* had left in bed. I'm supposed to be the grownup! Horrible, no? I got most of it off of her (it melted all over her onesie) but she's still got a few patches. I'm such a freak.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Shoes. How perfect, they're called "Sadie," apparently! These are similar, the same design & floral pattern, only BooBah's are navy blue leather. The flower pattern shows up so much more clearly on the dark, smooth leather. I love them!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 PM

We just bought some boots today at Target--R is now in a size 9!

Liz, hoping everything is going well for you and can't wait to hear from you when you get settled.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

: OMG, BeanBean wears a nine! Granted, it's a nine-ridiculously-wide, but still only a nine.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM

I know, it's crazy, isn't it? She's got a very narrow foot, so his probably *look* more like nines than hers do. I still have trouble going to the right size for her because they *look* humungous.

Is anyone else's kid obsessed (OBSESSED!) with lining things up? I adore this because it reminds me of what I liked to do as a kid, and it totally cracks me up. Today it was all her vehicles stood up on end in a row on the couch. I think she might have a future as a conceptual artist...
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM

Lily likes to line shoes up and she knows which shoes belong to who, even visitor shoes. It cracks me up!

I'm so sad tonight. One of my former students was killed in a car accident. He was racing another former student, lost control and hit a tree head on. he was 17. 17!! It's crazy! I guess they were drinking. They were both good boys, at least 8 years ago when they were in 3rd grade. The one who was killed didn't have the best home life. His parents were divorced and mom was a fruitcake, dad tried but mom had custody. Our communities where we live have lost so many young kids in the past few years. It really scares me to think my girls are going to grow up and be faced w/ so many crazy choices. I feel so bad for his family, he has an older brother and a little sister(I worked w/ all 3 of them) So sad! I have to for the first time go to a funeralof a former student. I would so prefer to go to weddings and baby showers.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sandi, that's so depressing.

BeanBean went through a serious lining-things-up phase when he was this age, but BooBah's not interested. She's only interested in wearing fleece pajamas and nothing else. I've decided that I'm going to try making her some bottoms, because her legs are super short. She really needs a 2 on the bottom and at least a 3 on the top (a four isn't too big), so I'm gonna try (try being the operative word) to find an inexpensive, super easy pants pattern and some fleece.

Bella is sick; she caught a cold from BizzyBug. BooBah is also sick-- two poopy accidents yesterday, when she hasn't even pooped in a diaper since before her birthday. I think she's dehydrated, too, and she looks like somebody hit her in the eyes, poor kid. I hate it when the kids are sick and miserable, it just makes me feel utterly impotent.

Today is the first official day of cyberschool!! There's an assembly at nine, but I have to log in early because I don't have have a high speed connection. Hopefully we'll be moving to high-speed in the near future. : You can get it for $35 a month, which is pretty much what we're paying now for dialup. Mike's only concern is antivirus software (a valid and pressing one for us!); right now we get ours at a discount through our ISP. Here's hoping Embarq offers the same thing.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Obessive lining up and doing things in the correct order here, too. My dad was explaining Killy's rules for rolling things down the slide in the backyard: balls first, in ascending order according to size, then vehicles, also in ascending order of size. And, if anything was rolled down the slide out of order, everything had to be started again. And, we also have to sing our blessing twice everynight. And, there's a million other obsessive things he does...

Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 PM

We are night weaning here. I need sleep and Lily wanting to nurse all night long is making it impossible for me to get any sleep let alone a good night's sleep. Last night was horrible! She woke up at 11:00 and because I was still awake I nursed her back to sleep. THne she woke up at 3:30 and pawed at me for 40 minutes before I finally got dh to take her back to her room. She flipped out and wouldn't even let him touch her. I went in and she held her hands up to me, I picked herup she snuggled against me and we went back to my bed where she fell asleep until 7:30. I told my dh that I feel horrible about night weaning her but at the same time I NEED sleep! I'm a much better mommy when I've gotten a good night sleep. This was all spurred on by her sleeping until 5:30 in the morning one night which gave me 6 1/2 hours of solid sleep. I felt so much better the next day. I had energy, I wasn't short w/ everyone. It was great. Of course the next several nights she was up every hour to nurse and would nurse non-stop. I keep telling myself it's going to get better. The other two were so much easier to night wean!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM

Pictures!

We had a big weekend here, my parents came to visit and it was lovely. We did it all: children's farmstead, local arts and crafts festival, Renfest, train restaurant, the park, church... it was fabulous. Here's a few pics: me and Killy, and then Killy being cuddly, Ellie crawling around the park, and DH and the kids wiped out. Oh, and I put new pics in my sig.

ARGH! The knocking Ellie down and stomping her fingers things is really driving me nuts. I pull him up into my lap and ask him what he can do to make Ellie feel better, and he'll say, "Sorry, Ellie!" and frantically blow her kisses, or ask to go hug her. But, then he'll do the same thing 5 minutes later. Its really testing my patience.

He comes out with some really funny things, though! My parents were visiting, so DH and I were taking a shower together. When we came downstairs afterward, Killy jumped up and said, "Nice to Ellie!" so DH said, "Awwww... were you being nice to Ellie?" and in a really, quiet, guilty voice after a pause, Killy said, "No." Why does he tell on himself? That's just silly! Later, Killy was being rough with me while he was in the Ergo, and my mom said, "Killy, I want you to be nice to mommy - she's MY baby!" and Killy looked at her like she was nuts and said, "No! Ellie's a baby!" Hmmm... writing it out, those don't sound too funny. I guess you had to be there...

Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I have new pics in my sig, too, under Rynna, BeanBean, and BooBah. I've got more Bella pics, but I haven't had time to sort through them yet. I really, really, really need to get a digital camera.

QoC-- He tells on himself because he thinks you already know; when they're teensy, kids believe that everyone can read their minds. Just wait until he figures out lying... : BooBah is not remotely disingenuous, but she's learned to lie from her brother. She's also picked up a flair for drama from him-- "If you don't give me jellium, I'll never be happy again! I will never have jellium, never!" Real tears and everything! : That's pure BeanBean. Hilarious, and oh-so-awful to live with.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:30 PM

I forgot we had a new thread!

Dd had her first day of preschool today! Of course, she loved it and had a great time. I'm not social enough to keep the poor little thing home with me all the time. Ds and I had a great time hanging out together while she was there. I've never really had one-on-one time with him. I think this will work out well for us.

I'm glad to hear everything is going well for all of you!

BTW, Rynna, dd had those same navy boots last fall. They are adorable!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 PM

Just in the last few days DD has figured out the phrase "I don't know!" and she says it in this incredulous voice as if she can barely believe that all she has to do is admit this and someone will tell her the information she doesn't have. Again, perhaps one has to hear it but it is so freakin' funny!

Sandi, I hope the nightweaning is going well. Sometimes I really feel like doing it, but nightnursing doesn't really bother me that much. Bedtime battles, on the other hand, are making me . Thank goodness the days are getting shorter so we don't have sun glaring into our bedroom until 10pm any more...

QoC, great pics as always. You are looking wonderful, mama.

Hey Rynna, I don't think I ever saw a picture of YOU before. Now I know why your children are so beautiful.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
Hey Rynna, I don't think I ever saw a picture of YOU before. Now I know why your children are so beautiful.
Thanks!

There is a picture of me on my blog, just one, though. I do my best to stay on the other side of the camera, because I hate looking at my fat body... It's bad enough I have to see the tags in my clothes.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:46 PM

I KWYM, I hate looking at myself. I've lost some weight but all I can see is the weight I have left to lose. Have you seen that ad about the woman who did Jenny Craig so she would stop taking herself out of family pictures? (It's probably a few years ago, we no longer have a TV) That's me...

Anyway. Rynna you are truly lovely.

When do kids stop drawing on the walls? The sidewalk chalk QoC recommended really helped, but we still can't leave a pen anywhere R can climb to it...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
When do kids stop drawing on the walls? The sidewalk chalk QoC recommended really helped, but we still can't leave a pen anywhere R can climb to it...
Ummm, I'd love to tell you 2 but well my oldest, 7, stenciled her room w/ a pencil.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:12 PM

Lily was so cute this morning. She was wearing a long flowy nightie and discovered how to make it twirll out. She kept saying "watch mommy"! So CUTE.

She is cutting 4 molars! It totally SUCKS! Last night I broke down and got some motrin and nighttime oragel. I need SLEEP! She woke up around 12:00 and came into our bed and then slept until 5:30 nursed for an hour and then got up w/ dh at 6:30. That's the best night of sleep I've had in WEEKS! Currently she's snoozing at the boob. Poor thing she must be tired too.

Potty using is going really well here. She has an occasional accident but for the most part she's doing really well, and I'm totally LOVING not doing the extra load of laundry every other day. I'm also loving the extra cash I'm getting from selling off all my dipes! I guess we are moving into the next stage. It's weird to think that I will porbably never change another diaper that belongs to one of my kids.

School is going well for Lauren & Maddie. Lauren's teacher this year seems excellent so far. She has already begun achedemic type stuff and allows them recess every day. She is coming home so much happier then she did last year. I really didn't realize how unhappy SHE was until she was out of the situation. We were talkingthe other day and she was rating her school years and this year so far is the best and last year was the worst w/ Kinder and pre-k in the middle. Hopefully it will continue to be a great year! OUr only problem is that she is exhusted!! Of course she doesn't want to go to bed earlier but I'm working on it. The first couple of weeks back are always the hardest , sleep wise.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

BeanBean isn't a huge wall-writer, but BooBah certainly is and I suspect it'll be a long time before that changes.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:44 PM

I thought we were through with the writing on the wall stage, too, but Killy found a brown crayon the other day and had decorated a book, a toy, the backdoor, and the floor before I caught him writing on the babygate. : And, he did all that in about 2 minutes!

I have issues with pictures of myself, too. I put tons of pics on our website, but I don't add the vast majority of the ones with me in them. Sometimes, though, DH gets a good one with me in it. However, I still pick apart pics of myself and beat myself up over my weight. I've lost 55+ lbs since the week before Ellie was born, and am back in my pre-preg size 4s so I'm mostly happy with my weight now... but I'm still almost 10 lbs over my wedding day weight, so I'm not 100% happy. I just have body-image issues that will never go away completely, and have honestly been one of the hardest things about motherhood for me. My body has seen such dramatic changes and fluctuations from having 2 babies less than 18 months apart, and I feel really crappy for being shallow enough to obsess over my weight when I should just be thankful for having healthy happy kiddos...

Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM

I have to share a funny: We were watching The Incredibles yesterday (but, boy, does it have a lot of guns in it! I felt bad after we started watching it...), and when it got to the part with the big robot, Killy got scared. He peed on the couch and yelled at the robot to be nice, but then he asked me to turn it off so we did. Later he ask for the robot movie again, so we tried it again and within a minute he asked for it to be turned off. So, later DH took him to the store and it was after sunset so it was dark in the car and Killy was saying, "Mean robots, mean robots..." for awhile, and then started saying "no! silly robots!" so he was really trying to cope. (how cool is that?) DH and I were sure that he would wake up with bad dreams, and sure enough at 1:30am, he woke up screaming. DH ran into his room and said, "What's wrong?" and Killy replied "CHICKENS!" DH was really confused and said, "Chickens?" and Killy said, "Bock, bock, bock! Chickens!" and then DH laid down with him and got him to go to sleep. This morning, in the car on the way to the park, I ask Killy what the chickens he dreamt about last night were doing. "Chickens eat firetruck!" was his reply. How bizzare is that? He had a nightmare about chickens eating a firetruck.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Queenie...that's so cool.

It's just so neat to see how their language and imagination are developing. Yesterday Lily was resisting her nap (ie having a total meltdown tantrum). I closed her in her room and said she needed to calm herself down and then we would talk. In about 20 seconds she said she was done crying and ready for me to come in. Then very calmly and sweetly she told me "Mama my body does not feel ready to go to sleep yet. I need to come back downstairs and play for a while."

I agreed and she did. About an hour later she told me she was feeling tired and we went back up. No crying. No whining. We nursed. She asked for her paci. Then took it out and said. "I love you mama. Can I give you a butterfly kiss?" :

OMG. I just about melted.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

: That's so adorable

My kids have a thing about going anywhere without all of them. Last night I took BooBah out and as soon as I started to pull away from the curb, she started whimpering at me.."Mamma, you forgot Bella! Don't drive without Bella! Don't forget your BeanBean!" I told her that they were staying home with daddy, but she wasn't pleased; when we got back, she looked at me very seriously and said, "Do not ever drive without your Bella again! Do not drive without BeanBean!" and then she reminded me to get the bags before we went into the house.

They all do this, though Bella is not so verbal about it.. lots of "Ooo ooo! Eeeehhhhhwwwwweeee! Oooooo!" from her. Even when they're upset with one another, they're very attached and devoted. BeanBean and BooBah can be arguing over something, but the minute another person (including Mike & myself) tries to step in, they become a united force. I think it's pretty sweet.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 AM

How I've missed you all!

LOVE reading about the 'new' babies.

Banyan's started a preschool program two mornings a week. Anyone else? It is very hard. VERY hard. He's having a harder time than anyone else in the class (12 kids, all 2 years old, 2 teachers, both fabulous). It's a Reggio Emilia program that I absolutely love. But he seems to have a lot of sadness which I wasn't expecting from my attached, outgoing youngun.

I'm happy his first real bout with sadness comes in a safe environment, and I know that if I pull him out now it will be exponentially harder the next time around. So we're in it for the long haul. I just feel guilty and hope so much that the good outweighs the bad for him.

A cute thing...

Yesterday he said, suddenly and with URGENCY: "I don't have a computer!!" And I answered, surprised, "No? Mama has a computer, and Papa has a computer. You have a keyboard and a mouse though!" And Banyan said, "But I don't have a computer. And I have a looooot of work to do!"

I'll be checking in much more. These are interesting times, aren't they.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm considering putting BeanBean into a preschool program at our local Sudbury school; I think he could get a lot out of it, and it's only one morning a week. We'll see.

User Tag List