How much TV does your Child/Toddler watch? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say no TV but in reality, she watches maybe 2-3 minutes a day because I'm watching it.

twice I've let her watch about 15 minutses straight- one was called "Kids on Kids on Kids" on HBO, it was interviews with children giving silly responses to serious questions. Second was "The Baby Human" which is about infant development. Neither show featured flashing lights, or had lots of sudden camera movement, it was mostly just calm, still focusing on one child. Was it "good for her'? No, but it sure entertained her while I did something I needed to do. I don't plan to make a habit of it any time soon.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#92 of 95 Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM

I think the less TV the better. My dd (16 months) only even sees a TV on at my in-laws and she so far has shown no interest. We don't have cable at home and only watch DVD's after she is asleep. I'm sure she'll want to watch DVD's or videos as she gets older and i'll probably let her in small quantities.
#93 of 95 Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM

The little guy watches absolutely none. My older boy (8) is allowed to watch some videos and sometimes we'll all have a "family movie night" which is either a video or something interesting on TLC or Discovery.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#94 of 95 Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuma
I also need help with this! We do limit the kids tv during the week, they can watch one half hour show after school and that is it. On the weekends though, we don't really limit it...and they really watch too much.....combine this with the computer time and video games and ....: I am really lacking in this parenting area!!!!!

I need a buddy too!!!!
OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one! We were doing real well. My son would watch a little Baby Einstein here, a little Classical Babies there (which I really enjoy too). Then I had foot surgery. At first it wasn't so bad because there were four adults in the house a lot of the time- my dh was on vacation and my mom and dad were here. Ds would come to "visit" me in bed and we would read or play, with the Food Network on. Now, dh is back at work, mom and dad are gone, and I'm still recovering from foot surgery aND shoulder surgery. Urg. Doing the household chores is hard enough, but with an active two year old- wow. For a while our mornings were spent with him watching PBS or Disney (shudder) shows, because at least they don't have BLATANT adverstising- though I know their shows are heavily marketed. I would try to get some chores done. Now, I figured out, hey, morning is when my foot and shoulder are at their best, let's get moving. So I've made mornings the focus on son time, with us going to the park. Afternoons I pray for him to nap, and then try to do something, but physical therapy and doctor's appts. often mess that up. I've had a teen volunteer to be a mother's helper a few days a week, so maybe I can do something there. I feel completely worn out. I have no "fun" in my life right now, and I really, really need it. I'm so focused on trying to keep up with my toddler and keep the house in somewhat respectiable condition- plus there's a distinct possibility we will be moving cross country in the next few months. So, the TV has become a babysitter. I too, would like encouragement. My mom reminds me, this is a momentary issue, but it (TV watching) could so easily become a permament problem if I don't do something. Wow. I just realized how much I wrote. Sorry about that. I had just wanted to write and say, I'm on the band wagon for limiting TV.
#95 of 95 Old 09-16-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs
The AAP also recommends vaccinations, and is not strongly against circumcision (simply calling it medically unnecessary, but acceptign social and religious reasons), and has other not-so-crunchy recommendations and suggestions for parents....so I often find it amusing that so many point out the AAP recommendation regarding TV but then ignore their other recommendations.
Well, it's not so incongruous, when you consider the fact that there are studies and research that contradicts the AAP's standpoint on vaccines (ok, they're a little questionable IMO - we vax - but still), circumcision, and cosleeping - but there's never been any research that shows ANY benefit to TV watching for toddlers. There just isn't any. None. And if even the Entertainment Industry (tm) can't find a way to research and promote TV watching for babes (beyond their marketing slogans), then really, who could? It's been proven over and over and over again that television is not good for babies and toddlers on so many levels; and then there's the anecdotal evidence that it keeps mama sane. So you picks your team, and makes your bet, based on what works for you.

Full disclosure: I used to let my firstborn watch LOTS of tv, including baby einstein. We pulled the plug at 3 and are very, very grateful for it. The downsides were pretty apparent after 3 (namely - "I'm bored" and nagging to watch it, all the time). I now find much of the major baby-tv marketing strategies - and the way they make the films in order to artificially keep a baby's attention - purposefully insidious. She still watches DVDs from the library, and films, on the weekends, but no more of the 2-hour tv show marathons...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page