dd's terrified of baby einstein! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-28-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's crazy, but there it is!

DD is learning French (from DH) and we wanted to get a toddler appropriate video that had a french language track (not subtitles). We looked at every dvd in our local Boarders and the only choices were Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (with Depp), and the Baby Einstein DVDs. Which we thought was really odd. Anyway, since dd has only ever seen Sesame Street, Wai Lana's Yoga, and the Singing Times dvds we thought the Baby Einstein was going to be a better fit than the flashy/loud feature films.

Anyway, we got home, put on the dvd and as soon as the first puppet appeared on screen and said something in French she started screaming...tears and all! We turned it off and decided to try it in English to see if that was the problem. Well, she held onto me in "baby barnacle" mode while the dvd went through things you find in the kitchen. We turned it off after a few minutes since she was obviously scared (still hanging onto me with a death grip and totally silent).

I feel awful that she was so scared but part of me is having trouble figuring out what could have possibly caused such a reaction! Am I the only mama out there who's little one is terrified of Baby Einstein? Are sock puppets really that scary to a toddler who thinks Sesame Street is a blast?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 AM

Mine doesn't like them either, not sure why?
#3 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 AM

That was ds's reaction to the Baby Mozart DVD. Well, to be fair, he did sit and watch it for a couple of minutes before deciding that it was the most terrifying thing he had ever seen. We never did figure out the issue. Can't say we tried too hard, though, because it just didn't seem like he was missing much of anything.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#4 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah...we've been avoiding baby einstein and it's like since dd was born (and it almost hurt to pay money for the dvd...but dh really wanted a toddler friendly french language dvd to back up what he's been teaching dd). I'm not sure I see their appeal...even without dd's extreme reaction!

Sigh...I know I can pass the dvd along to a friend who's dd loves those things, but money is tight and this was sort of a trade-off...instead of our monthly dinner out we got the dvd and now, well...I'm both a little amused at the extreme reaction (horror? over sock puppets?) and bummed out at the wasted money.

I'm glad it's not just dd though! thanks mamas!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you could put it on ebay and recoup.

Dd loves that stuff, I think it's kinda scary myself.
#6 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't blame her from being terrified! My son didn't like Baby Einstein either, but he was just bored of it. If I actually do put a video on to give myself 5-8 minutes to drink a coffee (which is like never) I put on Rush's R30 dvd. He really like the drum solo (8 min)which is about all his attention span can handle. Anyways, maybe you could put the dvd on consignment or something (ebay?) so the money is not completely lost. Maybe then you and your DH could go for some dessert if not dinner?

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
#7 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 AM

And you might be interested to find out that DVDs do not help a child learn a foreign language, despite what the box says. It's the interpersonal aspect that helps a child to learn a foreign language.

http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/arti...articleID=2149

And...I'm terrified of baby einstein. Especially the end, with Sierra and Madison. They really scare me.
#8 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Dd loves that stuff, I think it's kinda scary myself.
That's what I was gonna say.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM

wombatclay: It's quite possible that in a few months your DD would have outgrown the "fear"... (In case you don't want to give away the DVD). There's never any telling.
#10 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 AM

DS was frightened by certain parts of the BE video's when he was younger like the elephants trumpeting etc but he grew out of it.
He is also terrified by those stupid toys that are animated like the bouncing tigger...thankfully we don't own any but we we go to others people homes I try to tuck them away.

We are also raising our children bilingual so DS watches T.V in both languages depending on who turned on the T.V, Mama or Papa.

How about ordering some DVDs from Amazon.ca if they ship to the U.S. or I would assume Amazon.com must have a DVD section in French.

Also there are lots of French Canadian Children T.V shows which you could buy. Off the top of my head though I can't think of anything in the BE ilk. Sorry will look into that if I can get a chance.
#11 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#12 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And you might be interested to find out that DVDs do not help a child learn a foreign language, despite what the box says. It's the interpersonal aspect that helps a child to learn a foreign language.
I know!

DH speaks french with dd, I speak englsih, and we both use ASL. She has a huge ASL vocab and english vocab, but her french is further behind since she just doesn't hear it as much (I don't know french and rely on the asl to figure out what dh says). We haven't let her watch any films or cartoons (she's only 17.5 months) so using the french language track on a film wasn't our first choice for adding more french to her daily environment. We had really hoped to find something like Thomas or Sesame Street in French, but they all have spanish tracks instead so we went with Baby Wordsworth (by einstein).

DD might outgrow her fear, but I think I'll pass the dvd along to a friend with a younger babe since maybe it will be more enjoyed by her little one.

#13 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We had really hoped to find something like Thomas or Sesame Street in French, but they all have spanish tracks instead so we went with Baby Wordsworth (by einstein).
If you would still be interested in finding those I would suggest looking at Canadian websites. Here in Montreal it's easy as pie to find Sesame St in French. Perhaps amazon.ca or chapters.indigo.ca

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#14 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks pianojazzgirl! We were hoping to find something local but I guess we'll need to do the online order to find something that works for us. It was really odd standing in Borders, looking at an entire WALL of dvds for kids and finding only four or five feature length films with french language tracks! I remember watching Sesame Street in French as a kid so I knew it was out there.

Actually, we visit Montreal a few times a year so I guess I'll add a few things to our "want to find" list for our next trip.

#15 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 PM

Our dd is TERRIFIED of Teletubbies. Actually, the teletubbies themselves don't scare her, it's the "sun" which comes up and has the face of a baby in it. Ds loved it and would laugh along with it. Dd acts as if she's about to be attacked by aliens, poor kid. The funny thing is that at age 5, every once in a great while ds will ask to watch teletubbies for his tv time, and dd will come screaming up from the basement.

Can't predict which ones are going to freak them out, can you?

Canada is a great idea for French! You might also see if there are any French parents in the area that want to do a playgroup - seeing other kids use French might help. (Though to be honest, since dh speaks English to you, and you don't speak French, her French will have the hardest time -- unless you go regularly to a French speaking area.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#16 of 24 Old 09-29-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
(Though to be honest, since dh speaks English to you, and you don't speak French, her French will have the hardest time -- unless you go regularly to a French speaking area.)
I'm not sure that that is true. Our neighbours are raising their son to speak both English and French. The dad only speaks English and the mom only speaks French - but the dad speaks French to the mom. We live in a totally French-speaking area. But the boy (26 months old) knows tons of English.

#17 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 01:58 AM

Ya know, I've heard that while babies/ toddlers cannot learn their first (spoken) language from television/ dvd/ video, etc, that older toddlers and preschool aged children (who have already established a spoken language) can and do learn second and subsequent languages from videos (Muzzy, etc). I don't think Baby Einstein would have the conversational context and complexity to really do the job, though! :
#18 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
I'm not sure that that is true. Our neighbours are raising their son to speak both English and French. The dad only speaks English and the mom only speaks French - but the dad speaks French to the mom. We live in a totally French-speaking area. But the boy (26 months old) knows tons of English.
I said it would have the "hardest time" (because there are THREE languages in the family, not just two) not that it would be impossible! And it depends on the child, how much time each parent spends with them, how close extended family who speak each language are, and the value that both the family and the community place on each language and a whole host of other factors.

And I strongly suspect that in Montreal, the child has more opportunity to hear English than an American child would to hear French.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#19 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
I said it would have the "hardest time" (because there are THREE languages in the family, not just two) not that it would be impossible! And it depends on the child, how much time each parent spends with them, how close extended family who speak each language are, and the value that both the family and the community place on each language and a whole host of other factors.

And I strongly suspect that in Montreal, the child has more opportunity to hear English than an American child would to hear French.
Yeah, that's true. I think I read your post wrong.

#20 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 11:49 AM

My 19 mo DD is afraid of the Baby Einstein puppets, too. She was ok with them for a couple minutes, then one of them made a noise she didn't like and now she won't watch it. But then she is also afraid of the feller-buncher in Mighty Machines.
#21 of 24 Old 09-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Wow!!! I feel bad but at the same time that's kind of cute-funny You really never know what will scare kids. Paddy knocked over the tea chest today and cried. He knocks things over all the time, even his big box of wooden letter blocks! But the tea chest was different. He loves the BE puppets though. Thinks they're funny and giggles when he sees them...but this is a child who laughs at everything, even the wind blowing through his hair.
#22 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 12:15 AM

Clay-Andrew hated Baby Einstein too. I was a bit freaked out by it...like a bad head trip...:

Have you tried Caillou? Andrew loves it! He's on PBS, but originally in french from Canada. I just got some books from a mama up there, but I bet you could find some dvds with the french track. Actually, any of the cartoons should just have the french voiceovers. I could see if friends in Montreal could do something to help or give suggestions-they are multilingual (eng/span/fre) and get everything in each language.
#23 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 12:15 PM

What about Muzzy? We used to watch it in high school french, actually. And there is surely a french-language sesame street, but you would probably have to find it online. We have "Sesame English" DVDs, which are designed for kids learning english as a second language, with chinese as their first language. (um, we didn't really know that when we bought it - we thought it ws just english-language sesame street - but we only paid $2 for a box set of 8 DVDs, plus 2 movies - the beauty of china). But the Sesame Workshop puts out programs in tons of languages.

A warning about Cailliou - he is super whiney and bratty and always gets rewarded for such behavior. I won't let my DD watch it after I really sat down and watched it myself.
#24 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Another idea (that you've probably thought of, but anyway...)
what about french music cds, or french radio programs over the internet? Just a thought that doesn't involve tv.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page