May 2004----> October 2006. Still at it. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, who's the postypants now? Just tell me to shut up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Okay Sherri... I'm trying a new "don't say nap" regimine today. I got Mia a little cd player for her room and today is Day 1 of Operation Quiet Time. I think listening to music will help keep her in her room for ~30 min ore so. Who knows... she might even *gasp*, fall asleep! Wish me luck!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah'sMama View Post
I'll post a link to the virtual tour on the YG.... Tons of luck with the open house this weekend!

Good lord, your house is great. And I would love middle-of-nowhere Maine. Sigh.

So where's the pics of the new house, postypants?

And on the redhead thing - we specifically selected a redheaded sperm donor and not a bit of it has shown up in E! Your kids have my dream hair!!! We hope that this next one can get some red curls out of the deal.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Red Curly is my dreamhair too. sigh.

Sherri Postypants, you really are outta control. And yes, you are welcome anytime in Juan Gabriel's house!!! Viet's comment was, maybe he'll see Sol and his heart will melt and he will sell (finance) you the house! yeaaaah riiiight.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 PM

I bow down to the undisputed current posty-pants, miss Sherri

Lisa and Sherri- good luck with the house selling- one good thing about apartment living is that moving is really simple, so I don't envy ya'll.

Elsanne- I am glad you're getting things fixed. Moldy roof- yuck!

Meg and others with sleep woes: L has been getting up earlier and EARLIER and _EARLIER_ and not napping much. : He used to consistantly get 11 hours, which I never thought was enough anyway. I have finally purchased a VERY expensive $50 alarm clock with CD player and MP3 capability, and we are starting a new program next week: first the morning music comes on, then it's time for mommy milk. (I'm thinkin' that movement by Dvorak, or the one from the William Tell Overture). I've basically drawn the line at going in before 6:15 am, which means dh lies next to ds as he screams for half an hour or more. : Something has to give. I hope this super-expensive purchase does the trick.

Jstar- see ya soon. I am SO BAD I am supposed to be paying bills right now.

Emily- first you'll be in the middle of a big move, and then you'll get preggers.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM

red curly is bill's scared-of-getting-a-child-with-such-hair-color hair... both his sisters are red hair variants and very fair skinned (auburn red and strawberry blonde).

stefan is sleeping, my dad is napping and marek is playing happily with his legos while thomas the tank engine plays on the tv, so i have a few more minutes to write a note to you all.

on the freak outs, bill is working from home for the next two weeks. i don't know quite what that means our days will look like, but i am relieved. perhaps now that stefan is turning a month old (on monday!!! yipes!!! where did the month go?) some patterns will begin to emerge and i can better gauge each day's activities. mostly i just don't want to be alone at home with both of them for many hours each day since i know that makes me more edgy and prone to stress and anger and marek really likes the change of a different environment for a little while each day, too. bill asked me if i wanted him to go on family leave for the next two weeks but then told me that it probably wouldn't make sense for him to do that because people will be calling him anyway since he is the only one who knows the entirety of how this particular piece of software he's working on all works together. and if people are going to be calling him anyway, then why not get paid for working when you actually are working? i reminded him that he also needs to sleep because he becomes increasingly grumpy when he doesn't get enough, which means that he can't just shift his workday to 10pm-6am and expect to be helpful to me during the normal daylight awake times. we'll see how the beginning of the week goes...

stefan is feeling and looking bigger already, which i guess makes sense since he is turning a month old on monday. we'll probably find out just how much bigger sometime next week when we go to our midwife's office for our 4 weeks appointment. that's where the scale is that weighed him at birth. he's eating well and pooping and peeing plenty, and my milk seems to be sufficient so most days i'm not too worried. i do think about it at least once each day, though, and i wish i had a reliable and accurate scale accessible to me close by.

the drama of the two year old is going on at our house constantly as well. strong insistence of having what he wants right at that moment, excessive whininess, "pwease, pwease, pwease...", screaming, etc. etc... gaaaaaaaaaaah... i've tried acknowledging his feelings but he gets madder and more upset. i've tried redirecting and that seems to work best but not all the time. running out of tools to try, though. and bill and i have different methods of addressing the situations, which we know need to be more consistent but since we haven't found a successful way of dealing with it, we keep trying different things. also, the ways we keep trying don't feel quite right so i'm wondering what other things people do... perhaps i will peruse the gd forum a little...

okay, crackers keep ending up on the floor instead of in marek's mouth, so i'm going to go.

to my may mamas... mmf!

~claudia
Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 PM

I don't think I can keep up with this flurry of posting, since I'm just popping in. But I read everyone's post and I'm thinking positive/supportive/sympathic/amused/etc vibes your way.

Sign me up for red curly hair, too.

I just wanted to share my weird dream: I dreamt that my mastitis was really caused by my swallowing a string (which travelled to my breast and got tangled up and caused a plugged duct). And the cure for this (according to the dream dr.) was to do a needle aspiration of the string.

And L is commando crawling. also. She's still slow, but it kind of freaks me out.

Okay, gotta go. My mom is here and dinner is ready (I made it, but I'm taking a nursing break while dh serves ).
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, I am obsessed with all things fertility...are you just doing "that other thing" and temping? Are you interested in suggestions/books/ideas for fertility tracking and awareness? Tell me to buzz off if you must...
Sure- load me up on info. We're charting on fertility friend, and I have TCOYF as my main reference. I'm thinking of throwing the big bucks at it this month and investing in some OPKs, just so I can feel like I have more things to obsess about than are hours in the day. My chart is here if anyone wants to really get into this with us. Because I know you have the time for that. :

We're having serious toddler drama here. Today's diatribe: "You NEVER let me do that!" (in response to such horrors as "can you please close the door so the bugs don't fly in?" and "I think we will play at this playground for ten more minutes then it will be time to go home.") I'm just waiting for the next step: "It's NOT FAIR!" And his drama is so hurty hurty- he will run off and cry in the corner to punish us. Or he will stand in the middle of a crowd and look really really pathetic, like a little lost boy, so random strangers will start to look nervous because they don't know if they should do something about this poor little waif. He did this at the airport the other day and I swear I thought someone was going to call the police on us. But then two minutes later he's forgotten the whole shenanigans and is laughing and climbing all over us again.

Are other babes hitting? I think we talked about this before, but we're having a lot of trouble with him hitting me out of frustration. I try to remind him that hitting is not allowed and that there are consequences, but he seems to get caught up in the heat of the moment and isn't thinking about consequences when he does it. Any advice?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Emmalola I don't know if this would work for y'all but I just go away when she hits me. Then she cries and comes after me. She doesn't hit me much at all.

ETA that I also let her know I don't want to play with/be around someone who hits me.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 AM

Claudia- glad Bill was able to work something semi-reasonable out. Try #3 next week for a visit??? I could take M and L out somewhere if that would be helpful. Oh, and about the chicken, I'm glad M liked it I just threw in the potatoes (organic of COURSE ) some salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and a wee bit of oil thrown on top. (Can't remember what kind of oil- bulk from People's co-op, so good stuff). Just baked uncovered for an hour .

Oh- a note to all on halloween costumes: take jstar's lead and start early! Isaac actually put on the shrek hood when I came over. Then I brought home the giraffe costume and Luke _refused_ to try it until dh and I had been wearing it around on our heads for the evening.

Seeing jstar's fam reminded me how much I miss hanin out with other mamas and kiddos. I pretty much just work and come home and crash with my own little fam. Missin me some Sarah and Lily time too. It shall happen at some point.

Maybe it's the shortening of the days: it makes me want to sit around the fire and chat with my tribe. I notice many of us are a little chattier these days. (Except where's Renae? Are you out there? Are you OK?)

Must clean dishes. Then going to bed early. Can't take the 5:45 am wake-ups. Zzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, Renae!!! Wherefore is she??? I miss the early morning posts. Starting the day off the Mama Faery way.

Despite all of us here in my world having respiratorial distress, which I am highly suspect of it's cause, I am totally LOVING the new house. It is sooo much bigger and better than my other place. Gotta run take Sol to school.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
Then I brought home the giraffe costume and Luke _refused_ to try it until dh and I had been wearing it around on our heads for the evening.
i hope he likes it. at least you have a couple of weeks to get him used to it. that's my tactic too. (and you motivated me to pay my bills last night too!)

els the new movie star house sounds luverrrly : post pics in the journal yes? i love seeing different architecture

hitting. yes. oh yes. in my world this is an improvement over biting sadly. so now we are working on the hitting and kicking.

man. we brought the kiddos into my office this morning for our holiday group photo and i bought a dozen donuts. and i ate 2 and drank some apple cider. and now i feel SOOOOOOO GROSS. that was *such* a bad idea :
Old 10-13-2006, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Jstar, get it STRAIGHT, he is a singer/composer, not a moviestar! HAHAHA I just wrote "composter" and then fixed it.

Whenever I get my hands on a digital camera, man, the world is MINE. Check my blog everbody for glorious MEMEMEME photos of me dancing and feeling important teacherlike. From the workshop in Mexico City.

Doughnuts mmmm but yeah can imagine feeling gross after two.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 PM

perhaps computer will return this week???

until then...just a wave...

sherri--so excited for the move! what a great time of year to settle in at your new location! hope the transition goes well for the girlies and what a sweetie that sarah is with her new lily-bob haircut! and lily being darling sweet herself! C is really hating having her hair combed/tamed these days so a chop might be in our near future as well.

kk---can't believe l is already on the move....yowza!!

renae--miss your purpley posts too!

els---was just going to comment that I absolutely loved the pics on your bloggy. You look just radiant and HAPPY in that top one...so in your element! so glad the house repairs are being made and that you're loving the new digs...hope everyone is feeling well soon!

C had much fun yesterday making DH his birthday cake from scratch. she is so neat with the pouring and mixing that I almost didn't need to help her that much (except for the oven bit)

Sleep? I think C is getting about 13/14 hours a day now, but that had been more like 11/12. She sleeps better when we have more park time or just long strolls to the bakery. Some days though she does manage without a nap if we're busier.

lisa---good luck with the house! And please tell me that the towels aren't always folded that neatly on the counter? .......and *hugs* so sorry to hear about your uncle. DH just lost his cousin to cancer and not so long after the diagnosis so it is tough. Tougher still with your dad's illness. And on top of that taking on a greater share of physical tasks and a two year old. phew. What are you doing to take care of you?

okay, done with random replies for now...hopefully will have some new pics to share next week. and let this be a PSA to you to print/make cds/etc of all your digital pics so you don't lose thousands of them like I did! (so pssst....sherri, when you get settled from your move can you email me any you have from august. )

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ack. I'm dyin here. I can't believe what a mega huge honkin amount of work mere existence can be. I am dying. Please consult blog for yesterday's trauma. I work so very, very hard just to keep it all together and not lose it. It amazes me to what extent parenting really shows you what you're made of.

I am passing the test. Barely, but respectably. *deeeep breath*

Heather get a new 'puter for heaven's sake. No person, especially a maymama who is required to post frequently, or even infrequently, should suffer the lack of computers when they abound so.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM

Lisa! Your place is beautiful! It just strikes me as a warm, inviting, home-y place. No doubt you'll get an offer quite soon! Are you moving very far away? Do you have a moving date set yet?

Heather, no prob, I'll email you some photos of August. You might need to remind me, though.

Send all your prayers/good vibes this way purdy-please! I talked to my realtor last night, and apparently Thursday's showing went quite well. The buyers have narrowed down their choices to three houses, with ours being among them. Please send some mucho big gigantic house selling vibes please! I would be so incredibly excited to sell this house soooon!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 PM

ACK! elsanne! What a shitty day for sho! I'm glad that Paypal is siding with you and crediting your account, but still, sucks you have no moola. So sorry ot hear of it! Hope you and the girlies recover from the sniffs. When does su madre arrive in Mexico?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi all-
I'm working on a cold, wet Saturday night. Would much rather be home snuggling with my sweetie, but alas, I am here. So, I figured checking in with my gals online might make me feel better.

Renae, I miss your posts, too! Come back to us!!! But, I get the busy thing.

Lisa-you have a great place there and it does look awfully tidy. I hope it sells quickly.

Sherri-I told you on the YG, but what a gorgeous place. I wish all of you May mamas selling homes a quick sell. It's so interesting seeing the different cost of real estate across the country.

Elsanne-I took a look at your blog just now and love your belly dancing pics. You are definitely in your element, I can tell.

Heather-hope the computer gets fixed quickly. Good reminder to back up digital pics...we need to do that, too.

Dh and I had a date last night. My mom was visiting and she actually put G to bed two nights this week when I had to work, so we figured a Friday night movie would work. We went to see "The Departed" at our local one-screener and it was very good. Just nice to get out for a while. It was great to spend time with my mom. It's reassuring that G is fine with folks who he gets to spend time with. Now, to develop some sort of relationship with people here!

G went to bed for grandma fine last night, but started coughing and had a runny nose. So we laid low today and I wiped his nose a lot. He was actually in pretty good spirits even though he seems to have an on and off fever. We're treating it with some homeopathics, so I hope it will pass fairly quickly.

No hitting here, but he definitely doesn't want to help do some things he used to. Not sure of the best way to deal with that, we just take it as it comes.

Okay, I better do some more actual work, I guess. Talk to you all later.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

hi gals. sherri, check the blog now. New exciting updates. The recipient of the money had no idea what was going on.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:49 PM

I'm telling you Els, today has been the most serendipitous good day. So many clouds have cleared, the proverbial sun broke through and I've heard nothing but good solutions to bad problems today.

We saw a man propose to his girlfriend today. They were overjoyed and it was a beautiful reminder of hope and love. And we saw it just as I was coming out of a fancy shoe store where I found a gorgeous pair of shoes on sale for $25 (reg price was $120). HOW CAN THAT NOT MAKE ANY DAY GREAT??????
Old 10-14-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

The SHOES, Meg, the SHOES!!! That makes MY day, and I didn't even get the shoes!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:57 PM

sounds like a great day, and a day with shoes no less, Meg!

WHEW *wipes brow* Glad things look like they'll be resolving. Sux it happened in the first place, but itsounds like this guy is somewhat honest.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 AM

Old 10-15-2006, 12:42 AM

BTW, Sherri, the cd player is a huge hit with Mia. She's been spending a lot of time in there... "I want to chill out with a cd", she says. Quiet time in replacement of the nap was a huge success. She stayed in there for an hour. No sleeping, but that's okay. She seemed recharged. And I know I was.

Best wishes to all with all the selling of homes and impending moves. That stuff makes me : .
Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 AM

You gals make my day.

Elsanne, wow. I read all this in the space of minutes, and feel the whirlwind. Glad it turned out ok - let us know the final result.

Meg - shoes, proposals, oh my. Sassy and sweet.

Jacqueline - thinking of you, mama. I wish your new city was PDX so we could hang out and create community IRL...

Sherri - here's lots of house-selling vibes. How could they not want that beautiful dwelling? It really is amazing how different housing prices are depending on location. You would NOT want to know how much my falling-apart, no-foundation, fixer could fetch in PDX.

Speaking of, DH has been hard at work putting up a roof-thingy and arbor-thingy on our back deck. I am so proud of him. It looks great. I am starting to feel like our house is actually going to look cool someday. Those PDX mamas can attest to how it looks now.

We currently have a fruit-fly problem. It sucks. I am trying to clap-kill them right now as I post. Sucks.

So I am kind of having an epiphany. I've been in school to be a midwife, right? I like pregnant mamas and babies, right? Well, a lot of nurse-midwifery is well-woman care, basic gyne-stuff. I always thought I'd be the catching-babies type, not so much into the nuts-n-bolts vagina stuff. But, the last few lectures we've had on it have really interested me. I find that I'm interested in the personal aspect - like, how to talk with teenagers coming in for their first appointment, etc. I remember way back in the way back when I was 16 and coming in for my first birth control pills...that nurse practitioner really respected me and made me feel normal, KWIM? I want to be that kind of practitioner. Anyway, just thought I'd share. Maybe emmalola can relate.

DH is upstairs putting Lily to bed. We've started an official "routine" of reading 3-4 books and telling her she can do the rest in the past week or so. As in, she can read some more, lie down, whatever. Just has to stay in bed. Some nights are fine; some are whiny. But I think she's starting to get it. That we're not *punishing* her, but that it's just normal to go to sleep by yourself. Last night was great - she just said, "Good night, Mama and Papa" and went to sleep. Awesome. I hope it continues. Probably won't. These are the things that they don't tell you when you're pregnant...

I love you all - house-selling, new-house-living, gestating, new-babe-having, TTC-ing, internet-addicted mamas!

*mwah*

Sarah
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 AM

Them's be some sassy shoes, miss mamameg!

yay for your epiphany! I think you could have such a positive imact on so many, Sarah. And it sounds like the perfect profession for you, you can help mamas birth babies, and also take care of women and treat them as a whole. Exciting for you to have such a great future!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah, that sounds awesome and I know you'd be great at it. I can relate because at one point in my life I had similar dreams, I thought being an ob/gyn or midwife would be ideal. Go for it, mama! We need more practitioners like you out there.

Meg, cute shoes. Totally impractical. Incredibly cute. Try them on cobblestones! Actually, it's impressive what the women here wear on cobblestones. High heels n stuff.

Last night I kind of had a "moment": I was thinking about The Big Lebowski (one day I will get over it, I swear. I had just posted in my blog titling the entry with a line), and Sol was all over me, being tired and obnoxious. I begin to feel the rage rise within me, so wanting to be "off duty" and done with her who would not sleep in the car although we drove around 25 minutes. She began to hit me (which she very rarely does). I turned to her and began to say in a very uptight voice, "Then you need to Go To Sleep! Either play by yourself, or go to sleep!" And I realized, she really needed to sleep, and it wasn't her fault. So I picked up her, reaching down deep for my last tendrils of patience, and as I walked downstairs with her I remembered a fellow mama with 3, who said the best tool was a sense of humor, and I said aloud, "This aggression will not stand, man!"* And made myself laugh which was a complete 360 from the previous tone of voice I had just had, and it gave Sol pause. We went to the bed and she was out within minutes, with no TETA or other toddler drama.

*This is a line from the movie, if you don't know.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Okay! Let's see how far I can get on a friend's laptop while her DS is napping! I'm babysitting him so they could go to a play and I swear, I don't think I've seen much of my OWN family all weekend!
Yesterday I went to a friends house in CT to help her take care of her newborn TWIN boys! : Crazy, amazing stuff! They were like 6 pounds each so a good weight and totally healthy, but they looked SO TINY to me!! : It was so sweet. I brought them, food and changed diapers (teeeeeny tiny cloth! Aww!) and basically just held newborns all day!

She also has a 3yo DD who is still trying to adjust but GET THIS: At bedtime, I took her upstairs, and lay next to her while we read one story. Then I had to lie next to her for oh, 2 minutes, and then I left the room!
And she STAYED in her bed! And SLEPT!!

!!!

When I came back down I asked my friend, "PLEASE tell me that someday ROwan will do that!!!" And she was like "oh yeah, SOMEday, he will!" Her DD was rather similar to Rowan with the sleeping, so...yeah.

I'm so sorry I haven't kept up this month...I did read/skim a bit just now, and you all are in my thoughts with This whole weekend I was barely at the puter, and NEXT weekend....DH and I go to VEGAS, baby! : Saturday is our 5-year anniversary and we're doin it up right!
Rowan will be at his Gramma and Papa's on Friday, and we leave Friday night and return Monday morning. Short weekend but it will be SO MUCH FUN!

My back is hurting from using this weird laptop so I'ma gonna go...I will try to post more soon! I MISS YOU all very very muchly! Especially when I hear about some of you meeting/hanging out...I need more playdates, and I need to find a way out to Mexico! Heehee.

Firswt though, quick "OMG" Rowan moment. He swore in CONTEXT!! We were leaving to see a friend for tea and to pick something up for church, I think it was Thursday after nap. He didn't want to go, was whining, stalling, and finally, I got us to the door. He is whining about something...and then he drops his sippy cup. He looks down at it and exclaims, "OH SH*T!!!"

I couldn't show him how amused and proud I was (hey man! He used the words the right way! ) or the shock at my little baby swearing, so I just said something like "oops! oh no! Let's just pick up the cup and go to the car, blah blah..." Hahaha. Whooo boy.

I LOVE Tbe Big Lebowski. I need to see it again.

I've been having a LOT of moments as a parent where I am mostly proud of how I dealt with something, say, a public tantrum...but then, inside, I am BOILING over with stress. I'm not letting it out all over Rowan (or DH for that matter) but dude, keeping my cool outwardly can take its toll.

More on that later. It's getting dark in here and my back hurts.

Thanks for thinking about me. I am here! I could never stay awaqy for long... Love to you all.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM

Elsanne- I agree that humor is what keeps me from assaulting my child sometimes, plus it actually helps _him_ as well as me on occassion, to get out of whatever funk we're in together.

Sarah- it is so wonderful that you're liking more and more aspects of your field- hooray . Oh, and my new-mama friend called gushing about how wonderful it was to meet you and how great it was to feel supported by lots of mamas when she was feeling so isolated, so thanks. I hope your dh isn't doing that roof work in the rain we're having today! I love the rain. , but it's not so great for yardwork (I had to plant flowers in a hail storm when I worked grounds crew in college- that was cold and miserable).

Meg and Sarah- I am so jealous (oh, I mean happy, yah, happy!) about your sleep success. Hooray for independent toddlers.

Jacqueline- I'm glad you were able to get a date with your hubby, and that G does so well with his grandma.

Sherri- hopin that seller bites.

Heatherfeather- I keeping thinking about all those pictures you lost. How tragic! It's just not fair. If I could, I would wave my wand and make them all come back for you. Is that why it's taking so long to fix your computer? Because you're trying to save the data? I hope you can get back to computer-land soon.

Renae, seriously, are you OK? I'm starting to get worried about you!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Whew! We cross-posted, gal! Good to see you!

User Tag List