May 2004----> October 2006. Still at it. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we had a power surge at my office once which killed the fax machine and the power company paid for a new one. call and tell them they fried your stuff. they should have knocked on the door first to say they were cutting the power and do you need to turn anything off.

our daycare doesn't do timeouts. i think they just remove the kid from the situation and/or toy. they don't do trips to the office for discipline either because kids actually like that

i do timeouts at home. not very often but now they consist of sitting on a kitchen chair for a minute until he cools down. it seems like maybe the threat of a timeout works for eleanor if she gets the whole concept but hasn't had to have one that's a good thing! logic and selfcontrol don't really work for my live in the moment emotional reactor : maybe someday

oh yeah i remember the pink hat slow on the uptake here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 05:49 PM

Oh, another little story to share:

Last night Eleanor chose to sleep on the floor next to her big girl bed (I don't get it, but we don't fight it). At about 4:15 this morning I heard her crying in her room. I rushed in and could not find her - literally. I frantically turned on the light as she really began to scream. She crawled out from under her bed as soon as the light came on - sonehow she had rolled under her bed in the night, tried to get up, hit her head and then didn't know how to get out. Poor little flea. We explained to her that that is why we sleep on top of our beds.
#183 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 06:05 PM

ouchie. isaac spent a while sleeping on his floor. i would pick him up and tuck him in before i got in bed. eventually he just stayed in bed.
#184 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 06:43 PM

I haven't waved a potholder, I've just launched a largely pg body onto a chair to RIIIPPPP the smoke detector down and attempt to frantically remove the batteries. Does that count?

I would be pretty friggin' annoyed about the whole fried electronics thing. You definitely have my sympathy.

TOs... when we do a TO with a 2 yr old, it generally involves removing said person from the scene of the crime to go talk about our behavior elsewhere. I think both the removal and the talking are important. As T got older, the TOs got more TO-y (as I imagine they will with Z), in which part of the purpose of the TO is, "Dude, you and I both need a minute to sit still and calm down so we don't get snarky." : [These days, I often just sent T to his room, esp. if he's getting mouthy. Basically, he goes upstairs, reads a book or whatever, and I calm down. I wouldn't necessarily call it discipline; it's more about T and Mom anger/mouth mgmt.]

I ed about the rolling under the bed. But at the time, I'll bet she was scared. :

I am stressed out right now because my mil is arriving tomorrow morning (at 7 am). Until this morning, I had the understanding that she'd be arriving tomorrow evening. I hadn't planned on a whole day *alone* with her to start off the visit. And... as of last week, she's decided that she's not eating wheat. (Uh, okay. Could it have *waited* another week and a half?) She's kind of a hypochondriac, and the randomly eliminating things from her diet (and then reintroducing them at some later point) is one of her things. (Her absolute need for both a morning nap and an afternoon nap is another.) But wheat is definitely the most annoying "allergy" yet. (I suppose I should be nice, but she's self-absorbed and passive aggressive and generally annoying.) And dh's going out to CA *next* weekend to help his bro deal with his messed up life... sigh, I'm glad he's going, but that's another pot of worry there, too.

Goofy thing... "amazing" is Z's new word. Sounds very cute coming out of his mouth. (And he's been calling L "Ta Doula".)
#185 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 PM

Duuuuuuuuuude.

Renae- I totally agree that the power company should be libel for your damaged equipment. I would write them a letter and cc it to a lawyer. Check among your connections for someone who knows someone whose spouse is a lawyer and will let you use their name. (We used to have pre-paid legal through my work. We don't anymore, but I have found that all I need to do is cc a letter to my OLD lawyer, and people never check but usually do what I've asked- I got out of a VERY unfair parking ticket this way.) I hope you have a great time on your trip and can put all that yuckiness behind you and just have fun while you're gone.

Time-outs: we don't do them yet because I honestly think L is not sophisticated enough to understand them yet. (He's a bit behind developmentally from many of the May kiddos, so yours may be ready). We still use redirection a lot. L's main offense is throwing things, and generally we just make him go pick the thing up and put it where it belongs, or mop up the liquid, etc. Occassionally I have physically "helped" him do this task when he refuses. That's probably not an AP approved tactic, but it works for me.

Emmalola- I have no wisdom for you about the hanging out on the toilet. We are not ready for potty-learning yet. Hooray for the relative lack of accidents, though!

Sleeping arrangements- I hope L doesn't decide to get off his bed quietly some night/morning. He would rip the tube off his cheek and it would come out. The only good thing is I am sure this would hurt enough that he would cry and we would know to come in to help him. Let's just hope it doesn't ever happen!

Early this morning L was phlegmy from a cold so he through up his night-time feed of formula (so Claudia, I guess he isn't over the cold after all- it must be going down his throat like it's going down mine. Hopefully your kids will stay well!). After we turned off his pump so to prevent further puking, and he was all cleaned up and we were done nursing, he said "all-done tube?" And I said, yes L, no more vanilla milk today (that's what we call the formula). Then he said "tube out?" And it broke my heart to have to say, "tube stays in" as I gave him a hug.

I don't often share the little trials of living with the tube, but sometimes I love how that thing is helping my sweet child, and sometimes I hate it for what L and we have to go through. Sigh.

On the bright side, L being sick means I'm getting to play hookey from speech therapy, music class, etc. and I'm enjoying having nothing on the agenda today. I made some yummy stew and am feeling all cozy inside as it is cool and misty outside.
#186 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 PM

My computer is back....my computer is back!! I might need to take that title of miss postypants ...watch out! (and the bestest part is that my friend figured out a fix at the last minute that saved the old hard drive and pics and he backed them up for me!!)

We sort of do time outs here, but not the naughty spot variety. Similar to KK...it's more of you need a minute to get it together or cool off or similar. I think it totally depends on the kid and what motivates them and how much time/space they need to compose themselves. A lot of our need is just for physical separation when she's getting rough with E. More often than not these days I just hold her on the couch and practice deep breathing with her to calm down.

Kk--too cute about "ta doula"!!

emmalola---I remember much fascinatin with potty sitting when C first started. I think it was a good two weeks til she really caught on and then just a few accidents since then. Our biggest feat thus far is her using the potty on the airplane which is huge because she despises public potties!

Okay....you've been warned...I'll be inundating the yg with new pics before long!

....oh and renae....so sorry about the electricity and other related woes. hope lv is an awesome time and I totally agree with bringing the pretty shoes and having him carry you! You're so making me want to do a CT visit so I can come to your service on the 29th...that would rock!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#187 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 PM

yay for computer being back...

whoops... M just announced "mommy, i'm poopy, i'm poopy, i'm poopy..." better go deal with that...

~c
#188 of 315 Old 10-19-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, fiddlefriend...your post made me warm and empathetic and hearts out and open to you for dealing with that durn tube. Yay for skipping life for a day or two. Skipping busy life, that is.

Heather I am sooo oglad your puter is back and ESPECIALLY glad you could save the many mountains of pics and other things! Mega *phew*, no?
I could relate to holding daughter and deep breathing...today was one of those days for me. I realize when she is totally obnoxious that what she really needs is to feel close and important to me. That is hard when all I want to do is throw her out the window. But we do it, I hold her lots. I get sick of constantly supplying "teta". What do you do about that? Just give it to her when she asks, or do you have limits? What has been your experience? p.s. I look forward to the yg inundation of pics!

kk---oooh annoying mil. Maybe a day for the children's museum tomorrow? Egads.

renae, much agreed about holding electric company liable. And tie a good one on in LV, have way too much fun! Let all the day to day scheit slide, if you can. Everything's gonna be alright, per Mr. B. Marley.

Lisa---giggling about the girl under the bed. I get panicky when I cannot find Sol, it's the worst feeling in the world.

We don't do timeouts here yet, it hasn't seemed to be really necessary. However, just in the last few days I have experienced myself echoing my mother's words and feelings and actions in my dealings with Sol; it is interesting and a little scary to see just how deeply we are programmed, how unconscious our actions can be. My parenting "goal" or "practice" these days has been to keep my eye on the prize: a warm, loving, open relationship with her instead of an adversarial one. I am not in competition with my children!!! (this is the subconscious bad mama thing mixed in with all the good mama things my mama did) To that end, I attempt to remember that as I wallow in the mire of difficult toddler emotional upheavals. Keep my eye on the prize.
#189 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
My parenting "goal" or "practice" these days has been to keep my eye on the prize: a warm, loving, open relationship with her instead of an adversarial one. I am not in competition with my children!!!
Hmmmm...this is an interesting comment. Can you describe more about what you mean by being in competition with your children. It resonates with me in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

And to update on sleep arrangements: Eleanor was asleep in her bed when we went to bed last night. This morning when we went in to wake her she was asleep on top of the ottoman/footstool of the rocking chair. What's up? I totally regret disassembling her crib....
#190 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 PM

Lisa, Lily went through this phase too. I say "phase" because it last about 2 weeks with her and now she's happily back in her bed, right beside ours.

It started when she was going through a particularly rough patch of falling to sleep, and in exasperation, DH asked her, "Do you want to go sleep on the couch?!" Of course, being a red-headed Taurus, Lily said, "Yes!" So they went downstairs and he made a little bed for her on the couch; she fell right to sleep. This went on for a few days, and she specifically requested it. One night it was the couch in the office, another in the living room, a couple times on her sleeping mat on the kitchen floor. She was happy falling asleep in those places, then she would wake about 2 or 3 and DH would bring her back upstairs

After that 2 weeks or so she stopped wanting to go downstairs, and she's been back in her own bed now for a while. Her bed is just right on the floor, so every now and then we wake up to find her sprawled half on it with her legs on the floor, or something. But overall she's in it the whole night.

I have more to respond to, but no time just now. Thinking of you all!
#191 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 08:23 PM

i was thinking lisa you could try the mattress on the floor. isaac's is on the floor too and for some reason i think maybe it is kind of comforting to be so close to the floor? like maybe e is not comfortable up on a bed after probably feeling safe and enclosed in a crib?

isaac's transition to the bed went like this. crib in his room, mattress on the floor (mostly for me to sleep on when i went in there when i was trying to get him out of our bed). one night i put him in the crib and he stood up and pointed at the mattress. i tucked him in. he never slept in the crib again. for maybe a month or 2 he never even got out of the bed. then he figured out he could...and that he could play in his room, etc. after he was tucked in. that started the phase of finding him sleeping on a pile of books by the nightlight. i'd put him back in his bed after i went upstairs to get in bed. that lasted maybe a month or 2. now he just stays in his bed all night. i have wondered at what point to buy him a bed frame. he just fell off the mattress during nap on monday and cried. i don't think he's ready yet (?)

incidentally i left the crib in his room for 3 months or so before taking it down and storing it in a friend's (dry) basement. he just brought it back over and it is in pieces in our basement right now. isaac goes MY BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i said 'well it will be new baby's bed.' he had a pensive look. he consistently says baby sister btw (*tries not to get too hopeful*) i have the cutest crib bumper and i can't wait to use it again. how corny is that? awwww baby stuff! i'm going to put the crib in our 3rd bedroom which has my childhood bedroom furniture...a big double bed. i think i'll just sleep in there with the new babe so doug can actually get some sleep. it is going to be pretty durn crowded in that room

oh mah gawd ladies. i had such a nauseous migraine last night and this morning that i could only eat soup for dinner and i had to call doug to come back home this morning to take isaac to school. i couldn't even drive. i made it to work at 3 today and i still feel like poo. : ewwwwwww i did relish the blissful dead quiet house sleeping that i got from 9 until 1:30. totally necessary. and my mom is coming tonight. so glad.

beth i think about you and L and how someday the tube will be a distant memory. it has to be hard to tell him tube stays in. i'm glad you got a cosy day at home.

we are headed to the PUNKIN PATCH on sunday. isaac screams that every time he sees a punkin so it should be mighty exciting for him
#192 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 09:57 PM

omig*d, M has been a nightmare today... :

he pulled a tray of candles and a little glass bell off the bookshelf and the whole thing fell to the ground and the little bell smashed into a million bits. he knows he did something wrong and he got upset and ran to the other room where i was sitting and said i dropped something, mama, i dropped something. and i said yes, you dropped something and it broke and now daddy has to clean it up and you have to stay in this room and wait until daddy cleans up the toy room where it broke.

he's been running around like a crazy child being really loud and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's too much. i'm trying to think like elsanne and be like what does he really need but it's too much to do that right now as i'm trying to figure out what S needs most of the time. bill is very, very frustrated with M and resorts to reacting like he would react to a dumba** adult and i find it really disturbing even though i know he wouldn't actually do anything. well, that's not true, considering he squeezed M's arm really hard the other day when he did something and then bill got freaked when he heard a cracking sound (which was most likely M's cracking joints). anyway, it freaks me out and we can't have reasonable conversations about it because our levels of understanding about guidance/discipline are so far apart we can't effectively communicate about it. i keep trying and will keep trying but it's very frustrating.

M is obsessed with washing his hands ever since my dad made him a stepstool that is just the right height for the bathroom sink. so we started keeping the bathroom door closed, but he figured out how to open the door. he also figured out how to unlock the front door lock, so now we have to buy one of those high-up deadbolt type locks. he's also obsessed with the garage whenever anyone goes in there, so bill has resorted to entering the garage through the actual large garage door instead of through the door inside the house. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggggh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

my level of frustration is just way too high right now for any effective conversation or even to relate exactly what is frustrating me so i will sign off for now.

and no, i haven't written S's birth story yet. finding the time to do that has been hard. i feel like he's getting kind of shorted: no birth story, not a lot of photographs of him, not a lot of new stuff, not even a lot of gifts from the family (mostly bill's family and sisters -- they said it's because they weren't sure if we needed anything since we have all our boy stuff from M)

okay, gotta go deal with the crazy boy...

~claudia
#193 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah's DDDDC!!! Lebowski Moment!!!

About being in competition with your kids....without ruminating over tea really digging into my psyche, I am pretty sure my mother was always in competition with me, as much as she loved me and wanted the best for me. A very deep-level thing. I don't know competing over what, or whom, but I just know it was there. I try to remember that not only are we (sol n I, n amara too when she gets older) on the same team but if I am not on her side, who is? Instead of making her wrong I am seeking to understand and be understood. Even, or especially, in moments in public when the norm or expected is to admonish one's children's disruptive behavior.
#194 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Aw Claudia, just saw your post. Holy mackerel mama, have I been there and can so relate to what you are going through!! You WILL MAKE IT!!! When you mentioned "level of frustration" it really rang a bell with me because I remember feeling that my stress-meter for the first two months was pretty much always high, and I could feel it getting pegged, high as can be, and it made me realize just how high it is, all day, every day, just everyday life. I do feel like it has gone down to a manageable level. And even, some days, Claudia, I can tell you that I am actually THRIVING as a mother of two, not just surviving. I bet you will too.
#195 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 PM

OK, that sucks. It was supposed to be for YOU, Els. FROM me. Annoying.
#196 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 PM

Claudia, big hugs from me. I'm sorry it's so hard.

Fiddle, ditto. I can only sympathize, not empathize, but I do understand that it is hard. Really, really hard. Not something any mama should have to do, and awesome that you are such a good mama.

jstar - Ugh about the headache and sickies. Hope it passes soon.

Sigh. DH leaves early Sunday morning for 5 days in Vegas. Hee, he will be there when you are, Renae, right? How funny. But he's going for a conference, and I will be home on Lily duty 24-5 with lots of homework and a take-home midterm. Yay.

S.
#197 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Sarah. sounds like you need a lebowski moment yourself anyway. You okay girl? You sound kinda in a funk.

And it made me laugh really hard that you got the Lebowski back atcha!!! That's kind of funny!!!
#198 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Funkity funk funk. Yep, I'm on a funk. Lots of crap going down in my life right now. Crappity crap crap. Seems like it's in the water recently, eh ladies?
#199 of 315 Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 PM

Hee hee. Have you seen this site? It's a random TBL quote generator! OMFG!

http://www.dymphna.net/randomquotage/lebowski.html

eta: My very first DDDDC! I'm so honored and proud! :
#200 of 315 Old 10-21-2006, 01:22 AM

Sarah- if you don't mind a probably-sniffly toddler, I could come over and entertain Lily (or take her out of the house) while you work this next week on: Monday 8:30-11:30 am, Wednesday 8:30-11:30 am, and/or Thursday 4-7 pm. Let me know.

Claudia- blech! M is becoming super exploratory/independent just at a time when you have a new dependent little one that needs you to stay put. How are you supposed to deal with that??? I don't know, and I'm sorry you're having to go through it.

Heather!!!!! Hooray!!!!! I was really hoping that would happen!!!!!!!!!

Jstar- sorry about the migraine. s We have a similar plan for post-baby, except that I get the master bedroom with the crib, and Tom only gets a mattress on L's floor. : We've agreed though that everyone will get much more sleep with this arrangement, and in the first few months, that is so key.

Thanks for the tube sympathy, everyone. It's true that someday it will be gone. I have to remember that.

Elsanne- I know exactly what you mean about the competition thing! (or at least I think I do). Monday was a really frustrating day for me because L wouldn't nap, and I couldn't MAKE him nap, but _I_ needed a nap, and I put a baby gate on his bedroom door while I lay down for 30 minutes, during which time he threw all of his stuffed animals into the hall, laughed his head off, and trashed his room. Then he came out and threw my mug of water across the room. I whomped his butt down on the floor (in a very non- GD way) and said NO! and he laughed to see me acting so out of the ordinary, and that's when I knew I was trying to fight my child and win, and that I resented him and wanted him to SUFFER, and that we were not in a healthy pattern. We got out of the house, I then I talked on the phone with another mama, and ever since then I've been thinking about the importance of being on the same team, of realizing that we both have needs, that they may not be the same, but that I have to be the parent and accept what I can influence and what I can't, and make decisions from there.
#201 of 315 Old 10-21-2006, 02:24 AM

i've had a lot of verrrry trying overly high frustration-meter behavior from (with) isaac lately. i usually have quite a bit of patience for his antics and i can't tell if he is being more trying or if i just don't have the resources to deal with it right now. i think honestly some of it is really pushy boundaries-testing obnoxious behavior that i just plain don't like. i think it is a 2 thing. screaming for 20 minutes because you can't have a marshmallow at 7am? REALLY annoying. and dh isn't always dealing with it in ways i like either. his patience is shorter than mine. so i get that too. i can imagine claudia what it like to feel so stretched. and i hope this phase passes soon for you! (and i'm skeeeeered i tell ya!! skeered)

i finally feel normal at 10:30pm. ugh.

oop lil dude is crying for 'my mama'
#202 of 315 Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

That TBL quote generator is great...better than me, even!!! Except that I say them in context with my life...
SarahBee I sure hope the crappity crap crap () going on in your life goes back under whatever rock it came out from.

Where'd ya get that ddddc, miss sarah be? I am really psyched to have the Lebowski where it belongs, under my name!
#203 of 315 Old 10-21-2006, 12:01 PM

Oh, I'm reading along and nodding my head with much of what's being said. Especially the "being on the same team" thing, which I hadn't really put it in those words, but the sentiments are just what I needed. Yesterday G was throwing *everything* around and when I would look at him and hold him firmly and say "NO!" he would just laugh and giggle. Very frustrating. I knew we needed a change of pace, but I didn't feel I had the ability to change it at that time. I don't like how I dealt with it. But, each day is a new one, so I can always try again! You all have prompted me to think this through in a new way, though, so thanks. It's quite timely!

DH and I have also noticed that in moments of frustration/anger/annoyance, we tend to say things that must come from our parents, cause we don't really mean them. So, we're going to work on that. Ahhh. Parenting...who says it's all about the growth of the child? (None of you, I know )

Lots of hugs out to all you struggling with all of this and TWO little ones. You're awesome.

We might go to a pumpkin patch today, if I can find where one is. We're going to a nearby town today to look at a house (and I think there's a pumpkin patch near there). I feel it is totally too early to seriously get too attached to any house since our lease is up at the end of May, but it's so adorable and the realtor who we've been talking to knows that we're not quite ready and is still williing to show us, so there ya go. I like looking at houses anyway, so that part will be fun.

Okay, have much more to say, but must go eat breakfast.
#204 of 315 Old 10-21-2006, 03:29 PM

I think it's a Lebowski moment that the DDDDC went to the wrong person.

Wow, migraines are the *worst*, and that migraine sounded pretty darned bad. I'm glad you were able to get some rest, Jess.

TC, I sympathize. The only thing I can suggest is to *get him outside*. It clears the brain, and somehow it's easier to dissipate energy there. When Z was a baby, T and I would often just get out and walk around the block (some days, it would be 4-5 times). Or go around the block on the trike (he could ride the whole way--he was 3, remember--so I don't suggest this if M has to be pushed). Sidewalk chalk and a paintbrush and a *small* amount of water are great. Playing with the falling leaves. Just *anything* where he's expending energy and the stuff he's dinking around with doesn't make a big mess. And I'm sorry about the diffs with Bill. That sounds really frustrating.

You don't have to get deadbolts. If you have knobs, you can get these plastic doorknob cover thingies that a 2 yr old is just not strong/agile enough to manipulate (but neither is my mother!). Even lever-type door handles can be child-proofed. Go somewhere like Home Depot--they have a lot of childproofing supplies.

What S gets is more experienced parents and a sibling. I think it's a pretty good trade-off--don't feel guilty. (I love to see Z and L wearing/playing with T's old things...)

I think Lily should do Sarah's midterm. I think's about ready for something like that, no? And here's a for you. Sorry about the funk. Just get through this week (which sounds pretty darned FULL.)

Mmm. Scary thing about TBL generator is that for each and every quote, I could totally visualize the scene it came from. Maybe I *don't* need to rent it again.

Okay, I hope none of you non-GD *me* for saying this, but one of the things that helps me deal with the crazy boundary-testing annoying behavior is just to remind myself that it's developmentally important and normal and that the best response I can have is to be consistent (and to establish appropriate boundaries). (Not that I can always do this.) I guess what I'm saying is that if I tell myself that he's doing it because his little brain is growing and he's on his way to becoming a more independent, mature person, I don't take it as personally as if I think he's just trying to make me go crazy....

I told mil (nicely) that I really don't like quinoa and would prefer to avoid it on this trip (but that she could eat as much of it as she wanted). I know it sounds silly, but it's good that I was able to say it. (Really, I'm not too fond of the stuff.) Off to have another piece of TOAST.

I'm the Dude, man!
#205 of 315 Old 10-22-2006, 06:05 PM

It IS amazing how having kids (and mothers-in-law) gives us such an opportunity for growth. Those darn family members can get to us like no-one else, because they matter more to us.

I worked my buns off yesterday at work. I am supposed to be cleaning the bathroom right now since I just got a 2.5 hour nap, but I don't feeeeeeeeeel like it. My throat is still sore. : Poor me. So I'm gonna surf the net and read my new copy of "Operating Instructions" which a mama friend just sent me, while dh and ds get their naps.
#206 of 315 Old 10-23-2006, 01:11 PM

I think mil had a growth experience because I *of course* cooked gluten free for her while she was here (including salmon cakes Sat. night, her favorite). She normally does *not* work around the foods I have to avoid (dairy and eggs... I can't count the number of times she has made some special dish, esp. desserts, which had an incidental amount of eggs or milk that she *could* have left out so I/the child in question could eat it but she didn't... long story, but I think part of it is that she thinks I need to lose weight, and I *don't* need to lose weight), so I think it was a real revelation for her to be on the receiving end but not get shafted. All in all, it wasn't a bad trip, so I think the Big Talk dh had with her last summer really stuck (unlike all the previous Big Talks).

We also tried a little banana on L while mil was here. She definitely wasn't like Z in her reaction to it (which was a big relief), but she also definitely doesn't seem quite interested in eating (which is not surprising... she's bf'ed and not quite 6 mos... I think another month or so will help). Mil is much crunchier than average about food, but I forget that out in the Real World, there is such expectation that Babies Eat. I think mil kind of expected us to just shovel the banana in, but hey, I'm not gonna try to put food in a mouth that's not open, y'know? Okay, /rant.

Z is gradually using the potty more and more (though not a ton). I just appreciate every dipe we can avoid, though really, the potty is probably an equivalent amount of effort. He's *way* ahead of where T was at around this age.

I was kind of a not so nice mama this a.m.... : I think T tends a little bit towards SID (he tends to be sensitive to noises, tastes, textures, other "intense" stimulation). He has a *favorite* pair of pants right now that I Want To Wash (dammit). He'd wear them till they fell apart, if he could. So I took those pants, and I strongly encouraged (well, bribed/coerced) him to wear a pair of jeans I just patched. He was really pissed about the patches, and dh said he rode his bike so slowly to school that he was late. I think I'll be taking some pants with me when I pick him up so he can change right then and there.
#207 of 315 Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

oh kk. I am so hearing you about the bad mama times! I can't believe how intense it is. I am in the throes of it as we speak aaaaaghhaaa!

going crazy here. feelin poorly and more paypal woes which I don't feel like elaborating on. more later.
#208 of 315 Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM

els & kk: &

happy moment of yesterday: S weighs 10lb5oz!!! i looked at the growth charts and he's on the same curve as what he was born at. go go baby good-eater! i'm sure many of you can understand what a relief it is to know my instincts have been right on about him and that he truly is gaining weight well. now if he will just keep growing at a similar pace...

question for you all: are your may babes really into making noise and yelling and talking loudly? M is fascinated with all of this and i find it way overstimulating and on the verge of giving me a headache much of the time. i haven't found an effective way to handle this so i keep repeating things like "that's too loud. please use your quiet voice like this." or "you can use your hammer toy in the toy room or you have to put it away" or "i think guitar needs a break right now. where is your puzzle?" these only work less than part of the time. the other majority of the time they invite screaming and tantruming and general frustration in all of us. comments? ideas? what works for you?

time to go for a walk...

~claudia
#209 of 315 Old 10-23-2006, 06:08 PM

Day 2 of DH being gone. I have friends coming over tonight to make dinner and play with Lily while I shower. Heh.

Claudia, I am glad to hear about S.'s stats. I know it is music to your ears.

KK, sounds like you took the higher ground to good effect.

Els - a hug from me. I can't *really* imagine exactly what you must be going through day to day, but know that I constantly send vibes of strength and patience your way. You are doing an awesome job.

Jacqueline, thinking of you, too.

Fiddle - thanks for the offer. I'm in class all those times except Thursday, and that's dinner time, so don't worry about me. That is very sweet of you to offer, though. I do want to hang out sometime soon, though.

Fuuuunk. I just can't shake it. Sigh.
#210 of 315 Old 10-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Yes, on the too loud child-voice. It really grates that E has picked up this concept. She likes to yell every other word though so it's, "I don't LIKE that." Very entertaining, the first time. She also does a shreak that will hurt a dog's ears. :

Yeah, little S-boy - grow!

oooh, I just realized that you are all a page ahead of me in posts. Must read before I say more.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page