Mothering Forum banner

What TV shows....

590 views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  nuwavemomma 
#1 ·
do you let your toddler watch?

I love Zoboomafoo but we don't have PBS Kids on this cable station (boo hiss Comcast) so I can't record it for DS anymore.

I also have taken a recent liking to It's A Big Big World...it really reminds me of all the muppets shows I used to love when I was little and DS loves all the songs.

I like Signing Times, but that's another PBS Kids show (boo hiss Comcast)

I limit DS's TV time but since we've moved I've noticed that there really aren't any shows that I like since most of the programming he watched was on PBS Kids (boo hiss Comcast).

I'm just looking for one or two more shows to record (I'm getting my DVR this week...I love it!) so I have some shows to throw on when I need to do things like cook or clean or take a nap (DH is deployed so I get NO help...TV has allowed me to shower when otherwise he'd be screaming at the edge of the tub or screaming at my feet in the shower).

#2 ·
I've heard good things about zoboomafoo - I've gotta check it out. Right now dd watches Sesame St or Dora. She had never seen Dora until we visited my parents who have cable. Now she's hooked. Lots of people don't like it but I actually don't mind watching it, lol.

#3 ·
Curious George
Clifford the Big Red Dog
Dragontales (though she's usually not watching it and it's only background noise)
It's a Big Big World
Sesame Street

We don't have cable and I only let her watch PBS in the morning when I'm tired (she's a morning person, always up at 7, I'm a night person and if I had my way, I'd sleep until 10 everyday!)

#10 ·
another big backyardigans fan here. we can't even say the word unless we're prepared to put one on. we also got a bear in the blue house dvd recently and he liked that. he likes songs and generally claps when one is finished.

there's 5 rue sesame here but it's so busy. and elmo is cute and all but in french with the high voice -- not so much.

#11 ·
On PBS tapes (around 1-2hrs wk...mostly to let me sleep):
Sesame St (we've taped six shows...waiting for the Old School release)
Caillou (MIL bought DD two DVDs...I despise this, DD loves it)

On PBS sometimes (when DH is home w/DD during the summer):
Mr Rogers

Others:
Brady Bunch (on DVD, seasons 1 & 2)
The Amazing Race

#12 ·
DD loves Sesame Street and Signing Times (on DVD and video...not the tv show since we're never home when that is on).

I'm thinking about letting her watch Between the Lions since I've heard really good things about it and it's focused on reading and education.

The TV is on a lot in the evenings...mostly DIY home repair shows and things like MythBusters. Dh and I watch and dd is in the room, but she's usually not that interested in the tv (though she's a big fan of any ISP commercials that happen to come on, especially PeoplePC...yup...a geek in training!)

#13 ·
We do Sesame Street and Caillou for ds. He's really taken to them. Once and a while I try Barney, but only as a sentimental thing b/c the youngest of the 2 boys I nannied for was HOOKED on Barney and knew what time Barney was on even before he could tell time!

#14 ·
We watch dora and Hi-5 (which is a singing/skit performance group on our knowledge network) I don't mind him watching big comfy couch if it happens to be on. I have a couple of baby einstein videos that are emergency mama needs 20 mins kinda thing.

#16 ·
DS is almost 2 (bday in November). The shows I'll put on for him are:

Mister Rogers (Taped episodes since he's on too early in the morning here) -my all-time favorite. I always smile when I'm watching it, and appreciate so much all the good stuff he exposes kids to.
Elmo's World. I tried the rest of Sesame Street today since it was on, and maybe he's starting to be the age to handle/appreciate it... It's all a little too quick and frantic in parts I think.
Caillou. I like the slow place and real-world plotlines. I don't like his voice!
Thomas and Friends. He doesn't get the plot I"m sure, but just watching trains keeps him occupied sometimes. Same goes for Clifford and Bob the Builder.
He watches some of Between the Lions if it comes on before I'm done with my shower (heh..) and loves seeing letters and words, and hearing the songs. But the scenes and stories are too old for him.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVanessa View Post
We watch dora and Hi-5 (which is a singing/skit performance group on our knowledge network) .
You must be in BC. When we were visiting my folks in Victoria we were introduced to Dora.. and of course Hi-5 came on right afterwards. Djuna really liked Hi-5 but man was I freaked out by it! It was like New Kids On The Block geared towards the 2-5 crowd!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
You must be in BC. When we were visiting my folks in Victoria we were introduced to Dora.. and of course Hi-5 came on right afterwards. Djuna really liked Hi-5 but man was I freaked out by it! It was like New Kids On The Block geared towards the 2-5 crowd!
Yup I am in BC. My ds just loves them.....he dances along and laughes a great big belly laugh at the puppets. I just like the fact its actually people not cartoons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.