cold prevention for toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
jkg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that colds are an inevitable part of life, but I'd like to do some prevention this time of year if possible. DS is 20 months, eats a balanced diet, and gets adequate sleep. What do you do for prevention?
#2 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, hand washing of course. I do use hand sanitizers (alcohol based) when we get in the car from shopping or whatever. I don't like them ideally but I'd rather have that than two sick kids. I wash my own hands like crazy.

Also, I do think that Xlear (xylitol) based nasal wash used once a day (or twice, three times if around a lot of other kiddos that day) can keep kids healthy.

I hate to mention it but just being around large groups of kiddos is asking for trouble at the toddler age. I still do all that stuff with my two but sometimes we do pay for it.

Keeping immunity up with making sure the child has adequate zinc. I also use colostrum for immune system building and fish oils can help with viral resistance (the vitamin A actually I think is what does it) and are good for the brain anyway.

Then I also remind myself that the immune system needs exercise too--and that is what those viruses are for! In our case, though, colds inevitably turn into ear infections for one of my guys so we avoid them as much as possible.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 12:53 AM

i give sambucol brand elderberry syrup, and echinacea syrup 2 weeks on and then off..rotate..

i keep herbs for kids brand tinctures around...at the first sign of a sniffle, i start pounding the herbs. my kids have almost never kept a cold more than 24 hours doing this.

also keep hylands cold plus C tablets around..they are good too.
#4 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 04:34 AM

DH and I had nasty colds last month. I was worried about ds getting it so I gave him childrens Airborne once a day until we were over it. It seemed to work, he didnt get sick.
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 PM

we do vitamin c
#6 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 PM

#1: Wash their hands alot! Before they eat at playgroup or wherever, as soon as you get back from being out anywhere, I find especially helpful.

"With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln,

If I only had a brain."duh.gif

#7 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Definitely lots of hand washing of course. I also use echinacea and vitamin c when we're exposed to a lot of germs. But do keep in mind that on one hand, although not at all fun, colds and getting sick here and there does help children build their immature immune systems. They do need to be able to fight some viruses. Oh, and if a cold does strike, use a cool mist humidifier and saline nasal drops.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page