Mothering Forum banner

June '05ers... :)

6K views 256 replies 22 participants last post by  bamamom 
#1 ·
Still cutting eye teeth. At least one of the top ones has cut partially through... there's a dot there.
Can't get in there to check on the others, but sleep SUCKS right now so I know they're working on it. Still snotty... probably leftover cold, ear infection clearing and teething all combined. Not fun. She wakes at night all grumpy and congested. What do you all use for congestion?? Medicine wise.

She is being SOOO silly today. Just goofy silly. Walking around stomping and doing this big exaggerated clapping and spinning. Cracking us up. She loves to point out (i.e. poke) your eyes, nose and ears. She also likes "hay-yer", you know, the stuff on your head? She loves to "cuh-ker" with markers and crayons like her brothers. She also likes to sit at the table and eat with them and play with clay... she has really been trying to fit in with them lately. If they have both have a bowl of something, she runs to find a bowl and sits down with them. Too cute. Okay... better run before i ramble on for too long here.

See less See more
#102 ·
emmy- that is amazing! someone once told me of an oprah show where she showed herself being "put together" for the show- sounds like about the same transformation.

kathleen- i'm not sure where i came up with stephen- is it maybe the name of amy from florida's ds? you both stopped writing around the same time so maybe?

fey- i agree- beautiful pictures! she looks so mature in some and then so goofy in others!

we went to the childrens museam yesterday- they were having a free day with a big halloween party. fun, but a little much for this family's speed. i think though that i will ask my mom for a years pass for christmas. they offer music and art classes for real cheap if you are a member.

how 'bout that time change? anyone else up an hour early this morning?

mcs

#103 ·
I've seen that video..

I am amazed at how bad her skin is before they start.
I mean, really truly, my skin is 100X better than hers..I wonder what they could do to the rest of us with a little computer work????(and I dont say that as being snotty about my skiin...I 'm just saying....they have us duped to think that supermodels are perfect and gorgeous all the time..and she was just a girl off the street like the rest of us!!)

#104 ·
That video .... wow. The Photoshop part is what freaked me out most.

As I've mentioned, I'm an "America's Next Top Model" fan and at one episode this season they had to turn up without makeup -- wow! A little makeup does wonders. I think I need a makeover
:

The time change messed me up -- we went to a Halloween party (with lots of other MDC-ers!) on Saturday night and got home by 9:00 but still Danny would NOT sleep at all. It was a looong night, made longer by that darn time change!
:

#105 ·
ds is still not adjusted. he's napping right now, has been since about noon and he generally wouldn't go until 1. maybe this means he'll go to bed early tonight??? he didn't last night though

#106 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anabellee View Post
if i find one more box elder beetle in my bathroom i'm going to scream...
My mom's family calls them "democrats." Not sure why. I think they've always called them that, at least that's the best story I can get from them.

#107 ·
uh-oh....did I scare everyone away with that comment?

confession: who has already ate some of the trick-or-treat candy that they are suppose to hand out tomorrow? I bought kinds that I don't like so I'm safe.

#110 ·
Quote:
OMG Anne..for a minute there I t hought you were eating the BEETLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope, killing the beetles eating the candy

ok, actually, screaming and running terrified away from the beetles...i'm a wuss

#111 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
OMG Anne..for a minute there I t hought you were eating the BEETLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
:

So I went off and read the "what the kids are sleeping with thread," giggling the whole time. Then I came back and you're even funnier!

Why go anywhere else?

#112 ·
That's a funny thread, Anne. Neither of my boys sleep with anything -- I've often wished that they'd get a "lovey" but nothing takes the place of dear old Ma or Pa!

I devoured a bag of Butterfingers weeks ago -- don't know who I was fooling with that. Since then I've only bought stuff I don't really care for.

#114 ·
halloween candy was onsale at hy-vee
:

we carved ds' pumpkin tonight. well, ok, i carved it. he ate the goop inside

#116 ·
Message from the beyond....

I haven't been on in months! I have been wondering how you guys were.

Rhiannon is running around like crazy, she has about 6 teeth, cutting some molars now
: I have no recent pics, but maybe soon!

I have been making it through my first semester of grad school [creative writing]. I have been really devoting myself [when i can] to my writing and it feels great.

Question: Rhiannon understands many words [kitchen, bath, bathroom, drink, diaper, etc] and reacts correctly to them [goes upstairs when i ask if she needs a didey change]. But she doesn't really say much. She says mama but i think she thinks that is her name! She can say "toe". And i have heard her say daddy. But she really relies on non verbal cues alot. normal? i guess she will talk when she needs to?

#117 ·
Hi Sara! It seems there is a huge range of normal for talking at this point. From what I understand, what's important at this point is that they understand words you say, which you mentioned Rhiannon doing. Glad to hear school is going okay.

I've been eating the trick-or-treater's candy too.
I bought a bag of kinds I didn't like.... and held off eating them for a day. Then when they were gone I didn't try kidding myself and went ahead and got the good stuff. And it's mostly gone too so I guess I'm going to have to buy another bag... assuming I don't go into shock from all the sugar first.
:

We carved pumpkins last night, funfun.

at beetles/democrats. Democrats?!

Thanks for the funny cat link... Elaina and I loved it! I'd seen some of em around before but still, funnyfunny.

And thx for the compliments on my pics

#119 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinsaratea View Post
Question: Rhiannon understands many words [kitchen, bath, bathroom, drink, diaper, etc] and reacts correctly to them [goes upstairs when i ask if she needs a didey change]. But she doesn't really say much. She says mama but i think she thinks that is her name! She can say "toe". And i have heard her say daddy. But she really relies on non verbal cues alot. normal? i guess she will talk when she needs to?

Well, obviously I am in a special situation with DS, but I agree with Fey in that comprehension would be more of a worry than speech reproduction. I really have only studied this in connection with signing (and by that I mean in my interpreter training, not the signing people do with their hearing kids) and that is definitely the order things happen in; receptive comprehension can be way ahead of expressive communication. I just always assumed it was the same for spoken languages.
Guess I really should look into that!

It certainly is true for DS. In fact he proved it this morning with his stuffed buffalo. We were sitting across the living room from his toys and I said, "I see a tatonka" and signed "buffalo" at the same time I said "tatonka" -- he laughed and scooted across the room straight to it and picked it up and roared. (He does this "raaaarrr" monster-kind of noise.) We've shown him that sign a few times, but only really worked on it last night in a big "tatonka attacks" play session. And there it was, still in his brain this morning. He can't make a Y-handshape yet and he's not even trying, but it was certainly clear he remembered.

Anyway, I think that as long as it is obvious that she understands you, it's not a big worry that she isn't speaking much. It's kind of like the scooting/crawling/walking thing. A very wide range of "normal" -- oops! I mean "typical" behavior.

#121 ·
Bama and Emmy, those are so funny. It reminded me of how dh and I (pre-kid) spent some time (not entirely sober) dressing our own cats in little tiny Mexican sombreros

My kids have already rec'd candy from the YMCA and the supermarket today -- I've pretty much thrown my hands up and decided that they'll just be eating crap all day. And Danny isn't taking a nap either ....

#122 ·
Speaking of un-sober cat memories, my old roommate and I got into the wine pretty good one night and decided (at 4 am) to take the cats for a walk, which we'd never done before even sober. We ended up trying for an hour to get the leashes on, gave up and went to bed.

So I was wrong about Hallowe'en being on the 27th. It's actually today. Happy Hallowe'en everybody!

#123 ·
another "lets dress up the cats while drunk" couple over here

....someone stop me, i've eaten an ENTIRE bag of reesee cups.
:

sara-i'm with bama, our evaluator said that 3-6words is average, the important part is that she knows the meanings of sooo many otheres. ds pretty much understands everything we ask him but he can only verbalize 2 words. he can sign several more though. we're pretty sure he can say more things it's just that we can't understand them

#125 ·
I'm a little Scrooge-like re: Halloween, but dh loves it (thank goodness!) so he is downstairs merrily handing out treats while I sulk upstairs with smy beer and my internet. Sometimes I feel like such a malcontent!

I did take the kids out, though, and that was fun.

Great pics, Mcs! I forget how suburban Staten Island is. Is that bike contraption safer than the usual one you see on the backs of bikes? Dh bought himself a bike this summer and rode it exactly twice -- I'm encouraging him to get a bike seat and take Danny out on it. That cat! Reminds me of my old fat cat, Chunk.

I did send in a photo of Danny for the Baby Gap contest (of course!). I chose this one as being the most Gap-Like:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...scamera078.jpg

Are any of you old enough to remember those big-eye kid pictures that used to be popular? Now they are kitsch, but people used to have them in their homes for real.

#126 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.