Failure to thrive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help with DD. She is 30 months old, 23 lbs, and 36 in tall. She has not gained weight since Feb. 2006.
March of 2005 she was 11 months, 18.5 lbs. She stayed that weight until Feb 2006 when she shot up to 23.
Background- she was exclusively breastfed until 10 months when I introduced solids. She was weaned at 20 months. She's had an endoscopy and biopsies done and has been dx-ed as irritable bowl. She has persistant diarrhea and is on Bental (dicyclomine) 3x a day at 3 mLs. She currently has no allergies (we are sure). She drinks whole milk. She is also on Neocate Jr (this is what gained those 5 lbs, although she's plateaued again) which is a medical food. She has a great appetite for a toddler and eats very high calorie/ high fat foods.
I'm very concerned at this point. Her gastroenterologist has basically given us the ultimatum of that if she doesn't gain weight by January, we will need to discuss a g-tube for feeding. I DON"T want to do this.
Relactation isn't an option right now- I'm pg. I don't know that that would help anyways, since she was FTT while breastfed.
Help me. What else can I do, ask for, try?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#2 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 12:15 AM

When my dd was a baby, she was ftt. She had severe reflux and didn't gain anything from the time she was a year old until she was 2 1/2 when a feeding tube was placed. Has your DD been checked for absorption problems? I would also consider another endoscopy/colonoscopy with biopsies just to make sure they didn't miss anything the first time around.
If you do have to go to a feeding tube, you may want to try a ng tube(in the nose) before you have a g-tube placed. We did this with DD just to make sure she could gain with the feeding tube. There were concerns she wasn't able to gain regardless of caloric intake. Another opinion would also be a good idea.
I feel for you...it is very worrisome to have a FTT child but it does sounds like you are doing what you can with diet(high calorie, Neocate).
#3 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you do have to go to a feeding tube, you may want to try a ng tube(in the nose) before you have a g-tube placed. We did this with DD just to make sure she could gain with the feeding tube. There were concerns she wasn't able to gain regardless of caloric intake. Another opinion would also be a good idea.
(high calorie, Neocate).
Maybe this is a dumb question- but how do you keep an active toddler from pulling out a ng tube? Or a g-tube for that matter? We've had a hard time keeping IV's in her in the past.

#4 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 AM

hi there!
i see you are pretty close to me!
Habve the usual glandular options been tested for? She has been tested for lead, thyroid function, general adrenal function? Ruled out a parasite such as a tapeworm? (eeww,creeps me out to even think about it...)

honestly, what i see as the problem here is the typical Westerm medicin "put a bandaid on the symptoms" kind of thing.
What is WRONG with her?
You don't mention reflux or a lack of eating?
IF she is taking in sufficient calories, then something is WRONG with her....simply giving her more calories via a tube isn't going to FIX the problem, youknow?
IF she is not eating enough...then fine, she needs to eat more, via whatever method you decide upon...
BUT, IF she is getting sufficiant caolries..something is WRONG..she has a lack of Growth hormone..her pituitary glad, adrenals, thryoid...SOMETHING isn't right....In order to actually make her BETTER..you have to figure out what is WRONG, and FIX IT.

CPST
#5 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question- but how do you keep an active toddler from pulling out a ng tube? Or a g-tube for that matter? We've had a hard time keeping IV's in her in the past.
Hi,

My heart goes out to you. What a tough place to be emotionally right now.

My dd has a gtube and I have to say, although I would have never dreamed of having a kid with a gtube before her birth, the tube has been a blessing for her. She has some reflux/hunger issues and the tube has helped her to thrive. I make her a blenderized formula from real foods.

But of course, it would be better not to have a tube. I agree that if she needs a tube, she should start with an NG tube, but you need to schedule a tentative surgery date for gtube at that time. An NG is hard, but sometimes necessary. They are not meant to be long-term. If you decide after a couple of mos that she needs a gtube, you will have to wait a few weeks to get the gtube if the surgery is not scheduled yet. Once you make up your mind to get the gtube, it will seem like an enernity until that surgery date comes up.

Some kids do okay on an NG and leave it alone and don't mind it at all. Others will not want to swallow, may become dependent on it, and it may make feeding issues worse.

But first and foremost, children need nutrition. If she has an irritable bowl, try posting in the Health and Healing forum. They will have some great suggestions that may make her start feeling better so you don't have to deal with tubes at all.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
hi there!
i see you are pretty close to me!
Habve the usual glandular options been tested for? She has been tested for lead, thyroid function, general adrenal function? Ruled out a parasite such as a tapeworm? (eeww,creeps me out to even think about it...)

honestly, what i see as the problem here is the typical Westerm medicin "put a bandaid on the symptoms" kind of thing.
What is WRONG with her?
You don't mention reflux or a lack of eating?
IF she is taking in sufficient calories, then something is WRONG with her....simply giving her more calories via a tube isn't going to FIX the problem, youknow?
IF she is not eating enough...then fine, she needs to eat more, via whatever method you decide upon...
BUT, IF she is getting sufficiant caolries..something is WRONG..she has a lack of Growth hormone..her pituitary glad, adrenals, thryoid...SOMETHING isn't right....In order to actually make her BETTER..you have to figure out what is WRONG, and FIX IT.
I totally agree with this! You need to keep a journal of her intake over a week and take that back to the doctor. For nursing kids, they need to be weighed before and after each feeding to count in breastmilk.

My own dd-- we know she has or had reflux-- but beyond that her GI is not concerned with the fact that she can't handle a normal volume of food for her age, that she seems to lack hunger or fullness feelings and feels nausea often. As long as she's getting the calories through the tube, he is happy. I am in the process of getting a new GI for her who is willing to dig a little deeper and find out what we are dealing with beyond reflux. Because I feel there are some things going on and my heart has never lead me wrong. We also have an appt with a geneticist and we may be getting her hormone and metabolism tested, too.

If you feel the GI or other doctors are not listening, ask around and see if you can get another doctor who will listen.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
Hi,

My heart goes out to you. What a tough place to be emotionally right now.

My dd has a gtube and I have to say, although I would have never dreamed of having a kid with a gtube before her birth, the tube has been a blessing for her. She has some reflux/hunger issues and the tube has helped her to thrive. I make her a blenderized formula from real foods.

But of course, it would be better not to have a tube. I agree that if she needs a tube, she should start with an NG tube, but you need to schedule a tentative surgery date for gtube at that time. An NG is hard, but sometimes necessary. They are not meant to be long-term. If you decide after a couple of mos that she needs a gtube, you will have to wait a few weeks to get the gtube if the surgery is not scheduled yet. Once you make up your mind to get the gtube, it will seem like an enernity until that surgery date comes up.

Some kids do okay on an NG and leave it alone and don't mind it at all. Others will not want to swallow, may become dependent on it, and it may make feeding issues worse.

But first and foremost, children need nutrition. If she has an irritable bowl, try posting in the Health and Healing forum. They will have some great suggestions that may make her start feeling better so you don't have to deal with tubes at all.
Thanks. I'm not convinced that she has irritable bowl. The dx was made just because of the diarrhea. She also has sleep apnea (recent tonsillectomy seems to have helped) and I can't help but wonder if it's all connected. Is the ped. the one who usually referrs to a geneticist?
We've tried diet, elimination, and homeopathy for her tummy- nothing seems to help. Even with her medicine she says that her tummy hurts.

#8 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Or a g-tube for that matter? We've had a hard time keeping IV's in her in the past.
I forgot to answer this part of the question-- a gtube is like an earring but in the stomach. It hurts to be pulled on, but if it's left alone it feels like a natural part of the body. They learn not to pull on it fairly quickly.

Have you tested for allergies yet? Sometimes allergies will cause the irritable bowel. The intestines get all inflamed and there are loose stools. My dd was just tested for allergies and has been doing a bit better since I started making her own formula that does not have those things in it.

#9 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
I forgot to answer this part of the question-- a gtube is like an earring but in the stomach. It hurts to be pulled on, but if it's left alone it feels like a natural part of the body. They learn not to pull on it fairly quickly.

Have you tested for allergies yet? Sometimes allergies will cause the irritable bowel. The intestines get all inflamed and there are loose stools. My dd was just tested for allergies and has been doing a bit better since I started making her own formula that does not have those things in it.
Good to know!! I've been reall afraid that if we had to do this she'd rip it out!
Yes, she's had 3 allergy tests- looks neg.

#10 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM

I don't understand what the point of the g-tube is if she's already consuming a sufficient amount of calories? Have you taken her to an endocrinologist and geneticist for evaluation? Sometimes these things go beyond GI issues, and the 'fix' has nothing to do with the GI, if that makes any sense.

But I did want to throw something out there to think about, in case you do decide to go with the g-tube. A lot of times it's seen as standard procedure to do a Nissen Wrap that the same time as tube placement. While the tube can be removed eventually the nissen can never be undone.

My son had both a g-tube placement and nissen done at 3 mo. His tube is gone now, but he still suffers due to the nissen. He can't easily throw up when he needs to, and when he does it's so forceful that he aspirates and ends up with pneumonia. He can't burp, and it's constantly causing him pain.

That being said sometimes it's necessary, and the pros outweigh the cons. If your dd is having reflux, or vomiting and it's causing her to not absorb enough calories, then it very well may be necessary.

I wish you the best, whatever you decide to do.
#11 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 AM

Have you had her tested for gluten intolerance? How's her skin?

She sounds a lot like my 2nd son, who has Celiac. When we removed the offending foods, he has shot up in weight and height and is all-around more happy!

HTH!
#12 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 PM

Just wanted to 2nd the celiac idea... it sounds like she eats plenty but isn't absorbing enough. Added w/a IBS diagnosis points at something like Celiac.

Id' ask for a full CBC, lead, etc. plus thyroid, other glands/hormones, and pull all gluten and dairy from her diet. ALL, even the hidden parts.

If the gluten damages her intestines and she can't absorb food (and dairy agitates gluten damage) then she would have IBS symptoms and poor gain.

Does she have dark circles under her eyes? Eczema or other strange rash? Red ring on her anus? Poor sleep? Crazy behavior?

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#13 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The ng is more difficult to manage than the g tube but you don't have to have it surgically placed. It is a less permanent way to see if a tube feeding is a solution. My daughter's ng tube did come out but it was mostly during tape changes. As soon as she started to tug on it, she could feel it in her throat and she stopped pulling.

Just to revisit the amount she is eating, it is difficult sometimes to get a good idea of how much actually makes it into her. We had this problem. My DD would eat, just not enough. Also, some kids have a higher caloric need than others but I would want the GI to have a look at absorption problems or a bacterial overgrowth(given the diarreah).
#14 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 PM

One more thing to add...if you do have a g tube placed and an option of doing a Nissen Fundoplication comes up, I would have a very thorough discussion with the surgeon about the complications that come with a Nissen. It is possible to place a g tube without a Nissen...if the Nissen is necessary, you can always go back and have it done after.
#15 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Wish I had useful advice.
#16 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Hi. I skimmed through the posts real quickly, because I wanted to reply. I'm going to go back and re-read though.

My DS will be three in one month. He has not gained one ounce since July of 2005!! He is barely 28 lbs. Just last month he grew 3 inches and is now 34", but until that, he hadn't grew any since July of 05 either.

I was very concerned (and still sorta am). My first concern was my DS's head was so big. His head is in the 100 percentile and his body/weight is under the fifth percentile. So I first mentioned his head size to my doc. But she wasn't real concerned b/c DS was developmentally advanced. Over time, I'd say 6 months, he started to "flat line" as she called it. (FTT? I dunno) So she referred me to a pediatric endocrinologist. This was April of 06. They did blood work (a lot, but I don't know exactly what) and they did x-rays. I got those results back in late July of 06. Everything was fine. Then last month, early Sept, one day I noticed his jeans were getting a little short. So I measured him, and he grew 3 inches! So I anxiously weighed him, and sadly, no weight gain, actually possibly a slight loss.

We go back to the endo. next month. I'm really worried about WHY he isn't gaining weight. Everyone tells me not to worry, it's better to be skinny (most of my family and DH's family is slightly to very obese). I have switched him over to raw milk even, b/c my cousin who has chron's is thriving since her family made the switch. I also try to follow a similar diet for my son that she follows...which is very difficult for me. I don't know why my son isn't gaining weight, but my mommy intuition is just telling me "SOMETHING" is wrong.

I'm sorry I have no advice. But I wanted you to know I am right there with you, although my son does not have ANY dx, except "slow growth". Have you been to an endocrinologist? What makes them say IBS? My son has loose stools and goes at least 3x a day, but it's not what I'm used to diarrhea being (like runny). I have ulcerative colitis, so I do have the loose stools like he does. But they said all his test came back "fine". Now I'm wondering if they even tested for colitis/chrones. Mine was dx through a colonoscopy, which they have not done on DS. Hmmmm...... Please keep me updated on what you learn.
#17 of 33 Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM

I too would really, really hesitate before I did a fundo. I'm sooo glad I didn't do that for Nitara even though it was suggested by the surgeon to cure her vomiting. Sometimes the cure can be worse than the illness. I have heard too many stories. It *can* be a good thing for some kids, livesaving even. But more and more well informed doctors are not doing the fundo unless certain criteria are met.

Here's my page on the pros and cons of feeding tubes and the fundoplication surgery, as well as some articles.
http://members.cox.net/sukumaran/Ref...fluxlinks.html

If you go to the main page you will find other pages that I created that show gtube photos and other things.

#18 of 33 Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM

I am so sorry to hear that your child is having so many issues with growth and weight gain.

I would strongly question the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. While not unheard of, it is not common in very young children, and there are usually many more symptoms beyond diarrhea. My 3yo has the upper GI equivalent of irritable bowel syndrome (Visceral hyperalgesia of the stomach and small intestine after pancreatitis) and she has excrutiating pain, diarrhea, vomiting, retching, etc. She's 100% IV dependent, takes 4 pain meds, and so on. While my dd's case is very severe, you would expect some of these other symptoms, at least some problems with eating and pain, if your dd truly did have IBS or some other functional GI problem.

It sounds to me like she may have something else. What I would suggest is having the usual endocrinology labs run. I would also suggest having several tests for absorption and pancreatic function, such as fecal elastase. Many kids with low pancreatic enzymes have chronic diarrhea. This can easily be treated. Also a stool culture and C-diff test to rule out anything in that dept. Your GI should be able to run all the tests...all the endocrinologist will do at the first visit is order the tests anyway. I would also recommend a test for cystic fibrosis, sweat test or genetic study.

I highly recommend going to a specialize GI center for a second opinion. I would recommend only two programs in the Midwest, Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. We've been to both, and pretty much everywhere else as well, and there is a huge difference in the caliber of GI experience at these two hospitals.

As for the tube, it sounds WAY scarier than it actually is. It's actually not a big deal at all, very minor surgery, very easy to use, makes life way easier. Of course no one wants one, but as interventions go, it is really very benign. Ever since Terri Schiavo, people think of feeding tubes as these horrid things only people who are dying or in comas have. It's simply not true. Lots of kids have tubes for lots of reasons. Many of them are typical kids with no other issues. I second the advice above...do NOT do a fundo unless you need it for a life-saving reason like chronic aspiration pneumonia. And a tube is useless if she is not absorbing, so a trial run with an NG might prove instructive.

PM me if you need any other info. (((hug)))
#19 of 33 Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Have you had her tested for gluten intolerance? How's her skin?

She sounds a lot like my 2nd son, who has Celiac. When we removed the offending foods, he has shot up in weight and height and is all-around more happy!

HTH!
I'm pretty sure that she was tested for celiac when we did her first allergy test. Her skin is very clear- no real rashes, redness, pimples, ect.

#20 of 33 Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 AM

DS was almost diagnosed as FTT at 9 months...I don't have any advice, mama, but I couldn't read without wanting to send you a ton of warm hugs. I'll be thinking about you and your DD!!!
#21 of 33 Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 PM

I'm also going to second celiac.
DS was diagnosed with FTT at 12 months and we have been around the block with him since then. He was finally tentatively diagnosed with having a growth hormone deficiency, although its been over 6 months since that test and he will be retested in 2 weeks to see if he is still as low as he was (IGF I believe was the test). We seen a pediatric endo every 6 months now just to monitor him. He eats like a heifer all of the fattiest stuff I can find (when he isnt too picky that is) and just doesnt not keep it on
#22 of 33 Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM

The test for celiac is not an allergy test.. the diagnosis is usually made by taking a biopsy of the intestine during an endoscopy. Sounds like they may have already done that. Did they test pancreatic function?
#23 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 01:31 PM

Wow..I wish I had responded sooner.

i have a 16 month old ds who is FTT, GERD, and totally food intolerant. Not food allergic...he lacks 2 enzymes that deal with food digestion, so when he eats, his body just doesnt know what to do with food and he cries and screams.

We have had no head growth in 4 mos, and no weight gain, and lost weight gain since 12 mos.

We are going to be faced with a NG tube tomorrow, I am fairly certain. He is on Neocate Jr, and has 3 or 4 safe foods.

Amma has been a tremendous help to me, and I wish the blenderized food was an option for us...unfortunately he just cant tolerate hardly anything in his stomach.

Honestly, if the baby isnt gaining weight, and isnt thriving, there will come a point when a tube will become a welcome option.

At this point, I am so ready to not have to stress about every single calorie, and the crying and screaming..... a tube is looking more and more like a blessing.
#24 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM

While you're doing all these things to figure out what's going on, are you taking the time to really support her immune system?

What I mean by that is chiropractic, perhaps some craniosacral therapy (some chiros do it, but we had it done by an extra-trained massage therapist), even some acupressure (since probably acupuncture wouldn't be possible LOL). Just make sure that there is minimal interference in her own body's attempts at getting herself well. Because all those immuno things can really be helped by by the things I've mentioned.

re: having her tonsils out...sigh at doctors. Please really watch out for her health now, OK? Those are the first-line immune system, and I know that for me, once I had them out, I started getting more drastically sick. I used to have all the gross tonsil stuff, I'd get sore throats, strep throat (four times in the year before I had them out), I snored REALLY bad, blah blah blah. But now, when I get sick, it goes to my lungs and wipes me OUT. I have no first-line defense system anymore, and my health is FAR WORSE than it used to be. No, I don't have the annoying little illnesses, but I have serious illnesses now.

So really watch out for her. In fact, since her tonsils are gone now, it's even more important to support her immune system in every way possible.
#25 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM

NG tubes:

My son has had one in for 9 months. I know a lot of people are glad they switched to G tubes, but I gotta say I'm glad we've just stuck with the NG.

It is non-surgical, and at least for me this feels more "temporary" and that is somehow comforting. My son has not experienced oral aversion from it. I know many kids do.

About the pulling- they put little braces on his arms to keep him from pulling the night they inserted it for the first time, and by the next day, he was used to it. We took off the braces and he left it alone. Occassionall he'll kinda check it out, feel it moving in his throat, and stop. So it's possible your daughter may leave it alone. If she doesn't, you can always get the G-tube.

I am sorry you are having to go through all of this! It can be so exhausting trying to figure out what it wrong.

s
#26 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 08:30 PM

This is just my personal opinions from having a child who is still on rx formula at 22 mos, but if you saw so much gain from the Neocate, I bet you're dealing w/ food intolerances. When we moved Evan to Neocate only at 12 mos he gained 5# in 6mos. That was the most weight gain in that amount of time ever! At one point he was Neocate and rice only. His stomach was so wrecked that that's all he could handle at that point. He has had some allergy testing w/ most coming back negative. We had our best results w/ patch testing though, it applies the skin to the food and looks for delayed reactions. I would NOT base the child's diet on allergy tests, they are not always accurate, plus a child can react badly to an intolerance and that does not show up on tests. Evan is doing well now and can eat most things except for dairy, soy, and legumes. We're hoping to get him off the formula at 2 and move him to rice milk is his weight keeps up and he's eating enough. Evan also had bad reflux and just got off his meds (we think for the final time). He's been on them since he was 2.5wks old and his food issues just made it worse. If it were me, I'd do everything in the world to keep dc on a Neocate Jr only diet for a week (at least, but longer is better) or so and then SLOWLY add in foods and see what happens.

ETA: I meant to mention Evan is now about 24# and 22.5 mos and 31" tall. He's still small for his age, but doing well. We haven't had him weighed in a while though so I'm hoping he's actually 24#!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#27 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis View Post
re: having her tonsils out...sigh at doctors. Please really watch out for her health now, OK? Those are the first-line immune system, and I know that for me, once I had them out, I started getting more drastically sick. I used to have all the gross tonsil stuff, I'd get sore throats, strep throat (four times in the year before I had them out), I snored REALLY bad, blah blah blah. But now, when I get sick, it goes to my lungs and wipes me OUT. I have no first-line defense system anymore, and my health is FAR WORSE than it used to be. No, I don't have the annoying little illnesses, but I have serious illnesses now.

So really watch out for her. In fact, since her tonsils are gone now, it's even more important to support her immune system in every way possible.
Not getting her tonsils out wasn't really an option anymore. She's only had one case of strep that I can remember- that wasn't the problem. We had a sleep study and her O2 sat was 60% while she was sleeping. She was also stopping breathing. She needed her airway widened- the tonsils we nearly touching.
I see a chiropractor and I think next time I go I'll have her adjusted, as well- thank you for the suggestion!

#28 of 33 Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
CEG

Just wanted to share my daughter's stats with you. She is almost your DD age- born 4-12-04. She was 8 lb 11 oz at birth, 18 lbs at 8 months and she is currently 23 pounds- so a 5 pound gain in 2 years. We have never been worried because she hits all of her milestones on time. Her dad and I also were skinny little kids. We had one doc who was muttering failure to thrive but we changed docs and are happy now. My DS is following her curve, being almost one year and about 17 pounds.

I agree that your docs should be investigating the diarrhea, but IMO the weight/growth issue is not such a worry of itself- it could even be somewhat independant of the diarrhea issue, i.e. small child+ diarrhea= even smaller child.

I hope you find a solution and healing for your babe soon.
#29 of 33 Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
Just wanted to share my daughter's stats with you. She is almost your DD age- born 4-12-04. She was 8 lb 11 oz at birth, 18 lbs at 8 months and she is currently 23 pounds- so a 5 pound gain in 2 years. We have never been worried because she hits all of her milestones on time. Her dad and I also were skinny little kids. We had one doc who was muttering failure to thrive but we changed docs and are happy now. My DS is following her curve, being almost one year and about 17 pounds.

I agree that your docs should be investigating the diarrhea, but IMO the weight/growth issue is not such a worry of itself- it could even be somewhat independant of the diarrhea issue, i.e. small child+ diarrhea= even smaller child.

I hope you find a solution and healing for your babe soon.
I honestly hope she's just going to be a little girl. It just feels of fin my stomach, KWIM?

#30 of 33 Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I need help with DD. She is 30 months old, 23 lbs, and 36 in tall. She has not gained weight since Feb. 2006.
March of 2005 she was 11 months, 18.5 lbs. She stayed that weight until Feb 2006 when she shot up to 23.
Background- she was exclusively breastfed until 10 months when I introduced solids. She was weaned at 20 months. She's had an endoscopy and biopsies done and has been dx-ed as irritable bowl. She has persistant diarrhea and is on Bental (dicyclomine) 3x a day at 3 mLs. She currently has no allergies (we are sure). She drinks whole milk. She is also on Neocate Jr (this is what gained those 5 lbs, although she's plateaued again) which is a medical food. She has a great appetite for a toddler and eats very high calorie/ high fat foods.
I'm very concerned at this point. Her gastroenterologist has basically given us the ultimatum of that if she doesn't gain weight by January, we will need to discuss a g-tube for feeding. I DON"T want to do this.
Relactation isn't an option right now- I'm pg. I don't know that that would help anyways, since she was FTT while breastfed.
Help me. What else can I do, ask for, try?
Hi,
My daughter was diagnosed with FTT after a year of not gaining weight. She underwent many tests and they couldn't find anything. She is still quite petite. I understand where you're coming from. Digestive issues sometimes take awhile to diagnose.
Does she have lactose intolerance? That causes a lot of pain and diarrhea.

Has your daughter taken antibiotics at all? Have you given her probiotics?

I personally dealt with 3 months of pain, tests and no one could figure out where the pain was coming from. I saw a chiropractor who specializes in kinesiology and nutrition. She did muscle testing on me and found out that I had yeast overgrowth in my intestines. I found out that I am intolerant to many foods. So now I'm on a special diet to control the yeast and am taking a yeast redux pill. My Dr. also says that when the body is stressed, it's harder to digest certain foods like dairy, gluten, corn, soy and sugar.
Muscle testing is not painful and it could give you some good information.

I'm in WI and I see you're in MN. If you're interested I could ask my Dr. if she has any colleagues in MN.
Sending healing thoughts,
Jess

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page