Doing Stairs Alone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did you let your dc go up and down the stairs without direct supervision (standing right next to them or behind them)?

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#2 of 23 Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM

DD started walking up and down them at 11 months without help. Then they became a toy at about 13 months, up and down, up and down she went. She's fallen down them a few times... we could never babygate the bottom steps so if i wasn't watching her carefully she would climb them. I pretty much stopped paying attention at about 18 months

Hope that helps.
#3 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 AM

We don't have stairs in our home, but lots of sets of stairs in our lives, including concrete steps to my work. My ds has gone through periods of absolute infatuation with stairs as he has worked on mastering them.

We taught ds early on to get down from tall surfaces, such as the bed, by backing down on his stomach, feet first (he finally caught onto this around maybe a year). He uses this technique when he is not confident about a set of stairs, or when he is in a hurry, so I generally trust him to get up and down safely because he knows his limits. I do stand pretty close by (though not necessarily right next to or behind him) with especially steep stairs or with the concrete steps or other hard surfaces, but otherwise let him do his thing. My dw, on the other hand, usually supervises a bit more carefully. She and I have different approaches to things like this.

He is currently 18 months. He can get up and sometimes down the stairs with the help of a low-set ramp to hold onto (or if I hold his hand). When there isn't anything to hold onto, he usually has to crawl up and scoot back down.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#4 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 AM

Depends on the "dangerousness" of the stairs...nice, cushy, padded, carpeted stairs with maybe a nice curve or landing, and a nice soft carpeted floor at the bottom..such that a fall would be less likely to cause serious injury....12-15 months.

Our crappy basement stairs (our basement is like the second floor to our house, we go up and down all day long), which are STEEP, non-padded, no carpet, and at the bottom is the tile-over-cement floor.....more like 18 months, and i still freak out about it....sigh....

CPST
#5 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:01 AM

The stairs going up and down from our basement I trust him alone on. They are carpeted, padded, wide, curved, with carpet at the bottom. The stairs going up, I'm still paranoid about...they are wood, wide, and curved, with tile at the bottom. I'm getting to the point where I'm not as worried now with those, but I wouldn't give him free access either like I do the basement stairs.

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#6 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Banned

As soon as they could...7-8 months.
#7 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:22 AM

As soon as they could. Since my kids are "late" in the large motor dept, it was about 12 months for ds, and about 10 for dd. At that age, I taught them to turn around and crawl down. When they learned to walk, we had to re-learn a bit. We have a short (5 step) stair up to our bedrooms, and that's a good learning place. They've only fallen once each.

For steep stairs, I'll often offer to hold their hands, but I don't insist if they're being safe (i.e. not JUMPING from step to step!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
same here.
#9 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:46 AM

we don't have stairs but ds just recently started climbing them at my mom's on his own without anyone standing right there. He's 19 months. Since we dont' have any, he didn't have very many opportunities to practice on them.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 07:04 AM

ds is 19 months and will not go down backwards or on his bum, he wants to walk down. Problem is he gets too excited and misses steps or slips so I still feel like i have to be there. We have been practicing, I'm letting him go up and down and I just sit at the bottom in case he falls. We have carpeted stairs and hardwood floor at the bottom. It's quite unnnerving.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#11 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM

DD is 17 months and we've just started not freaking out too much when she heads up the stairs herself. There's 8 stairs and they're carpeted. We still have to remind her to go down feet first crawling though because she just wants to walk like the rest of us but there's no railing, just a wall on one side. Yesterday I watched her come down the right way, on her belly, feet first but she just slid soooo fast, laughing all the way. Little monkey!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 AM

DS is 25 months and I still watch him pretty closely on stairs...mainly because he has really short legs and he doesn't always make a smooth step up. It also depends on the type of stairs. When we lived on the third floor of our building, it was a nightmare!! with the stairs. They were old, rickety, cracking wood...four sets that didn't come close to making code. EEEEEK!! I hated those things and so I guess they have just kept me more guarded with DS around stairs. (We're now on the bottom floor, and I don't miss those stairs one bit!! I'm actually loving not having any stairs to deal with...wouldn't you know though we are trying to find a mobile home and they all have those narrow stairways to the door...there we'd go again - LOL! At least it woudl be a much smaller set!)
#13 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM

My little guy is 10 mos. and he started crawling up the stairs at 6 mos. I followed the first few times, then let him go. He would yell at the top of the stairs when he wanted someone to go get him and bring him back down. A few weeks ago he learned to go down the stairs, and I never followed him doing that. Our steps are narrow and wooden, but have a landing 1/2 way so it's only 8 steps at a time. He's never fallen and he goes up and down many times a day.
My oldest son was allowed to go up and down by himself around 10-11 mos., but just because he took more time to do it than his baby brother.
#14 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
:

Dd has always been a mountain goat. She climbs everything, stairs included. She falls very infrequently. I figure she wouldn't climb so much if she 1. fell more often or 2. was nervous about it.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#15 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:37 AM

We did not have stairs in our first home, but when we moved dd was 16m and I would say I started letting her go at it alone around 18m. She was an early walker and was pretty confident, yet careful. Now she is 2.5y and she had her first nasty spill down the stairs two mornings ago.....with dh. She was fine, but now insists that everyone hold the railing while climbing. Lesson learned

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#16 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 AM

At 2 1/2, it's still rare that I let her go up or down stairs on her own. Scares me to death.
#17 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM

continuum concept kinda mom -

as soon as she could. She knew to turn around and go backwards by 10 months. Going up was a little earlier - say 8 months. She fell down the carpeted stairs on our landing a few times, trying to go down forwards. So after that we "taught" her to turn around and go backwards.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#18 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 12:27 PM

Hmm, good question. DD is unsupervised on the two stairs at my mom's house, but that's because she crawls up and down them. Haven't thought about the fact that she might want to start walking up them soon.
#19 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:01 PM

I've only recently let my dd go up and down stairs by herself - so I'd say, 27 or 28 months. She's been able to do stairs for a long time, it just took me even longer to be comfortable with her doing it without me being right there. I've yet to let my almost 8 month old ds near the stairs.
#20 of 23 Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Both sets of stairs in our house are long, straight, steep, and bare, slippery wood. They scare the heck out of me, even-- I can't see past my belly these days, so I clutch the railing tightly. So I won't let DD near them unless I'm right beside her, even though she is able to manage them just fine without help. All it would take would be one fall, and with these stairs it would be a very serious fall. So I have deliberately cultivated caution in her about stairs, the same way I do with the stove and the curb. "Never go there if mama's not right there with you. You need to hold mama's hand."

I'll probably keep that up until she's tall enough to comfortably reach the railing, and old enough to reliably remember to hold on.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#21 of 23 Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Bump
#22 of 23 Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 AM

I'm surprised how early some are going up and down alone. Dd will be two in May, and we don't allow her freedom yet. If it was just her, I *might* let her, but dh for sure wouldn't, and with the big kids going back and.forth, too, she's way less safe.

But, she is also less "athletic" than my last two. Dd3 was never watched on the stairs and we moved here right when she turned two. She would walk up and down, no big deal. Dd2 was probably.also around two, at our old house. (We lived in an apartment a short time between houses, so dd3 never did the stairs dd2 did.).
#23 of 23 Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 AM

There are two flights of stairs to my apartment so I walk behind my granddaughter just in case. She does make getting up and down them very difficult because from ten months she decided to think up different ways of making the journey interesting! The first variation was sliding her feet to the edge and then letting them drop down. It took me awhile to get used to this as she had just learnt to walk!. Since then she has been a one girl ministry of silly walks. I loved the penguin walk,  the bear crouch and the "Angelina Ballerina arabesque". The worst  was rolling UP, closely followed by crawling down face first. It can be very slow and annoying, especially when I am carrying bags. Amazingly she had only  one accident and her mother was there too, thank goodness.

I know I am a bit off subject but I just felt like sharing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page