"Drugging" Baby - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately I have heard of this. My aunt's step-daughter gives it to her kids (and my aunt is all for it and gives it to them too). And they do it a LOT. They even got into trouble at Wal Mart because they were buying so much cold medicine they were suspected of running a meth lab. :

Actually, the way they talk, it sounds like its pretty common practice where they go to church. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#62 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM

My sister did that to her son and when I had watched him a couple of times, she had advised I give him benadryl to sleep. I refused and she was like "Oh well! You are gonna have a hard time getting him to sleep." I gave him a long bath, dinner and put him to bed WITHOUT meds and he was fine. Slept through the night. I told my mom about this. And she doesn't see anything wrong with it either. I'm like are you kidding? She's giving my nephew meds and he's not sick!!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#63 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolhagan View Post
Yikes! That's sad. A totally preventable death of a child... horrible.

I rarely give my children medication, and when the decision was made to medicate my oldest son, I felt terrible. I really did. I was actually embarresed by it for a while because I have always been so anti-medication. But, now I really feel we did what was best for everyone in the family.

Is there a spell check on this forum??
I think in your situation is is perfectly acceptable, what we are discussing more is the parents who do it for no medical reason.

it is awful what some parents will do, and what some parents consider "waking up alot", ive heard some people say cause their 6mth old wakes once during the night they have a sleep problem! :
#64 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM

Wow!!

Is is really that common?

I can't even imagine!! I admit I gave DS Tylenol a couple of times when he was miserable from teething (this was before I knew better I haven't given him any since and DD has never had anything) but giving it every night to get kids to sleep better????!!! Wow.

Gosh, thankfully no one I know of IRL does this (maybe they just don't talk about it?!?)
#65 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 AM

A friend of mine was returning to Auz after being here in France for a few years and was given a prescription for both her boys so that they would sleep for most of the 24 journey they - she got the prescription but I'm not sure if she gave it or not! It seems to be quite common here for long journeys.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#66 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 09:36 AM

my sil has been giving her baby gravol for months so he will sleep, he still crys himself to sleep everynight. He is 9 months old.
#67 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 PM

I read articles all over that the "drugging" thing doesn't statistically help, especially the Benadryl myth. Well it might help them to fall asleep, but not to *stay*asleep.
However my ped was casually telling me to give Benadryl to my older boy during the flight when we went to Japan last winter. I didn't do it cause I remember as a kid I always got travel sickness and the medicine made me soooo sleepy I just felt so pooped by the time we arrived. The sleep you get with those meds is not quality sleep in my opinion
#68 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 PM

There was a baby a few years ago that died in the care of a daycare provider. It turned out that the daycare provider was putting Benedryl in the bottle. The baby got an overdose. How sad is that? It can be so, so dangerous to give something like this. I remember in the article, the mom said that on weekends her baby was not a good napper, but the daycare provider had said that the baby always napped well at her house, for most of the afternoon.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#69 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 PM

When our older DS was a newborn, DH many times suggested I give him Benadryl for DS to sleep at night. I told him he must be CRAZY! No way!!! That's the wierdest thing about having kids, that I find out all these wierd, and very sad, things that MIL did to her kids while she raised them.

Single mom of 2 boys
#70 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM

my sil did that with my nephews.... we took the oldest one on a week long road trip to see my dh graduate basic training when he was about 4 1/2, and she sent a bunch of benadryl "to help him sleep"

funny, in the almost 4 years id known him at that point, and all the times hed spent the weekend at my house (usually at least once a month) hed never had trouble sleeping...

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#71 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM

i heard about that case with the daycare provider. it was on court tv, which my mom watches regularly. she told me about it. so sad

i don't see how parents can give their child a needless medicine every day don't they realize that it is very harmful? if not, i hope someone tells them that it can cause problems, even death.
#72 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
There was a baby a few years ago that died in the care of a daycare provider. It turned out that the daycare provider was putting Benedryl in the bottle. The baby got an overdose. How sad is that? It can be so, so dangerous to give something like this. I remember in the article, the mom said that on weekends her baby was not a good napper, but the daycare provider had said that the baby always napped well at her house, for most of the afternoon.
I had heard about this too, and she didn't have the parents permission to even be giving the benedryl at all.
#73 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
kdf

I think that "drugging" your baby to sleep is awful. My ds hasn't been a good sleep up until resently and I would of never thought of giving him something to get to sleep. It is hard enough to break other habits that he uses to get to sleep never mind a drug habit. My ds doesn't get meds for anything. He takes a health juice which is an anti inflammatory, anti histaime pretty much anti everything and he never had anything pain for teething. Yes he was up in the night but we just played until he was tired again and then went back to sleep. We don't know what kind of effects giving your babies meds is going to have on them when they grow up. IMO meds are poison and none of my ds will ever take them. IMO

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#74 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 PM

check out this article, read the whole thing..... It may change your mind about giving benadryl to make your child sleepy. http://www.oweb.com/state/story/08162003_sta3.asp
#75 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM

My mom tells me to do this pretty frequently. I'm fairly sure she did the same thing to me and my sister when we were kids. Not every night of course, but occasionally.
#76 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 06:25 PM

OMG this woman gave a 3 and a half month old baby a tablespoon of benadryl every afternoon! wow
#77 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 PM

LOL.... I have drugged my kid too.

When she broke her leg, I gave her The Motrin and Benadryl together. Just hoping she could sleep a little.

Then when she was 12, and got braces, I drugged the living snot out of her. You have not heard whining til you have listened to a 12 year old with a new set of braces. She actually begged to be knocked out. (she had a lot more than just braces done that day though)

When I worked at a daycare center in 1982, we put Robitussin in EVERY bottle for EVERY baby EVERY day. We never told the parents of course. My director told me it was to keep the kids healthy. LOL. Eventually I learned that cold medicine is not a cure for a cold. But, I was young then. When I figured that out, along with a bunch of other things, I turned them in to the health dept, and quit my job.
#78 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 07:38 PM

That makes me so sad to read that people do this on purpose... I took my 7 month old to the doctor last because for the last 3 weeks she had been sick with somthing, cold, then croupe, which then led to an ear infection. Well she still had a raspy sound in her chest so I took her back to the ped., we are almost sure she has allergies (I had been ignoring some of the signs because I DIDNT want to medicate her) well the ped. told me to give her benydral for a week and call her back to let her know if it was helping...
It just makes me so sad that people would give meds on purpose to thier children when they dont need them because I am here struggling to give them to my DD and it is actually helping her to breathe better at night..
Very Sad
#79 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leximom View Post
OMG this woman gave a 3 and a half month old baby a tablespoon of benadryl every afternoon! wow
Can you say OVERDOSE! My ped. recommended only 1/2 tsp for my 7 month 19 pounder... that poor baby!
#80 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 PM

I really don't have issues for using meds when miranda is sick or in pain, but using it strickly because I want her to sleep, that's like Abuse. Tylenol is bad for you, I know this, and even more so if you have to switch drugs because your child has grown IMMUNE to it. That's way too much use.

I have Asthma and HORRIBLE allergies, which in turn make my asthma worse, so I'm on allergy meds everyday. I grow Immune to them and have to switch brands every couple of months. Glad I haven't gotten Immune to my Albuterol. lol

I wonder what is wrong with people.
#81 of 113 Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 PM

The fact that this seems so common is so sad to me. I do give dd Motrin or Tylenol for a high fever and occasionally for teething pain at night. Once for an ear infection that had her screaming. She has had a decongestant a handful of times for a bad cold that interfered with nursing. All of this was done after consultation with a doctor. She does not sleep through the night. Personally, if I gave her some drug to sleep based on my own whim, I would be up all night worrying about her.

That being said, I totally understand that if a child had a medical issue that interferes with sleep, it may be necessary to take medication to keep the child rested/healthy.

Lack of sleep is awful, but unnecessarily drugging children is just wrong.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#82 of 113 Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 AM

Think a/b what these people are doing to their childs liver. These drugs are very hard on the liver. I can see giving them something for a fever, cold or teething, but not every day! Poor kids.
#83 of 113 Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 AM

When we were in the height of our sleep issues our ped acctually perscribed a doped up benedryll to use to 'ease him through the crying' : Wish I could change peds but we are stuck on base Like I am going to let him CIO in the first place but then to drug him like a crack addict on methadone.: ) I was/ still am mad about that 'advice'
#84 of 113 Old 10-25-2006, 07:06 AM

My son has sleeping issue, he gets up at odd hours and is up all night. The lack of sleep effects his behavior the rest of day and can be uncontroling at times. So his doctor told us to give him Menatonin (I think thats what its called) its kind of like a hormon we all have but some people have less of it and it is what helps us sleep. They usually give it to people who have jet lag and need to re-set their internal clocks. We havent tried it yet but last night he woke at midnight and its now 6am and he is up. He has school today (age7) so he should be plesant at school, poor people.
#85 of 113 Old 10-25-2006, 12:27 PM

Ok, I tried, but just couldnt find a smiley to express my horror at this! That is just awful! "Medicating" your child to get them to sleep?!?! Isnt that illegal? I am totally shocked!
#86 of 113 Old 10-26-2006, 12:40 AM

It is called Mellatonin.
#87 of 113 Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388 View Post
I really don't have issues for using meds when miranda is sick or in pain, but using it strickly because I want her to sleep, that's like Abuse. Tylenol is bad for you, I know this, and even more so if you have to switch drugs because your child has grown IMMUNE to it. That's way too much use.

I have Asthma and HORRIBLE allergies, which in turn make my asthma worse, so I'm on allergy meds everyday. I grow Immune to them and have to switch brands every couple of months. Glad I haven't gotten Immune to my Albuterol. lol

I wonder what is wrong with people.

Since you know that Tylenol is bad, I doubt you use it. But if you do, you might want to know that it's being more and more linked to ASTHMA. Since you already have that problem, you'll want to stay away even more. I never took Tylenol b/c I didn't trust it, but then I got pg and everyone poo-pooed ibuprofen, so I'd take it every so often. Then I developed extreme asthma, which everyone labeled pregnancy-induced asthma. And then it continued for a year after DS arrived. During that year I found out about the links to asthma and realized that it really did coincide with starting to use Tylenol.

One time on a little vacation, DS got sick. Really sick. DH had had the illness beforehand, and actually was still getting over it. But we went on the trip anyway, b/c DH was being a trouper for my little getaway. So then DS got it. It was a rough illness, the thing that swarmed through last Spring, starting with cold symptoms as well as utter FEAR as you woke up continuously throughout the night... A really weird illness. DH had it but didn't share about the fear. Then DS had it, and you could tell he was frightened as well as miserable with the cold. Later, after we got home, I got it, and found out firsthand how miserable my guys must have been.

So the first night, we just barely got through it, DH walking DS for an hour, waking me up, I'd walk him for an hour and a half, wake up DH, and so on. Just as soon as I would say "OK hubby, go find a London Drug and get him some cold medicine", DS would pass out for a couple hours and we would hold off on the purchase. We were taking the train home. He might have been OK with the motion of the train. And then we got stuck behind a broken down freight train for a couple hours...

DS was getting worse and worse, just miserable. I was starting to get sick (I'm quite sure the people in our train car LOVED us) and my arms were giving out after 24 hours of holding DS, and I was almost crying out of exhaustion, as was DH.

Then the woman in front of us pops out a Tylenol Junior pack, the kind that dissolve. I said thank you and took one. I broke off a quarter of the big round pill thing, and gave it to DS (after reading the instructions). Over the next half hour I watched him get drugged.

It was exactly like watching an Animal Planet show where they've tranquilzer-darted a big animal, and you watch it go down in slow motion. Except it was more pitiful. It was so sad to see the look in his eyes, not knowing what was happening....

But at last he slept, and we all got some rest.

I canNOT fathom doing that to a child, when they weren't very sick or in a lot of pain....

Of course, sometimes I feel weird giving DS Rescue Remedy or homeopathic chamomile, so I'm extra-sensitive to drugging kids, obviously...
#88 of 113 Old 10-26-2006, 06:24 PM

I got off the phone w/ my grandma last night and she suggested a sip of wine for the kids. It's one of those "that's what we did back then" things. Actually, it just made me laugh, though. But my grandma was dead serious
#89 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM

Sometimes adults or children just react to the dyes that are in certain medications like some of the red dyes (think infant Tylenol and cough meds) or Yellow Dye #5.

So, I posted in another thread that I do know an adult (then early 20s) who went into a coma after continually taking Tylenol for a chronic knee problem. He was otherwise a healthy, athletic guy. Fortunately, he did recover. But, I saw on one of the links in the other thread that more people die from accidental "overdoses" from long-term use of Tylenol than those who actually take a large amount at one time in an actual attempt at suicide!

Also, the ingredient in Tylenol P.M. and Unisom, and other OTC sleep aids, is the same generic ingredient as that in Benadryl. I do not want DS to take Benadryl at all! I don't know why these doctors can't prescribe another class of antihistamine for these children. Benadryl has an affect on dopamine. As does Phenergan, I think. I know that these drugs will cause me to be drowsy, but if I do not get to sleep for some reason then I will get Restless Legs like crazy, an issue with dopamine. Also, I recently started a medication for GERD (reflux) for myself and had a rare reaction related to dopamine called facial rigidity. Essentially, my jaw was locking-up. That was after only a few doses. DH spoke with the doctor on call who told him to give me Benadryl. After a few hours I was okay. Still waiting to go to the specialist to address this problem a different way. But, these medications can be dangerous!

I chose a holistic doctor for DS because I believe my system was ruined by being overmedicated as a child. And, I was given Benadryl for sleep, and now clearly have serious problems with any drug affecting my dopamine. And, had Restless Legs from the very start of my pregnancy, often a precursor to Parkinson's Disease, as dopamine is related to Parkinson's Disease. So, every time you give your child a drug like this (not plain Tylenol which has its own dangers) you are affecting them neurologically. This issue makes me think of people who take Ecstasy and then can not regulate their own serotonin.

A less serious problem is that taking antihistamines on a regular basis will affect the amount of saliva in your or DC's mouth which can lead to serious tooth decay. And, the other poster was correct about the fact that most of the time an antihistamine will hinder healing from a cold as it just dries you up and prevents the expectorant and decongestant effect you need. Sometimes it's appropriate, but I would get the doctor's advice before giving it.

Please be careful with these drugs! They can really be a quick fix for minor problems that can cause serious long-term issues. Do a little research on these drugs and dopamine, and even see if you can get your pediatrician to give a different class of antihistamine that does not cause drowsiness if your DC does need one.

Oh, and no alcohol! And, not even for an "alcohol bath" for a high fever. These are old remedies that can be dangerous. Also, no one replied to a post I made in another thread about Motrin, but we were told explicitly in the parenting class we took, and I have read that ibuprofen should never be given to an infant or toddler without the express advice of a doctor.

If anyone else has these problems with Restless Legs and drugs affecting dopamine please let me know. I'm just miserable sitting here waiting to get back to a doctor to treat my hernia/GERD with a drug that won't cause such an odd, and very rare, reaction in me. It was really frightening!
#90 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 04:54 PM

yes, I have come across people who have proudly told me that when they need some "me" time at night, they give the child Benadryl to knock him out early.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page