"Drugging" Baby - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post
yes, I have come across people who have proudly told me that when they need some "me" time at night, they give the child Benadryl to knock him out early.
WTF?!?! Some people. :

Proud WOHM veggie mom to Alina 7/29/05 & partner, Jackie, since 2001, m/c 1/2009
#92 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 08:32 PM

Wow, I read through this and cannot believe parents would do this regularly! Don't you know that tolerance gets built? That livers start hurting? That when the medicine is actually needed it isn't going to work? We flew back to the US in Sept 2005. Now meds for the awfully long trip for that. When we got to Texas though, both of us had serious jet lag and were sneezing and coughing up a storm. So DD and I got doses of cold meds and went to sleep. (Prescribed prior to trip...I always get sick during trips) I would have never given DD meds just for the heck of it. I thought long and hard what to do. This time around she is much older, so I am all for going through our "sick" routine of tea, baths and hot water bottles to get to sleep. Plus I'll be pregnant. If I get sick I'm SOL in the medicine dept.
#93 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think I'm gonna be sick.

I could never do that to my kids. My kids are so amazing and I'm priviledged and awed to be their parent, I could never harm them in this way.
#94 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 PM

i drugged my ds with breastmilk
#95 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 PM
kdf

I think I have already posted my feelings on this but my friend was just telling me that she gives her dd Tylenol just so she will sleep that makes me so sick. Find another way to help them sleep. I am very proud to say that my ds is drug free. I can't believe when parent do this

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#96 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 PM

One more thing...who on earth would think it is okay EVER to give adult meds to a child. I'm not talking about the dimetapp that the whole family can take and has special doses for everyone. I'm talking about people like the sitter who gives adult meds to a kiddo. That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard .

Once the date gets closer (April-ish) I am going to post a thread asking about natural ways to help my girly ease over Japan-Oklahoma jet lag. I hate doing this to her, but it's the last time we have to make that loooong trip. (And me 7 months pg at the time : )
#97 of 113 Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 PM

I've read that studies prove giving Benadryll doesn't help kids go to sleep faster or sleep longer. I have, however, read that it can calm them.

Quote:
It is called Mellatonin.
Hell yeah. Melatonin has been given to pregnant women in doses of up to 75mg. It is routinely used to treat even very young children, around age 2, who have sleep disturbances. It has no side effects other than drowsiness. For some reason I got shit for taking it during my pregnancy/while nursing/etc (from the same people who routinely slip their kids benadryll and whatnot to try and get them to sleep).

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#98 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42
I've given infants Tylenol a couple of times to help teething and it coincidentally helped her sleep. Does that count? First I tried Hylands but that doesn't seem to work with DD's molars.
That's what we do, and no, I don't see that as the same thing at all. When my dd is teething, all heck breaks loose. She cries and cries and cries, and she'd ganw her own hand off if you let her. The poor thing is just stinkin' miserable when she's cutting teeth -- so much so, in fact, that I told our ped we'd be throwing a party when all her teeth were in. He laughed, but I'm serious. And I will treasure her teeth when she starts losing them because gosh darn it, those li'l suckers put us all through the wringer! But anyways, when she gets like that and it's from her teeth, I see giving her some Motrin as the humane thing to do. She's in so much pain, so if I can relieve some of that pain so she can get some much-needed rest, I don't see anything wrong with that. After all, teething lasts for weeks around here, and she's not going to benefit from weeks of sleepless nights. We did in fact try holding out on the Motrin once, but then she got so tired (and DH and I, too, of course) that her patience was shot, she cried even more, Mommy cried, Dadddy looked like he was going to lose it, and well, it seemed as if getting a semi-decent night's sleep at least helped her through the days, so that's what we do. It works for us.
#99 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 01:27 AM

I know ppl who give their dc "drugs" (tylenol, benadryl) whenever they have the sniffles, are a little bit cranky, or want them to sleep. My own poor ds is lucky if he gets it when he's teething! (I may err on the side of too much caution)
#100 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i drugged my ds with breastmilk
I love that! Yup, so did I....and I was apparently drugged too because it made me as sleepy as he was.
#101 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 01:56 AM

People used to do this with alcohol. A little sip of the Baileys. A touch of rum or brandy.

My DH grandmother knew a couple of kids when she was young, whose mother would give them alcohol for running errands. Starting when they were babies.

All these children grew up to be horrible drunks, and died of it.

Of course, this round of mothers will cry and beat their chest when their kids are teenagers and have drug and alcohol problems to "deal with their anxiety" to "cool off" etc. And they'll all cry that they don't know why it is happening.
#102 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 AM

OMG, people actually do this??? I find that terrifying. I've heard people talk about Benadryl for a long flight (though I don't know anyone who's ever gone through with it), but NEVER for just your average day! WTH is wrong with people?

I am free with the Motrin for teething (DD2's got 4 molars coming right now, poor baby), but man. And I feel guilty using the TV to get a little "mom" time!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#103 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imvishta View Post
If anyone else has these problems with Restless Legs and drugs affecting dopamine please let me know. I'm just miserable sitting here waiting to get back to a doctor to treat my hernia/GERD with a drug that won't cause such an odd, and very rare, reaction in me. It was really frightening!

I had awful insonmia at different points - and tried the tylenol PM remedy - I had the worst night of my life.
Restless leg syndrom for hours and hours, sobbing even from the way my body felt - crawling and aching, it was Awful.
#104 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM

Believe it or not my dd pediatrician recommended trying the benedryl. She doesn't have any allergies (that we know of). My dh who is a paramedic says that sometimes benedryl actually has the opposite effect on children...you might keep that in mind. I've actually tried the Calmes Forte for Kids which helps for restlessness and such...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
#105 of 113 Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM

Don't know if this has been posted yet...Don't have time to read all posts. But Montel Williams did a show a week ago or a couple of weeks ago about how infants and toddlers have died from being given Benadryl or drugs to help them sleep.

I would sacrafice any amount of sleepless nights to have my son alive. This is coming from a mom of a 3 year old who has never slept more than 5 hours at one time.
#106 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinezuels View Post
I had awful insonmia at different points - and tried the tylenol PM remedy - I had the worst night of my life.
Restless leg syndrom for hours and hours, sobbing even from the way my body felt - crawling and aching, it was Awful.
I soooo feel for you! It's terrible! Although, I will take it sometimes if I go right to bed and think I'll fall asleep, but if I don't then ugh.... Also, the phernagen (sp?) for the nausea... When I was pregnant I was given that (had it before a few times and had the restless legs), and I had to pace the floor for hours!

Actually, don't know if I addressed this in this thread, but I've been having horrible coughing and vomiting (from the cough, not nausea). We've narrowed it down to probably GERD (reflux), but the drug I was initially given affects dopamine (involved with Restless Legs), and my jaw was almost entirely locked-up and I looked like I had some serious defect. It was so scary! I'll be addressing this issue with a neurologist, as well. And, looking into it further in regards to use of antihistimines for DS if he need them, a not uncommon need in our area. I also brought up the issue of dopamine issues causing the coughing, but we're going to look into that after we've exhausted other possibilities.

I'll still take it myself, as I'm kind of in a bad cyle anyway (like taking antibiotics), but DS... I don't think so!

Oh, katherinezuels, if you look through my old posts you can find one on sleep aids (possibly listed specifically as Ambien). Both my sister and I have had really weird reactions to that medication. You might want to see that thread if you're still investigating sleep aids. And, I know some people advocate melatonin, but aside from any issues with depression, I've read that it really only works well for people with big time changes such as a shift change or jet lag, but adds only about 30 minutes to sleep for people without any big time change. This reminds me to try my new delta sleep CD I received for Christmas....

Here's the link to the thread on sleeping, in which my Ambien posts appear, along with some other advice. That's where I heard about the delta sleep CD I've since received. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=568605
#107 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 AM

WTF??? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#108 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 AM

I admit to it. I use breastmilk to drug them constantly. Actually I'm doing it right now with the youngest.
#109 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeartOfRiordon View Post
I admit to it. I use breastmilk to drug them constantly. Actually I'm doing it right now with the youngest.
Fabulous! I did the same thing about an hour ago.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#110 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro_kristin View Post
yes, I have come across people who have proudly told me that when they need some "me" time at night, they give the child Benadryl to knock him out early.
I have friends that DO this on a Regular basis!!!! I ask, "oh, are they sick?" No, just need a little me time! is the response!! I always tell her that if her kids get sick, and the need benedryl, it will not work, then what will she do? She also doubles up on tylenol & motrin as a first resort, not a last resort!
#111 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferhill View Post
Believe it or not my dd pediatrician recommended trying the benedryl. She doesn't have any allergies (that we know of). My dh who is a paramedic says that sometimes benedryl actually has the opposite effect on children...you might keep that in mind. I've actually tried the Calmes Forte for Kids which helps for restlessness and such...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
i abused bendryl in high school (originally took it for an allergic reaction to a medication and found it made me sleepy) to get to sleep when i had horrible insomnia. because of that, bendryl now makes me hyper. not fun.
#112 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post
Fabulous! I did the same thing about an hour ago.
Frankly, I don't think I could keep my sanity without drugging them. I'm mean really, I'm not a saint.
#113 of 113 Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Kind of scary. No, a lot scary. My sil has an autistic son who does not sleep so I can see doing it in that case (if it worked), but not just because Mama is tired or wants some time to herself. Egads!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page