"Drugging" Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so i was at a baby shower the other night and the ladies were talking about getting their 2 year old to sleep longer and how she gives him benadryl. I asked if he had allergies and she said, "No". Apparantly the drugs didnt help him sleep longer like she hoped but when i showed my dissbelief everyone else piped up saying they did the same thing. Some gave tylenol, some triamnic........AHH!!! I said to them that my kids dont even get tylenol till they have a 104 degree fever!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#2 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Banned

That is scary! : I have heard ppl saying that, but thought they were joking.....or maybe I was hoping they were joking.
#3 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 02:48 AM

ive heard of it...............its awful.......... although today i finnaly gave in and gave ds some tylenol for his teething.
#4 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 02:53 AM

Wow...that's nuts...I will say that when dd is teething (molars right now - OW!) I give her Motrin at night to help her sleep - she has a habit of getting all four teeth in a set at once: ...but to drug your kid for no reason??? Scary...
#5 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugchild77 View Post
Wow...that's nuts...I will say that when dd is teething (molars right now - OW!) I give her Motrin at night to help her sleep - she has a habit of getting all four teeth in a set at once: ...but to drug your kid for no reason??? Scary...
thats why i gave ds some.......hes teething all 4 of his cuspids
#6 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum View Post
thats why i gave ds some.......hes teething all 4 of his cuspids
Poor kiddo...I think those hurt my poor dd worse than when she got all her one year molars at once! Hope he gets them all in soon and feels better!!!
#7 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 AM

My parents next door neighbors did this with there dd Till she was like 4-5yo. The mom actually kinda bragged about it to my mom. Telling her how happy she was to find a way to get the dd to sleep thru the night. She went on to say how they always doubled the dose after awhile because the regular dose didnt work any more.

It was tylenol they used.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:09 AM

Its very common from what I'm hearing. We were at my cousins wedding and one of the kids was walking down the aisle ringing a bell, which freaked out my son, and my family was fussing saying he was embarrassing and I should have 'given him some benadryl'. Then they look at us like were crazy when we say we're not drugging our kid. O_o

I work nights and watch Lo during the day and I've been told countless times to give him benadryl to make him sleep so I can get some sleep. >_<

Makes me wonder what mom did to me to calm me down since I was so hyper all the time.......
#9 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 AM

I've heard of lots of folk giving this sort of thing to kids to make them sleep for NO APPARENT REASON, it's different if they are miserable with a high fever or teething but giving it so that they can get more zzzzz time is unacceptable and is child abuse IMO. I don't even know people who are severely sleep deprived due to their child's sleeping or non sleeping habits that do this. It is appalling.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#10 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:14 AM

My dather tried that with me when i was one years old.
It was my first airplane flight. I was a pretty calm baby, so my mom wasn't worried about how I would be on the plane. But dad was one of those new fathers that freaked out over everything. He INSISTED that I be given benedhryl sothat I would be drowsy and calm for the flight.

HA! Instead of knocking me out it made me extremely hyper, and apparently I was all but bouncing off the walls of the plane. Served him right! My mom was so annoyed with him over that one.
#11 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:18 AM

I have to honest -- I have been soooooo tempted. I mean really, really tempted. Especially when my DS goes on a crying jag and a nursing strike and I am just worn out. But I DIDN'T! Mainly because it feels too much like abuse to me.

Yes, I will use medicine when it is appropriate and I will be thankful that it will help my DS sleep. But to drug him on purpose when he is not ill is a line I cannot cross.
#12 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe+lamb View Post
I've heard of lots of folk giving this sort of thing to kids to make them sleep for NO APPARENT REASON, it's different if they are miserable with a high fever or teething but giving it so that they can get more zzzzz time is unacceptable and is child abuse IMO. I don't even know people who are severally sleep deprived due to their child's sleeping or non sleeping habits that do this. It is appalling.

I agree, I'd rather run off 1-2 hours of sleep a night like I do now then drug my poor kid. Makes no sense to me.

I just IM'd mom, (she's a night owl sometimes) and she admitted she tried to give me ny-quil as a kid to slow me up, but it didn't work, I was 10x more hyper.

Dude, my mom drugged me!! O_O
#13 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 AM

I couldn’t in good conscience do that to my DS.

It has never even occurred to me.
#14 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Dal

As I see it, if it is safe to give for allergies, it seems acceptable to use in certain cases in which it would really benefit the child to get some sleep, or in cases in which it might help save the child from trauma. By what logic is it o.k. to give a drug for runny noses but not to give the same drug (for qualities that the drug is known to have) for a child who desperately needs some sleep? I'm not talking about doing this routinely, but in certain rare cases. Why would it be acceptable in cases of teething or allergies but taken as comparable to abuse when it's to help a child get some desperately needed sleep or in hopes of preventing the child from suffering? Just because of how the drug is labelled? What about the herbal pills that are meant to help children calm down and sleep? A lot of parents here have no issue with giving those to their children. Is that abuse too? If a child needs to wake up far earlier than usual for some unavoidable reason, it is abusive to give the child an unhealthy snack that one knows is likely to pep the child up and help the child cope with the lack of sleep?

I know a woman who was depressed and falling apart because she was having endless sleep issues with her son. In her case, using drugs to help him sleep might have been a good idea.I'm not opposed to adults using sleeping pills on rare occassions when it seems warranted and think it's reasonable to think that in some cases, children might prefer this option for themselves rather than a frazzled parent. It also seems preferable to CIO to me and less likely to cause permanent harm so if one feels compelled to use CIO, maybe a softer method would involve helping the child learn a new sleep habit with the use of some drugs -- and at or below the recommended doses. NOT saying I recommend this, btw!!!

Maybe someone could point me to resources about why these drugs are taken to be so harmful. Even so, I don't get why they would be A-OK for teething but absolutely unacceptable for a totally wound up hysterical child who is so freekin' tired but can't fall asleep for whatever reason.

To add: An aid to sleep can be considered a medical reason, as can medication that is meant to relieve or prevent anxiety.
#15 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 AM

I completely agree Dal that if a child is desperately sleep deprived that finding a solution is necessary but under medical supervision, but to drug a child - if I understand the context correctly (maybe the OP can clarify for us) - just so that the parent can have a full 8 hour undisturbed sleep is not acceptable IMO, I understand that with some children sleeping can be a real problem - I had a severe sleeping issue with dd but luckily resolved it with yoga, it doesn't work for everyone but I have never resorted to drugging dd just so that I can get my 8 hours straight - which I haven't had since December 2001 BTW

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#16 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 AM

Sadly, my sister did this with her girls. She may still, I don't know. It's one of those things I just don't talk about with her anymore. I agree that occassional use, during teething or illness is fine, but I think it is a slippery slope to rely on this medicine (whether it be benadryl, tylenol, or whatever) to get a child to sleep, even if that child is wound up and having trouble settling down. There are other ways to help a child to relax that don't involve drugs. In this society, we have such a double standard of telling our teens and young adults to say no to drugs, yet so many people turn to these over the counter drugs with young children. They are not harmless, especially with repeated or even daily use. Even tylenol was not meant to be used every day! Plus, teaching a child to turn to medicine to help them relax and sleep really deprives them of learning these skills on their own.

And, I am speaking from the perspective of a mom who has a boy who, as a baby and toddler fought sleep with every last bit of him. We found other ways to cope. It just never even occured to me to give him medicine anyway. Then, when I found out that my sister did that with her girls, I was appalled. It almost feels like she cheated. Not only that, but her girls are now 6 & 8 years old. The last I knew that she did this was just a couple of years ago. So, they were fully old enough to be aware that they were being "drugged" in order to settle down. What a creepy message to send your kids.
#17 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:24 AM

I used to work with a girl who would do this with her two boys when her and her hubs needed some undisturbed "alone" time if you know what I mean.
#18 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM

It's very common, sadly. I've heard several mothers admit to it. There is NO reason or excuse to drug your child to make it sleep. None.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2 View Post
My parents next door neighbors did this with there dd Till she was like 4-5yo. The mom actually kinda bragged about it to my mom. Telling her how happy she was to find a way to get the dd to sleep thru the night. She went on to say how they always doubled the dose after awhile because the regular dose didnt work any more.

It was tylenol they used.

Wow, that kid's liver has got to be in excellent shape.
:
#20 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 AM

I have a severly autistic five year old son who has severe sleep issues. We have often been told to try benadryl to get him to sleep but I generally don't give him any medication. So, I was very reluctant to try it. BUT... he had allergies to cats, and do to an emergency situation we ended up in a house with four cats, so I gave him a dose during the day. It didn't make him sleepy, and it didn't work on his allergies either.

Anywho, my sons sleep issue have really effected our life. It started to cause arguements between my husband and I, and I really started to resent his night waking. He only slept about an hour of broken sleep a night, and cried the rest of the time. We tried several natural remedies, chiropratic care, diet change and even accupunture. And nothing worked. I eventaully had to look more into actually medicating him. I have to tell myself that it really was for his good. Most days he was to tired to do anything, and he was constantly getting sick. We have a homeopathic doctor and even HE was recommending getting medication. So... we did. We don't give it to him every night. But, it seems to have made a huge difference, even on the nights he doesn't get the medication he will sleep at least four hours (broken up) a night.

I have no idea what the point of this post was. LOL

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#21 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolhagan View Post
I have no idea what the point of this post was. LOL
Can you quote your own post. :P I just remembered (see, what sleep deprevation does to you? Last night was rough) what the point of the post was.. LOL.. I was going to say sometimes giving medication to your child to induce sleep really is necessary.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#22 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 11:30 AM

carolhagan, That must be tough. I know some children who have medical needs just don't sleep. And then they are just miserable and sick all the time. So, in those cases and under a doctors care, I agree with it.

But just to get your "normal" 2 year old to sleep? That's just crazy!

Also, we give dd Benadryl for allergic reactions (always if she comes in contact with peanuts and if she's having a nasty reaction to enviormental allergens) and it ALWAYS makes her hyper! She was up for HOURS after that! I give Tylenol for teething and it does nothing to her but stop the pain. I'm happy she doesn't react to these by being tired.

Mama of three.

#23 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 11:46 AM

My son does not sleep well and my neighbor (unattached/no kids) suggested the same thing. : I'd never consider it, but it's funny because ds is SO resistent to medications that to knock him out for surgery they gave him an adults dose (after a childrens general AND a local). It's right up there with whiskey for teething (from my grandmother)!
#24 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM

I can't think of the convienience use of drugs, especially on children, as anything but sad and extremely negligent.
#25 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalGirlGamer View Post
Makes me wonder what mom did to me to calm me down since I was so hyper all the time.......
Maybe there is a connection there..cough medicine's and things like benadryl got me super super hyper then I usually crashed hard.
Even as a 17 year old it could affect me like that. Then I realized those types of med's were not for me so stopped taking them.
#26 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

>.>

Umm...I gave my DD gravol on a few flights.....I didn't know she was gonna get air sick or not and I really didn't feel like being covered from head to toe with toddler vomit....

GamerGirl: >.> Little OT, Dost thou play.....City of.....????
#27 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM

One of the guys my dh works with ex wife, killed their daughter, doing that. She gave her adult Nyquil (2.5 yrs old) and sent her into liver failure. it's not something to mess around with. I know she gave adult strength but I would think prolonged exposure to the kiddie stuff could do it too
#28 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma View Post
One of the guys my dh works with ex wife, killed their daughter, doing that. She gave her adult Nyquil (2.5 yrs old) and sent her into liver failure. it's not something to mess around with. I know she gave adult strength but I would think prolonged exposure to the kiddie stuff could do it too
Of course it could, bad idea all the way around.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#29 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think if a child's sleep issues are such an issue that a parent needs to drug them to get them to sleep, it should be done under a medical professional's supervision. Just giving a toddler OTC meds for a parent's convenience seems like a bad idea to me. Not to mention the fact that we've only now discovered that Tylenol, which was supposedly so safe, damages livers. What will we find out about some of this other stuff down the road?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#30 of 113 Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 PM

I think medical issues are a totally different issue. But drugging your kids to get them to sleep is a serious issue with seriosu consequences and is abuse IMO. That being said I think it also has to do with a lack of parenting skills, people need to be taught how to teach thier kids sleep habits........Honestly I would give my kids alcohol : (for relaxation not pain management) before I would give them freakin' benadryl. I'm not saying I would do this, but if I had to choose one thats what I would choose. At least I know whats in it and what affect it has on the body and its not full of all sorts of crazy medications i know nothing baout. When I was a kid (not a baby) if we were sick my dad would make us a hot toddy before bed (hot water/lemon juice/honey/whisky) he considered it medicinal use nad on an older child I would to. I will give my kid that to help ease a cold and help them rest before I'll give them a pharmaceutical.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page