bad smell after pee? (no wiping?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read around that a lot of people don't wipe after their children pee in the diaper (unless they sat in it for a long time or something) and so I figured why not? I tried it but I noticed after a few pees and not wiping she gets this really really strong bad smell and gets all red. does anyone else notice this? or have any idea why it happens? I don't think it's yeast related...

so I tried not wiping after I pee a few times (TMI I'm sure!!!) just to see and I noticed the same odor. it's not pleasant in the least. (and I'm not a deoderant/perfume kinda girl so I'm not overreacting) it's very strong. and very foul.

when I do wipe her I use cloth (also cloth diapers except at nightime)and the "solution" is just water and sometimes a drop of teatree oil.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 PM

If she's getting red in her "diaper zone" when you don't wipe then I would go back to wiping.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM

We always wipe (cloth dipes, cloth wipes w/water only), and only have redness if dd poops and I don't catch on for a while. I figure if I was sitting in something that had pee on it, I'd wipe myself off too!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#4 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Yeah. I don't get the 'no wiping' thing. You know what...it reeks!

I always wipe after I pee. I always wipe my children after they pee. Plus they use cloth, so it's not like the pee is absorbed into the diaper away from their little skins.
#5 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The pee serves as a medium for bacterial growth, plus being in a hot dipe = bacteria fiesta!

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#6 of 11 Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitterMama View Post
The pee serves as a medium for bacterial growth, plus being in a hot dipe = bacteria fiesta!
and yet I see so many moms say "urine is sterile" and talk about the benefits of not wiping and of having urine on your skin. but i don't see it... I try to be openminded but I don't get it. te only time i don't wipe (aside from the time I was giving it a try for real) is when dd is super cranky and pissed off or if I'm out and forgot wipes. those are the time I notice the red and irritation/smell.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#7 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 01:52 AM

ok here is what the nurse (who was AP and even talked to me about CDing in a non AP hospital) told me when i asked why not to wipe after every diaper change....

that starting of wiping after every pee from day one will cause their skin to be more sensitive to urine....that is why they tell new mommies (and dads) to only wipe their little girl when they are poopy.....

i dont know what the standard is for little boys....and i don't know about CDing b/c sposies pull the moisture right away from the skin unless it is loaded to the max (like in the AM)

but that is why I don't wipe my DD when she has just wet (but i also stay on top of diaper changes)

Now i have never tried this on myself....nor will i ever...i have a bladder condition so it is very important to keep down there as clean as possible to avoid infections in my already damaged UT and bladder...i actually use toddler wipes (non sented) after every bathroom use (and no i dont flush them)

but i also stay on top of changing DD's diaper frequently (maybe that's why we go through soo many) b/c i am hoping my analness now will spare her the problems i have later in life.....
#8 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post
ok here is what the nurse (who was AP and even talked to me about CDing in a non AP hospital) told me when i asked why not to wipe after every diaper change....

that starting of wiping after every pee from day one will cause their skin to be more sensitive to urine....that is why they tell new mommies (and dads) to only wipe their little girl when they are poopy.....

interesting thought. I will think about it. I'm not sure what I think....

#9 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 02:12 AM

wow. it's never occurred to me to wipe after just pee (unless it's really hot and moist and smelly). then again, i do try to change pretty often and quickly after wetting...

i find when i get a strong smell, my kids aren't drinking enough and the pee's getting too concentrated, but you get this whether you wipe or not.

i've mostly had boys (3 to 1 girl) so that might skew things a bit...
#10 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 AM

We always use a washcloth and plain water. He gets quite a strong odor if we don't. I use a solution of warm water and tea tree soap when he poops.
#11 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 AM

i always wipe dd. there was one time last week that i ran out of wipes when i was out and about and i felt so bad not wiping her...and cleaned her off the moment i got home.

i was incontinent for a while after childbirth (long story...but i had a hole in my bladder) and sorry if tmi but i absolutely REEKED. it was disgusting. because of that i became extra sympathetic to babies in diapers and what it is like to sit in your own urine. not pleasant.

it also became the impetus behind us starting to do elimination communication.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page