hysterical ds, won't throw anything out! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2003, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds will be three in july and for the last week or so, he's been trying to hold on to absolutely everything! Poopy diapers, empty paper cups, used kleenexes, a broken piece of a plastic hair clip etc. I try to get him to throw the item away but that just makes him scream and cry inconsolably. He even went crazy about a small piece of toast crust that fell on a restaurant floor. He wanted to eat it so we wouldn't throw it out. This behavior is strange to me and I haven't seen it before. The only thing he says that is the reason is he dosen't want the garbage man to get it.
There may be one clue as to his clinging to everything. His 15 year old half-sister who usually lives with us has been staying at her moms for the last week and a half. We've had major problems with her and needed a break. She will likely return soon and will at least be here after school today.
Has anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions?
I have spoken to a psycologist and will probably be seeing him soon.
Thank you for any help you can give
#2 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 10:50 AM

bump
#3 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 10:54 AM

I have no advice but I wanted to let you know that I read your post and wish I had some. The only thing I can think of that might help is therapy/family counselling. It might be good for him and the 15 year old. Sorry I have nothing else to offer.

Good luck.

Peace.
#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 AM

Um, at one point I remember not wanting to throw things away cause... I eer... thought everything had feelings and I didn't want to hurt the trash's feeling by throwing it away

I am thinking this is a similar siuation and his imagination has run wild. I would discuss this with him and see what the "garbage man getting it" it about.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2003, 11:50 AM

I just remembered. I got my nephew a book called "I stink!" it is about a happy garbage truck eating yummy trash.. he might like it.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 9 Old 04-19-2003, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your resonses and suggestions. So far we have just been patient and understanding and not forcing him to throw anything out. Granted that is very temporary. We are going to a woman who does Spiritual Therapy( My Mom sees her) on monday. I spoke with her today and she said my son had a past life in the depression era and was not allowed to throw anything out then. It has been triggered just recently. We'll see how it goes.
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would treat it like any other non-negotiable:  just do it.  Calmly and firmly say, diapers go in the trash, and then put them there and move on.  All the dwelling and negotiating and trying to get him to agree to it are not helping him and just prolonging things.  I know there's a very popular train of thought about giving kids choices and control, but for a lot of kids this is overwhelming.  Take the choice out if his hands, throw it away, remain calm, and move him on to the next thing.

Quote:

So far we have just been patient and understanding and not forcing him to throw anything out.

You can be patient and understanding and still thrown things out. 

#8 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 05:01 PM

This is a really old thread.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#9 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good catch! I wonder how it turned out?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page