~~~~May 2004 Mamas ~~~~ Feelin' Thankful it's November ~~~~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emma's temps lookin' good! Wahoootie!

Juice,

ha!

that's all.

No wait, there's more:

a) cds: first of all, I want some of yours and jstars's music. I don't know what or who NWA is. Sounds like trouble. My cd player does not work but when I attempt to get it to, or put something on the computer, last time it was Argentine Tango. Then Bellydance music on the computer. How predictable.

b) Again, predictable: The Big Lebowski! It is the only movie not bellydance related that I own.

c) what was the question? uuuuuuh

oh yeah kids: I have five. My first two I had when I was eleven, twins, that I gave up for adoption but now have them back although one of them is pregnant, making me a gramma. The third is doing time in Utah for illegally entering the country from Uzbekistan. The last two, well you know about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post

c) what was the question? uuuuuuh

oh yeah kids: I have five. My first two I had when I was eleven, twins, that I gave up for adoption but now have them back although one of them is pregnant, making me a gramma. The third is doing time in Utah for illegally entering the country from Uzbekistan. The last two, well you know about here.
You are, like, totally weird.

Me -
listens: Susan Werner (who is coming out with a leftist gospel album in the spring ); American Bluegrass Favorites; and always, always, always, the Music Together CD that has Baila, Baila, Baila on it (much to my dismay, dismay, dismay.)
watches: Probably something made for tv. Seriously, I haven't seen an adult movie in months. Note taken to seek a babysitter ASAP.
offspring: One girlie child born in May 2004 and one of unknown gender in gestation but expected in late January.

editted to add: Serious baby dust for Emma! I hope this is the stickiest!

Off to work.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1 View Post
You are, like, totally weird.

THAT is a compliment! Everybody must check out my personals ad in my blog, tell me what you think.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Els--I think if I weren't already married...: Love the pic!

I think John Mayer heavier things is in my cd player too! I have a hard time listening to that sometimes though as it was the only CD I had w/ me at the hospital the week C was in the NICU after she was born.

I haven't watched a movie in foreeeeever so no clue there.

My oh so two May toddler was born on the 25th and my second dd is 8.5 months old.

Renae---I bet you will totally not be too far from me....PM'ing you! We will get together one of these days.

Cuuuhrazy morning with a full on tears and meltdown all the way back from the park. : The park itself was fun, but oh the transition to going home just can't be done some days. Dh coming home early today so I can run into the city--yay! Only other fun/scary news is E is now totally starting to cruise furniture and started letting go and standing w/o holding on. She is definitely a daredevil baby who doesn't care if she tumbles/falls in her efforts to destroy the house.

toodles poodles as some one of you would say. :

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Blue skidoo, you can too!
It's been that kind of a day. TV on the WHOLE TIME, Rowan took a crappy nap, we're both sick, it sucks. I'll live though...DH will be home in about 2 hours! Woot! And then, even though I am sick, I am hieing my fanny over to the craft store or something. I need safety pins. Yup.
Fun questions!

1.) What CD(s) is (are) in your stereo RIGHT NOW?

Here in the house, we have iTunes on the computer which has been playing Veggie Tales, Tori Amos, and AFI, in no particular order. In the CD player, there is a Carbon Leaf CD (the new one; "love, loss, hope, repeat"), a CD from the Tori Amos box set () and I think a copy of an AFI album I have in the car.
In the CAR, AFI, AFI, AFI!!! Three different albums. Can you tell I'm an obsessed fangirl? I saw them live last Thursday and I am just in total with them right now!
Oh, and we have the Music Together--Fiddle CD playing in random places, too.
Lisa, you made me with the whole Baila, Baila, Baila thing. I think we have that one too.

2.) What is the last non-kid movie you watched?

We watched Freddy vs. Jason on Halloween night! (DH got it for me as a gift, it was $4 at the store! Heehee)
And we watched like three episodes of Lost last night...but that's not a movie, but it's non-kid-related!
I am going to put TBL on my Netflix cue RIGHT NOW! I looooove Grosse Pointe Blank, too.

3.) How many kids do you have and what are their ages?

I have one little one, his name is Rowan and he is a cutie-patootie Mr. Poopy McPooperton. He's 2 and almost-a-half.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:41 PM

i'm kinda feeling the churchy inspiration from this group too (and i think also just having a kid makes me think we should get some sort of spiritual structure in our lives). dh is completely non spiritual/religious. i'm a wierdo because my mom is quaker and my dad catholic. my dad's side of the family is very catholic and all attend church. i'm drawn to both of those churches and would actually love to baptise isaac. my grandma talks to me about it every time i see her doug is completely opposed and i don't think he gets that it is a symbolic family tradition thing for me and not writing in stone that isaac has to be catholic. my sister and i were baptized and neither of us have confirmed. but i still like going to mass. and i can groove on all the yadda yadda ceremonial stuff because the quakers are completely opposite from that. i like both approaches. i want isaac to experience both. actually the only church service he has ever been to was mass. so i keep thinking about starting some 'church' life with him but have yet to *do* anything about it. it will just be me and not dh. although he says he is willing to try the quaker church i seriously doubt he would like the silent meeting part. i've never been to the friends church in portland (any of them) but there is one really close to my house.

interestingly both the built to spill and the thermals albums have some themes of religion. the bts only really has one song but the whole thermals album is like a concept religious examination album. on first listen you would think it was complete sarcasm but there is some self-analysis in there. which *really* surprised me. quite the stretch for hutch. most of it is about the hypocrisy of our government doing completely horrific things in the name of 'god' they have a super cute video on youtube for 'a pillar of salt' linky on their myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/thethermals
<3 looooove them.

i haven't listened to nwa in sooooooo long

sticky sticky for emmalola!!

off to check elsanne's blog
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 PM

"Nugget With Attitude" Gawd, I haven't listened to that since middle school. My older brother was into it then, not me.

Elsanne, I'd let you have my babies any day. :

Um, my answers:

1. I honestly don't remember what's in the cd player currently, but here are some recent things I've listened to: Mike Doughty (of Soul Coughing), Stefan Grappelli, Laurie Berkner, Ladysmith, and a mix my friend gave me mostly of the Be Good Tanyas. In the car it's 99% Laurie Berkner.

2. We just saw Borat in the theater on Friday night. I dunno, I just can't get into him. DH practically died laughing, though. We were supposed to see Little Miss Sunshine but it wasn't the right time.: Also watched Incident at Loch Ness on DVD Saturday. Wow, two movies in one weekend - unusual. That one I liked.

3. Our one-n-only Lily is tied with Sol for the title of oldest May baby , born on May Day 2004.

It is freakin' wetwetwet here. Flooding. Downpouring. Torrential rains.

Re: churches. We've tried the local UU church here twice and it is so HUGE that it doesn't feel right to me. Like really, really big. 2 services and microphones and seats so far away you can't see the pastor. DH was raised UU and we went to the YRUU group in high school together; I dug it. I really wouldn't mind joining a UU church if it weren't so darn big.

Sarah
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 PM

Churchy: I guess I grew up knowing "good churchy people" and "bad churchy people", and boy, the good ones were *amazing* and the bad blew my socks off. A lot of UUs are actually freaked out about the word "church" (including many at my CHURCH which is why we call it a fellowship... no biggy to me) I know it's hard to get beyond the bad to see the good though, sometimes. (with apologies to Jacquie and Beth, not wanting to malign the word "chuch"--I count you as "good" churchy people ).

On the questions:

(1) They Might Be Giants "Here Come the ABCs" (to which I am addicted, and I sing the vowel song *all the time* ). I also listen to whatever dh is listening to, and he's a hip artist/designer type, so I'm sure I'm just as cool as y'all but not intentionally.

(2) Uh... I think it was Hotel Rwanda. (We did watch some Wallace and Gromit with T, does that count as adult?)

(3) T is almost 5 1/2 (ds), Z is almost 2 1/2 (ds), L is 6 mos.

Els, you are CRAZY. I think we should have a contest to see who can write Elsanne an even *better* ad.

EL, I'm really thinking toward you.

I'm getting my panties all in a wad about the election. Did 8-9 hrs of phone banking this weekend, and my house looks like a disaster as a result. :
Old 11-07-2006, 12:37 AM

emmalola- lots and lots of it!

elsanne-love your personal ad.

KK-yea for you doing phone banking! I'm excited that our votes will actually count this year (as opposed to the years we were in texas.) I love election day...though much of the drama is gone for me as I did an absentee ballot. I'll probably watch all the election news on TV though. I'm a dork that way.

I should have mentioned that we play the Music Together Fiddle here ALOT as well as Sticks and Veggie Tales. And, we discovered today that G actually knows words to the songs we sing! We actually sort of sang a song around the table at dinner time!

G's new words/phrases are "Not really, mom" (sounds like "not reddy, mom), "Sometimes __" (fill in the blank... I play soccer, I race cars, etc.) and "I did it." His language is just growing by leaps and bounds. It's quite amazing thinking that I was listening to some of you talk about your uber-talkers a few months ago and thinking G would forever just say "no" and "mama." He CAN communicate!

DH is leaving tomorrow morning to go to a clergy retreat in Colorado Springs (about 4 hours from here.) So, we're on our own until Thursday late afternoon. DH hasn't been gone overnight since we moved here, so this will feel a little odd.

Okay, off to enjoy some TiVo since it's the last night I don't have bedtime duties for a couple days.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 AM

CDs: in the car: John Mayer (not the new one, but not the oldest one either... can't remember the name of the album), Guster (Ganging Up On the Sun), some mix that Bill made, some other Guster album, and Barenaked Ladies (Are Me -- the new one, which i find hysterically funny, especially the song about the bank robbery). no CDs in the house currently as our DVD/CD player died many months ago and i don't know how to use the dang playstation to play the DVDs. and bill has rhapsody so we tend not to buy CDs anymore, either.

movies: i don't remember the last adult movie i've watched. i haven't been to a movie theater since early june 2004, except for the penguin movie that i only got to half pay attention to at a second run movie theater/beer house because marek was with me.

We have two boys: Marek is the youngest (and unofficial May04 babe) born on June 8th. Stefan is our new babe, born Sept 16, 2006.

time to eat dinner...

~claudia
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 AM

: :
Ah ahb sooooooo sig, nmabas...
(translation for the stuffy-nose-speak: "I am SO SICK, Mamas!" )
I'm the sick that is so stuffy I can't stop blowing my nose, but it doesn't help. My nose hurts. My head is allll stuffy and I feel like poooooop! But I am about to dose myself up with NyQuil and go to bed. Haha. I will kick this before I leave Thursday night! Yep...*ugh*
Rowan's nose is still running really badly too; at bedtime he was trying to nurse but couldn't breathe, so he unlatched and said "I need a tissue, mama!" I think it's great that he can tell me that now.
Soooooo much talking. Somehow, it seems to go with the fact that he's completely stopped LISTENING to me. Or at least it feels that way.
Yeah, it was a looooooong day! Tomorrow looks like much of the same. Wheeee. Whee.
Though I might take him at least to the library or like the mall or something, so we don't kill each other.

Mike Doughty is ! I saw him in concert a few months back. I have always loved him (and Soul Coughing, who I saw live in SF many years ago!) and I just put a bunch of his stuff on my iPod this evening for the car ride to PA. It's a-gonna be a LONG one; I don't exactly get along with my MIL's sister, and she's riding with us!

Many many sticky y vibes to emmalola!

I have to go read Elsanne's blog now too. I have been blogging up and down the internet lately, I have actually been using my MySpace blog which is SO unlike me. It's because I'm stalking AFI. I am so fifteen years old!
I have felt so out of touch with the internet lately, and I am trying not to let it eat all my time like it used to before the 'puter broke. But it's hard. I feel like I haven't read anything in AGES online. Ah well.

That's all from me. I have to go to bed. Hope you all have a wonderful night! I love reading all the answers to the questions. NWA, OMG! I had a friend in junior high who listened to them. I never really did. I was a hair-metal sort of girl back then.

Oh, who am I kidding? I still secretly lust after Sebastian Bach!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 AM

Does it really stand for "Nuggets with Attitude"? Does Nuggetsmom know about this?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 AM

Nah Els, it's the OTHER n-word.

And have you really never heard of them? Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E (RIP).... they are the founders of gangster rap. hence, you can see why I was surprised that the Nugg with Attitude listens to them.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 AM

: I really have never heard of them. I am so not into gansta rap. And yes, I'm surprised too then that Nugget with Attitude has them in her playa!!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 PM

Elsanne... That would rule if it was "Nuggets with Attitude"! Hee!
I never listened to them much either, but growing up Mexican in California exposed me to a bit of the gangsta rap, even though, um, I mostly grew up in the suburbs!
Yeeeeah.
I have also been listening to a lot of Laurie Berkner lately. Yay. She's at least one of the cooler kid's musicians! I own Raffi too though! :
I have TMBG's "No!" and we it, but I need the ABC one now too, I hear it's awesome. DH and I think that ALL TMBG is kid's music though!

I am still soooooooooooooooooo (add about a million "o's" to that!) SICK. : SO it's another lazy television day. We'll snap back to ourselves over the weekend/next week. I hate staying home but I literally have NO energy to do much else. I may take Rowan into the basement later to do some sort of easy art project, but that will be the extent of it. *sigh*

Just checking in. Off to prepare some tea and use the bathroom. You all needed to know that. Have a great day mamas, or at least, a better one than I am currently having. :
Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM

Nuggets with Attitude :
I love that.

to EL

I just wrote a paragraph explaining my music choices but I have decided to let it remaina mystery and a personality quirk for you to ponder over. Just think of the lady in slack and a shirt in her station wagon...

Els - you are funny.

I am supposed to be working right now so I will get back to that.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:38 PM

wow els!! you funneh

i heard the heartbeat!! 170 bpm : my fears are eased. at least for now. i'm getting the GD test early (greeeeat). and she gave me a blood sugar control diet. NO PASTRIES??????? (until the afternoon). omg. i just discovered this new boulangerie a few blocks from my house and have been there 2 times in 2 days for breakfast. no pastries?????????

i actually think my baby was big because my husband is big. but whatev.

my favorite current toddler pronunciations are:
soo-sac (music). i want to listen to the soo-sac
and another one i can't think of right now. but it will come to me
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Wait... you're not even to the end of the 1st tri, and a GD test? : He wasn't *that* big, was he? No one has ever given me any crap about the size of *my* babies (though I have always been asked to do the GD thing, because of my AGE, but that was ~28 wks). (I really do feel like I am preprogrammed to produce 9 1/4# babies which pop out at 42 wks, +/- 2-3 days.)

Congrats on the hb. That's one of my favorite things about pg.

EL, you have to let us know asap tomorrow after you poas.

Renae, feel better!!!!

I am very anxious about the election... I guess Jacquie and I are twin election dorks.

I have to share what someone said about L when I was phone-banking last weekend: "She's as cute as a Cabbage Patch Kid fresh out of the box!"
Old 11-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
"She's as cute as a Cabbage Patch Kid fresh out of the box!"

AWwwwww! Cuteness! She sure is especially cute.

I've been participating in this modern dance workshop intensive over the last few days and Amara goes with; we are having fun! She is such a good baby. She lays there and watches. Although each day that goes by she requires more and more attention to be there...like she's getting used to the "drill". I just love taking a class, of any kind, by which I mean the kind that I take for fun and not for credit.

Jstar--no pastries? Bummah. Was there ever a food more designed to just be velcroed to one's thighs and butt cheeks?

I'll leave you all with that visual.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Was there ever a food more designed to just be velcroed to one's thighs and butt cheeks?

no there was not! imagine one huge cream cheese croissant on each buttcheek

i don't really mind in that i would want to know if i had gd (although it does strike me as paranoid to do it this early). what i think will happen though is this: fail 1hr test at 16w. go take torturous 3 hour test. maybe pass. fail 1hr test again at 28w. take stupid 3 hr again. maybe fail maybe not. who knows. i just hate blood tests. almost as much as pap smears

isaac was 9lb 3oz and my grandpa was diabetic/insulin injector. so i guess that was her concern.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i heard the heartbeat!! 170 bpm : my fears are eased. at least for now. i'm getting the GD test early (greeeeat). and she gave me a blood sugar control diet. NO PASTRIES??????? (until the afternoon). omg. i just discovered this new boulangerie a few blocks from my house and have been there 2 times in 2 days for breakfast. no pastries?????????

i actually think my baby was big because my husband is big. but whatev.

my favorite current toddler pronunciations are:
soo-sac (music). i want to listen to the soo-sac
and another one i can't think of right now. but it will come to me
OOooooh congratulations. (I'm still getting a feel for who's pg and who's trying etc OK, the GD test - how big was yer last baby?? My most recent was 10 lbs 9 oz., I've always been GD-. Or did you actually have GD last time? I just wonder b/c I know the GD test is only accurate in a short window - I think it's 26-29 weeks but I'd have to look it up. I wouldn't want to take a test that was invalid by definition.

Quote:
EL, you have to let us know asap tomorrow after you poas.
I am very anxious about the election... I guess Jacquie and I are twin election dorks.
So much : for Emmalola!

I too am anxious about the election. I know a lot of people who chose to vote absentee because they were worried about the electronic voting. But I'm just as worried about the counting of an inordinate number of absentee ballots, KWIM? Uuuuugggghhhhh.

Quote:
Jstar--no pastries? Bummah. Was there ever a food more designed to just be velcroed to one's thighs and butt cheeks?

I'll leave you all with that visual.
Thanks : I'll just have to imagine pastries strapped to my a$$ from now on.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 PM

jstar, x-posted. I think that much testing is ludicrous. But I am a SERIOUS needlephobe, so keep that in mind. The 3-hr GD test almost killed me - much worse than labor IMO.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
I too am anxious about the election. I know a lot of people who chose to vote absentee because they were worried about the electronic voting. But I'm just as worried about the counting of an inordinate number of absentee ballots, KWIM? Uuuuugggghhhhh.
move to oregon! i think we are still the only state with ALL vote by mail.

jstar: the testing for glucose tolerance at this early stage seems a little off to me... doug is tall and quite built, and i, too, think that's why isaac was big. and we all know you make cream and not just milk, given isaac's height and general all around bigness, so you need those pastries, goshdarnit!

els: pastries taped on the buttcheeks... :

juice: a rundown of the pregnant may mamas:
most recently not pregnant a second time after giving birth in mid-sept: me
due next: A&L+1's partner due in january, fiddlefern in february, jstar in early june
currently trying: Jacqueline (aka Jacquie) and emmalola
most fertile city for may mamas: portland, oregon, where 3 of the 4 may mamas living here have or are expecting a second baby. (not really the most fertile city, just the highest number of may mamas living in the same city, with the bay area coming in next with 3 may mamas)

off to finish my vote by mail ballot...

~claudia
Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia View Post
move to oregon! i think we are still the only state with ALL vote by mail.
AND you aren't allowed to pump your own gas!! At least last time I was there. I was up from NM, on my way to Seattle, and I stopped at some out-of-the-way station and tried to just Fill'er Up. This guy came RUNNING out of the station, waving his arms, yelling, "You can't do that here!!!" I thought I was gonna get shot. Then eventually he told me Oregon was all Full-Serve, which made a lot more sense than what I'd been thinking.

Thanks for the MMF expectancy rundown. Don't think I won't be referencing that post for the next few months!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 PM

ok there were some other things that rubbed me wrong at my visit today but it might be more appropriate for the yg. but after talking to my coworkers i think my bad vibes are pretty justified. so maybe i won't be going back. or at least voicing my concerns at the next appointment and THEN not going back if i'm not satisfied. i think maybe i should have just stuck with my ob.

i didn't know the gd test wouldn't be accurate this early. thanks for the info miss juice
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 PM

um, so, I don't have access to the YG yet... am I cool enough for someone to PM me with that?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Um, I dunnoooooo....
TurboClaudia knows the scoop.

JuicyJones I am just dying to see a photo of thine countenance. I can't imagine the goofy girl behind your words.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:11 AM

Elsanne, you kill me. Don't think I haven't noticed you never call me the same thing twice. A while ago my DH had to ask me, "Why does our google window say 'penis synonym'?"
Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 AM

since elsanne has vouched for your ever-so-coolness, i sent you a pm with yg info, juice. :

so if you are lying, els, then i shall have to send you to the vegan nunnery for some new training.

~claudia
Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 AM

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE can I go to the vegan nunnery? They don't allow kids there, do they? How long can I stay??????

User Tag List