September 04 Mommas -- Gobble Gobble November is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 11-01-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ribbit Ribbit!

I can't believe I am the first! That never happens!

Becca ~ Looks like your Halloween was great fun. A toddler party sounds like much more fun than trick-or-treating!

Here are pictures of my clan :

http://flickr.com/photos/kristinb769/

The beards were off before we even got started!

Hope everyone had a fun Halloween

K
#2 of 121 Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM

Checking in - busy, busy here! Halloween was loads of fun w/ way too much candy for 2 little girls!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#3 of 121 Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#4 of 121 Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Happy Halloween to everyone (err a day late that is). I've been spending this afternoon catching up on the thread. will post more later tonight.
#5 of 121 Old 11-01-2006, 10:54 PM

Kristen - SUPER cute costumes!! I LOVE the pix of everybody's tummy!! too cute, your lil family. the pumpkin patch looks like good times too.

I spent my walk this morning plotting Thanksgiving...I think I'm going to send out "save the date" emails and pre-empt everyone by claiming the hostess spot!! I'll NEVER get to host Thanksgiving in the US, and I am excited to do it MY way once or twice! I have big plans that involve a mid-afternoon game of kickball too...Just have to find some grass somewhere.... I can't believe it's November already!!
#6 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 AM

Kristin -- The costumes are so great. I would love it if a troop of gnomes showed up on my doorstep for Halloween! You look great, too, and your belly is so lovely and glowing.

Thor was dressed as a cute pumpkin for Halloween and now is totally obsessed with "cannny" of course. He asks for it all the time. One of the not-so-nice attributes of the holiday, I guess. We trick or treated at about 3 houses and everytime someone answered the door he tried to walk right in!

Things have been exhausting around here lately. DH has been working 12+ hour days and I have been so incredibly tired, and headachey sometimes. I seriously think that maintaining patience and trying to be lovingly interactive to my two babies is like the hardest thing I've ever done. And Thor woke up at 5:45 this morning to boot. Ugh. Oh, and Anna has developed a cry that sounds like a banshee. OMG it is so loud -- Tony said the thought it was over 100 decibles.

OK -- complaining over. Other than those minor annoyances, life is good and tonight at dinner DH announced he wanted 4 kids and I actually entertained the idea.

Meg - how was greg's dr. appointment? I've been thinking about you guys.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#7 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 AM

subbing

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#8 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM

I have a question and know you guys will give me some good feedback.
I'm going to get Robin a "baby Jess" doll from Joy's Waldorf Dolls. I want to get one with her characteristics - eye and hair color, etc. She loves babies, dolls, etc. and I think it will be fun for her to "mother" while I'm taking care of the real baby, and the dolls are really nice quality.

Apparently the company will add specific features or marks if you request. I'm really torn about whether or not too ask them to add flesh-colored stitches beside her eye to replicate her scar. On the one hand, it's a permanent part of her, one I've come to love and usually not even notice, one she has to live with and accept forever, and it might be good for her to see the same in her "baby". We're meeting all new people, and people usually ask about it at some point, so she's heard me answering these questions - recently she pointed to her cheek and said, "dog bite me" (not traumatized, just telling the story and trying to sort it out).

On the other hand, SHe doesn't look in the mirror so often that she sees it and think about it often - I'm sure for her it's just part of her face. She never says it's a Boo-boo, like she does with scabs or insect bites she has. Perhaps putting it on a doll would just make it a more present thing for her than it is now.

I want her to embrace it as part of her, but not make her feel like she's got a "thing" on her face. I have a prominent scar on my forehead, and when I was a kid I thought it was super cool and made me different. But I was older (4ish) when I got it, so I remember all the details. I would have liked something that was supposed to look like me to have my scar. But I'm kinda weird too... What do you guys think?

Augustine - hugs, mama. hope the stressful times are temporary - is Tony going to be working such long hours for a long time? It's amazing how much different parenting by yourself is than parenting with somebody else there. Patience is often the first thing to go for me. I think I really need to "tag out" for a while every day - although Clint now *dodges* my hand so I can't tag out! At least you know Anna's got "healthy lungs" - whatever that means.

I did miss trick or treating - we didn't get any candy to speak of. Although i did buy Robin M&M's last week (after she told my mom on the phone, "Nana, I come to your house. You buy me M&M's" - my mom has a hidden stash - I bought them and said they were from Nana). She got 2 peanut M&M's in a plastic bowl after her nap each day.
#9 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM

subbing

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#10 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 PM

Hey Ladies!

Subbing from the land of TWO (Lulu and Gingi). Wow. It's VERY INTENSE having two. I feel like a hero everyday. And I have to work, work, WORK on cultivating patience.

Gingi's now 3 months old and a dear. She's so much easier than Lulu was, so I can't complain. Sleeps well (waking just once a night/twice a night) and eats like a queen -- she's already 15#. She's wearing the same clothes that Lulu just grew out of (Lulu's very petite, still 24#).

Lulu's had a hard time losing a little bit of mommy to the new baby, but we've finally regained our equilibrium. It helped when my DH took over night feedings with Gingi (we feed organic formula to her -- works great -- I hate expressing milk). And then I co-sleep with Lulu all night long. So much fun -- like a slumber party. Seriously, and I get such good sleep.

That's all for now. I have to put them down for nap. believe it or not, I can usually actually get them down to sleep for 1-2 hours a day/SIMULTANEOUSLY. A break!!!!!! Ahhhh! But don't ask me how

OK- I'll tell ya! I am the biggest proponent of co-sleeping and NO CRIBS but I was becoming exhausted ... SO I dragged up a "playyard" from the basement (another thing I think of as essentially a "cage.") and set it up in Lulu's room a few weeks ago. I had been co-sleeping with her at nap time, which took FOREVER to get her to sleep, with tons of fights, etc! Now I just put her and her fav pillows in there and cover the top to make it cozy (we have skylights so it's very bright in her room), and she falls asleep right away for two hours. And Gingi? I put her in a mechanical swing! Yup! And me? I can sleep or watch Arrested Development (buying a dvd player was another concession to two kids we made -- we had been a strictly no media household).

Anyway, much love
Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#11 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM

Whoops - thought I should transfer this reply to the new thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
I will, however, never be able to deal with the scripted Waldorf notions when it comes to sleep. Everyone says that our children need 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep, 7-7. Many say it has to do with liver function. I understand the liver function thing... but if I put my kid down at 7, he gets up between 4 and 5 AM, and he's too young to be told that he needs to lie in bed and go back to sleep, because he simply won't stay there. So... for this I am at a loss.
The two sleep books I read, said that enforcing the earlier bedtime will actually cause your baby/toddler to sleep LATER in the morning, rather than get up earlier. And it actually turned out to be true for us when we had the sleep issues with Alex. We put him to bed between 7-7:30, and he wakes up 12 hours later on his own. Also, I think a heavy-duty blackout roller shade for the window helps, especially with the sun coming up earlier.

I have to say though that we recently went through some sleep issues again with Alex, and I think it had to do with him being "done" with his crib. He basically threw a gigantic tantrum one night about a week ago upon going to bed, and he always went down for bed peacefully before. He was jumping up and down in the crib, cactching some serious 'air.' Dh and I were beside ourselves because nothing was working so we left the room for a few minutes to get our cool. We heard an enormous THUD moments later and raced up stairs to find Alex just standing there in his room. He basically had vaulted right out of the crib. Needless to say, that was the end of that. We put the mattress on the floor and he went to sleep. We got a toddler bed a few days later and the moment he stepped on it, he stood up and jumped a few times and then 'threw' himself down, headlong, facing the footboard before either of us could catch him. He hit his head, and it was a miracle he wasn't more seriously injured. He basically hit it with his mouth OPEN and left a lovely imprint of his teeth in the wood. He had a fat lower lip, but no broken teeth and no blood or broken skin. I told him if he jumped or ever so much as STOOD on the bed again, that he would get a spanking. Now when he goes to bed each night he touches the teeth marks and says, "Ouch, teeth. Dangerous."
#12 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM

Wow, Stacy, OMG on the crib/bed incidents with Alex! Celia never really slept in a crib. She did our bed, her cradle, our bed and then a twin bed as soon as she could climb in and out of it with a stool. She sleeps all night in her bed if I promise to read her stories in the morning. Then she holds me to that at about 6:30 am.

So, my update..... it's over. Greg came home Monday night and announced the doctors in Rochester thought they could fix the 'tunnel' in his heart with the device (a little barbell like metal thing) via a catheter running up the vein near his groin. 24 hours in the hospital, at the most. He thought that sounded so great, he signed right up and came home to tell me we could go down with him, or he'd ask his mom to take him. Okey-dokey; we packed our bags!

We left Tuesday evening for the Mayo, checked Greg in at 6:15 am on Wednesday and he was done and in recovery by 2 pm. : He is thrilled. We just got home tonight (Thursday) and Greg is doing well. A little tired, but walked into and out of the hospital, no problem.

I'm almost having a hard time believing this could go so well. The downside to having chosen this procedure was that we really don't know how well this little device will work in the long run- they've only been doing it for about 4 years, in about 600 people. And because Greg made the decision so quickly, we had no time to research or get second opinions. I suppose it means that at some point, more work may need to be done, or open heart surgery. But for now we are all home, well, and I could cry every two minutes, I'm so grateful.

I'm loving hearing about those of you with two children at home now! I can't believe that will be me so soon. I would imagine it takes a lot of patience- I certainly hope I find some of that!! Cecilia is so fun but 'two' can also be so trying.

Becca; for Robin's doll- I don't know if I'd put the scar on. Her scar is unique to HER, while her doll shares characteristics with her, it doesn't have to be just like her- kwim? But I can also see how she might be tickled to find that her doll has a scar like her. How 'bout a little scar somewhere else on the doll? Not exactly like Robin, but similar.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#13 of 121 Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 PM

Meg - -that's AWESOME. As long as the device works for now, if Greg does need something more later you can do it at a less crazy time. I hope he takes care for a couple weeks until all is fixed up. That must be such a releif.

Becca -- I think I second the scar somewhere else idea. That way it will be something "common", but shouldn't make her self concious about it.

Those of you with two babes sound like you are doing amazing. I am terrified / excited about having two.

My biggest worry right now it that I"m going to have to fight with Andrew about nursing the baby and not him. The other day I was reading a labour / delivery / early baby care book, and there was a picture of a crying baby. And I was telling Andrew about how we help crying babies -- nursing, walking in a sling, cuddling, etc. And all of a sudden Andrew is no longer a big boy (he has been saying "not baby" since he was about 18 mos whenever we called him one, and saying "I'm a big boy" for months now), but a little baby. He will lie down and say "little baby sleeping in bed" or "little baby crying" or "mommy feed her little baby". I think we are going to have some serious regression issues on our hands. But maybe he'll have processed it already by the time the real little baby gets here. We'll see.

My SIL is in labour today, but last I heard she wasn't dialated or anything yet, so she was labouring at home. Still, I'm excited to find out about Andrew's first cousin on that side of the family will be like. Especially since all his cousins on the other side of the family are teenagers and adults. I hope she has an ok labour -- she's two weeks early, but she's about 5'4 and her hubby is 6'8 and built like a tank.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#14 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 AM

Meg: Yippie for you and some peace of mind! I'll still keep sending my positive thoughts your (hubby's) way.

Any ideas on how to get E to let the chiro adjust her? The last time we went she screamed and cried for 35 minutes, and every time he came into the room she said, "A monster. You're scaring me!" This chiro is an old friend, and he admits to being called a lot of things--but never a monster.

Samantha

#15 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillMtnMama View Post
Hey Ladies!

Wow. It's VERY INTENSE having two. I feel like a hero everyday. And I have to work, work, WORK on cultivating patience.
Liz, I had to laugh when I read this because I could've written it. In fact, I think I did write nearly these exact words in my blog. I totally do feel like a hero, especially when we have days that go very well -- when I feel like I've equally divided my attention between Thor and Anna, I've read to Thor, sung to him, played with him. And I've cuddled Anna, nursed her lots, talked to her. Normally I am able to do those things but I have had two or three times when I've snapped at Thor, or been very impatient with him throughout the day. Once was recently, and I yelled at him, and he cried, I could tell it hurt his feelings, and I felt so awful. I swooped him up and sat on the couch with him, in tears myself, and apologized. Sigh.

Normally it isn't that hard, though, and talk about cultivating patience... I'm starting to get a garden full!

Meg -- That is SOOOOOOOO great about Greg. What a relief!!

Becca -- Hmmmm.... I really don't know what I'd do about the scar. I almost think I'd leave it off of the doll. I really don't know why I say that, though. Maybe just to not draw attention to it, but I can see how that personal touch would make it very special...

Jilly -- Thor has regressed a tiny bit, but really not that much. He does often want to be put in Anna's carriers, or get in her swing, or play "rockababy" as he says. And as you know it did nurse both of them for a while. Thor still asks to nurse maybe once a day but he does it for about 10 seconds and then says "All done." One thing that occurred to me is that I think that my making a big deal about him stopping nursing actually made him want to more, kwim? After I had thrush and he hadn't nursed for a week or more I was like -- oh no, I CAN'T let him nurse again now, because he'll start all over again! And sure enough, he did ask, and DH said I shouldn't let him, but I figured maybe he was just curious. So I just quietly let him, and he latched on for a couple seconds and then stopped and looked at me and said, "All done nurses." He's done that a couple more times recently but he never gets a letdown and doesn't drink milk. It's almost like he wants to know he can if he wanted to, but he doesn't really want to... wow, that's confusing. For Thor, weaning is such a long process, I'm finding out! And that's fine.

#16 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 AM

Meg- I am so glad for you and Greg that this phase is over. I have been thinking about you. And yes, it is intense with two, but the part I did not mention: two kids is better than one. period. At least for me. There are some very big hurdles (you never, ever get a break during the first crazy eight weeks and your two year old's emotional adjustment) but I love having two.

For me, the battle I faced with being a SAHM with one child (from infancy to toddler) was MONOTONY. Believe me, with two, I am never bored! I love that the interaction is more complicated that just two people (me and Lulu) home alone together. That got stale fast for me. There is a lot of joyful chaos. Like, how do you hug a newborn and a rambunctious toddler simultaneously? How do you take a wild, runaway toddler outside safely while caring for your one month old? It's scary and hard at times, but much more fulfilling for me. And Lulu and I always have something to talk about and do (care for and play with the baby!!).

Jill - I look at "regression" as a good thing. There is an old phrase from psychoanaysis: "regression in the service of the ego." I think that when our toddlers regress it is in the service of their little developping selves. I trust it.

I think that a little bit of regression is a great thing that serves to bolster and strengthen and relax us. I tend to, with Lulu, encourage regression. It is her way of soothing herself with the birth of a new sister and the loss of mom and dad (albeit partial).

We've had several dinners where Lulu crawls into the baby carriage and I rock her and feed her by hand. We all giggle and laugh about it, yet Lulu also gets this little blissful, relaxed look I rarely see these days. Whenever I can I put Lulu on the boppy and play rock her and call her my little baby. Now, granted, this is in a context of an extremely independent little two year old. But, I know I love to regress, so why shouldn't she? It's over in a few minutes and she goes back to being a big girl. And I feel it is her way of processing her loss of infancy and serves to ultimately make her more independent.

I will say the hard part for us about having two kids is the immense stress it puts on us as a couple. As I said, we have no break time. I rarely get to spend time with my DH. We each co-sleep with one girl, so we don't even get to be side by side at night (so no wordless, unconscious sleep bonding -- so essential). And the demands of two are so very high, we both put the stress onto each other. We've fought quite a lot and its very sad. Now, that is not inevitable, but I will say two showed the real weaknesses of our relationship, such as very poor communication, and how time should be used, etc. etc. We've tried couples therapy, but it hasn't done much at all. We love each other so much and are both devoted to each other, so I generally have faith there will be a way though this as a couple.

OK, must sign off.

Love
Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#17 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM

Hi AugustineM! Fellow hero! Yes, I know those outbursts. I've basically learned, since Gingi was born, of the value of apologies! I see that when I lose my patience with Lulu it really helps her if, when I am calm, I go over and say I am sorry. She seems to appreciate that. It's always so stupid what I lose it over. The most recent was I had (heroically ) prepared a fantastic homecooked meal for all, dealt with projectile vomiting (because the way my DH had picked up the baby! THANKS) and had a lovely table laid out for all. Just as we are sitting down, Lulu knocks over an enormous glass of water from DH's place all over the table. I said %*%*%&%! And then regained my calm. But it was super idiotic! She was just trying to have a drink of water and the big glass got the better of her! I find that my losses of patience mainly stem from fatigue and occur at the witching hour (3-5 pm). Liz
so glad Anna and Thor are doing well...

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#18 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM

Liz - I think there are natural highs and lows in any relationship, but the first few months after my second was born were excrutiatingly difficult. I think maybe it was the totality of the experience w/ having 2 kids - the absolute lack of time together, etc. There were times a truly thought we wouldn't make it. Hang in there.

Meg - that's so wonderful about Greg - what an incredible relief it must be!

Stacy - I have to admit I giggle everytime I think about those tooth marks - poor baby!

Becca - I vote for adding the scar. My mom made me and my brother dolls when we were little and she added personal physical features - freckles and butt dimples for me . I loved it - it made my dolly seem almost mystical.

Back to work...

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#19 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

As I prepare to give birth to my fourth, this discussion is reminding me of the wonder of learning as a parent and how incredible our little teachers are!

Augs ~ Patience is NOT my virtue and on top of that I come from a family where lashing out in a mean way is standard operating procedure. I have learned to find grace in the undignified way I throw my own tantrums when I am tired/stressed/overwhelmed/lonely for adults. I have decided that I want my children to witness all of me, including my imperfection. When I behave like a tired mama, I want them see it, question it, accept it -- to welcome my human-ness. After all, I am only a mama, not a goddess! I always sit down with the kids and apologize and ask them what it was like for them when I lost my temper. We are learning together how to be good people.

Liz ~ The birth of our second child brought the most difficult of times for my husband and me. As I was reading what you wrote about regression (which I am in total agreement with), I thought of how our relationships can sometimes regress as well. Having such a huge change as having another baby can bring us right back to the initial no-communicaiton mode that we likely had in the beginning of our relationship, only without that lovely honeymoon feeling, and with the addition of the years of moments of dissatisfaction, annoyance and frustration. It really does make for a tough time. But, as you seem to instinctively know, it does get better. And what you learn about yourself and your partner improves your relationship overall. It can bring you to a whole new level. Sometimes we have to wallow in the muck to experience the pleasure of stepping out of it!

Meg ~ I am so glad about your husband. It seems like a good way to have dealt with it. As Jilly said, you can look more into the nessecity of other options at a less crazy time. How are you feeling?

Becca ~ I guess I would consider leaving the scar off and if Robin's scar becomes an issue for her, you could consider adding a scar on your own with marker or thread. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her at this point, and I think having it on the doll could draw her attention to it at a time when she is not focused on it.

We are having Owen's sixth birthday this weekend. A pirate party, with a treasure hunt. I hate saying this, but I just can't wait until it is over. I am just not in the mood to entertain! We limited the party to close friends, and I will be getting lots of help, but I am mentally wiped out!!! His b-day is four days before the baby's EDD, so we are having it a bit early to be sure it goes off and doesn't get interrupted! The good news is that I worked my husband to the bone yesterday and our house is cleaner than it has been since we moved in!!
#20 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-ozz View Post

Meg ~ I am so glad about your husband. It seems like a good way to have dealt with it. As Jilly said, you can look more into the nessecity of other options at a less crazy time. How are you feeling?
I feel like.... so what do we do now that our stress load has suddenly been reduced to 'normal'?!! Birthing a baby seems downright easy after this stressful event! The closure and reality of it all still hasn't quite sunk in for me.... I know that a little time will help that. I've decided that we'll always worry a little bit about Greg's health now, but that we were seen by the best and did the best we could and I'm going to let it go. It gives me new appreciation for each day. I'm giving us the weekend and then we've GOT to start getting ready for 'new baby'. I haven't even washed diapers.

I am excited about having two! It was great reading about all of the wonderful and challenging things that come with two children- such great insights. Cecilia and I play 'little baby' sometimes with her.... she lays on the couch and says 'wah wah' and I dress her, cuddle her and we pretend to nurse. Then after a few minutes she gets up and goes to try to make her own toast or something.

We talk about the 'new baby' more and more now, and she has my mom do her 'new baby checks' (like my mw does). My mom followed my girlfriends suggestion and purchased a new baby doll (a super cute corolle doll) and a moses basket that Cecilia will get when I have my new baby. All of the games and modeling have helped prepare Cecilia, I think.

Zen-ozz; I loved the photos! Super cute bellies.

Samantha; that's funny about the chiro. My suggestion would be to 'practice' at home or let her see you done first. Celia's way into the midwife checks after she watched me get measured and then had her visit. I'd 'play' chiro at home.

Augs; how sweet with Thor finishing nursing. He is letting go of something that was a big part of his life... and he's doing the best he can. I think that mama needs count (for a lot!) but that we also have to recognize that our children really do the best they can, and that they are still so new at figuring out how this whole world works. We're their anchor in this crazy place.

Jilly; you'll have to let us know how SIL's labor goes- I'm a junkie for hearing about births. It's just so fascinating.... the biology of it all!:

I don't think 'new baby' will come until the very end of the month, but I do feel like I'll have a pretty quick labor; I am rolling all over like a little tugboat, and I am predicting a boy. We'll see!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#21 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM

zen - ozz -I think that at 9 mos pregnant you are allowed to be not as enthusiastic as you otherwise would be. I think its perfectly natural to start to turn inward and not want a lot of people around the closer you get to your EDD.

Well, SIL had her baby last night. I heard the details filtered through BIL and then dh, but the baby was breech and really big, so after contracting but with little dialation for close to a day, she had a c-section. At 9 days before her EDD (Nov. 11) the baby was 9lbs 9oz : and as I said, SIL is pretty petite, so I think she was actually pretty happy about it. The baby is a little girl named Kaylee April, and apparently she latched on right away and is really healthy, so its all good.

Well, I just found out that the United Chruch where I was planning to have youth group tonight is all set up for a big supper tomorrow and I can't use it, and our church is also booked, so it looks like I"m having 10 - 25 teenagers hanging out making mexican food and piniatas at my house tonight! So I'd better get cleaning and getting stuff ready. I think I'll call a couple of the kids and ask if they can come early to watch Andrew while I make refried beans and guacamole. What a crazy, crazy week we're having!

#22 of 121 Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 PM

must have been something in the air. Our friend had her baby this morning, also a cesarean birth. I am trying to find the joy in me for them and their beautiful little girl but I am so saddened that another woman lived through what I did (baby was "overdue", midwives steering her toward induction, lots of pitocin, ended with surgery...). She was so downtrodden last week, and so tired of waiting. I did my best to lift her spirits but I swear, women who are past their EDD's just need their own darn support group that meets twice daily!! I hope I can be helpful to her, if she needs it...

Maybe this is why my scar has been itching.

Meg - wow. And I was so looking forward to having you camp out on my couch! But I hope that this works for Greg - in the long term, too.

Wow, I've never met a monster that practiced chiropractic I have no good advice since our DC is just amazing with children. She always lets them try out the table before she adjusts kids' parents (so the big noise doesn't scare them), shows them how all of her little adjustment toys work before she uses them, and has a ton of toys and usually adjusts children while they are playing - or makes it into play. ("Do you want to jump? Let's jump!" - and she'll get them around the ribs with one finger on the vertebra she wants to adjust - "one, two, three, JUMP!" and she lifts them up and adjusts them and they *never notice*!) T is totally not scared of her. What is it about the DC that is scaring E - besides that he's a monster? Would she like to play monster with him? Would it help if you got adjusted to show her there's nothing to be scared of?

Babies all around me. 2 new ones in our neighborhood in a week. One friend's pregnant and another's throwing their hat back in the adoption ring. Yep, baby lust here. Anna's going to say something here about toaster waffles (my only craving during my 1st tri with T) - but I don't think I care right now. Now, if you said Frango mints, that might be another story. Erp

Well, happy weekend. j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#23 of 121 Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Babies all around me. 2 new ones in our neighborhood in a week. One friend's pregnant and another's throwing their hat back in the adoption ring. Yep, baby lust here. Anna's going to say something here about toaster waffles (my only craving during my 1st tri with T) - but I don't think I care right now.
I might say something if I wasn't dealing with 2 sick kids.... I wish I could respond to all the interesting things you have all been chatting about, but Mielle is having a total meltdown each time i stop looking at her. She's sitting in my lap whimpering right now...... I thought she was doing better! I've been home with both kids sick for about a week now. Jasper has the most heartbreaking cough... Sometimes it's really hard having no faith in standard medical care, I wish I could just go to the doctor and get medicine to "make it all better" but I know better than that. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Well gotta go, love to all

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
#24 of 121 Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 AM

Anna, sorry you're having such a terrible time with everyone being sick. Hugs and I hope you all heal up soon. If it makes you feel any better, most of the dr's around here (at least the young ones that I usually see) don't have much faith in the medical system either. They tend to look at Andrew and just say "yeah, he'll get over it. Come back if its worse in a week / month / year (depending on what it is)". Hang in there.

Well, I survived having 25 teenagers making soft taco shells and pinatas in my house plus caring for my 2 year old at the same time! Thank goodness for my sling -- Andrew spent half the time riding in it peeking out at all the kids, and the other half playing in a corner sort of near them but not really interacting with them. And the teenagers seemed to have fun, so it was all good.

Well, the being the baby thing seems to have metamorphosized. Andrew found a little baby doll that someone gave him when he was born, and we spent the morning on Saturday holding it, playing with it, feeding it breakfast, etc. Then we put it to "sleep" in his toy toolbox wrapped in a blanket, and he carried it around in that for most of the day, except when he "delivered" it as a package to his dad. Since he delivered his baby we have checked on it a couple of times, and fed it breakfast this morning, and just basically left it in various places around the house. So I guess this is Andrew's rather odd way of processing the whole new baby thing. It kind of makes sense, since my new baby is hidden away that his would stay hidden away too.

I"m very excited because tomorrow is my first (and last for a long time) childless day! Dh is taking Andrew for the whole day and I'm driving into the city by myself. I asked him for this as a sort of pre-baby gift to me, since I've never been away from Andrew for more than 3 hours, and once the new baby comes I'll be breastfeeding again and so have at least one babe attatched to me for the next couple of years. So tomorrow is my big day to remember the taste of freedom! I'm pretty excited about it, except that we have zero money (part of our vacation this summer was "study leave" that dh hasn't filled out the paperwork to get reimbursed for yet, so we've been behind about half a month since we got back: ), and my IL's unexpectedly decided to give me something other than money (they usually give me about $50) -- probably a sweater or half-slip or something else weird that they also bought my SIL -- so I'm going to have to be restrained. But it is still a day of freedom, which is very exciting.

Ug, well, as usual I'm procrastinating on cleaning the house. I was going to make it easy by cleaning really quick and then quilting, but of course Andrew took an extra hour to get to sleep tonight (10:30) and so my plan was foiled. I hate having to just clean and then go to bed after he goes to bed. Its so depressing.

#25 of 121 Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 AM

Anna - hugs hugs hugs on your sick household. It's amazing how needy sick kids are - breaks my heart it's so sweet, but makes me want to SCREAM at the same time. Hope poor l'il Jasper is on the mend. Take everybody into a steamy shower, then slatter on the vapor rub. I always thought it was kinda gross, but it did help RObin breathe at night and ease her cough. Actually, i would do a vapor bath too.

I've been the sick one around here - developed from a sore throat I got taking a walk on a particularly smoggy day. : Nice, huh. this weekend you couldn't see anything - it looked like a great fog settled on Shanghai - but it was smog. Apparently the countryside is burning off crops this week, so it's particulalry nasty. My friend's carbon dioxide monitor inside her apartment keeps going off b/c of poor air quality. It makes me feel quite the bad parent, leaving our country home for this.

Jilly - hope you enjoyed your day of freedom!! I bet andrew had a good time too. He and ORbin should get together and play dolls. She is all about them now that I'm pregnant.

Meg - SO glad Greg found a less invasive option and is on the mend. I'm assuming he'll be getting monitored more closely from now on, which I hope provides some comfort. Anything that can be done to avoid an open heart procedure is a good thing. And what a relief to have him mostly on his feet as you approach yur delivery. I'm really glad for you guys.

Stacy - wow on the teeth marks. Robin has twice now decided to nose-dive onto her pillow and slammed her head into her headboard. It's so loud and scary. She loves her big-girl bed, despite the painful experiences.

K - I have thought to add on the more-than-one discussion, but gotta run to the store with my neighbor.

Oh - we got the box of toys we shipped in August finally. RObin's wooden dollhouse broke : , but along the seam, so it can be re-glued. RObin has been in toy heaven all morning.
#26 of 121 Old 11-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone else have a hard time restraining themselves when it comes to Christmas for dc? I am THE WORST:

I've gotten most everyone done on my list (yes, I like getting my xmas shopping done early) and dd's stuff is so fun and cool but dh is getting a dress shirt, tie and belt.... soooo not exciting to open. What are you doing for dh/dw?

Now that Greg is okay (but I will admit I check to make sure his heart is beating at least several times at night.... then over to Cecilia's bed to be sure she's okay.... then poke at 'new baby' to see if he responds....) I have become so horribly pregnantly hormonal. I can hardly even stand myself!! Oy vey.

Becca; the smog sounds terrible!! I am not surprised, but still, yucky. And too bad the dollhouse has to be reglued. I bet Robin's having a good time with her toys. They do like their 'stuff' at this age.

Jilly; I must say, you sound like a pretty fun person.... how nice of you to open your home to 25 teenagers! I think that's great. Andrew sounds so cute with his doll.... he's getting ready for his new baby! Be sure to tell us about your big day out- and take them while you can! It's so nice to have a little alone time.

Anna; hope everyone is better soon! I know exactly what you mean in the 'no faith' department. Cecilia had 3 colds in as many weeks and played with her ears the whole time, yet I knew I just needed to be patient and help her heal... hard to do! We all want a magic pill to keep our little ones healthy. Of course, BM is pretty close!

Jen; I think it's difficult sometimes to hear about other women's births. It's kind of sad to me when I hear traumatic stories and think 'it doesn't HAVE to be that way!' Harder for you, I bet, because your experience was so rough. I would imagine it's hard to heal, in the figurative sense. Good luck with the baby lust! When I whine, Greg keeps reminding me this baby is like the kittens I *HAD* to have..... 'you wanted 'em, now you live with them!' But really, I love them all. Just not when they lick the butter.

#27 of 121 Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 AM

Just wanted to say hello. I crafted a mighty fine response the other day and then it didn't end up getting saved. : So I'll see if I can get some time during naptime this week.

I would like to share with you that Lukas has grown sooo much since we have removed the allergy foods from his diet. On his birthday we weighed him at home at 24.5 lbs... he now weights 27.5lbs. That boy has been packing away the food like crazy!!

The other big thing is that DH is going out on his own in business because the company he works for is essentially laying him off due to their own financial crisis. So we're looking forward to making our own success, but also pretty freaked out by such short notice (we have this week and next). So we're writing up our business plan and should be able to apply for a business loan. Otherwise, we'll be job hunting. Which wouldn't seem to bad if we had to relocate because I'm in the mood for a change.

Ok... so I have diapers to wash, and our house looks like a miniature tornado ran through it...

Health and Happiness to you all!
#28 of 121 Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 AM

Anna --- Oooooooh, you poor mama. I feel for you. I hope everyone is well soon!!

Meg -- No, you're kidding. You're almost done with christmas shopping??? Holy cow. I just started thinking about it yesterday... I'm pretty good at being restrained, but DH loves to go gift crazy. I have to talk him out of it usually, and it generally doesn't work. BTW, I can't wait to hear about your birth and your new addition!! Do you have any names to share?

Jaidy -- That sounds exciting and nerve wracking about the new business! Keep us posted. Oh, and that's awesome about Lukas too!!

I have a question for you all... do you think that a big baby = big person? Anna is sooo big -- she's like 18 pounds and only 4 1/2 months old. It's crazy! Everyone, and I mean everyone, thinks she's like 9 months old when they see her. She's almost a full 2 pounds heavier than Thor was at this age, and THOR was a big baby! I'm starting to get a little paranoid -- do you think she'll be like 7 feet tall??

Oh, here's some new photos. There are a couple of other family members, but most are of us.

#29 of 121 Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 AM

Augustine: Such nice pictures!
Elizabeth was 19lbs. 12oz. at four months and 24 at seven. She leveled out at that time, hardly gaining at all. She got up to 33, lost three, and at last weight check she was 34. She was 8lbs. 1oz. at birth, and 9lbs. 1oz. at two weeks. I would venture to say that she actually weighs more now just because she has been inhaling most of her food. She's got the tummy and thick thighs, but her arms have thinned out quite a bit.

Anna's babes and all others who are under the weather: Hope you all get well soon! If it comes around here, I hope I get it because E never gets sick when I get sick. If she gets sick, I get it with a vengeance! Although I have been nauseaus for two days now, I wonder if that's a bug going around?

Samantha

#30 of 121 Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Anna and Jaspar are two of the cutest babies... thank you Anna and Augustine for the pics....

I teared up looking at Jaspar's birth photos!

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page