Does your toddler space out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 19 months and I've recently become concerned b/c he often (multiple times a day) will just stare off into space, and I can call his name and snap my fingers and that doesn't bring him out of it; he just "comes back" on his own, very quickly (generally this lasts 8-10 seconds). Often I notice it while we are eating. I know I've noticed it at other times, but can't think of them off the top of my head. I'm not talking about staring out a window, or at the TV, this is just like he's eating, and then he stops and stares for a bit and then is "back." I'm especially concerned b/c dh had petit mal seizures as a child (and outgrew them). Just wondered if this is a normal toddler thing or if I am rightly concerned.
#2 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 PM

My dd is 3.5 and has always done it occasionally - maybe a couple times a week.

I think it's pretty normal. I like to think that her little brain is just so busy she has to shut out the world momentarily so she doesn't get overwhelmed by her own genius!

But it's most likely related to fatigue.

If you ds "comes back" pretty quickly, and his other behaviors seem "normal", it's probably no big deal.
#3 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Maybe he's peeing?
#4 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM

my 2.5yo does this..usually when he's tired. not that often though anymore but much more when he was younger. my late DH and I did wonder about it for awhile though!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM

On a serious note... my nephew started having childhood seizures the last 2 years... his "aura" (what he does as he's about to and as he is having a seizure) involves being a little disconnected, and then he gets sick to his stomach. :
He is "unreachable" for several seconds or minutes... and then very tired. <-- This is very common in children who do suffer from seizures, from what SIL tells me; and there was/is no other indicator that he was/is having seizures. They only took him to get checked because the spells started lasting longer and longer, and they thought he was having a systemic reaction to allergy meds. They were VERY shocked when the doc revealed that he was actually having seizures.

Does ds do anything unusual before or after these little spells?

Keep an eye on it...
#6 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally, if it were me, I would bring it up to a care provider, but only because I have a history of seizure disorder and it sounds a bit like a petit mal/absence seizure to me:
Quote:
Absence seizures are brief episodes of staring. (Although the name looks like a regular English word, your neurologist may pronounce it ab-SAWNTZ.) Another name for them is petit mal (PET-ee mahl). During the seizure, awareness and responsiveness are impaired. People who have them usually don't realize when they've had one. There is no warning before a seizure, and the person is completely alert immediately afterward.

Simple absence seizures are just stares. Many absence seizures are considered complex absence seizures, which means that they include a change in muscle activity. The most common movements are eye blinks. Other movements include slight tasting movements of the mouth, hand movements such as rubbing the fingers together, and contraction or relaxation of the muscles. Complex absence seizures are often more than 10 seconds long.
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_absence.html

I don't mean to be freaky, and it's probably nothing (they usually start around age 4), but if there's a family history and it concerns you, I would want to check it out.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 09:08 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Both my kids have done it, though my 5yo seems to have pretty much grown out of it. We call it "talking to the baby (or kid) planet". They just go off into their own little world for a wee bit
#8 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 PM

sounds like an absence seizure. you might consider getting an eeg done just to rule out any more serious seizure activity that might be happening. big (((Hugs))))
#9 of 12 Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
Maybe he's peeing?
that's sooooooo funny.

FWIW everyone I know spaces out at one time or another, including me.

really though i would keep tabs on it too, for the seizure reason

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#10 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe he's peeing?
Yeah, DD looks like that when she is peeing, too
#11 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Maybe he's peeing?
funny you say that! ds does space out.....usually while peeing, pooping or when hes tired.
#12 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 02:24 AM

I thought that was a sign to look for that they are peeing? (like if you were doing EC?)

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page