Not finding in archives - which is safer for forward facing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Middle or behind passenger/driver side? Sorry, I did a search and I'm not finding the answer. I know this has been discussed before...

Seems like middle but then the windshield factor isn't good. But side with a side impact crash seems awful.

Thanks.
#2 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 04:57 PM

Reese is rear facing, and in the middle. Seems safest to me. IMO, the chance of her being injured on the side are far greater than in the middle.
#3 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you, I wonder if it is different for forward facing? I'll assume 'no' and make the switch now. Thanks again.
#4 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 07:14 PM

The answer also depends on your car. I went to one of those free car seat clinic things when dd was still in her infant seat. Turns out not only had we installed the whole thing incorrectly, but we didn't have it in the best position. We have a Subaru wagon, and because of the bump in the middle seat, the consensus of the clinic staffers was that the side was actually safer. I would say - go to one of those clinics! They are SO worth it, even if you think you're doing everything right (like we did).

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#5 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you, Mere! Excellent idea and I've wanted to do that for ages. I'll check it out. We have a Toyota CRV.
#6 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Does anyone have the link for finding car seat checks in my area?

This one doesn't give me any in my area:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ontactList.cfm
#7 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 07:52 PM

With the NHTSA list, pick a contact that is close to you, and email them(or phone if no email is listed). The list isn't always up to date, and they're may be new technicians in your area(classes go on almost constantly). The person you contact will either know someone in your area, or know of a check upcoming in your area, or know someone who does.
#8 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 09:03 PM

I definitely remember technicians here in the past saying it totally depended on your car and your seat...that a better fit was more important than middle or outboard. This definitely sounds like a better issued addressed IRL. I for one get a much tighter fit outboard in some seats, middle with others.
#9 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 10:37 PM

Most police departments offer free carseat inspection. Try giving your local station a call. They might be able to direct you to a clinic if they do not have anyone on staff certified.

Good luck!

Andrea
mommy to Greta 3/14/02
#10 of 24 Old 04-22-2003, 11:35 PM

For me I just drove over to my local police department and went in and said I needed help installing my carseat. That easy. If you think about most plice officer have to be trained to install prperly especially when they stop people they need to now how to fix the moxtakes. Anyway fifteen minutes later I found out I had a Great carseat only had it in wrong. HE also got my carseat tighter than it has EVER been. HE also had a list and checked to see if my carseat had been recalled, and if it was a good fit for my car. I will definitely do this againg when we turn him forward facing.

also he helped em determine the best place for my carseat. Of course he said he should be in the middle, but iwht my 3yr on the right side I feel like they need to be separated or else I would constantly be yelling and turning around to intervene in their fighting ....not very safe for me as the driver!
#11 of 24 Old 04-23-2003, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you! I contacted my local police station and they do the checks. But are police persons certified car seat techs? Might I hear something different if I go to a car seat check say, at babies 'r' us when they offer the free checks?
#12 of 24 Old 04-24-2003, 04:45 PM

Before the officer does the seat check/demonstration of installation, ask them if they're certified, and if so, when they took the class. If you're worried about offending the officer, just say you're a nervous mom, and you want to make sure it gets done right.
#13 of 24 Old 04-24-2003, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Back from two checks:

- One with certified child passenger seat safety tech at the police station. She said we should have our DS rear facing, in the middle. She said middle is always safest, no matter what car type. 'Middle, middle, middle!', she emphasized. And our car seat was installed correctly, fwiw. My DH is an engineer of sorts so I hadn't doubted that so much...

- One with certified child passenger seat safety tech at the monthly free babies 'r' us car seat check day. They said that we should put it behind the passenger seat and it's okay to go forward facing at this point (DS is 14.5 months, 20+ lbs.). They said our car seat was installed correctly, too. And it's a good type for our car.

What should I do? We aren't able to drive longer than 10-15 minutes MAX and have not done so for the life of my son because he is absolutely hysterical in the car. We mused that forward facing would improve this, but of course, we don't know. And I'm confused about the advice on car seat placement.

Thanks again.
#14 of 24 Old 04-24-2003, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Bumping b/c I'm now afraid to drive! Has anyone had to choose between two car seat techs saying different advice? How did you make your decision?

Thanks for any help at all. I'm baffled. Thought it would be straightforward if I just went to the right person.
#15 of 24 Old 04-27-2003, 02:44 AM

I was a CPS tech but let it expire this year.

I choose to keep my son rear facing for as long as he fits in the seat- must meet the weight criteria of the seat and have at least 1 inch above his head. Rear facing is always safer as long as the child fits in the seat that way.

I also have him in the middle position.

After 12 months and 20 lbs you can turn it forward facing, but its still safer to be rear facing until they outgrow the seat that way.

Xander just turned 2 last week and is still rear facing at 29 lbs. (He is happy that way and has certain "car only" toys so he looks forward to getting in the car.)

Now if your child is fussing so much that you can't concentrate on driving you might be safer forward facing if that makes him happier and you can focus on driving. You won't know that until you try. Middle does still tend to be safer as long as the seat fits well in that spot but I don't think it was a statistically huge difference.

There really isn't a perfect answer since every situation is different. Sorry this is causing you so much stress. Hope this helps a little.

Kaye

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#16 of 24 Old 04-27-2003, 10:48 AM

Frogertgrl, sorry to barge into your thread, but I really want to ask azdesertrn a question. The French are not as safety conscious as the states and I would not trust anyone here to tell me what is best. I have a 91 VW bus and have DS forward-facing in the middle-middle bench with the tether attached to the bottom back of the seat. When we got the bus and put the seat in, we were very happy because it doesn't budge at all. We were never able to get it so firmly strapped in any of the other vehicles in which we have installed it. But on the VW bus thread, someone else who has the same bus as us said that she was thinking of moving her child to the rear bench because she could not find a place to put the tether in the middle bench except to the back of the bench and that was a no-no. I cannot quite imagine the bench going anywhere during an accident, so I don't understand why the tether should not be attached to it. Is it safe to attach the tether to the back of the seat? The seat is immobile. It does not tilt forward/backward. It can be removed by bolts from the floor or it is there in the one position.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#17 of 24 Old 04-27-2003, 10:31 PM

I am not familiar with that vehicle. The standard CPS tech response would be to check with the vehicle manufacturer as to where a car seat could be safely tethered in that seating position. Many older vehicles need to have a tether anchor installed. Often with bench seats this is drilled and bolted into the vehicle floor. Another common place to tether is the joint where the bench (or the one behind) it attachs to the floor.

What part exactly on the seat are you attaching it to? I think the concern is that it needs to be something sturdy enough to hold in an accident otherwise it becomes even more dangerous because the tether piece can end up hitting the child.

The car seat I use does not require a tether (though it is safer if tethered) and so, if I use it in a vehicle where I am unsure of the tethering location, I choose to not use the tether and just install the seat as tightly as I can with the seatbelt. I can usually get a great fit even without it.

I have heard of cases where people tethered to something unsafe and the child was injured by the tether hook. (a common mistake is to attach to a rear cargo hook without checking to see if that is safe- on some vehicles the cargo hooks are designed to be strong enough and on others a separate tether anchor is required) Newer vehicles should state in the owners manuals where the safe tether locations are but with older vehicles you will need to contact them and ask.

I also have no idea what the applicable laws are there.

Sorry, this doesn't really help at all. But we always look to the vehicle manufacturer when deciding where is safe to tether.

Kaye

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#18 of 24 Old 04-28-2003, 12:11 AM

Quote:
because of the bump in the middle seat, the consensus of the clinic staffers was that the side was actually safer.
Same with our Nissan Sentra! We went to a clinic too, and not only was the middle seat not safest for our carseat, but our middle belt was not holding the seat very tight. We'd been driving around with her in that belt for a year! We have since gotten it fixed but still, glad we went. You can call Babies R Us or your local firestation to find out when one is in your area. A lot of fire stations have trained people and you can make an appt. too.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#19 of 24 Old 04-28-2003, 08:35 AM

Thank you azdesertrn! I will contact VW in the states to see if they know if this is a safe place to tether. Thanks again!

#20 of 24 Old 04-28-2003, 11:50 AM

In reality the center is safest. BUT there are other considerations.

Evenflo seats indicate in their instructions that THEIR seats should not RF in front of an armrest. This is not the case for other seats.

The "bump" that is in some cars can be a factor. HOWEVER, if your seat fits, and fits tightly (less than an inch of movement in the beltpath) then it isn't a factor. Not ALL bumps make ALL seats not fit.

Many times with more than one child the center isn't an option as they can "touch" each other. Which would cause the driver to be distracted thus making the center position LESS safe than the two outboard positions.

From everything I've read on the car seat board (this ?? comes up often), there is no conclusive evidence that EITHER outboard position is better than the other. Generally the rule of thumb is center is safest, then either side.

Oh and VW is VERY good with car seat stuff. They and Audi are the only US car dealers that will INSTALL LATCH in their cars...not all I don't think but at least in some..>AND they are good about installing tether achors. Most car dealers will install at least ONE for free.

HTH

Christine
#21 of 24 Old 04-29-2003, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Madrone: glad to have you ask any car seat ?s in this thread! No worries.

Well, we turned DS ff for three days now and it was better initially (for a ten minute drive) but now it is no different. Lots of crying, tears rolling and I can't take him suffering.

If he is going to be upset, I guess I should go rf so at least we have maximum safety.

I am almost hysterical most drives as nothing helps. We have car only toys, music, food, drink, go when tired (nightmare!), go when not tired, have me in the back with him and DH drives, have me drive, point out things outside the window, frequent stops, etc.

It's just something he doesn't like and that is his right not to like it. But we sure do miss out on alot of wonderful places he would love and that is hard. Hopefully when he is older it will be better but dang, I thought by now it would be better and it's no better than when he was four months.
#22 of 24 Old 04-29-2003, 05:40 PM

How old is your DS frogertgrl? I know my DS did not like driving for what seemed like forever unless I was nursing him as we drove. Hard to cry when your mouth is full. I remember him being furious even at 1 year, although it was not every single time at that point.

#23 of 24 Old 04-29-2003, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

He is 14.5 months and thank goodness he was born at home! I knew there was no way I was getting into a car during or after birth but he certainly would have protested.

We also did the homeopathics for motion sickness with no visible improvement.

The only thing I haven't tried is chiropractics.
#24 of 24 Old 04-30-2003, 05:35 AM

I think what really caused my son to completely change about riding in cars was us being without transportation for a couple of months. I think he got tired of the bicycle and buses. When we got back into a car for the first time after that, he was very happy. That would be an extreme thing to try though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page