Mothering Forum banner

walking shoes for little feet

648 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  chiro_kristin 
#1 ·
My DD has really small little feet and is now starting to walk...only, I can't find any good shoes for her. The See Kai Run shoes are way too wide (and too long). I need something for the rain and snow. Anyone know of a shoe that might work?

#2 ·
I like Soft Star Shoes. They are cut more narrow than many of the other toddler shoes that we've tried.

They have a rubber sole (but still very soft) so they do fine in the rain. We don't get much snow down here in the deep south, so I can't help there.

#3 ·
We have had the same problem--my daughter has long, extremely narrow feet. She didn't start walking until she was 16 months old, and there still weren't any sandals in Stride Rite that would fit her. (They only had one shoe that was narrow enough for her foot, period.)

We've had good luck with some See Kai Run, but only a very few models that we could get snug at the ankle. If that ankle could get a secure fit, the wide toe box was no problem. Their Jayden model was great, and Qwynn (maybe discontinued now, not sure) and Sadie also fit her well. Their other shoes don't get as snug on her tiny ankle, so the whole shoe would just swim on her foot.

Jayden was our everyday shoe for her last fall & winter, and we had a pair of Ecco boots (they are labelled for "first walkers," the ones she had were a soft cherry red leather) that were also great and very flexible. They were not exactly snow boots (we grabbed some Lands End boots for actual snow play, but they were pretty stiff) but they were good shoes for cold weather and a good fit. She wore them a lot--anytime red would go with her clothes--and we'd use the Jaydens if she needed the more neutral brown. The Eccos were a very nice fit for her little foot.

Maybe check Zappos, online? I've never ordered there, but I've heard that they offer free return shipping, so if a shoe doesn't fit, you know it won't cost more to return it...

It might be worthwhile to have some thicker Ragg-wool type socks for her. (Hanna Andersson has some woolies for kids, and I'm sure they're around other places.)

I found that my daughter didn't do a lot of walking outside in snow her first walking-winter (she started walking in July at 16 months and the following winter, she did play in the snow some but wasn't really walking in "bad weather" a lot. We'd still carry her out to the car, etc.) This year (she's 2.5) I definitely had to get her a snow boot that is a flexible toddler shoe as well, because I know she'll be in and out a lot and really PLAYING out there on the hill.

I think Robeez makes more of an all-weather type of shoe or boot, don't they? Something meant for snow/rain. I can't swear to it, but that kind of thing might be your best bet if she's a new walker. Good luck!!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post
These seem really cool.You can get them as boots or shoes.You can get them woth fleece lining and PUL on the bottom.You might even be able to request them be made more narrow?Worth a try.
http://www.joshoes.com/store/
Hey, thanks for this link. I came here today to post the exact same question as the OP. I'd seen a discussion of shoes before, but all the recommendations seemed to be for shoes that are $50 and up. We can't afford to pay that much for shoes every month or two! I'm glad to see that these have PUL for outside use; DS has been using his walker wagon to go up and down the hall, and I think it's time to head outside, but it seems that normal soft shoes would get ruined on the wet ground.

#6 ·
I have always worn Chuck Taylors (aka Converse All Stars) and got a pair for my son at a consignment shop just because I could not resist them. Imagine my surprise when my (holistic) pediatrician complimented me on the good choice of shoes (soft soles!)

up until the weather got yucky he was wearing only Robeez and similar styles or going barefoot, but the suede just doesn't work when there's wet ground outside.

ever since the Dr. said they were good shoes I've been all over ebay, my kid has four different colors now

(I still have more
)

they aren't entirely waterproof, as the uppers are canvas, and I don't think they'll work in the snow but they are a great shoe and they are relatively cheap.

-P

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ochoco View Post
Hey, thanks for this link. I came here today to post the exact same question as the OP. I'd seen a discussion of shoes before, but all the recommendations seemed to be for shoes that are $50 and up. We can't afford to pay that much for shoes every month or two! I'm glad to see that these have PUL for outside use; DS has been using his walker wagon to go up and down the hall, and I think it's time to head outside, but it seems that normal soft shoes would get ruined on the wet ground.
I wish i would have known about them for my gal's first walking fall and winter.She spent the fall getting wet feet through her Robeez and in the winter I put her in boots and brought her soft soles to change into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prensa View Post
I have always worn Chuck Taylors (aka Converse All Stars) and got a pair for my son at a consignment shop just because I could not resist them. Imagine my surprise when my (holistic) pediatrician complimented me on the good choice of shoes (soft soles!)

up until the weather got yucky he was wearing only Robeez and similar styles or going barefoot, but the suede just doesn't work when there's wet ground outside.

ever since the Dr. said they were good shoes I've been all over ebay, my kid has four different colors now

(I still have more
)

they aren't entirely waterproof, as the uppers are canvas, and I don't think they'll work in the snow but they are a great shoe and they are relatively cheap.

-P
That's what I have my gal in now.She wore her "flames"today.They're so funny.

#8 ·
someone on here recommended isabooties.com to me, and I got a pair for ds (now 15 mo). He adores them. He actually asks to put them on. They have a tough bottom that is the same material the search and rescue dogs' booties are made out of, but they are just as pliable as other soft-soled shoes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.