Potty Training at 14 mo. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-24-2003, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past month DD has been taking off her diaper as soon as she wets or poops in it unless she is fully dressed. This is REALLY frustrating for us since she often gets it off anyway and there's poop all over her and her crib or whatever. Recently, if not dressed and I am in the bathroom getting ready she will try to take off her diaper and get on the toilet. Is she ready to potty train? She will be 14 months in just about 2 weeks. I don' t think she's mentally able to understand this, right? HELP please.
#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 PM

If it were me, I would go ahead and try it. (without high expectations of course-no pressure) because it seams like she just doesn't want to feal that icky stuff on her. My dd peed in the potty at that age, not always. But she went without pants a lot which makes things easier. Definetly let her when she tries to get on the toilet. She may well understand. Sounds like a good thing.
#3 of 7 Old 04-24-2003, 09:40 PM

My dd was doing that at that age. I finally got my son's old pott out for her, and by 18 mos she was totally potty trained all of her own. Go ahead and let her experiment- summer is great for going naked.
#4 of 7 Old 04-26-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We are going to Hawaii in a few weeks so we'll wait until we get back to break out the potty chair. Let the fun begin!
#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2003, 07:30 AM

I would also bring out the potty chair and let her try it out.
Just don't push her, as she may not actually be ready to train...could just be a curiosity in the toilet from watching the rest of the family sitting there.
Good luck, Mama!
BTW...
I *think* I may try to start my 18-month-old here in a couple of months when it gets warmer, as he likes to take off his dipe when he's pooped.
I'm not gonna hold my breath, though, as Gunnar wasn't fully *trained* 'til he was 3.5.
#6 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 02:34 AM

My oldest dd was trained by 18mos. Just like yours, she took off her diap all the time. 14mos is really young. I hope you will keep us posted on your progress. Good luck, have a nice trip
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I will keep you posted! We are going to try the potty seat when we get back from Hawaii. DD will be almost 15 mo. then so we'll see. I won't push her though so we may be in dipes for a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page