What age for play kitchen? Dollhouse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is almost two - is that too young for a play kitchen? What about a dollhouse? All the ones I've looked at say 3+ but maybe that's just for 'safety' reasons? Anyone have a 2 yo that enjoys either of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 PM

My 2 1/2 yo got her wood play kitchen for her 2nd birthday. She plays with it every day! We are moving it to her bedroom and out of the living room though so our little guy doesn't get any of the small parts. She's never really been the kid that tries to eat parts to stuff. It really depends on your child, I never go by the ages on stuff.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 PM

I think the age recommendation is there on the play kitchens because 3 is when most kids get into more complex pretend play. if you do get her one, watch that the height is appropriate.

On the dollhouses, most have tiny accessories that make them more appropriate for 3 and up. choking hazard.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My triplets will be 2 in December and they are getting a play kitchen for Xmas. My 4 year old still loves to pretend play like that - I know they will get more and more use out of it as time goes by.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Our two year old was ready for one and got it for her second birthday just a few weeks ago. She loves to pretend cook and put things in the oven. Some of the pretend play is a little beyond her, but she does well with most of it. I think it really depends on the child.

Also, like the pp said, check for choking hazards, even if they are not apparent. I do have a mouther, but we have been working on "pretend" eating and drinking. Height is important too. I have tall children, so we got a tall one so it would last longer, but my friend has a one-year-old that is the same size as my six-month-old, and she wouldn't be able to reach the stovetop.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 PM

Dd got her play kitchen at 22m. She LOVED it and still does (she's 2.5y). She got her dollhouse last Christmas (she was only 20m). She was a bit too young for it then but around her 2nd birthday she really took interest.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 11-21-2006, 07:58 PM

We got my ds a play kitchen last christmas (he was 18 months). When we got it was pretty big for him, but he was mostly interested in opening and shutting the doors and taking things in and out of it, so the height wasn't really an issue. He does some pretend play with it now and he's grown into it more. I actually like that it's pretty big and he won't outgrow the size of it too quickly. I remember playing with mine when I was in 7 or 8.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM

My daughter has enjoyed playing with her sister's dollhouse and kitchen since she was about 18 months old. I am getting her own dollhouse for Christmas this year and her sister passed down her kitchen, so she is going to be a very happy girl! :

M
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 PM

DD is almost 27 months. She has had a dollhouse for a long time now, but she's only now really starting to get excited about it. There are quite a few good quality "beginner" dollhouses with larger pieces and simpler furniture, to make them safe and easy for young ones, but it still takes a lot of fine motor skill to manipulate the dolls and the furniture. She needs help to play with it; that's something we do together.

She got a play kitchen for her 2nd birthday and took to it immediately. It and all the accompanying dishes and pots and stuff are her favorite thing to play with. She plays with it by the hour, feeding all her stuffed animals and making culinary masterpieces for anyone who will sit down and pretend to eat with her. You do have to watch the height, though. My DD is very tall for her age, and even so some of the kitchens we considered were a little too high for her to play with comfortably.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for helping me! I think we'll get the kitchen, since I'm not sure she'd be into the dolls yet (although I would!)
Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 PM

We got a play kitchen over the summer, around 16 months of age. He loves it, but better now when he's 20 months old. He has some play food and I'm getting him dishes and such for Christmas, since he insists on serving me food in cups. (Well, he'll probably still want to even with the plates!) He gets really into it, shoving food in the microwave (he never uses the oven?? It's not from me, I do stove/oven stuff!) and then bringing them to me.

User Tag List