Shoe sizes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-26-2003, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 13 1/2 mo. and wears a size 4 1/2 W shoe. She has been in that size for 3 months now. I want to buy her some shoes for the summer/fall but don't want to get the wrong size. How fast are your toddler's feet growing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-26-2003, 07:19 PM

Ian got his first pair of real shoes right around his first birthday in December. They were 6 1/2. We bought new shoes two weeks ago or so and they were size 8. The boy's got big hooves like his mama!
#3 of 12 Old 04-27-2003, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In October of last year (at 1 yr. old), he was wearing a size 5 1/2 Extra-Wide from Stride Rite. Now he's wearing a 6W at 18 months.
#4 of 12 Old 04-27-2003, 12:01 PM

Quote:
DD is 13 1/2 mo. and wears a size 4 1/2 W shoe. She has been in that size for 3 months now. I want to buy her some shoes for the summer/fall but don't want to get the wrong size. How fast are your toddler's feet growing?
Hey I can help you out! I worked at Stride Rite and am a *Fit Expert*:LOL Anyhow some basic info that may help. Babies feet will grow a 1/2 size to an entire size in about 8-10 weeks. So if you have a 4 1/2W now she will probably be in a 5 1/2 next time she gets fitted and that would be for shoes for right now. I really hated guessing for later on because A) if you buy too big now so they will fit for a long time then you will get creases in the wrong spot and as your dd grows into them the crease will be deep and bug her. She will also probably trip a lot too. I really recommend that if you are buying shoes to buy for right now and not size up. Its almost a waste to spend $40 on shoes that dont fit her now kwim? You can always walk in and have them check her fit for free without obligation to get anything that day or ever.
Some ways to see if your babe needs their shoe size checked.
A: The laces are starting to bulge out. When feet grow they usually chuck up a bit and then grow length wise and slim back down a tad. So when you notice the top of the shoe has more distance between the laces please have it checked.
B) The heel and top of the babies foot will sometimes become red and show sock lines and such and that too is evidence of a too small shoe.
So to make a short point..babies grow a 1/2 size to a size in a relatively short amount of time. Sizing up saves you a buck but doesnt help anything in the end.
If you have any other questions ask away. That was my favorite job and I was really good at sizing and such. I was an asst manager.
#5 of 12 Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 AM

we got our DD's shoes from Nordstrom, they will guarantee (sp?) the shoes to fit for 3 mo or they will replace them with a bigger size.

I can't afford to spend $30-40 all the time on shoes, so for summer sandles I just got cheap ones. But for her all-the-time shoes we got stride rite. They are really nice quality, wash up nice (DD has a thing for muddle puddles and white shoes, but they've always washed up so nice afterward), and seem to be wearing good. Plus they seem to be super comfy.

DD has had the same shoes (stride rite ones, fitted by a "fit expert" at Nordstrom) since November, and they still fit great.

You know, the funny thing is that in the SR shoes, DD wears a 5, but in other shoes she wears a 4 :
#6 of 12 Old 04-28-2003, 01:13 PM

Thats strange that the fit would be a size off between brands. IME the Stride Rites have been true to size and the other brands run bigger. Thats odd. The fitters at Nordstrom do not go through the same training as those from the company. We spent 2 weeks just being trained before we ever saw a customer. I wonder how long their training was because your babes shoes sound too big. I wonder if Nords sizes them up like that so they dont lose money backing up their 3 month fit gaurentee. At a Stride Rite Co store there is no fit guarantee. She should have out grown them by now.
#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM

um actually, the woman spent quite awhile sizing and fitting DD very well. She sized up 1/2 size to the "biggest" foot. DD's feet really haven't grown since then (at least not much)

I'd much rather buy from somewhere that I get a 3mo guarentee when buying a $30 pair of shoes. We saw the same shoes at the stride rite store that very same day for $10 more....we just don't have that kind of money to spend kwim?

If the other sized run bigger, then wouldn't a 4 be on the big side? thus = a size 5? I'm talking about cheap shoes here, not name brand ones.

When we were trying other brands at Nordstrom, all of the shoes were a size 5, all fit pretty much the same. We got the stride rite b/c their sole was the most flexible.

I'm not trying to offend you, please don't take it that way. I'm just saying that I wouldn't buy from the SR store b/c if I can get a guarentee somewhere else on a pricey pair of shoes (I don't even spend that much on my shoes) then I'm going to do it. I can't afford to plop down $40+ every month or two on shoes for a toddler
#8 of 12 Old 04-29-2003, 03:36 AM

Well, we spend close to $50/pair just b/c ds has "fat feet." It kills me but we just love Elephantin. It is SO hard to know the right size. His feet are so wide but he always has extra toe room. So, he has lots of space left in size 5 (20) but I just bought him a pair of 5.5 (21) today.
Isn't that weird-he's 26 mos.old and has been size 5 forever now.

I guess I'd like to think he can pass these pricey shoes down to his brother. Fat chance?:
#9 of 12 Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 AM

You might want to check out the soft soled shoes at http://www.robeez.com/. They are just adorable, fit for a looooong time, are machine washable, and are much cheaper than what you pay for the SR's! We have had our current pair for over 4 months ( since they are softer, the fit is more forgiving and much more comfy for her! She even naps in them at times). They wash and dry just fine. My favorite thing about them is that she cannot get them off herself . She tries . . . . .

IMO, you can't beat the quality and fit, and they are just so darn cute! We get great comments wherever we go.

Andrea
mommy to Greta 3/14/02
#10 of 12 Old 04-29-2003, 12:47 PM

yeah but with Robeez you can't walk outside in them, it will ruin the soles.

I know you weren't directing that to me though....but it rains sooooooo much here, that DD had Robeez before she could walk, but as soon as she was walking we had to move to "real" shoes b/c she wanted to go outside.

Just a thought
#11 of 12 Old 04-29-2003, 01:34 PM

Hmmmmm . . . makes sense. We let G go outside in her Robeez when it is warm (new walker!), but it is not very wet here usually. I supposewe will be looking for winter shoes/boots for next year! I still plan on using the Robeez as her primary shoes, but will have to check out other options for rainy days. Thanks for the insight into what's coming for us!

Andrea
#12 of 12 Old 04-29-2003, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help Meghan. I love SR shoes because they fit DD fat feet. I buy them online or at outlets so they are never more than $20 each.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page