*~*Do you smell garlic?? May 2004 Mamas are rockin' in December!*~* - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1.Favorite color orange because it is warm and sassy (like me!)
2.Least favorite color purple because it is so overdone in the lesbian world
3.Greatest fear is that I will never become a midwife (because of money, time, failed dreams issues)
4.I love gingerbread cookies that have just the right chewiness to softness ratio.
5.I would start a foundation to support reproductive choices worldwide (abortion prevention and access, contraception, natural birth and well-woman/baby/family type stuff, STDs and particularly HIV advocacy, etc. all through a bookstore/teahouse/hangout place for women to gather and get support without being uppity and privileged. Sounds totally possible, eh?

Oh, and I use bleach in every load of diapers. : It is the only thing that prevented the prefolds from getting super crazy ammonia smelly as soon as they are wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 05:52 PM

will read recent posts later, but choked up over the news about the missing dad James Kim, whose body was located about an hour ago... hug all your loved ones today, mamas... James Kim

~claudia
#93 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM

sad about james kim too. i'm glad they found him though so the wondering is over. gone without a trace is harder to deal with

1) fave color green. certain colors of green. i hate that dark preppy ralph lauren green. i like bright grass or lighter color greens. and i like the olive realm.

2) least favorite purple. and not because it is overdone in lesbian circles. i just don't like it. (overdone in hippy circles too i think.) i'm talkin purple purple...i do like lavender. purple happens to be my work's color. i have purple and grey business cards and logo wear.

3) greatest fear. car crashes. unreasonable fear about it.

4) hmm. molasses cookies. or butter thumbprints with a blob of jam.

5) i would want to help women seeking asylum from abuse/back-to-work rehab type places. birth control education/access for teens. and science education for girls elementary school through high school.

i love the confessions. i HATE the smell of bleach. it gives me the gag reflex but i do use it in my toilet bowl. i cleaned my entire bathroom (walls, floor, ceiling) with ammonia (diluted) last time i was pregnant. i haven't opened the ammonia since then so this is not a normal urge for me. (see i was crazy with nesting). BUT we had lived there 5 years and bathrooms get that sticky vaporized shampoo buildup on the ceiling. touch it...and you will see

#94 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Okay, *here* is a confession... the boys are playing together, quietly, nicely, in their room, and I should be unchaining the laundry fairy, but here I am!!! (I *am* nak, though, so I'm doing *something* )

I *hate* the smell of bleach, too, and even worse is if I spill and accidentally get some on my skin. ewwww.... But still, I use it. We have some mildew in our shower that I want to clean up, and I draw the line at using the bleach there (because I don't want to breathe that crap in when I'm showering...). Any suggestions????

(1) I like blue (and it's because when I was 4 or so, I asked my mom what *her* favorite color was, and so of course, that became mine ). But I'm pretty fond of green, too.

(2) I think y'all know I pretty much *loathe* pink. I guess I see it as a powerless color? Hmm.

(3) I guess my dual fears are not getting everything done and not amounting to much (when I thought I might have had cancer when I was pg with Z, those were the 2 things running through my head, right after worrying that T wouldn't have a mommy). And the NGED is on a daily basis and a "life scale" basis.

(4) Non-Christmas, I like oatmeal raisin cookies. Xmas, I like gingery things, esp. good gingerbread and molassy things. Strangely, I'm very picky about baked chocolate things. It has to be VERY chocolate-y, and not too caky/dry. (Goo is the word.)

(5) There's a local guy who came into a pile of money, and so he started his own foundation. So his job is now funding all of his favorite causes. That seems like a really cool way to spend one's time (and money). [random thought... I think the Grameen Bank is one of the best ideas I've ever heard of.] I would want to do something related to women and children (probably prenatal-age 5 or so... really vulnerable phases). Too many small children still die over things that are relatively cheap to fix (but logistically difficult).. water, sanitation, etc. Education for women is a big deal, too, especially because it generally helps *children* too. (It's funny how being a mom has really increased my love for all children everywhere... it's not that I was an ogre before, I guess I just wasn't as aware.)

Thanks on the photo credit.
#95 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM

OK I have to talk about the Kims too. I have been thinking about James all day and didn't know his body was found. But in the back of my mind, I have been asking him, "WHY did you go off the road? You were only 30 miles outside of Grants Pass. You could have walked that. Oh please, please be ok." I am so sorry he didn't make it.

Saturday when I read the paper I was all jaded and like, "why are these friends and family spending so much $ on private search and rescue? They are most likely all dead down a ravine. I mean, they had cell phones and know one has heard from them in a week." And then they were found and I just cried at my own cynicism, and in thankfulness that the family and friends held out hope. And what REALLY made me bawl is how the mom and kids survived: she drank melted snow and NURSED her 4yr old and 7mo. It's all too much for a pregnant momma to take. I'm glad too that at least he was found, and they can say goodbye. But what a horrible end to a family vacation.

On a lighter note:
1. Periwinkle. It just makes me feel really happy inside. We once lived near a huge periwinkle house, and though I'd probably never have the guts to do that myself, I'm glad someone in the world does.
2. That bright greenish-yellowish color. Just hate it.
3. Something happening to my kid(s)
4. Oatmeal raisin chocolate chip. Yummmmmmmmmmm.
5. Actually, I'd spend some of the money on child care and getting my family in a good financial situation, then I'd donate all my time and the rest of my money to Watoto wa Dunia (I used to be their treasurer), making sure they have good infrastructure/capacity, so that they could expand their programs helping women/children/aids victims in Kenya.

Should be ballancing my checkbook. Probably will lie down and read a book. Ta ta

Mom to ds1 (ASD) born 2004 and ds2 born 2007
#96 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM

i love pink. maybe too much. hot pink n black - oh yes. and soft pink like the soft angora socks i'm wearing today which feel luxurious

ew yeah bleach on the fingers feels GROSS. does vinegar kill mildew? i definitely fight mildew with bleach. if you rinse rinse rinse you should rinse it all away before you'd breathe it. but maybe vinegar works just as well. i clean poo in the little potty with a water/bleach/mrs meyers clean day mixture in a spray bottle. i want it to kill poop particles and but not smell like *just* bleach.
#97 of 316 Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM

1. My favorite color is purple. I tried finding another favorite color in my 20s because I felt purple was too overused in healing circles (which is something else you don't know about me....I'm one of those hippy dippy alt. healing people). But, I really feel it's a good color for me, so I went with it.

2. Lease favorite color: puke green. For obvious reasons.

3. Fears: anything happening to Gabriel (and now the little bean inside). That just makes me shudder to write it.

4. Cookies: I am a huge cookie monster, so pretty much any cookie is loved by moi. Favorites would have to be chocolate chip (esp. with lots of chips and chewy, slightly underbaked); oatmeal chocolate chip; Snickerdoodle (I think this might be a regional cookie, but it's basically like a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon/sugar, except the cookie has cream of tartar in it, so it has more bite than a sugar cookie; and my mom's sugar cookie cutouts that I make every Christmas (and often Valentine's...and Easter...and Halloween!)

5. If I had lots of money to give away: Gee, this is tough. I have been involved with so many great organizations over the past 10 years through the outreach stuff we've done with various churches--mostly involving work with Hispanic immigrants. I'd have to make a list of all of them and designate accordingly.

Good questions! I don't use bleach...this Melaleuca stuff works great without bleach (I sound like an ad ) But, I really haven't needed it here. Though, in Texas, it would have helped with the awful mildew. I also don't use Tylenol or Motrin for G only because he tends to throw it up so it doesn't really do any good. We have a homeopathic kit that has really, really worked well (and Hyland's teething tabs are weak compared to the kit I've got!). Though, if I didn't think he'd hurl it back at me, I'd probably give it to him more!
#98 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 AM

1) I really like purple, and green, and pink. I'm also digging orange lately. I dunno, it's hard to pick a favorite. I just love *color* in general (as opposed to black/brown)...if I accidentally put on a drab outfit I feel out of sorts all day.

(2) So yeah, I guess brown. Although a rich, earthy brown with flecks of gold/red is nice. And chartreuse is pretty nasty by itself. Anything neon. Navy looks horrid on me - brings out the circles under my eyes.

(3) Something happening to Lily or Nat. Hands down. For myself, I think drowning.

(4) Homebaked, I'd say a robust chocolate chip nut concoction. Also these awesome pecan fluff things my mom and I always make at Christmas - basically egg whites, brown sugar, and pecans. From a box: Girl Scout Thin Mints, closely followed by Double Stuff Oreos.

(5) I'm gonna have to agree with Lisa and say a reproductive healthcare/contraception outfit. Whenever we have money to give I donate to Planned Parenthood.

I use bleach super sparingly. I think we've had one gallon the entire time we've lived together. Probably not too safe transporting that stuff across state lines. I only use it on the bathtub rubber mat thingy and other mold-y problem areas. MIL left some nasty bleach bathroom cleaner spray stuff here when she left and I use it ~ once a month on the countertops and cutting boards. When it's empty I won't buy anymore, though. Usually use vinegar for stuff like that.

Went out to tea at the Heathman this afternoon - yum! For you non-PDXers, that's a supah ritzy hotel downtown that serves a snobby holiday tea every year. Crustless cress sandwiches, goat cheese crostini, and scones with marscapone, oh my! Then I came home and had canned soup and cheese toast with the fam.

Sarah
#99 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 01:58 AM

Gaaaah! I am beside myself with a new idea!!!

I have just run into a fabulous opportunity, and I will have more houses than I can handle (to manage)--but anyway my latest & greatest is a HUGE MONGO enormous house with big rooms etcetera, out in the country about 10 min outside of town, and the owner wants to rent it for retreats, family reunions, weddings, etc. and just now, reading our thread the thought occurred to me--as it is occurring to you--

I have our place! Who is signing up???

Okay, it's expensive, but between the families coming I do believe it could totally be reasonable. Like any other big-ass vacation home in a cool spot. If anyone takes this minutely seriously let's chat on YG. And I bet he'd swing us a dealypoo because, after all, I AM the manager!!

There would, of course, be a maid and a cook thrown in. Swimming pool. Amazing views & sunsets. Yoga on the patio. Right by the hot springs.

More later but I'm all amped about this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsmom View Post

I though Chiropracters didn't drink coffee.
Mine told me that if I came more often I wouldn't need it. I pointed out he does not have kids. Besides, I like to feel wired like that.
Sorry HF

I think the laundry fairy went to Holland. Maybe she is at the north Pole. She is certainly not here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
The laundry fairy is chained to my washer (remember the bad poo day? that got us behind--oh ha ha! unintended ), and she's slacking off, so don't expect to see her soon.

Coffee *does* make everything better.

Yea to our super student and our super teacher.

While we're on tylenol confessions...
I don't have any problem giving it, either (I don't think it's a good idea to e.g. just *give it* on a regular basis if your child is having trouble sleeping, but I know *none* of us do that). I was struggling with whether to give it or not for teething pain to T when he was a baby, and a good friend (who'd been an amazing nicu nurse for many yrs at Children's Hospital Oakland) told me this: "If you were dealing with an older child--not a baby--who was in pain, you wouldn't think for a *minute* about it... you'd want to do something for that child's pain. As long as you're giving the correct amount at appropriate times, do NOT worry about using it." So I don't. (She also said that she thought "folk remedies" like rubbing brandy on the gums could be dangerous, and I agree... tylenol seems safer than strong alcohol, *and* you know how much you're giving!) And for the record... Hyland's Teething Tablets have never done ANYTHING for any of my kids when teething (but do I still have some? yes....). Yeah, I think that motrin is actually a little better than tylenol for teething (I learned that with Z and his heinous molars, which thankfully are all here now).

And I'll see your confession bid and raise you... I'll admit that bleach is in my cleaning arsenal. I don't use very much, and I don't use it very often (a gallon will last at *least* a couple of years), but it's just so effective at killing things (like rotavirus) and getting rid of stains (like in our sometimes nasty kitchen sink). The environmentalist in me cringes, but the microbiologist in me feels better having it around "just in case."

Any other confessions?

I enjoyed the 5 questions, and I thought I'd throw out a few.

(1) What's your favorite color? (A few people told us this one.)

(2) What's your *least* favorite? Why? (on both) (I expect much discussion of auras, crystals, birthstones, and crunchy reasons)

(3) What are you most afraid of? (I'm in a discussion group that covered this Monday night, and it was really interesting...)

(4) What's your favorite kind of cookie? (I'll admit, I'm thinking about all the yummy Xmas stuff that I will not be getting to eat, boo hoo, but I guess my thighs will thank me.)

(5) If you could do a Warren Buffet/Bill Gates kind of thing (donate a huge amount of money to charity and/or start your own "do good" type foundation), what would you do?

Mix of the deep and the shallow...

One last thing... recent nutty dream: I'm walking down the street, see a balding man who is nursing a baby. He's wearing a periwinkle polo shirt and a badly fitting nursing bra...
#100 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 02:19 AM

I meant to reply to the above posts but was overcome by new-ideaness.

Bad mama confessions: I have nursed while driving. Sol is often not in a carseat. Actually, I have taken her carseat out of the car. BAD! I need to re-train her because we're goin' stateside in January...

*I know the above is shocking to u.s. sensibilities...please love me anyway!*

I like feeling wired on coffee too, NuggetsmomJacq.

Tomorrow starts a bellydance course I'm teaching here in town. Super excited 'bout it. 3 days, 3 hrs a day.

Fave color: purple and pink. I am thinking sunset shades.

Not-so-fave: hm. Neon is pretty ghastly.

Fear: Failure. Permanent injury. Being unlovable.

Cookie: soft, chewy choc chip with nuts. Peanut butter too.

Money to donate: I would love to dump a huge bill in the hands of the old women beggars that are down here. I would create grant opportunities for youth--ie, people who have great ideas on programs for inner city youth development. Funnel money toward women in need in any capacity.
#101 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 AM

Favorite color - blue. Manganese blue since it is so transparent. But I also like Quinacridone Rose and Lately Quinacridone Gold deep
Least favorite color - Indian Red or else Yellow Ochre. They make the colors just muddy
Cookie -Coconut cranberry chews
Fear - besides my children not outliving me, or them growing up without me, My fear would be that I wouldn't be able to get a job if I had to
Money to Donate-The no child left behind ready to learn grants... : : seriously though - some sort of educational type place-maybe I would set up my own school that was like a homeschool only not really. Or otherwise I would build an assisted living center for people with head and spinal cord injuries where they could live in various degrees of independance but even the people with few abilities could go to the central community center and hang out and play games and whatever.
#102 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Rowan is indeed on the mend, he's sleeping a million times (okay, not a million but MUCH) better than he had been over the weekend, and I haven't even HAD to give him the motrin that is our standby for pain around here!
Tylenol doesn't work for us, never worked for me, I'm an advil girl when I need it, honestly I'm all about the Excedrin migraine but I haven't had it since before I was pregnant (and since we started seeing a chiro I haven't had many migraines! ), since there's aspirin in it and I'm paranoid.
So yeah, during those rough teething times, we used Hyland's and when that didn't work, Motrin.
Miss Juice, I really didn't think you were judging me, I was just feeling insecure. Thank you for clarifying. It's just been a rough week. My doc upped my Prozac yesterday because I actually ASKED her to for the winter months.
I also need to seek some yoga or pilates or some sort of meditative exercise. I think it'll help. Too bad I don't have the $$$ for it! ugh.

The James Kim story is SO sad. All of it is. for him and his family.

ELSANNE! OMG your idea RULES! Sorry for all the all-caps, but YAY! Let's discuss in the YG!

And now, because I have some work to do and here, *I* am the laundry fairy (and the dish, diaper, vaccuum, cat-puke-cleaning, dusting, you-name-it fairy!!) I will leave you with some questions answered:

(1) My favorite colors are black (I'm so goth!), dark reds and greens, orange, and even though it's overused in lots of circles, purples. I also like blues with greys in them. Pinks too, depending on what sorts of pinks.
I like LOTS of colors! Hee. Good colors make me feel just...awesome.

(2) Least favorites, I have to say anything neon (though they do have their place, say, the *80's*! ) chartreuse/yellow-green, and puke greens and muddy browns. They just make me feel icky. Sorry I don't have any crunchy reasons for this! *grin*

(3) I don't even want to say what I'm MOST afraid of, but it's anything happening to Rowan (or DH--but mostly Rowan. DH feels the same way). I am now spitting on the ground and knocking on wood and doing whatever I can to not bring anything upon us!
For myself, I also have a fear of car crashes.

(4) I don't eat cookies as much as you might think, given how often I've had to bake them lately...but I have to say my chocolate chip/cashew butter/walnut cookies rule. I also like a good gingery cookie at holiday-time, and for packaged cookies, I dig me some Oreos (oh man, I haven't had one in AGES! ) Those coconut delites (used to be called Samoas) from the Girl Scouts rank high up there too.

(5) I would definitely have to give a huge chunk of money to Planned Parenthood or some other really pro-choice-pro-woman group out there. It's the first one that comes to mind and I too gvie a bit when we can, usually to PP. Also giving money to an organization that helps victims of domestic violence is high up there.

Okay, babe is still sleeping :, I am almost done with my coffee, and I have an email to write to a friend in California. I hope you all have a wonderful day!
#103 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery View Post
I have an email to write to a friend in California. I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Oooh, it is me? I am glad that Rowan is feeling better!

Els - I like your idea too (!!!!), but timing is everything with all these new babies coming in our group.

Fiddle- Alison has said the same things about the James Kim family. She has taken it really hard (particularly the nursing the kids part) and had a couple of times that she had to hide from her class because she would get weepy. I agree that it must be a relief to know - but oh so unbelievably tragic.

I am loving how everyone is discribing the fave/least fave colors. Just lovely.
#104 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 PM

How IS Allison? I have been thinking about her lately, remembering that our due dates are fairly close. I have been wondering if she is before or after me (I'm early February, and no one is gonna pry the actual date outta me- ha! even dh found out by accident at the ultrasound). I've also been wondering if she's gettin HUGE like me and how it is to be teaching right now. Last time I taught till about a month before L was due, and I remember at the end I had to have the kids come up to me cause I just couldn't circulate around the classroom anymore. Tell her I'm sending many wonderful thoughts her way.

#105 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM

The cookie descriptions are making me hungry. I forgot that I really like PB cookies, but I just don't eat them anymore because it's hard to find/make a good vegan one. Coconut cranberry sounds right up my alley.

If we're talking colors we *wear*, I'm afraid that I will disappoint many of you, because I wear a lot of brown, black, and navy blue--not all together! (Brown and navy especially just work well with my coloring, I guess.) I am definitely an "autumn." Color Me Batty.

I know this is a little nutty :, but I used to be totally OBSESSED about dh or one of the kids dying. (I guess because dh's dad died young, and so did my brother, my mother's brother, my grandmother's brother.) It's *progress* for me to have moved beyond that.

We are in the middle of watching The Hours. Whoa. What a moody movie. I'm enjoying it, but boy, it really gets into the head of a depressed person. I have a sinking feeling, though, that everyone will kill themselves in the end. Another moody movie I have enjoyed is Blue... I saw it not long after my brother died, and I thought, "Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what grief feels like." And on *that* cheerful note, I am positive that it's time to see TBL again (especially after that thing I posted on the YG). But dude, I loves me a good heavy movie.
#106 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsmom View Post
Favorite color - blue. Manganese blue since it is so transparent. But I also like Quinacridone Rose and Lately Quinacridone Gold deep
I don't know what quinacridone is : but it sounds very interesting. Of course, I used to think the same about Chartreuse, but then found out I hated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
I know this is a little nutty :, but I used to be totally OBSESSED about dh or one of the kids dying. (I guess because dh's dad died young, and so did my brother, my mother's brother, my grandmother's brother.) It's *progress* for me to have moved beyond that.
This is my obsession as well. I try not to think about it, but it's hard. I haven't lost anyone close to me, though Dh had a grand mal seizure when I was about 4.5 months pg with this latest baby and it rocked my world. It was, hands down, the scariest thing I have ever seen. I just don't see the world the same anymore. And of course, the Kim story is tearing me up. I do trust that I will move beyond it, but it's still so fresh.
#107 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 PM

If I had a large sum of money to spend on others, I would pay for all of the may mamas (juice, that means you, too! ) and their families to attend The MMF Retreat 2007.
#108 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
I don't know what quinacridone is : but it sounds very interesting.
Nuggets is an artiste getting all technical on us - bless her painter heart. Besides her colors, I pride myself on the fact that I actually know all the colors you listed.

Fiddlefernitude-Alison is doing really well. She's had a totally normal pregnancy and is doing fab. She wants to work until the due date (late January) - there's a school schedule change that week that will make the transition easier for the kids, but that seems really pushing it to me. I went out a week prior to E's date and I thought that was just right.

Anyone do any natural pre-GBS test treatment? Alison wants to do the test. Since she doesn't want abx during labor though she'll let me herb/homeopathic her in advance of the test if I can figure out a recommended protocol.
#109 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 PM

i don't know lisa but that might be a good Q for the main i'm pregnant forum. i'd be curious myself because i'll do the test. or jacquie our resident herbalist should know

my dream last night: i was in england with my friend due late jan. and i think in england they won't tell you the sex even if they do a u/s (i think...or is that in australia?). so my friend and i have to go to the airport and we decide to use some x-ray machine to check our babies. you just stand in front of it and see your baby clear as day in color on a screen...pretty exciting technology. hers was a boy - side view. and mine was a boy -view looking down. later i start thinking maybe that it was the cord not the penis! and realizing that it probably was an x-ray machine and x-rays couldn't be good for the babies (still dreaming). so jasper it was. (jasper is my boy-name and i just call the baby jasper now anyway).

i don't place much weight on the dream though because a friend texted me yesterday that she found out she's carrying a boy.

now doug doesn't want to find out the sex. and he convinced me that we should so i now want to! such a conundrum. this is what happened last time with the circ. (we convinced each other to come around to each other's points). luckily this time the repurcussions don't really matter.

i worked up until birth but i sit down at my job. i can't imagine standing up for very long. sitting was making my ankles swell horrendously though so it sucked too. i am not looking forward to that part (end of pregnancy) again. i think if i had decided to pick a 'quit' date i would have sat around drumming my fingers waiting for labor. i was due may 15 and didn't go into labor until the 26th so it would have been a lot of waiting. working was actually a distraction for me this time though i could use the time to have my last solo moments wtih isaac. i'm sure i'll work up until labor again though.
#110 of 316 Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 PM

"The MMF Retreat 2007"
Yeeeeaaaah!

talk to your dhs, girls, curry a little favor...remember a) the whole family doesn't have to go, and b) you don't have to go for a whole week, and c) just git thine butts down here. I did read those responses who can't go and know that already. Wah...

Juice I hope you are considering this, even for a moment. I don't want you to think that because you haven't been "with us" this whole time you are disqualified.

"Fernitude"!!! LOVE IT!!
#111 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
"The MMF Retreat 2007"
Yeeeeaaaah!

talk to your dhs, girls, curry a little favor...remember a) the whole family doesn't have to go, and b) you don't have to go for a whole week, and c) just git thine butts down here. I did read those responses who can't go and know that already. Wah...

Juice I hope you are considering this, even for a moment. I don't want you to think that because you haven't been "with us" this whole time you are disqualified.

"Fernitude"!!! LOVE IT!!
DH hasn't talked to me about this yet, but I am hoping he read the email. I am figuring that no matter how this works out, we're TOTALLY going! I will ask for it for a birthday gift, I will ask for ROWAN'S birthday, I will say that is the ONLY thing I want for next year! Hahaha.
Seriously though, we usually take a trip to CA once a year, and since we're not planning on that anytime soon (done with d-rama out there (remember my ex and that wedding? ), I sort of need some distance!) I am thinking this might be comparable! *grin*

Anyway, I don't have time to write much more, we gotta get ready to head out this morning to watch my friend's DS. Friday yet again! Hope you all have a great day.

#112 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 PM

Crazy bizzy with bellydancers in my house, bellydance workshop, and all the regular work, oh yeah and then being a mother too.

muchos besos

I am proceeding with the maymexmama plans. Wootie Hootie!
#113 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 PM

re: kk's suggestion in the YG, I think that ya'll should definitely do Mexico, whether or not a PDX gathering also happens at some point. My reasons are...

1. PDX or Mexico. Where would MOST people rather go...
2. Fares into PDX actually tend to be expensive. Back when I used to fly, we always drove up to Seattle and flew out of there.
3. PDX seems to be a convenient stopping place for a lot of May mamas on vacation anyway, so we've been blessed many a time. I think it's Elsanne's turn.

Who knows? Maybe there'll be some crazy $99 fare and babe and I will be able to go at the last minute? I need to say I'm out to be fair and not get hopes up, but I say go ahead and set dates and set things up and then we'll see.

Glad to hear that Allison's doin awesome. I am also very curious to find out how to prep for the GBS test. Inquiring pregnant May Mamas want to know!

#114 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 PM

yeah pdx = boring destination for those of us who live here i'd rather meet in CA if we were going more domestic. i know the labor day weekend date wasn't workign well for kk but i priced around that timeframe airfare for curiosity's sake and it was $670 per ticket : i agree with ff - go ahead with the planning and i'll see what i can do. just me is a lot more doable than the whole fam but i dunno at this point. fun to think about though. i already have a major travel goal for next summer as my parents are currently building their retirement home in the sierras and i want to go stay this summer. they sold a cabin down the street that was our 'cabin' the whole time i was growing up (well, from age 7 onwards). now they are building this one which we still call the 'cabin' but it is definitely not a cabin. doug and i keep telling my parents we're packing it in and moving on down and getting jobs at vons as soon as it is done I WISH. i'm hoping to spend a couple of weeks there this summer though since i'll be on maternity leave and all and no worky worky except baby baby/toddler toddler. i know dh won't be able to take off 2 weeks so he will be bummin

i just want an excuse to use this because it is so freakin cute
#115 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM

I don't think I replied yet, but not sure we could make it. We're doing our Maine thang in August and that's about all our vacation $$ for the year. So since that will be all paid for...come visit me there...it'll be free and beachlike!

Okay six degrees of separation here...have we mostly all met another MM? Well pdx'ers aside. I've met Maggie and Sherri and will meet Renae some one of these days. There have been bay area and pdx and CO meetups... anyone not met a may mama yet?

My confession of the day....after dinner tonight we're going on a binky hunt. Seriously, we have like six and we're down to the last one and she soooo needs it to sleep and stay asleep. vegan nuns love that I bet! Oh and when DH gets home we are ordering chinese because I am NOT cooking tonight.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#116 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 07:50 PM

I could definitely do a California meet-up some day. We could drive, and stay with friends we haven't visited in a long time cause we're po. NOT that I'm trying to distract from the Mexico thing. I definitely think ya'll should do it.

HF- enjoy your dinner.

#117 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 PM

Heather the feather - Hey, we may be up for the Miane thing. Our best friends are moving to Vermont this summer and we'll need to go visit them if I can get off work.

We can also host a California thing.

Here are my Mexico meetup prospects - Maybe. What's the schedule like on the place, Els...do we need to book it soon? It seems do-able (and oh so worth it) in my current status of finance/time but the reality of what life will be like after we pay this mortgage and have only one of us working through September is still an anxiety for me. I am blowing all my vacation time to be with the new babe. That said - I will do whatever I can to be there! It's the best idea ever hatched!!! It's the right thing to do!!! Excessive !!!

Home DSL is set up tomorrow. :
#118 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 PM

I have a hunch that due to the U.S. holiday, we really should commit--it could easily get rented out by someone else for that date. Or, not commit. I think if 5-6 families or people could do it, it could be done. Is it ridiculous to think about any other time of year? ie, when it's cold up there?
#119 of 316 Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 PM

Next December might work for me, but that's a whole year.

The September time frame works currently but I am applying for several jobs at summer camps, so it will depend on those dates.

What about Vegas over Spring Break?

I am DONE with everything for school. Double w00t w00t. So this morning I hit the mall while MIL watched Lily. Oh yeah love the mall. Not really but it was good to get some of my shopping done...also went other places than the mall.

Now for my date with Ben and Jerry!

Sarah
#120 of 316 Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 AM

I'm always so late with this stuff. I can't wait to move into my new house. 10 days!

Favorite color - Periwinkle
Least favorite color - What nugget said. No- I think any color that isn't a color. I need my colors to be bold, assertive, and self-confident.
Cookie -My chocolate chip cookies. No question. I love to make Chocolate chip cookies. yummmy.
Fear - Other than the obvious, my biggest fear right now is that I will never finish my dissertation. So hard to concentrate on being academic when my school is 2000 miles away.
Money to Donate- I would give to a lobby-ing group that worked to get universal healthcare. After recent experiences with my own insurance as well as a good friends, I just don't understand why there can't be universal health care in this freaking country. Really, people. really.

Still trying for a baby. On another cycle, a hellishly long cycle, hoping that this is the one. I figured I had a chemical pregnancy last cycle and it was a serious bummer. Hopefully that gave me what I needed to prime the pump, though...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page