We're Toddlering Now!! Nov 05 mamas, it's December!!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huh. I'm having one of those days that make me wonder why I want to be a parent, and also what I'm doing adding another one to the brood. Theoretically, I have everything I ever wanted- enough money that we know where the rent and the next meal is coming from, three kids and a husband, but right now the only people I want to be around are Skye and the dog, and it's too cold to take Skye out again today.

Fern, thanks! I managed to track some down (my aunt, the source of all knowledge, has some) but I can't get to it until Wednesday when we go up there. I so know what you mean about the way time passes. I miss Alex's sense of wonder and achievement so much, and just wish I knew what I was doing so wrong. I thought this age (6 and 8) was meant to be the easy one?
Enough venting. Happy Christmas, everyone.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

It's my DH's birthday today and I gave him a super-cool John Deere print sling that Amy made (yay Amy!!!) and he LOOOOOVED it. He was so excited when he opened the box, but he didn't realize it was a sling at first. He's all, "wow did you get me a John Deere pillowcase? You know I've been wanting to steal Piper's" (Piper is the little boy next door). Then when he saw it was a sling he got all giddy and stuck Rowan in it right away and demanded I take pictures. So those will be posted on our website soon, I'm sure. Thank you Amy! That was one of the coolest b-day presents I've ever given DH!

Fern, enjoy your day out! I asked for one of those for Christmas too. Well, I asked for 2 hours I could spend at a cafe reading. It would be heaven.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 PM

that's so awesome! my dh won't go near a sling. almost got him to wear a frontpack once, but he seemed intrigued in a mei tai, but i still doubt it will happen. i wish, (not to be conceited) but he's hot... and there's something just plain HOT about a man and a sling!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 12-23-2006, 03:46 PM

totally! i think woman always flirt with my dp when he is carrying one of our kids

i got him a black ergo when ngaio was new. he likes black.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 12-23-2006, 03:49 PM

and sarah, you should totally take some time off to read a book or whatever!.. we all deserve a break once in a while! i think that my only problem with AP is that i feel too attached to my kids to be away from them happily for too long. i just cant stop missing them, even if im so in need of a break. how crazy is that? : i envy moms who can just go and be like they were before they had kids. ive lost my identity as someone without kids. its like im missing half my body and heart when im not right with them.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 12-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Spugh - so so so so so cool!!! I can't wait to see pictures of him with it on. Tell him that if he wants to write a testimonial and send me a pic, I'll put him on the webpage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern
im trying to make it less about gifts and getting and more about just being with family and making things and enjoying the season...i dont want to have to go buy stuff for people just because im expected to. i love giving but i like putting thought into it and my brain is no where to be seen these days. i dont have enuff time in the day to make everything i want to.. im a one woman sweat shop these days as it is...but it doesn't seem to be enough.
I so totally know where you are coming from. That topic was my latest blog entry. I've been so moody this past week because I feel like I do SO MUCH for people all the time, maybe I over-do it and leave myself exhausted and stressed out. But I hate the idea of buying a bunch of useless crap for people, so I try to make everything and I never have enough time to get it all done. :sigh:

Quote:
and..my baby elwynn is going to be 4 in a few days. i can't even begin to believe it. where did 4 years go?
It does go by so fast, doesn't it? That made me think, Could Elwynn be 4 already? And then I realized that in just 3 months, we will have all been together as a DDC for TWO YEARS! Can y'all believe that??!

Quote:
if i could have one wish tonight i would just ask for time to slow down a wee bit so i can savor and remember it all.. is it just me or is the past like a distant memory of a book you ocee read, rather than you real life? i cant remember so many things i was sure i would never forget.
Yes, totally. Thank god for camcorders!! I don't think I really remember anything from the first 2-3 weeks of Brynn's life. And the milestones are already fading; I remember the big ones, but the little ones are hazy already. I guess that's what happens to memories when you never get any sleep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
I'm having one of those days that make me wonder why I want to be a parent, and also what I'm doing adding another one to the brood.
Awww, Mama. I hope by the time you get up and read this on Christmas Eve (it's already Christmas Eve where you are!) that you will be feeling better and that you and Skye will be yeastie-free.

Off to bed with me. I'm zzzzoooooooo tired.

Love and peace to you all tonight, Mamas.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 12-24-2006, 03:57 AM

helen, you are not alone in feeling that way sometimes!

i feel a lot better after my day on the town. i ended up running into an old friend who helped me shop and we drank some tea and i had a much needed converstion with someone older than 4 and not my mother or partner she is actually someone that timothy "got together"with when we were taking a break, when i was pregnant with ngaio. we talked about that and i never really was very upset, but it made it totally clear and okay with me, which is nice.
she was my nose for buying smelly things since im all sick and stuffed up. and i got a few things that i wanted or needed to get.. still not everything but i think that it wil lall work out.

i just made coconut macaroons and elwynn and i decorated our tree which is actually really lovely despite being a fake one and while i was out tim changed the house around and made it all lovely. ill post some pictures of things going on here some day soon.. ive just been so busy and stuff.

happy christmas eve all you folks ahead of time. we are still enjoying the day before the day before christmas. im feeling slightly more festive now as well. .and my sister is having a sleepover which is pretty fun!

4 years ago today i was near to giving birth and so impatient to meet my little one. *sigh* life is good.

Quote:

Old 12-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Yep. It's 7.55pm here now. The boys are long-gone, and I'm trying not to think about that. Isaac left his kitty (wheatbag with a face) behind, and Steve has hidden the car keys to stop me driving it to him. Skye is asleep on her daddy's chest, the stockings are out and the presents aren't yet wrapped. Oh, and I have half a hundredweight of parsnips waiting to be roasted
Fern, I think it's so cool that you can get on well with Timothy's maybe, and still be good friends. The tea and gossip sounds like it did you good, but you can keep the coconut macaroons- the sound of them is making me quease. I hate the smell of coconut I'll trade you cranberry, oatmeal and white chocolate cookies instead.
Sarah, I'm sure Santa will find you a way of bringing you civilised reading-in-a-cafe time, even if it's disguised as "nap in the sling" or something. The sling looks gorgeous in store, btw (I just peeped at Amy's site, I had no idea what John Deere was)
I think my moodiness is just hormones, and thrushy irritability and stuff. The good news is that I'm not hurting any more and her skin looks better. Our nappies are soaking in a huge quantity of napisan, which might help.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Almost finished everything for Christmas - I've got all but 4 presents wrapped, stained-glass cookies for the neighbour's kids made, all neighbourhood presents delivered (we made some really nice-smelling spray cleaner for everyone) and "stockings" sorted out (actually plastic bags, the stockings are stashed in the bedroom closet and I can't go grovelling about in there because Rowan is asleep). The only thing I didn't manage to do was finish off the playsilks for Rowan. I am sad about that, but I won't be able to finish them tonight. She still has 2 pairs of Robeez, some markers, some crayons, a scribble pad, and new pyjamas to open, although I expect she'll get much more of a kick out of the wrapping paper than anything that's inside it.

I am looking forward to dressing Rowan up in her cute Christmas outfit (not christmassy, just special) tomorrow. Is that wrong? I used to love dressing myself up, I've just transferred that onto Rowan.

I'm also looking forward to giving DH his gifts (waterproof work gloves and a handheld GPS). Not so looking forward to Christmas dinner - it's always a big hoo-ha with too many people and awful food. One day, one day we will have our own house and I will insist on at least once in a while having Christmas dinner there and I will cook it and it will be GOOD. One day...

I hope everyone has a very happy Christmas and gets lots of hugs and cuddles from their little ones!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-25-2006, 07:01 AM

Yes, I totally understand holidays while living with the parents... and being married with kids.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and everyone is safe and happy with the ones they love.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM

Merry Christmas
Mamas, DHs, DPs,
and babies!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:31 PM

And a very merry Christmas to you.

It's almost all over here. FIL has gone back to hospital, and the day passed very smoothly and quietly- apart from Skye's 5 hour tantrum through lack of sleep. Just nice time for Doctor Who and beating dh to a pulp with our brand new family games console.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
Yes, I totally understand holidays while living with the parents... and being married with kids.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and everyone is safe and happy with the ones they love.
Oh, we don't live with the ILs - but we do live in the same town and our place is way too small to host any dinner let alone Christmas.

We just spend most of Christmas day at the IL's. Right now Rowan is passed out on the floor of the study so I am playing computer while she sleeps. (forgot the baby monitor and the study is out of squawking distance)

Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

hoping everyone is having themselves a merry little christmas
surrounded by the love of your families
and feeling the joy of the season.

may you
eat gingerbread
drink cocoa and mulled wine
sing carols
and watch "it's a wonderful life"!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 AM

happy day everyone!

we had a pretty lovely chrsitmas day today... it felt all magicaland fun despite my earlier complaints.. we gave some gifts, recieved some gifts..made a feast and shared it with friends and family... our house feels all cozy and full of lovely things.. and im so in love with the wooden play kitchen we gave them. ill post pictures tomorow..because i so wnat you all to see the knit food i spent hours making

but im still sick and so are timothy and ngaio..elwynn is sniffly now too.:

he will be 4 in a few hours and im looking forward to a quiet celebration tomorow.. i made a carrot cake tonight for his cake and we have a few gifts and plan to make some crafts and go for a walk in the woods. i want to have a big party, but its so not a great day for getting folks together, so another daywhen christmas maddness is calmed down a bit.

i still cant believe ive been a momma for 4 years and 9 months now : i still feel 11 most of the time.

Quote:

Old 12-26-2006, 07:22 AM

Happy birthing day, Fern I keep forgetting Elwynn is a Christmas baby.

FWIW, because Isaac's birthday is in the middle of the school holidays and I love Alice in Wonderland, we have unbirthday parties. When things are a bit crap and we need brightening up, we have Isaac's unbirthday . It's generally the highlight of the kids year cos you don't know when it's happening.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 AM

That's such a cute idea.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:16 PM

that is a brilliant idea!

HappyBirthdayElwynn!

Quote:

Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Happy Birthday Elwynn!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:34 AM

:Happy Birthday Elwynn!!!:

I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday. We have been so blessed with good times and fun, and gifties too! We didn't exchange gifts at our house (we rarely did, even before Isa was born), but there were SO many gifts at other peoples homes waiting for us, there was really no need for us to get in on it. I think we're going to do ONE gift for each person in the family starting next year. I hope to do handmades.

We have generally 8 (yes, EIGHT) places to go on or around Christmas day...: So it's taken its toll on us (especially little Isa who, as it turns out, has a double ear infection ) But even though our house is a mess, dishes are piled in the sink, and I could use a shower too , I feel a full feeling of bliss and satisfaction. I am ready to host a family friendly New Year's party next weekend and begin the new year on a happy note.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:05 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELWYNN!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh...Christmas is over & I can relax. Sort of. In case anyone else forgets that while breastfeeding a toddler, what goes into your body goes into theirs, take my words of advice: DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT EAT ABSURD AMOUNTS OF PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE AND EXPECT YOUR CHILD TO ACT NORMAL!!!!! : Noah was on the biggest sugar buzz this evening, without putting the slightest bit of sugar in his own mouth. I felt SOOOOOOOOO bad. For both of us! He woke up from his only nap today at 3:30. Didn't go to sleep until I drove him around at 10PM!!!: The kid was seriously running around in circles cackling hysterically immediately before I put him in the car. My son is sooooo super sensitive to sugar and people wonder why I won't let him have a cookie "every now and then!"

All in all, we had a wonderful holiday. We were blessed to be surrounded by loved ones all weekend. There was great food, great beer and some gift giving. Christmas day was fairly quiet for us as we did most of our celebrating the two days prior. EEKS! And my sister got engaged! I almost forgot!

Eeks! And guess what??? I'm learning how to knit! I am about 10 inches into my very first scarf!!!! I it!!!

Spiritmomma: to Isa! I used Garlic & Willow oil in Noah's ear and it helped tremendously! We went back to have his ear rechecked last week and it's completely cleared up. I was wondering if that may have been why she was so fussy. Sorry it was a double whammy!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Happy birthday Elwynn!

And a belated merry christmas to all who celebrate, and happy boxing day to my the canadians (and brit- you guys started boxing day, didn't you?).

We made a quick trip back to Canada for Christmas, but I worked today so we travelled home yesterday. It was good to see family and friends, and I think worth the trip and all of the driving!!!

I'm trying to make more time in my life for reading and sewing, so have needed to reduce my on-line time. But I'm still reading and trying to stay caught up. Hugs to all of the sick babies and mamas, I hope you're all feeling better soon. Imagine if we weren't nursing how much worse it could all be!!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELWYNN!!! ( a couple of days late).

Hope you all had a delightful day, and happy birthday day, Fern.

I love this week...between Christmas and New Year's, when it's festive, but calmer.

Not much time at the moment, but will check in soon. So glad to hear about all of your Christmases, which sound lovely.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 AM

Guess whose back hurts a whole lot less? MINE! I picked up my Ergo carrier tonight! Fortunately I picked it up on the way to go grocery shopping so I had an immediate test drive. Ahhh.... so comfy, so cozy, so easy to nurse in while absent-mindedly scouring the sale racks.... *sigh* How did I go so long without the Ergo???

Knitting is going swimmingly too. I finished my first diaper cover (using this pattern) and am now most of the way through my second pair (using this cool wrap pattern). Thanks for the inspiration, ladies!

Isa's ear infection(S!) seem to be healing quite well with the anti-biotics : I know, I know... she's on probiotics too and eating lots of yogurt... I was desparate! I just hope we can keep the thrush at bay and heal her gut afterward... I just waited too long to take her to the doctor, so I never realized it was ear infections. I thought she was teething!!! :

Hope everyone is well... Off to !
Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM

Hi Mamas! Hope everyone had as lovely a holiday as we did. It was so nice, just how I wanted it to be. For a few pics and the details, you can click.

Other than that, my big news is that I fell down our stairs on Wednesday, while holding Brynn. Our house was built in 1840 so the stairs are wood, and really steep and narrow. I was on the top step, wearing only socks, and my feet slipped right out from under me and I went down all 12 steps *on my ass*, clutching Brynn so she wouldn't fall. She made it down fine (although she was scared witless), but I am pretty sure I fractured my coccyx. Or as Jason said, "Honey, I'm pretty sure you busted your arse." Anyway, it was incredibly painful (natch) and I am still hobbling around here like a gray-haired old lady, and have several huge bruises on my upper legs and hiney. Not fun. At least Brynn is OK though.

Also, Jason is officially beginning his job search as of now, so if you have any extra vibes to send out after thinking of DiD's hubby, please send luck to us! He officially gets out of the Navy on May 31st, but because of his accrued leave time, he can actually start a new job as early as late March, so we have quite a big comfortable window for him to start a new job. He's working with two headhunter companies, too, so he'll be going to two back-to-back hiring conferences in Dallas at the end of January, and he's also got a really good lead on a huge company that is developing a new disaster relief division (disaster relief/humanitarian aid is Jason's specialty). So as of now, I'm not feeling stressed at all because I am feeling really sure that he will get a good job. I'm just excited to find out what it will be and where we'll be moving!!

Can you believe this year is over, ladies?? Ours just flew by. I really wonder where we will be and what we'll be doing this time next year!

Oh! I totally forgot to mention something. I'm not sure if y'all remember my post from a couple of weeks ago about my pregnant friend who tested in the positive range for Down Syndrome? Anyway, today is her follow-up appointment and she has elected to go ahead with the amnio. I asked her if it would make a difference, i.e., if she would abort the pregnancy if she found out that the baby did have DS, and she said no. I asked her what the point was of getting the amio in that case, and she said she just has to know with 100% certainty as soon as possible. She talked to another OB about it (not just the OB she's been seeing) and the new doctor told her that all of the statistics that people quote are just "scare tactics" and that amios are safe. It just makes me really sad because I would bet a million dollars that the reason her results came back positive is because they don't know how far along she really is, so the quad screen was not given during the appropriate window...and if anything happened to her baby, it would just be so senseless. Anyway (sigh), please keep Rebecca in your thoughts today if you can.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:41 PM

: for Rebecca for you! There is no way that I would let a doctor near my stomach if I was pregnant for an amnio... My feelings toward my kids are unconditional no matter what the case and I wouldn't want to risk it. Suprisingly, doctors are probably the best at scare tactics.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Geez Amy, that's so sad about your friend Rebecca. That is exactly why I will never have those tests done during pregnancy, because like her, I wouldn't choose to abort, so what's the point of all the worry?? Why not just enjoy the pregnancy & deal with any potential health issues when it's necessary, y'know?

A friend of a friend went through something similar last year, & they chose to abort. It was really, really sad. The whole family mourned, the couple had been trying to get pg for a long time. I was sad for them, but I could not help but think *what if the stupid test was wrong*?? I think that question would haunt me for life if I made the same decision.

Anyway, I do hope her amnio turns out fine.

And also, good luck to your DH in his job search! DiD's honey did find a new job (yay!), so we can now all direct our job getting vibes toward your man.

I had a bizarre adventure last night. We discovered one of our chickens had found a spool of thread & tried to eat it (the chickens are still too young to be outside & so are running amock in our garage). The poor thing was standing there pulling & pulling backwards with thread stuck inside her mouth trying to get free. So I brought her in & started trimming the thread away. It turned out that somehow she'd managed to get the thread tied tightly around her tongue & when pulling back, the knot tightened up even more & it was digging in to her tongue (ouch!). My poor dumb chicken!

So I spent over an hour trying every which way to snip the loop of thread that was around her tongue. It was so hard because it was stuck waaay back on her tongue, practically in her throat, & since it was digging in so deep it was hard to SEE it, let alone slip scissors under it. Eventually I had my dd hold Henny Penny's tongue way out, I pried her mouth open with one hand, held the tiny swiss army knife scissors with the other, aimed everything at the lamp so I could see, and after about 25 tries, FINALLY got her poor tongue free of the thread! My poor chicky, I was afraid she was going to go into shock from all the stress. But she's fine. And all my thread is now very, very well hidden.

Whew, crazy pets. :

Ps. Still TTC..... still waiting to O actually.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:44 PM

Ps again. I'm getting married one month from today.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM

Oh my goodness! Congrats!!! You are all such a beautiful family!!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
Oh my goodness! Congrats!!! You are all such a beautiful family!!
Thanks! :

User Tag List