We're Toddlering Now!! Nov 05 mamas, it's December!!!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2006, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aww Bex, that is awful! Poor baby! How is she doing this morning?

Spughy is Rowan feeling better? I hope your procedure goes smoothly and you're back in the saddle again in no time!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM

Bex, get some arnica (homoeopathic) in her asap. Have you got anything frozen? Banana? Ice lolly? Icecream?
FWIW, I think every family has a child like that. Isaac went to school this morning with crusted blood snot from when he fell into the laundry basket last night and banged his nose, came home yesterday with a triangular bruise right in the middle of his forehead and spent three weeks unable to eat proper food because his wobbly tooth hurt so much. That's at 6- can you imagine what he was like as a toddler?
Spughy

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Hey mamas, Thank you so very much for listening. It means a lot!!

The night was loooong. Up every 45 minutes to an hour, finally was able to give her more Motrin at 3:30 a.m. and then she slept until 7:45 a.m. I tried the water in the night but she didn't want it. She was able to nurse without crying sometime during the night and is back to normal this morning, though her feelings seem to be a little hurt, if that makes any sense? She's just sensitive today I guess. I would be too!

Helen, all I have in Arnica gel, for topical use. How do you use it internally? Is there an oil or a tablet or something? With her personality it sounds like I should have some on hand at all times.

I will still try all of your suggestions today as I feel like it will probably start to bother her as the day progresses.

She's fussy now so I need to run, but thank you all a thousand times! I'll be back later when she naps...

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Old 12-06-2006, 12:29 PM

My friend Carrie gave us this little thing that looks like a tube of chap stick that has little tiny pellets of arnica inside. I mean, they are the size of Isa's pinkie toenail! She has taken them with no problem. If I offer it to her in my hand, she'll pick it up and put it in her mouth.

How's she doing this morning, Bex80?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 PM

bex.. thats so scary! my wee one is very accident prone as well.. she is always climing stuff and falling off.. she is rough and tough.. not much blood yet, but i can only imagine..: shes going to be a daredevil to the extreme im sure

i 3rd the arnica suggestion.. my kids always ask for it when they get any kind of owie. a kiss and some arnica usually makes it all better..

mouth wounds do tend to heal quickly and safely since they are away from outside bacteria and mucous membranes are very resiliant..

love to you!

i dont have to work today!! YAY!!!! i just got a call that the kids are sick. im so happy! i wanted to spend the morning nesting..baby comes this afternoon and i feel all nesty and excited. so its perfect, plus i still get payed

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 12-06-2006, 01:03 PM

bex- oh no, poor abigail. I'm glad she's a little better today but that must have been a tough night, and so sad to see her having trouble nursing I was going to say, motrin and giving her something cold to chew on/drink to numb it a little. I need to get us some homeopathic arnica.

spughy sorry you missed the appt- hope you can get in again soon. and i really hope the situation can be resolved soon. and your poor dh's nose, that is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Ahh, Helen - don't hate Brynn because she's beautiful!
hee hee hee!

speaking of getting hurt, I slipped this morning getting off ethan's school bus, and seriously snapped my neck. it hurts so bad! I can barely do anything, and all I have is a heating pad but it's hard to just sit here with it when ezra needs me. I gotta keep moving no matter what, I can't just lay here! I am trying to take 5 mins. at least.

Fern- waaahoooo about the baby!!
Old 12-06-2006, 03:16 PM

It's like accident central here, ladies! Y'all be careful today. Mary, ouch!! I hope your neck is feeling better soon. Those kinds of injuries always seem to take several days, unfortunately. Speaking of accidents, this one wasn't major, but yesterday I was walking up the stairs and tripped on the last step and flung my cell phone about 5 feet in the process. Now my right leg muscles are all sore from catching me. Thankfully I wasn't carrying Brynn, but it made me think again how much I HATE our stairs!! Our house was built in 1840, so the steps are really tall and narrow and they each have a lip overhanging about an inch or so. How stupid is that?

We're having a *challenging* morning here; I think Brynn has reached a new an previously undocumented level of clinginess and frustration. Like, crying hysterically because I got into the shower. Crying because I made her close the dryer. Crying because I wouldn't let her touch the knife I was using to cut up some cheese. Crying because I closed the patio door after letting the dog out. Dear lord!! I feel bad for her, but also feel a little frustrated myself! She's also been nursing a ton the past few days, so maybe she's growing or getting another tooth or just generally not feeling well. Interestingly, she has been eating a LOT more food the past fe w days, so that has been kind of fun. She loves cheese! And, tomatoes, which I find kind of funny. : Woo, there goes one now! Speaking of cheese, she just asked for some so I'd better go give her some more. I'm trying to make sure she's also getting some fiber in there so her little digestive system doesn't get all blocked up! That'd be fun.

FERN!! I am so super excited for you, and great that you got the day off to prepare. Oh and I was going to tell you, I posted a pic of Brynn her new hat on my blog. Check it out! It's in my sig. It's so beautiful, I just love it!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Fern - how exciting!!!! I can't wait to hear about your new baby! And that's a lovely hat you knitted Brynn!

Bex80 - oh, your poor little girl! I hope she is feeling better today. Were you able to get some booby juice into her via alternate means?

Rowan is still snuffy. She couldn't sleep in her crib last night because her snotty nose kept waking her up - poor little bunny just lay there crying, didn't even try to stand up like she normally does when she wakes. She ended up sleeping propped up on daddy on the couch. But aside from snuffies, she is pretty cheerful during the day. I am constantly amazed at what a cheerful little soul she seems to have. Nothing much gets to her - the cat and dog regularly demonstrate strong antipathy towards her but she still screeches happy sounds at them and tries to cuddle them (and she's still blowing snot bubbles onto the cat She falls down and bashes herself regularly but is soothed so easily with a cuddle and a close examination of one of the suncatcher crystals hanging in our window. She frequently gets yelled at : for splashing all the water out of the dog's bowl but just sort of shrugs and runs off to find new mischief. And yet, as a small baby, ANYTHING would set her off crying, she was SO sensitive and mercurial. I guess that's what attachment parenting does for a baby's temperament!

(Ok not really YELLED at for splashing in the dog's bowl, more like an exasperated "ROWAN!!!" and removal of said bowl...)

Oh and Amy - I found Chilean blueberries in the grocery store yesterday - they are Rowan's fave... try them with Brynn, they are an excellent source of fibre.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Amy, Abigail had been displaying a lot of the same behaviours as Brynn, I wonder if it is developmental? I have noticed especially the increase in nursing and the crying out of frustration. Whenever I sit down she makes a beeline to me and tries to lift up my shirt. And she hates having anything taken awa/removed from her.

Abigail seems much better so far today. Thank you all so much! When we are out late I will go by the HFS and see about some Arnica tabs. I was going to tell more about her accident-prone ness, but she didn't nap for long and I had to get ds from pre-k. Now we are downstairs watching Polar Express before lunch. I have about 3 more minutes before Abigail gets tired of playing with the extra keyboard on the ground next to me.

Amy-I hope your sore muscles feel better soon, that sort of fall is painful and such a weird way to fall. Falling up.

ItsyBitsy-I hope your neck feels better asap! Do you see a chiro? can you do any sort of heattherapy (rice sock?) in the meantime? Oh, we are a bunch of hurtin' families recently that's for sure.

Fern-YAY!!! Tell us all about the new babe!!! I'm also sorry but glad to hear that you have a rough and tumble toddler. It will be interesting to comiserate over the coming days as they get more and more mobile and active. Abigail crawls and climbs over anything we will allow her to get near!

Helen-Thank you again for the suggestions and commiseration. I'm sorry to hear that your Isaac is like that, but as you said, there's got to be one in every family huh?

Much love to you all, and Happy Birthday to Winter!!! I completey hijacked his birthday eve.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 AM

Well mamas, no clumsiness here, just illness still.: Noah officially wraps up our DDC tomorrow on his 1st birthday and he's still not feeling so hot! As a matter of fact, last night, he slept from 5:30pm until 7:15am this morning. SERIOUSLY. Not joking. Under normal circumstances I would be so thrilled to have the time to myself but knowing how miserable he was made me really sad. Then to boot, he just threw up about 45 minutes ago. Now, it's probably from one of two things, no...probably both. He was away from me for 8 hours today (with his dad, longest he's ever been away from me) and we had scrambled eggs for dinner. I gave him scrambled eggs about a week and a half ago and he threw up ALL. NIGHT. LONG. I honestly only slightly questioned whether it was the eggs at the time. After tonight, he will not get another taste of egg for a very long time! Here's hoping Noah is feeling 110% for his birthday tomorrow!

Spiritmomma: Thanks so much for hosting playgroup today! It really helped to have lots of love and mama support around me all day!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 AM

poor little noah!!! i hope he's feeling much much better for his birthday.
sending birthday and get well wishes his way.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 AM

Poor babe Noah. Feel better soon little man and mama.

Wait! Now it's Happy Birthday time!!!

: :HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOAH SAGE!: :

Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 AM

Happy Birthday Noah!!!!!!!

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 AM

:Happy Birthday Noah!!! :
Feel better soon, big boy!

And happy birthing day, Michelle!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:06 AM

I'm back to tell y'all that I have discovered the source of Brynn's unusual mood this past week: she got a new tooth! Number 5 cut through her bottom gums last night and don't I feel like a dummy for not having figured that out until *now*. DUH! So, poor punkin. I'm sure its mate will be popping up in the next few weeks as well, so at least I'll be expecting it.

On a totally different note, I am addicted to my new blog!! It is so satisfying and creatively fulfilling to me. And, since my biological clock is obviously haywire, whenever I have insomnia at 4:00am, it gives me something productive to do. So now that I've made the entry for today (all about Brynn EATING, y'all! She's eating, finally!), I'm going to see if I can go back to sleep for an hour or so.

Fern, can't wait to hear how it's going with the new babe!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Hey, a tooth! I wouldn't kick yourself too hard Amy, the thing about teething is that it's only obvious in retrospect. Way to go on the eating- Skye is suddenly waking only once a night since my milk supply shot up so there is hope, I promise.
I know what you mean about blogging, though- anyone fancy a Nov05 blogring? It might get Fern to update more frequently (I'm teasing, I know you're busy with new babies) and keep the rest of us in touch.
Anyone remember the saga of my diet Coke addiction? Well, I'm nearly off the junk- I have a star chart and every time I drink something that isn't coke, I get a star. If I get 8 stars in a day, I get to spend one pound on yarn, and hopefully, by the end of 6 weeks I'll have enough to justify spending the money that I was going to spend anyway on the cardigan I was going to knit anyway : And yes, I know star charts are bad GD, though I forget why, but sod it, I get a kick out of drawing little crayon stars on my chart. Anyhow, since I've been low-coke, I've noticed that my milk supply has shot up to the extent that the baby who has been drinking from 2 breasts for- like, forever- is now often satisfied with one at a time. Is this weird or what?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 AM

: : Happy Birthday Noah Sage!: :

flapjack, I'd add my myspace blog to the Nov05 blogring... can't promise I'd update it any more than usual thogh... It's usually just random musings. They tend to come in spurts, 5 in a week, then nothing for 2 weeks, etc....

Fern: I hope all is well in your home. I know you must be very busy adjusting to your new (and happy!) situation. Let us know how things are going!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is Noah really our last DDC baby?
Happy birthday sweet one!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOAH!!!!

I hope you're both feeling beautifully today!

fern~ can't wait to hear about the baby boy in your home and in your arms.

*amy*~ hooray for brynn eating!
...finley seems very similar to brynn in the eating department, and last night, for the first time ever, he kept asking and asking for more and more manchego cheese! i was so excited. now i'll have to make sure he gets plenty of blueberries in too, per spughy's suggestion to you.

and flapjack~ congrats on cutting out the diet coke! i used to be an addict myself, years ago, and it feels so good to be rid of the junk. i understand the struggle, though. kudos to you, mama!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 PM

How do we go about setting up a blogring? My blog is http://www.photogrove.com/journal - I update several times a week. We started it as a way for our families to get almost daily updates on our kids, since we live almost 1000 miles away! When we move back to Virginia next spring, I wonder if I'll be as good about updating... Maybe, its become a habit now, after all.

Ellie has suddenly increased her nursing quite a bit the last few days! I don't mind, but I just don't know why. I guess she's about to have a growth spurt.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Happy Birthday Noah and Michelle!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 12-07-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

FERN!! What about your new baby!!!! No fair teasing us like that!!!

Helen - the reason your milk supply increased so dramatically is that by drinking something other than diet coke, you are suddenly HYDRATING your body instead of dehydrating it. Diet coke is a wicked diuretic. And evil and bad in so many other ways. You will probably find that you actually lose some weight by giving it up, too, since your body is not reacting to the artificial sweeteners any more.

They're finally paving our road today! Yay! The actual end of roadworks! Finally!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 12-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Yeah, Flapjack. That stuff is BAD. Yay for you for getting off of it!!

QoC, I love your blog! I never knew about it. Killy is getting SO BIG; I dont' think I've seen pics of him since we were all pregnant! He looks so much like you, too. That icon of the slinging Mama you have is really cool too. OK, I am so mortified to have to ask this, but what is your first name? I know I knew it back when...but it's disappeared from my brain. : Anyway, do you mind if I link to you from my blog? Oh, and your carseat poncho sounds so cool. Do you have apic of it?

Seriously Fern. What a tease!!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM

Amy - you crack me up! My name is Jen - considering that I was born in the '70s in America, you could probably have guessed it! (The funny thing is, my parents only knew one person growing up in their town named Jennifer, so they thought it was unusual.) Of course you can link to my blog! Killy is quite the big boy, and now that's he's talking ALL THE TIME, he comes up with the funniest things that have me just rolling in the floor most days. Its funny, he looks soooo much like me (check out our baby pictures) while Ellie is a clone of DH (check out this picture from Easter)!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:53 PM

Oh, yeah - the slinging mama icon was designed by my hubby. Its supposed to be me, I had the ends of my hair dyed pink and blue a couple years ago. And, I'll try to add a pic of the poncho on my blog sometime later today. Right now I'm off to catch up on laundry (5 clean loads to put away - am I the only person who doesn't mind washing and folding but hates actually putting away clothes?)...

Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 PM

Can I join you ladies...I didn't find MDC until after DS was born and I've been lurking around. I was on PregnancyWeekly but the board is super mainstream and I don't fit in their very well. I am learning the ropes here at MDC and would love to be a part of a *tribe*
Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Of course you can- but we need more information about you. Who are you, and where's the Arch?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Kaspirant!!! Of course you can join us! It'd be nice if you post a bit about yourself. D'ya have a blog? We're all about the blogs today apparently

I just started a livejournal.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Haven't posted to my blog in a while, but I'm at www.myspace.com/jaymitharp
kaspirant!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM

Happy birthday Noah!!!

Welcome, kaspirant.

I'm blogless, and trying to limit my time spent on the internet (without great success). But I enjoy reading all of yours

And congrats on the diet coke elimination, Helen. Can you believe that the hospital where I'm working has a free soda fountain for patients and staff on L&D, and presumeably on other wards, too? Please tell me this isn't standard in the US :

Q of C- I hate putting laundry away, too. Most of all I despise matching up and folding socks.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

User Tag List