We're Toddlering Now!! Nov 05 mamas, it's December!!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 340 Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am envious of all you mamas of enthusiastic nursers! Rowan would happily go all day without nursing, I know. She never asks, I just nurse her when I can convince her it's a good idea. Nighttime though - WHOLE different story! Bedtime nurse, 10 pm dream feed, then she wakes up at around midnight and wants boobies, then she has to go sleep with daddy so mummy isn't a total basket case at work the next day. She doesn't wake up until she's really hungry with dad (which is usually around 6:30) and nurses, then sometimes she'll nurse again when she wakes up around 7:30-8 but sometimes she's too busy and she won't. I'm sure the night nursing is due to teething, and on the one hand I'm kind of glad she's nursing at night so she's at least getting milk, but on the other hand I wish she'd be a boobie monster for the afternoon (when I'm home anyway) instead. But no, I'm lucky to get one good nursing session in the afternoon, and sometimes not even that and I have to pump. DH has actually been asking for booby juice to give her in a sippy cup while they read stories though, which is GREAT.

Fern - I am so happy for that little boy. It makes my heart feel good, too. I wish every neglected baby on the planet could have a MamaFern.

And Amy - that is the CUTEST picture of Brynn. Definitely save it for when she has boyfriends!!!! (Or girlfriends. You just never know right? )

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#182 of 340 Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 PM

MamaFern - How exciting!! My kiddo is in 12-24mo clothes...what do you need? PM me...

spughy - Ack...that's so not fun I'm sorry. My evenings are spent ONLY nursing becaus I am a WOHM and he will take the bottle at DC...but he prefers it from the tap...so once I get home till I wake up in the morning he's attached....it makes for a LONG night...but I live it at the same time.

GAH. I'm so frustrated. I want to be happy and share my happy...why can't mainstream friends realize that different...doesn't mean I'm maiking fun of them or look down on them...or care less about them ... *my girls* that I've been a part of since I found out I was pregant can't just be happy for me...Grrr...gotta move on I think...

My little joy!!
#183 of 340 Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM

Fern, I'm ecstatic that little boy has found himself with you! I imagine he is in heavenly bliss, sleeping in that sling, feeling refreshed with clean, organic clothes, and of course, feeling your warmth and love.

Spughy, if it makes you feel any better, Finley often nurses that much at night plus tons during the day. I know the pumping thing isn't fun, though, and I'm sorry about that, though hopefully the sippy cup of breast milk for storytime with DH will work out!

Kaspirant, I feel your pain...I have quite a few mainstream girlfriends, (though most are from before I was pregnant), and it can be really hard...to relate, to make sure they understand I'm not looking down on them by doing what I'm doing, and to withstand the criticism and crazy-looks. The friendships definitely change or fade away...

Finley is signing more, which makes this deaf sign language teacher very happy : He's been doing the sign for snow when we read "Snowy Day", esp. after our snowy weekend. Last night, we read a book about Christmas scents where the bear smells the Christmas tree, and he closed the book, got off the bed, and led us to the living room where he smelled (and got us to smell) our Christmas tree. So cute! He also had a dancing session with my DH to Van Morrison last night...they were rocking out, and at one point, he went over to his piano and starting playing and dancing at the same time, and then looking over his shoulder smiling at us, and dancing some more. It was hysterical, as if he were running over to play his solo during a concert.

And after many late nights in a row, it seems to have caught up with him, and he went to sleep at 6. I'm enjoying the downtime.
#184 of 340 Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Kaspirant, I feel your pain...I have quite a few mainstream girlfriends, (though most are from before I was pregnant), and it can be really hard...to relate, to make sure they understand I'm not looking down on them by doing what I'm doing, and to withstand the criticism and crazy-looks. The friendships definitely change or fade away...

I'm noticing that...and it's so hard to let go...but it seems that is the right answer...
#185 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 AM

You may find you become closer. I lost one of my best friends in the year after her daughter was born, when a horrible conjunction of circumstances- PND, nursing difficulties, a total idiot for a partner, money worries, and everything else got on top of her. She didn't want to talk to me, see me, be near me- and then on top of everything else they were cat-visiting last Xmas and Amy (cat) died in our arms within minutes of us walking through the door, and for her, that was the final straw.
Now, I'm nearly 200 miles away and I think we've talked more in the last two months (though mostly via messenger) than we did in the year before that. It can get better.
Can I brag? Skye slept through the night, for a whole 7 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!
(admittedly, she didn't nap at all during the day cos of the builders.)
AND...
Can anyone give me any bright ideas on what to do for 2 hours, locked in a bedroom with a 12mo, a computer and the internet, a kingsize bed and some bricks? At the moment she's lacing a feather boa through the ironwork but I don't think that's going to last long...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#186 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM

Let her stack the bricks, and then play Heads, Shoulders, Knees & Toes!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#187 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Let her stack the bricks, and then play Heads, Shoulders, Knees & Toes!
That's our car game

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
Spughy, if it makes you feel any better, Finley often nurses that much at night plus tons during the day. I know the pumping thing isn't fun, though, and I'm sorry about that, though hopefully the sippy cup of breast milk for storytime with DH will work out!
Well, I have to pump a couple times a day anyway because I still feel a lingering bit of mastitis-ish something in my boob, and Rowan seems unconcerned with cleaning that boob out ever. Once in a while during a dream feed I can get her to finish it, otherwise, after nursing, I can usually pump out at least an ounce, sometimes more. So I pump in the morning after she nurses and before I go to work - and do both boobs, to get a good 3-4 oz, and then again in the evening, when usually just the one boob will yield 2-3 oz. Then she's got a good snack for the middle of the day, and booby juice to rehydrate her morning prunes.

Last night she ate a whole piece of homemade pizza, then some extra cheese and pineapple on top of that. Little greedy-guts!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#188 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM

I can't get over my shock at how much Skye can eat. We went out for dinner last night, and she ate a whole roast potato, three strips of parsnip, a yorkshire pudding, bits of meat about the size of her fist, carrots, broccoli and peas. And THEN she had the nerve to start coveting my pudding!
Hopefully, I can have my house back by tomorrow afternoon. Please.
BTW, I'm confused- why do you need bricks to play Heads shoulders knees and toes?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#189 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM

Oh I can't even imagine being stuck in the bedroom with DS. I mean I'd love the time with him...but I'm sure we'd both be insane. I do hope you find fun things to fill your day. Do you live somewhere where outside is an option. I'm spoiled I know...I live in SoCal outside is almost always an option for us
#190 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Flapjack, I know there are people who would say this is wrong, but I do a google image search for things I know Rowan likes to look at (cats, birds) and we look at pictures on the computer. That keeps her happy for a bit, especially if she's having a fuss.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Rowan popped out another molar yesterday! Now she's got top and bottom molars on one side of her mouth, but not the other.

#191 of 340 Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Outside is kind of an option- we both have wellies and waterproofs . We spent all morning at the shopping centre- first we got our kitchen planned, then went out for coffee and to the park and library. There can't be too many places on this planet with Borders, Starbucks, a library and a playground within 50 paces, but I like the one we've got Got back at 1pm and the work that we'd hoped would be nearly finished, wasn't. There's a couple of hours tomorrow, and I can't decide whether to go to mother and toddler group or not- and Steve is back at work so someone needs to look after the dog.

#192 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 AM

Spiritmomma, we received your gift for Winter today! Thank you so much for the Haba blocks! He loves them!!!!!!!
#193 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM

How did it go yesterday Helen? No, I didn't mean for the bricks to be a part of heads, shoulders, knees and toes. Just something else to do. Brynn really likes to stack things now so I thought Skye might as well! PS: That is amazing how much that girl can eat!!!! Awesome.

Kaspirant, congratulations! How wonderful!!

I wrote a blog entry this morning that I'm really proud of. Hop over if you have an extra 5 minutes!

The weather was beautiful yesterday and should be today as well (high of 58!) so we are going to try to really enjoy it. Every time it's warm, we all say, "This is the last warm day of the year!" and then we get another one. I mean, mid-December and 58 degrees in the midwest? Global warming, for sure!

#194 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Yesterday went. Today, the builders went. I have a kitchen, a dining room (soon to become a living room) and an incredibly dusty carpet, plus lots of kitchen cabinets in the garden, and I'm trying to decide whether to go and move furniture around or hover on MDC until the boys come home It's a tough decision.
Todays exciting development is that Skye chose to walk outside for the first time- straight over to a windfall apple I didn't let her eat it, though. Oh, and we have a kitchen.
Did I mention the free bra? Our local surestart group (lots of money for people in crap areas) runs one of the breastfeeding support groups that are all over Swindon, and as an incentive to stay breastfeeding and to keep coming along to the support group, we get a free Bravado bra I can't get over how much my boobs have changed in 7 years though- when I wore one when Alex was small, I was a standard M. Now I need a ++ cup to keep everything restrained and decent And the SAGGING!

#195 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 PM

*Amy*, I love the blog entry. Let the revolution begin! And Brynn is such a brilliant little girl...I'm amazed at her vocabulary! And yes, global warming is very real and very here. I'm glad we're going to the Great White North for Christmas so we can feel a bit of cold weather and maybe snow.

I must say, I'm quite impressed with all you blogging-ladies ability to keep on top of that. I'm afraid I'm not quite so together. And Finley seems to be going through many waves of being particularly clingy, therefore limiting my typing (and coherent thinking) time significantly.

flapjack, hope you're able to get out or at least stay pleasantly entertained today with skye.

Fern, can't wait to see pictures of the little boy.

Happy Thursday everyone!
#196 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, I love your blog. That was an awesome bf'ign post - I am going to steer people towards it, k? Oh, and Rowan had exactly the same reaction to snow.

We went to a neighbour's last night for some holiday dessert treats and Rowan stayed up way past her bedtime and had a good time eating things she shouldn't (fortunately sugar right before bedtime didn't have much of an effect on her). They had a big clear plastic ball with snowmen in it and a fan inside that blew the snow around and Rowan was just fascinated by it. She kept running back to it saying "Dis! Dis!" which is really the only work she uses reliably, aside from "bye". We think it means "This!" (as in, "Rowan, what's this?") Anyway, big plastic snowy snowmen - big hit. I can't wait for her to "get" the talking thing though. She obviously understands most of what we say to her, she just doesn't say much back. Anyway, she's totally sleeping in this morning and I have to go to work soon. I will give her another few minutes then I'll have to wake her up. She had vaccinations yesterday too so she's probably pretty pooped.

#197 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 02:13 PM

So Flapjack has evidently been stalking me

It is so hard to keep up with you guys... I'm really bad about it, but I thought I would at least post an update. I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm still pretty out of the loop... maybe I will find the time sometime.

Quite a bit has happened recently (as you can see from my siggy). Obviously we are expecting #2 now! A total surprise, just like Silas was. I had not even had AF for 6 months. So we are a little surprised. Our plan was to wait till the spring to try... but this new little one had a different plan. I am really hoping to keep my milk... Silas still nurses for 90% of his nutrition. Any helpful hints?

We also bought a house!! We really like it a lot, but it has needed some work... not much, painting, we retiled the kitchen and the bathroom. So that has kept us busy.

I'm a little jealous about all the walking and especially the talking babies. Silas is so timid to walk... he is the best and fastest crawler in the world, though, and he hardly says anything. He also never picked up on signing...which honestly I never did routinely. So far he says "cow", "moo", and "whoa" .(It is really cute, he'll point to something interesting to him and say "whoa!" so enthusiastically) He has no trouble getting his needs/wants across; he points at things he wants and does the whole back flipping, and kicking thing when there is something he doesn't want. I just so want him to at least say "mama" or "dada" !

He is such a sweet little person, and I totally agree that this is a really fun age. He loves to give things to people, and is always picking up toys or other things and handing them to whoever is there. He enjoys telling jokes... he will blabber something then lean towards you with this really funny look and laugh! He is smiley and laughing 90% of the time which is really nice.

We are planning on visiting dh's family for Christmas in CT. I'm kinda nervous about that. They think we are pretty weird "hippies". And MIL says stuff to ds like "I'd like to give you this, but your mommy/daddy doesn't want you to have it" : We've got to nip that one in the bud! They also make a lot of side comments that really bother me. So it should be an interesting week.

I'll try to check in more often and maybe even stay afloat with the thread reading. :

Ronna
#198 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 PM

im not really supposed to do this (put pictures on the internet)so PM me and ill give you the link.. he really is so sweet!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#199 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 PM

DiD: You are so welcome! I hoped he would like them. Sorry the shipping took so long, but I'm glad they got there safely!

SUPRGRL So nice to see you and thanks for the update! Congratulations on your new home and your new little surprise! Stop in whenever you can and let us know how your family is doing!:
#200 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 PM

i am ashamed to be so far behind on reading the posts. and, when did november end with all of our babes turning one (well, sometime within a month of nov, at least)? happy belated birthdays!

i'll try to read and catch up. it seems selfish to just post about what we're doing without knowing what is going on with you all! just to say a little, ezra is walking a ton, trying to use a spoon and a comb and signing more words now. her latest is to hold her hands up after hiding something, as if to say "where is it?" too freaking much; it's precious!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#201 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM

Hi Ronna! Actually, it's not you I'm stalking, it's everyone due in August. I'm 16dpo, testing negative and going out of my mind nuts. I can't decide whether to go and drink obscene quantities of vitamin C to try and bring on a period or- well, WHAT. So yeah, it's hormone-related babylust I was just so excited to see you there!
No bright ideas on keeping your milk- I let Alex self-wean at 17 months after having non-stop nursing strikes from 9 months onwards- but having kids 21 months apart is so much fun once they grow a bit. My two fight occasionally, but are constant allies against outside pressures (parents, friends, school, you name it) and make a real effort to help each other out. It's not best friends, exactly, but the sibling bonds are pretty tight for them. Silas sounds gorgeous, btw- the way you talk about him makes me want to pick him up and give him a big squishy hug!
Gunter I missed you too!

#202 of 340 Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 PM

flapjack, I would be going nuts too! Maybe tmi, but have you been irregular? I have, so I had no idea when I o'd or when to expect a period... I was going pretty crazy myself, yk, not knowing if it was all in my head.

Thanks for your insight on the age difference thing. My brother and I are 22.5 months apart, but we aren't that close. But I think that has some to do with our personalities and some to do with my parents parenting choices. We were also 3 years apart in school. I get excited for Silas to have an ally close his age, though, and I hope they are close. I want to do what I can to help them.

I can't help but squeeze him all the time! He is so darn cute! He's going to be sick of me by the time he's two and be saying things like "Mom, don't embarrass me in front of the other kids at playgroup". Well, I would have my hands full if he were speaking that eloquently at age 2

Anyway. I should be working on Christmas presents I am soooo behind. That is what I get for trying to be crafty this year.
#203 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 AM

LOOKIE WHAT FERN KNITTED!!!!!

(Or is it just knit? )
#204 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 02:39 AM

knit..knitted.. whatever..

:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#205 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM

Now that's some classy longies! (those?)
And yes, Fern knitted In't she clever?

#206 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 AM

Those are gorgeous! I'm gifting my friend's baby his hat (that Fern knit(ted))today; I can't wait for them both to see it!! I'll take pics and post later on. I am still so totally in love with the hat that Fern made for Brynn. I was thinking yesterday, I'm so glad I know Fern so that next year, when this hat is too small, I can have her make another one!

#207 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post

Now that's some classy longies! (those?)
And yes, Fern knitted In't she clever?
:

Quote:

#208 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 PM

so it looks like our little baby will go home next week.. its a good thing. his grama has a 2 year old (hids mom and dad are 16 and 18 or something ) and he as a 2 year old brother who lives with the grampa.. so he will go to either grampa or grama.. not sure which.. anyways, they really seem to want him (the G.parents anyways) and i think things wil be okay for him. he is a wise little boy and i know things will work out for him. i think that his parents lve him, but they are young and immature and ned to do some growing up. :

Quote:

#209 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Fern: I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the pilot cap pattern with me... I've got TONS of nice yarn, but no project right now. (Well, not one I'm ready to work on, anyway. I've got a sweater I could be finishing, but...) What guage yarn did you use? What size needles?
#210 of 340 Old 12-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Pilot cap pattern It's worsted/aran yarn, size 8's, 18/24 gauge. And no, the pattern isn't free but it's worth every penny and is a satisfyingly quick knit.
Fern, I'm sorry your little love is leaving you, but so glad his family are working to include him and keep him a part of them. One of the few things I've found from my reading about blended families is that kids really do need to know exactly where they came from- even when knowing is going to be painfully hard. to you, and him, and his parents and grandparents.
I don't remember if I told you about the poor little lass near us who was badly scalded when the hot water pipes in the family's new house burst, but she died on Tuesday. news story. Isaac looked at the paper yesterday and said "why is Skye in the paper? " Somehow, it just seems so real, and so unbearable because little Rhianna was so close in age to our lot and doing the same kinds of stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page