We're Toddlering Now!! Nov 05 mamas, it's December!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're taking the plunge into toddlerhood! Happy December everyone!

Oh, and here's the old thread.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#2 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 03:57 PM

how exciting!!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Yes we are.

We're 9/01/05 and we're definitely, definitely a toddler now.

Tantrums included. I'm so exited. (really.)
#4 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 PM

nOOoooOOoooOOooO..

my ngaio is still a babe! shes only half walking.. ..

but but.. we are getting a baby!! not the same baby, but a 6 month old baby boy..and this weekend! im so so excited! ill give you all the details later.

sarah thanks for starting this

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM

Fern how awesome!!!

We aren't quite toddling over here. Cruising, yes. Getting into the diaper pail, yes. Throwing socks away in the rubbish bin, yes. But no walking yet. !

Helen, you trip me up! I have been blind to your awesome sense of humour this entire time!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#6 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 05:38 PM

Waaargh!!!! I don't want to be a mummy to a toddler! I want a cute fluffy newborn with a yummy-smelling head again!
(actually, all I want is to be able to finish the message I've been writing for 2.5 hours)
So Skye walks, talks, climbs stairs, is obsessed with dogs,cats and squirrels, has started sorting objects and has a new unsuitable plaything (her current obsession is screwdrivers. We don't let her.) Oh, and her favourite suitable plaything is still the green wood ring from her stacking toy thingummy. No idea how much she weighs, and life here is still blissfully boring. Thank goodness.
Zjande, Fern, are you guys preggers yet? I need to get my broodiness quota in somewhere...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 PM

I know she's not a baby anymore, that's for sure.

Isa is not walking, but is getting more playful and more imaginative. It is evident in her babbling and her social interactions with other kids. I love to see her around other people!

We went to an AP playgroup this morning where she was the youngest baby...erm, toddler. (still getting used to it!) It was loads of fun, but I think she felt funny being the only non-walker. She couldn't really keep up with the other kids. She is getting braver, though. She climbed the steps up to a slide by herself and then went down the slide many different ways (on her belly, in her back, sitting up, army-crawling...) I am NOT by any means rushing her, but I am excited for her that she'll be walking soon. I know it will bring a whole new level of experience to her play.

*sigh* I'm not a "new" mama anymore. I'm some kid's mom. :
#8 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM

I'm not ready to be in the Toddler forum yet. I'm in denial. Ds is still my tiny soft sweet newborn babe. Who walks. And talks.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#9 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post

I'm not ready to be in the Toddler forum yet. I'm in denial. Ds is still my tiny soft sweet newborn babe. Who walks. And talks.

I know mama.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#10 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 PM

Awww, well, I kinda love it. I love my chitter-chattering signing walking running toddler! I just think this age has been the funnest. Most fun? Whatever. She cracks me up all the time. Tonight she was so tired that she was running around and twirling in circles in the living room and then stopping to laugh hysterically at herself.

Two more days and she'll be 1. Exactly one year ago, I had been in labor for ~3 hours, and had about about 30 to go.

#11 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 PM

Oh Bex, I keep meaning to ask you, what is the 229/500 in your sig for?

And Fern, HOW EXCITING!!!!

And Spughy, still no package yet?? Should I be worried?

#12 of 340 Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Daggonit you mamas are quick to fire up a new thread! To warm us all up for the days to come of life with a toddler....I DON'T WAAAAAANNNNNNA BE IN THE TODDLER FOOOOOORRRRUUUUUUM YET! : I am still technically allowed to call Noah my little baby since his birthday isn't until Thursday!

YAAAAAY Fern! Can't wait to hear all about your new babe!

OK, just stopping in to sub and say hello! Barcelona...I'm digging up my birth story just for you, mama.

&
#13 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Amy, I haven't got your package yet - but remember it's got a long way to go and a border to cross, so give it another week before you start to panic. What method did you sent it by again?

We went to my company's "Winter Celebration" party (aka christmas party) tonight - it was held at the Butchart Gardens which is lovely, they had an outdoor skating rink and christmas lights everywhere, and we had an ok time but most of it was spent chasing Rowan around. She wanted to run EVERYWHERE. Except the direction we actually wanted to go. She was awfully cute but she is getting so fast, it's really hard to catch her when she gets going. Until she trips and falls. Then afterwards we went to the IL's for dinner since it was close-ish and we wouldn't have to make a late dinner at home... only MIL can't cook worth beans and Rowan wouldn't eat much dinner. I said it was because she'd had lots of snacks in the car but that was a little bit of a lie - it's because she hates dry meat like overcooked chicken breast. She ate quite a few mushy green beans but mostly she just played with the food and wiped it onto the floor. Oh well. She did have a good amount of snacks in the afternoon.

Time to start Christmas shopping! I want to go to a craft fair tomorrow but it's up the peninsula a ways - at least a 1/2 hour drive - and I don't think it's fair to subject Rowan to that sort of car ride, and it's definitely not fair to subject DH to child care on the weekends since he does it all week. Maybe there will be another one closer to home.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#14 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 AM

I'm with Amy in the loving my toddler groove. I can only really see and admit it to myself in retrospect, but early babyhood was a big trial for me. There was a lot of high-needs baby time that I don't really want to re-live right now.

But toddler- this is terrific fun. The walking, talking, sassing, climbing, laughing (and even sometimes trantruming) toddler.

The new word of the day is yuck. I didn't teach it on purpose, but realised that I've been using it when she puts non-food in her mouth. As in "yuck, leaves aren't food". Which she now says proudly as she puts *whatever* in her mouth.

How exciting, Fern!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#15 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 AM

Winter's birthday party is this weekend and his birthday is Tuesday. Sigh.
#16 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 AM

DiD, did you find a midwife? I thought you were UC-ing?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#17 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Fern: I am so excited to hear what's next for your family! yay for babies!

DiD: I don't think your package from us is going to be there by Sunday. But it is still coming!

It's so cool to see how different our kids have become at the one year mark. We've got some walker/talkers and some mute/crawlers. All different stages of toddlerhood! Pretty fun! I can't wait to see where our families go from here!

And I'm realizing too how much I rely on this group of ladies to feel connected and alive. Thanks! I love you guys!
#18 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM

Amy, the numbers are for the decluttering challenge over in Mindful Home Management (or is it Decluttering?). Anyway, the challenge was to get rid of 500 items in your home in the month of November. I am still purging, but have just fallen behind.

I am loving this age as well don't get me wrong, I just fell so in love with my daughter and I have savoured her since her conception. I feel guilty that I don't have those emotions about my son. I would go to the ends of the Earth for him, I would die for him, but it's a different feeling that I have for my daughter. So I guess I have those guilty feelings wrapped up in the 'typical' feelings of having your child grow older. I don't know, I'm rambling now.

Sarah, does Rowan dislike car rides? Sounds like you guys had fun at the party but not such much at the IL's. Does your MIL try to feed your babe contraband foods? Just curious.

DiD, are you feeling down about the gifts part or the age part? (((hugs)))

#19 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 12:22 PM

: Noah has his first really yucky nose! We have been so darn lucky/blessed that he really has not been sick yet. Last night between the teething and the stuffy nose we got NO sleep. I've been taking Emergen-C and echinacea in hopes to pass some of to him. Hopefully it doesn't stick around.
#20 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Awww! I hope Noah feels better soon. Those colds are really tough, on both the babe and the mama/family. I hope you guys get some rest today. I think it's harder at night in general so a few naps during the day should be in order. s

Abs only had 1 cold and she was about 2 months old. I remember the snot/drainage/stuffiness interferred so much with sleep and nursing. Get well soon baby Noah!!

#21 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Peacefulmommy: missed you guys at swimming today! I hope Noah is feeling better soon (and that you both get some rest!) s:
#22 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
DiD, did you find a midwife? I thought you were UC-ing?
I found a UC-supportive midwife to possibly attend my birth but she is supporting me if I decide not to call her for my birth. She is a really incredible midwife and I am so lucky to have found her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
DiD: I don't think your package from us is going to be there by Sunday. But it is still coming!
It's okay, it's really thoughtful of you to have sent Winter something for his birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
DiD, are you feeling down about the gifts part or the age part? (((hugs)))
I don't want my baby to grow up!!!!!!
#23 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Spughy, I sent it US Mail, uninsured. I probably can't track it, so if it doesn't get there in the next week or so, let me know and I will make you a new one and ship it a better way.

OK, get this: I am SICK. AGAIN! I woke up with a bad sore throat and thought it was just from having the heat on now that it's really cold, but no....looks like it's strep. : So I had to go to the ER to get checked and get a prescription because the Saturday clinic was already booked. The good news is that the doctor I saw this morning was the same guy who I saw when I had my miscarriage back in 2004 and he was a really great guy. I got to say, "Hey, remember me and my miscarriage? Now look what I've got!" So that was fun. Anyway I'm on antibiotics now and am supposed to be past the contagious phase by tomorrow so I guess we're still having a party, assuming Brynn doesn't get it now too. Seriously, could this family be any sicker??!! Enough is enough.

Poor Noah! Man, we sure know how hard that is. I hope he gets better soon!!

Bex, 500 items. DAMN! Good luck sister. Sounds like quite a job!

Everyone else: I have to go bake a 3 batches of brownies and an apple crisp.

#24 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Well, I do NOT have a toddler by any means, but since you have all defected, I suppose I have to grudginly join you over here!! My sweet baby is just crawling, and just generally bringing us all joy. He finally started pulling up to standing the week before his birthday, so now it's very cute to see him upright, and rummaging through the various toyboxes, crates, and laundry baskets I have set up for him.

He just said his first word 2 days ago: BALL! I couldn't be more thrilled!! I have been waiting to hear his little voice for so long. He loves to play ball, and now that he can say it, he chases anything remotely ball-like around the house saying 'ball, ball, ball'. It brings such a smile to my face.

Here is Ezra's birth story as posted about a year ago: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=ezra+dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinezuels View Post
Tantrums included. I'm so exited. (really.)
LOL, not looking forward to that part! I can't even imagine him doing it, but I KNOW the time will come!! Already our playgroups are beginning to involve hair pulling and toy grabbing, and we are lamenting the days where we just sat around and nursed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
but but.. we are getting a baby!! not the same baby, but a 6 month old baby boy..and this weekend! im so so excited! ill give you all the details later.
woo hoo! I'm sure no matter how long or short of a time you have him, you'll make such a difference in his little life!

I think that it helps that I went to see my MW when Abigail was about 6 months old. I took the video camera and taped an interview with her; us talking about the birth.

Bex- what a great idea!
#25 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
Sarah, does Rowan dislike car rides? Sounds like you guys had fun at the party but not such much at the IL's. Does your MIL try to feed your babe contraband foods? Just curious.
Rowan is currently not a huge fan of the car rides. She does ok as long as there is someone back there to entertain her but otherwise she's either sleeping (unlikely, these days) or squawking.

MIL is really good about not feeding Rowan foods that I have specifically prohibited (ie sugar, trans fats) but she is pretty clueless - well, no, not clueless, she just doesn't CARE - about nutrition generally. She likes bland food. The blander, the better, hence the overcooked chicken breasts, overcooked green beans, and canned corn. I would never DREAM of cooking such things for dinner, but it's standard fare for her. I don't like feeding Rowan chicken breast because it doesn't have a lot in it, nutritionally or taste-wise, and the texture isn definitely not one she enjoys, so she doesn't eat it. But it's not on the "no-no" foods list. (Of course, she buys chicken that is not pasture-raised, but whatever... there's a limit to what I can insist on.)

Fern - that is so exciting about your new baby! I hope it goes smoothly! I would love to have a 6-month old again.

Amy - I am not worried about the package yet. USMail takes a while. And then it has to interface with Canadian Mail. Sloooooowwwww. Don't worry. Also, I didn't know you'd had a miscarriage in 2004 - I did too. I was only 5 weeks along but it was still pretty traumatic.

I am envious of all of you whose babies say words all the time. Rowan says a word here and a word there (although she has been saying "bu bye" to me when I leave for work the last couple of days.) Otherwise she'll say a word once (like pointing at a picture of herself and saying "baby") and then not do it again for weeks.

#26 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Spughy, you can have my talkative babe. Somebody managed to teach my sweet, innocent vulnerable daughter her first swear word : and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

#27 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Spughy, you can have my talkative babe. Somebody managed to teach my sweet, innocent vulnerable daughter her first swear word : and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.
Is it wrong that I laughed really hard and read that out to DH?

My little one isn't exactly winning prizes for good behaviour. This morning she discovered - why, I have no idea - that it is fun to blow snot bubbles out her nose and then wipe them on the cat. Yes, seriously.

#28 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 11:41 PM

hi and happy december mamas! i can't believe we have toddlers! like the one year old birthday milestone, i have mixed feelings. but, am definitely enjoying this time. finley is hilarious and sweet, and i'm one happy mama.

it is happily finally cold here. yay! so it can start to feel like christmas. i love this time of year. we went to street christmas fairs looking for gifts...didn't find many that work and that we could afford, but it was still so fun to be out and about.

spiritmommy, thank you for diggin up your birth story for me! and itsybitsy, i haven't read yours yet, but plan to soon, and look forward to it. i'm feeling inspired to write mine down. and when i do, i will, of course, share with you all.

spiritmommy and amy, so sorry about all the sickness! YUCK. no fun at all. amy, you guys need a break! i hope the party is/was so healing, though, and wonderful for everyone, despite the strep

flapjack, i can't help but laugh too! ah!

a funny moment of finley: brings us imaginary food and feeds it to us (he LOVES feeding us, if you all remember him offering me my breast last month, which he still does). says "mmm" when we walk by restaurants, and now comes into the kitchen saying "mmm" when he's hungry. and his new favorite word: "dark" (when we turn out the light to go to bed, or when he wants to go into a room, but the light is out).

it is so interesting seeing what all the babes are doing and learning differently, like you said, peacefulmama...some quiet, some loud, some walking, some crawling...i think all of the babes prove to be flourishing, though, beautifully, and moreso than the babes i know IRL (and, mostly, non-attached mamas), and i can't help but wonder if our parenting has something to do with how well our babes our thriving. just a thought.

oh, finley had his one year check up. he had to have blood drawn for iron and lead and also to make sure he doesn't have hep b (which i have, and contracted when i was an infant in a blood transfusion). so, it'll be a relief to get a clean report back from those tests. it was AWFUL AWFUL, though, having my baby boy be so upset. i was shaking for an hour afterwards, while he was happily walking around saying "bop" and playing with his metrocard. (he bounced back quickly).

he weighed in at 24 pounds 2 ounces and was 31 inches tall, so that puts him at 70% in weight and 80% in height. still a big boy, but not as big as he was, percentile-wise. and the doctor (who i love, by the way, and is very AP) confirmed that his first set of molars are coming in.

what's everyone doing for the holidays?
we're going to ottawa, where my DH is from, for the week of christmas. i'm excited to see and be in the snow!

hope you're all having delightful weekends with your families.

i also send out a big to everyone!
#29 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 11:42 PM

and i forgot! how exciting FERN! yay! that baby is very blessed to have you holding him and loving him.
#30 of 340 Old 12-02-2006, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi everyone! Just doing a quickie sub right now. I can't believe we're in the toddler forum! I've never set foot in here until this moment!!

Thanks for asking Helen, but we're still working on the babymaking bit. My cycles are all super wonky due to breastfeeding so I'm confused. And impatient!!

Have a great weekend y'all!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page