Backpack recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been using a very lightweight backpack for ds (Evenflo I think?), which has worked great up until now. We mainly use it around the house or neighborhood walks, and occasional longer hikes. But it doesn't have really good strap cushioning, and now that he's bigger and heavier (almost 2yo, about 25lbs), it cuts into my shoulders. I don't think it has the greatest weight distribution features either - when he looks to the side around my head all his weight shifts to one side, which hurts my neck after about 20 mins or so.

So we need a new backpack. We don't need a serious, heavyduty, serious hiker backpack, but one that is well padded, fairly light, and easy to get on and off. And I really like having the kickstand feature (do all of them have this?) because it helps me get it on and off when I'm by myself.

Which ones do you like, or not like, and why?
#2 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 09:22 AM

I use one made by Kelty Kids for hikers, but I don't hike. I use it for walking around the park when I exercise, in the mall, etc. It is very comfortable for both dd and I because of all the padding. It has a kickstand too.

Jenni
#3 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 10:02 AM

We use a tuff Traveler(sp?) We do use ours for backpacking and also for little hikes or instead of a stroller when we run errands or got to a festival. It has been thru 2 kids and we bought ours slightly used it has held up so well. I have a bad back and it has great support for me.
#4 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 11:04 AM

My favourite backpack is the Baby Trekker. I can still use it with no problems with my 28lb 2 year old dd
#5 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 11:06 AM

My kelty kids was stolen! That was the best one by far!

Mamasoleil
#6 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 01:22 PM

We got the Kelty Elite 4 yrs ago and have finally decided to give it to my cousins for their baby-to-be. We would re-buy in a heart beat for baby#2!! But... I *did* see someone with a Kelty backpack just like ours but came with some sort or collapsable wheels so that without removing the baby it converted to a stroller. Very cool! We hike, but I also wore it ALL the time to malls especially during holiday-madness. The wheels were interesting to me for that case since when my back got tired I could just puch it around etc.
#7 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 03:41 PM

I have a Baby Trend that I got at Babies R Us for $50. It is great because it fods down really small and has a bag you can store it in. We went on a plane trip and it was wonderful because my husband would wear it when we were walking in the airports and we would fold it up and store it overhead during flight. I love that is folds up all small.
#8 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 03:43 PM

another vote for the baby trekker! no metal frame, just all soft padded fabric. i can get my toddler in and out of it by myself, which is a big plus since i'm a defacto single parent right now.
i got mine from a mama here for only $50, so check the trading post first before buying a new one. i love that i can wear it in so many different ways, and that it fits my 6 foot 4 husband and fits my 5 foot 4 big busted frame too!
#9 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have had a kelty elite for about 4.5 years...it was a gift from the inlaws who wore all the models around with twenty pound weights to see which was best. there was another model higher which fit a heavier than fifty pound child, but by then.....!?! I used to wear the backpack a lot when we lived in chicago, too, especially during snowstorms on the way to the bus and to keep babies safe on the trains and buses, etc. the balance is much better than the hip carry and the metal frame is actually a MUST for me...when i would bump into something or occasionally fall or strangers press against me or something of the sort I knew my baby was safe and when i would walk to the coffee shop and he would fall asleep I could take the backpack off and rest it next to me on the kickstand and chill with my soy milk latte. I often would wear that kelty elite for TWELVE OR THIRTEEN HOURS in the hot humid chicago summers, and I am not really in great shape or anything but it puts all the weight on the legs and saves the back a nightmarish strain that carrying a child other ways can cause. i wore it through subsequent pregnancies until about the eighth month when hoisting it up became a problem. i can't recommend it enough and when dear baby is big enough he will transfer from his sling to the backpack fo'sure. GOOD LUCK
#10 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 06:13 PM

Moving this to the Toddler Forum...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#11 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 10:46 PM

We shopped for one and decided we couldn't justify the expense, but for what it's worth, we decided our favorite was the Kelty Kids Meadow. You can get them online for $80-90 or at EMS for $130.

Tina

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#12 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 10:48 PM

I thought I loved my didymos except Dd stopped cooperating with lying on my back to get into it after the novelty wore off, even with help. I got an Ergo carrier. It was intimidating at first, but once we got it on we both loved it.

I've taken several long walks with no discomfort at all, and it's easy to get Dd in and out quickly, like in an airport secuirty line. We still haven't mastered getting in without help, but I think that will come soon.
#13 of 19 Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 PM

I also have a Baby Trend , I like it because the baby is up high and has a good view. It definately could use some more padding and a better waist support, to distribute the weight better. I'm short and have had trouble with all slings and backpacks. I do love that it folds down and becomes very compact.
#14 of 19 Old 04-29-2003, 01:58 AM

We got a Vaude Swing about a week ago and I like it. It doesn't have a separate kickstand, it's more that the frame comes down to form a base that can stand (although I wouldn't leave ds in it without holding onto it). Both dh (6 feet) and I (5 feet 4 inches) can wear it comfortably.

It was 105 bucks at http://www.kidssource.com/child_carriers.htm

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#15 of 19 Old 04-29-2003, 05:12 PM

I vote for the Tough Traveler. There have been many discussions about this here. Here are links to some of them. You can do a search for "backpack" or "carrier" for more.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...light=backpack

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...light=backpack
#16 of 19 Old 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM

edited because something hiccupped and made it post twice.
#17 of 19 Old 04-29-2003, 08:00 PM

We love our Baby Trekker. We just used ours on our trip to Hawaii (beautiful state for those of you who live there!) and it was very useful getting through the airport, going on the many trails, or just when we were too lazy to get the stroller out. DD is 24 lbs and we were able to carry her for several hours easily.
#18 of 19 Old 04-29-2003, 11:54 PM

Just wondering, the thing I value most on a backpack carrier is the wide seat for baby to sit on, some have narrow "sling" type seats and I'm worried that without enough support, ds will be putting stress on his, ahem...most sensitive area

Baby Trend has a generous seat, any others?
#19 of 19 Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I am going to sort through this with dh this weekend, and try to find some in person to try. I know that REI carries the Kelty, but I'm interested in checking out some others as well.

Ds absolutely loves the backpack, and we really enjoy going for walks together - all 3 of us. We live in a big city, so it's great to be able to put him in the backpack and walk down the the grocery store, get some take out, or whatever. Plus, even though I use the stroller quite a bit as well, I feel so much better when ds is up high out of everyone's reach, especially with a lot of traffic and busy streets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page