November 2004 Mamas - Starting the December thread before December's over, LOL! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there mamas! Happy December!

I hope everyone is feeling better! Liv is well on the way to recovery, Norah should be hitting the tail end in the next few days, but now I've come down with the chest congestion. I am trying not to pass it back around, but it's so hard! I am a nose-to-nose cuddler with both girls usually.

I finally broke down and DH and I got the LeapPad Fridge Phonics thing since you all have been raving about it. Livi will get it for Christmas from us. I know she's going to love it. I just have to figure out how to keep all the pieces in one place and out of Norah's mouth by then, LOL! Suggestions appreciated!

What's up with everyone else? I know we are all so busy...
#2 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 06:30 PM

We are doing well here. I put the Christmas tree up last weekend and Abhi is having a hard time understanding why all the cute little toys can't be played with on the tree. I have a bunch of ornaments that are little mice, teddy bears, etc and she want to take them all off and play with them. I tried giving her one to play with hoping that would be enough, but noooo she wants them all!

Its very interesting at times have 2. I was holding Fiona last night and Abhi was sitting next to us talking to Fiona and kissing, hugging, & petting her. She looked at me and says "She likes you mama!" So cute!
#3 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Hey all..so far the kids are healing up well..mama has serious allergies still though..waaaaah!!

I don't know how we'll fare with a 2 year old and ornaments yet..I'm a bit scared to tell you the truth..she's such a curious child..she'll be pulling them all off adn telling me their colors and throwing them around, I know it.

we love the leap pad fridge thing here, but it IS messy..Sophie likes to remove all the letters from the fridge and spread them on the floor, daily. errrrgh.
#4 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Our tree solution this year was to buy a 3-footer (we can only have fake trees in our apartment) and put it on top of the grand piano. So of course we caught Livi standing on the piano bench, leaning over to take off the ornaments and drop them into the piano. :

Oh, and I forgot to tell this funny story...

A couple days ago I had sliced up some avacado and sprinkled it with salt for a snack. I was sitting on the couch in the living room eating it when Livi saw me chewing and came at a run, saying, "Livi bite? Livi bite?" I said, "Sure!" and stabbed a piece for her just as she reached the couch. I held it up for her to eat, and she opened her mouth wide. It was almost inside her mouth when she stopped, backed up, and shook her head back and forth, saying, "Nnnnnn..." I said, "Don't you want a bite?" She said, "No." I thought she was just being wary of a new food (though it was her first, lol), so I said, "Look, see it's yummy!" and took a bite myself. I stabbed another bite for her and held it up. She said, "No," and shook her head again. I asked her, "Why not? What's wrong??" She shook her head again and said,

"No. Frog."

I about died laughing, and said, "Oh no honey, it's not frog. It's an avacado. See Mama likes it--it's yummy!" She said,

"No. Mommy frog."

Poor kid! I may have a two-year-old vegetarian on my hands...LOL!
#5 of 37 Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM

We haven't gotten a tree yet. With Qualia's curiosity and ability (and desire!) to ninja up anything, and Bastian learning to scoot, I was willing to skip the tree this year. DH thinks I just murdered Santa Claus and left him bleeding in the snow for even suggesting such blasphemy. So I guess we're getting a tree.

Qualia's definitely got her father's sense of humor. She runs screaming through the house, saying that the butterflies and kitty cats are chasing her (which apparently is a bad thing), but will then turn around and tell me a dinosaur is eating her hand, and that's just ducky. Today, a dinosaur ate my hair. "'Cause, Mama, dinosaur NEEDS eat hair. Dinosaur grow big and strong. Like Qualia, drinking mama milk!" Did she just call me a giant boob head?
#6 of 37 Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rowan has a fetish for my hair. I would like to cut it but I've decided to let it grow until she is weaned, because she is so attached to holding it and playing with, tickling her own toes with it, etc, while nursing. One day I was on the toilet stinking up the bathroom and she walked in and took a sniff and said she liked the smell because "smell like mama hair."

Anyway, I thought we needed a bump . . . .
#7 of 37 Old 12-09-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

richella, that's hilarious! I have a friend whose little boy will only fall asleep playing with her hair. And he is five. I'm growing mine out because I like it long, but it is SO hard with a baby. I have to put it up almost every day. But I am determined to make it through the hair-pulling stage!

Olivia is saying the funniest things lately...if only I could remember them!
#8 of 37 Old 12-09-2006, 01:10 PM

*waves*

i'm one of those swing-in-swing-out kind of posters on mdc. but now that i'm pregnant again, i expect i'll be spending a bit more time around here. :-)

i'm christina, and my son turned two on november 8th. i'm due in may. my milk is definitely drying up now, and some days it feels like i'm nursing a bulldog.

i currently woh full-time, while my husband works an opposite shift, and my sister-in-law takes care of ds for the 4 hours that our shifts overlap.

it's going to be a crazy december for us since we'll be moving at the end of the month. *sigh* but it will be a move toward better things. :-)

i'm amazed by everyone's toddlers holding conversations with them. ds has lots and lots of words, but isn't really stringing them together yet. he's mainly communicating in one word bursts-- "mom! side!" (when he wants to nurse.) or "mom! kitchen!" (when he's hungry.) i know that it will come with time, though.

um, that's us, for the time being. :-)

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#9 of 37 Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 AM

Hi lafemmedesfemmes, I'm due in May too. Same thing with the milk. Rowan is really eating a lot more food these days, but still nurses several times a day.

Today she was in the living room when Kevi dropped something in the kitchen and gave a little yell. Rowan called in from the living room, "Okay Daddy?" It was so cute, she's checking up on her dad!
#10 of 37 Old 12-11-2006, 04:41 PM

Just bumping up I got nothing to say yet!
#11 of 37 Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 AM

So how excited are all your kiddos for the holidays? Holy cow. And she doesn't even watch TV. . . .

What are y'all doing leading up to the holidays? So far we've made paper snowflakes (ok, I made them and she decorated the coffee table with glitter glue), opened doors on a garden-themed advent calendar every morning (ok, ok, every few days when we remember), and made applesauce-cinnamon tree ornaments (you know the drill -- I did most of the rolling and "cookie cuttering," she tried to eat the dough and made the hole for the ribbon).

I haven't found any good books yet on either Christmas (from a St. Nick point of view) or Yule and would love some activity or craft ideas if you have them!
#12 of 37 Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 AM

I teach a Sunday school class with a wide age span. One week we did a craft project that was making an angel out of an aluminum pie tin. I did most of the cutting and let the kids decorate however they wanted (glitter, pipe cleaners, star stickers, whatever). It might be a little old for our kids, but rowan did enjoy putting star stickers on hers. PM me if you want instructions. But, rereading your post, I don't know if angels are an icon you want to work with . . .
Rowan has a cough. It's not bad but she has been so rarely sick that she is suffering a lot. Every time she coughs she starts wailing, "I sick! I co-ting!" Sad. I'm so glad that I still have some milk though. I think I might be making more today than I have been the last few weeks.

Guess I should go get on the sewing machine. . . or bake some cookies. . .
#13 of 37 Old 12-17-2006, 10:24 PM

Hi all!

How is everyone? The craft stuff sounds too fun. We went to an invite-only sale at the local Patagonia outlet and they had a crafts table for the kids. Livi was so psyched to play with all of the rubber stamps, markers, and glitter. She made a huge mess, but she had a blast! I'm afraid to break this kind of stuff out at home because of the potential damage.

Anyway, here's a photo that we took for our Christmas cards that I want to share. Happy holidays to all!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#14 of 37 Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Too Cute, Monica!

I am going to lose my mind. Livi has been refusing to sleep. She refused to nap yesterday, then fell asleep in the car at 8pm. We went home and put her in bed. She woke up at 10:30 and was awake until around 2am. She won't let anyone other than me put her to sleep, so everytime she gets up, so do I. Only I also have to get up every time Norah wakes up. I get so angry and frustrated! I don't know what to do. She is literally screaming at me and refusing to even lay in bed. She hasn't fallen asleep until after 11pm the last four nights. We even tried to put her in the sidecarred crib last night, thinking she would lay down if she was with all of us, but she threw an absolute fit. I am so tired.
#15 of 37 Old 12-18-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnr View Post
Too Cute, Monica!

I am going to lose my mind. Livi has been refusing to sleep. She refused to nap yesterday, then fell asleep in the car at 8pm. We went home and put her in bed. She woke up at 10:30 and was awake until around 2am. She won't let anyone other than me put her to sleep, so everytime she gets up, so do I. Only I also have to get up every time Norah wakes up. I get so angry and frustrated! I don't know what to do. She is literally screaming at me and refusing to even lay in bed. She hasn't fallen asleep until after 11pm the last four nights. We even tried to put her in the sidecarred crib last night, thinking she would lay down if she was with all of us, but she threw an absolute fit. I am so tired.
We are going through a similar situation here, so I can sympathize. Both girls only want mama to put them to bed, so bedtime around here is chaotic. If DH tries to do anything with either of them, it just makes them scream louder. DD2 won't let him hold her at all, she cries the whole time. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't know what to do either!

We went to my parents house over the weekend and Abhi got stung or bit by something. We think it was a fire ant, but I have no idea when it happened since she didn't cry or let us know. Her whole hand swelled up and was bright red and her foot too. This happened some time on Saturday. It looked less red this morning, but both her foot and hand were still swollen. My mom put some oils on it while we were there and I gave her some benedryl when we got home. Then, right before bed last night I put some cortisone on it. Does this reaction mean she is really allergic to insect bites/stings? Should I be worried about bee stings too?
#16 of 37 Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM

Hugs to you, Chelsea & Marymamma! I hope the sleep issues clear up soon. : Chelsea, do you think she might be teething? Or maybe it is a developmental thing. We had a rough three days last week and we're still not sure why. She had a little cold and teething is on-going, but we have no idea what made those days worse than any other for her. All I could guess was a developmental/milestone kind of thing. At any rate, I don't know how you guys do it. Becoming a mother was such a huge, huge change and adjustment for me, and I can't imagine taking it a step further to be a mother of 2 little ones. Hats off to you!

Today was our second day at the Waldorf parent/toddler preschool class. What fun! It is really good for both of us. Livi adopted the teacher's MIL as her grandma. It is so nice to see her making friends and enjoying other people's company besides just me and DH, kwim?

#17 of 37 Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

She is getting the last of her two-year-old molars--the two on the bottom. But when we ask her if her teeth hurt, she always says no.
#18 of 37 Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 AM

Well, Rowan gave us her bug. Spent much of the last 2 days in bed. Kevin got it worse than me, he had a fever. I just felt like my cranium was too small for my sinuses. We're all better now, though Rowan is still coughing.

Tonight she helped me do some gift wrapping. She watched me do a couple, then picked out some paper, so I let her supervise wrapping a small box for Papa (FIL). She really has a difficult time with the tape, so I made little loops and placed them where she told me, then she placed the paper on top of them. There were some small strips of wrapping paper I had trimmed off and we placed them on and around the box, both top and bottom. It is very um artistic. She was so decisive in exactly where each piece should go, it was very cool to see.
#19 of 37 Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 AM

Here's another crafty idea I got from Rowan. She saw some little styrofoam packing thingies and said, "Car! It goes around and around . . ." I thought it looked more like a sleigh. Hmm. . . idea. Now where can I find some 1/2-in tall reindeer? There was another styro piece that was just a cylinder shape, and she said it was a snowman. Now that I could do, a couple tiny twigs for arms, a ribbon for a scarf, cake sprinkles for face, etc. I imagined making a tiny diorama with a background cut out of old Christmas cards and gift wrap and decoupaged onto balsa wood. (Maybe next year, that ought to give me enough time to work on it, ha ha) Or the snowman could sit in the front yard of a gingerbread house.
#20 of 37 Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Hi all..sorry I haven't checked in sooner..having major health issues still and finding it hard to cope with life right now. I hiope everyone has happy holidaze and hopefully I'll feel better after we get insurance and I can afford a doctor!
Oh yes..here's Sophie's first pigtails..kid finally has enough hair!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...igtails002.jpg
#21 of 37 Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 PM

Cute pictures everyone.

I hope that we stay well as we are traveling right after Christmas and the trip should be tiring enough w/ o adding any illness into the mix. But I'm very close to both my immediate and extended family so it'll be worth the hassle. I'm really fortunate that all 4 of my grandparents are alive and well so it'll be lots of fun to go down memory lane.

We've been having sleep issues with my almost 4 year old. We've had a very relaxed bedtime for the last year or so w/both of them, prior to that she was fine he was teething, nursing all night etc. So even though this has been a minor glitch I'm spoiled so it feels like a major pain in the ass. She goes back to bed relatively quickly but the disruption in sleep can't be good for her (she's getting up 2 or 3X per night) I think it's definitely a devolpmental thing, she has been incredibly rational lately, very co operative, learning to spell etc so there is definitely an upside

Ellington continues to be an ambassdor of good will wherever we go. Full of smiles and mischief, good thing our Mall Santa had a real beard : ) Both my children at 2 enjoyed the hustle and bustle of crowds but in entirely different ways. Nola loved to people watch w/ a poker face while Ellington is quick to tell anyone who will stop he saw Tanta, he wants a tuck (truck) etc etc etc

Meg, it must be so hard to get settled if your having health issues and the stress of not being covered can't help. Hope the New Year bring lots of good health and your feeling like a true Floridian

Kia
#22 of 37 Old 12-22-2006, 01:56 AM

Meg, sorry you're not in good health. I hate dealing with the insurance thing, it just doesn't seem right that such important issues should be influenced by bureaucracy!
#23 of 37 Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Thanks guys..it sucks but it's getting a bit better the last couple of days..so much so I've been really a decorating maniac and gotten xmas done for the kids now at least. What did Santa get your littles? Sophie wanted a horse so I got her a small stuffed one, and she got a dora doll she can play with in the bath, a huggable dora and some pajamas. That's it Eli got a big truck (he kept telling me in his 4 year old autistic way that "I like presents, Santa coming, Santa bring trucks!"..then last night he threw me by saying "Santa bring baby bear". darnit..all I got was a big truck and a lot of small trucks..I'm gonna dig out a stuffed bear and wrap it LOL). Their aunt and uncle know my musical boy well and got him a toy baby grand piano by schoenhut..of course it's for Sophie too..but it's really Eli who will crow with delight..he adores anything musical, especially pianos. It will be a fine christmas I got them some paint and paper and markers with caps you can't lose to put in stockings, too.

Hugs and Happy holidaze to you all!
#24 of 37 Old 12-22-2006, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually getting excited for Olivia now! I didn't intend to buy her anything, but the things I got her were because I knew she would love them, not because I felt like I *had* to buy her something, KWIM?

She'll be getting a set of musical instruments--tambourine, maracas, mallet-thing (can't remember what they're called for the life of me, lol), the LeapPad Fridge Phonics, and a kid trampoline! She's going to love the last one because she is sooooo envious of Norah in the doorway jumper. And it will help to burn off energy inside in the winter. I think we're going to ask Grampum for an easel from Ikea. And I have no idea what's coming from my sis and her other grandparents.

As for Norah... We haven't gotten her anything. She needed some more winter clothes, so we bought her some, but I'm not wrapping them for her. She just needed them. She doesn't really need anything else. Is it horrible for me to not get her anything? She'll never know the difference...
#25 of 37 Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnr View Post
She is getting the last of her two-year-old molars--the two on the bottom. But when we ask her if her teeth hurt, she always says no.
Ethan does the same thing, and I know the molars are his problem lately. falls asleep and wakes up kicking and hitting me, all night nursing, whiney, crying, clingy, moody all that fun stuff. I ask him if his teeth hurt, he says no. but then in the middle of the night while he's screaming he will run into the bathroom and bring out the infants motrin and syringe and say "mama medicine now!".
#26 of 37 Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 PM

I think the coolest gift we are giving Livi is a photo album of her comfort/love toy, a lavender lamb she named Ahh. Ahh goes everywhere with us, and often she wants Ahh to comfort her and not us. Anyway, we have pictures of Ahh in Hawaii, in front of the ocean, skiing at Solitude ski resort, and with Santa. I think she's going to love it!

#27 of 37 Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 PM

Merry Christmas Mamas!!
#28 of 37 Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 AM

Bump . . . Rowan sees auras. And she's a 2 yr old, getting those molars and testing limits several times a day.
#29 of 37 Old 12-30-2006, 06:51 PM

OK, so I got lost! I didn't get any November email notifications...and I have been so busy. Aren't we all?

Rachel, how do you know she sees auras? What a great skill to tap into!

Kids are good here. They both had the flu over Christmas (Grant frst and then Ava started on Christmas afternoon). High fever, lethargic, etc. They are both fine now...but I have a cold. My throat feels like knives every time I swallow. Lovely! Hopefully I'll be back to normal in a day or two. It seems like so many people have gotten symptomatic this fall. Bummer. Sending healthy vibes through the internet (and hoping they bounce back here, too).

Christmas was fun. Santa came and the kids were thrilled! Ava is really into Ariel (the Little Mermaid). I'm not sure why...I don't think she's ever seen the entire movie. She got some little Disney princesses for her birthday from Grandma, so I guess that is it. She has been asking for a dress like Ariel, so it was good that Santa brought an Ariel nightgown. She put it on that morning and wore it for 2 days (because she woke up from her nap with a fever). Grant wanted an electric train that he saw at Target ($250) so we were happy that Santa found a perfectly good one at KB Toys for $40! We find that they end up with too much stuff every year, so in a few weeks we'll pick and choose a few things to keep and a few things top donate to Goodwill, KWIM?

We are looking forward to a relaxing weekend here. No big plans. Maybe the four of us will go to a movie and early dinner tomorrow for New Year's Eve. I definitely won't be drinking anything!

We are down to nursing once a day (usually). I was hoping to have her weaned by the first of the year, but that's not going to happen. She usually nurses in the AM and that's it. Today, she wanted to nurse around 2 PM...but there was no milkie. I told her that mommy's boobies are tired, but she says, "I try" or "Let me see." She is talking up a storm, too, although I don't know if she has 15-word sentences (that are coherent). She also loves to sing. She picks up the lyrics quickly. She was singing all the Chipmunk's Christmas songs, but she still requests Sheryl Crow.

Potty training has stalled. She has been mostly using the potty since March...but she still pees in her pants enough that I keep her in Pull-ups. At least she poops in the potty. I would like to get her to wear underwear during the day and wear Pull-ups just for naps and bedtime. Anyone else working on potty training?

The fam should be back from the grocery store soon. I was supposed to be napping, but I couldn't fall back to sleep.
#30 of 37 Old 12-30-2006, 08:30 PM

Hey Dawn, glad you caught up with us even though you have been feeling icky!

Sophie is up to 5 or 6 word sentences..she sounds like she is saying more but she slurs it all after a certain point and you have no idea what she is saying. Her hair is getting longer and curlier, not like Ava's but sweet none the less

Today I went shopping for Jogging strollers as I want to start a couch to 5K program and get more fit..that's my new year's resolution actually..any recomendations from you jogger mamas?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page