Shoes for a "trying to walk" 9 mo. old?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2003, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please give me some advice. I've heard two conflicting ideas now and I'm not sure which way to go. Some people tell me that babies learning to walk need real hard soled shoes to give them the stability they need to balance. Others have told me that the muscles in baby's feet can't develop properly unless they have soft soled shoes or go barefoot. What info is right? My dd is almost 9 months and pulls herself up but can't yet walk. When I take her outside I don't want her just crawling around or walking with someone's help in her socks. What kind of shoes should I get for her? Thanks a lot for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2003, 01:12 PM

I started dd in the soft soled shoes (bobux, robeez, etc) because I think it helps them balance to be able to grip with their toes, etc...

Later on, when she was still an early walker (for her around 16-17 months), I noticed she was walking on her tip toes a bit and I decided to try her in a pair of stride rite shoes that came up around her ankles a bit. It was a good choice and helped her.

So, I think there is a time and place for both....really early, I like the soft variety and when they pretty much have it down, the stride rites were great....

I also went to the stride rites when we started playing outside alot more (splashing in puddles, etc) when she needed shoes with more substance....
Old 04-29-2003, 01:24 PM

We're happy. We did, and will do again, Platypaws 3-12mos and Elephantin or SR afterwards. They're wellworth the $.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 PM

I got robeez for my dd, and I'm glad I did. Watching all my SIL's kids in those ridoculous hard soled shoes at 7 months old being led around like it's some kind of race to see how fast the baby can become a grown up has always really bothered me. My dd learned to walk great with her soft soled shoes.

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
Old 04-29-2003, 05:05 PM

was confused on this also. read somewhere, i think in the baby book that they don't need those shoes until they are bearing weight on their feet for at least an hour or two a day. ds 12 months just started walking so we'll be keeping him in bobox/robeez for a while.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:13 PM

Another nod for Robeez---our dd was in 'em until this spring when we really were spending more time outside----I wanted more protection for her feet, she is still wearing really flexible soles--stride rite.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:47 PM

Hard-soled shoes are an old-fashioned idea. Babies learn to walk best barefoot, and if they can't be barefoot, soft soled shoes like Robeez or Soft Stars are best. Even the traditional white baby shoes they sell at Stride Rite have very flexible soles now - go to a store and bend them, you'll see! Use the soft ones whnever you can, and get a pair of "baby shoes" when your child is really walking and needs more protection in places like playgrounds.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:41 PM

According to Robert S. Mendelsohn (How to Raise A Healthy Child in Spite of yoyr Doctor) It really doesn't matter....

If I may quote:
"Shoes, expensive or otherwise, are not essential to theproper developement of the foot....Other than appearance, the only purpose shoes serve is to protect the feet from injury or the elements. Cosequently it is unnecessary and wasteful for you to invest in expensive shoes for any reason other than appearance. A pair of inexpensive canvas sneakers will serve equally well. Expensive high-topped shoes will not help your childs feet develope properly, nor will inexpensive tennis shoes cause flat feet,, fallen archesetc. "
He does go on to say that stiff, high top shoes MAY retard thedevelopment of ankle strengthand restrict the ability to learn to walk properly...

But i think his advise made alot of sense... mainly that it just doesn't reeally matter. I had one child who loved his soft star shoes.. another who has always prefered sort of high top hiking boot type shoes.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:31 PM

Another nod for Robeez or the like. I did finally get Ds some Stride Rite first walkers for when I wanted extra protection for his foot (Robeez don't seem to be waterproof).

Here's something I found interesting: http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/swc5.htm
Old 04-30-2003, 08:26 PM

Robeez are great, I would recommend them to anybody. Hard soled shoes are not a good idea as the child can't grip the ground with their toes. Better to go barefoot or get shoes that only serve to cover the feet. When I need a more sturdy shoe for outside we go for elefantin, they are really light and comfortable although I don't know how expensive they would be in the US.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:37 PM

my ds walked at about 10mnths. he was barefoot for a long time. i think we got him his first shoes at 18mths.

i dont think that soled shoes will help development. feet have been developing properly long b4 soled shoes came around, lol

User Tag List