need a sunhat, ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2003, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas!

my son is almost 15 months old and we need a good sun hat for him. i need something that will NOT come off.

i liked the hana anderson ones, but you tie them, as opposed to velcro or snaps, which would be a fight tying it.

anyone have a good hat they like? or how about this gymboree hat??
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_it...SizeSelected=0

thanks so much!
amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 PM

That looks like a good hat...Gymboree makes quality clothing, but because it is also a very pricey store, have you considered looking in resale shops/ebay? That way you could buy a few for a low price, and try them out. Then just return or resell the items that didn't work for your son. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:19 PM

My daughter is so picky about what goes on her head. Actually, she usually doesn't like anything to tell you the truth. This year I let her choose her hat because I think empowerment is big and very successful with her, it works with her eating too. So she chose a fairly inexpensive but good little sunhat. The ball cap, like a regular baseball hat, is still the most successful. I have to be careful about her ears, but it is better than nothing. What about letting him choose or trying some on and seeing which he might tolerate. Otherwise that GYmboree safari hat looks very good.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:00 AM

www.flaphappy.com

We have the original FlapHappy Hat for DD, age 15 months. This is the second year in a row we have used one. They do NOT come off and have the added benefit of keeping the neck and ears covered. They can also be worn in the pool and thrown in the wash.

I got ours at a resale shop for $2.00

Old 04-30-2003, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

julie, (or fiona )

how does that hat NOT come off. it looks like it can be easily pulled off.... i like how it covers the neck as well.

tia
amy
Old 04-30-2003, 12:12 AM

My ds is 14 months old and I got him a hat similar to these- baseball cap with the flap to cover the neck and ears. At first he took it off, but I just kept putting it back on. Finally I came up with the idea to associate the hat with the joyous occasion of going outside, so now I ask him, "Do you want to go outside?" and while he's all excited, I say, "Let's get on your hat!!" and he does it with glee. If he tries to take it off outside I remind him that he has to wear it or else go in, and much to my surprise, he understands.

Tina

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

Old 04-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Just had to chime in with tina about associating hats with outdoors. I think it's a great positive association. Finn's sign for outdoors before he could talk was to pat his head for a hat.

I also have a friend who always wears a hat as well as putting them on her kids. I think that's great modelling and have been meaning to find myself one as well. This just emphasizes that we just wear hats outside to keep us out of the sun.

Good luck
Angie

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
Old 04-30-2003, 07:50 PM

what a great hat that looks almost exactly like the ones my two boys have. I was going to suggest baby gap/gap kids. They have great hats. They also have the velcro closure which right now my youngest son, Noah 22mo loves pulling off. So I still put sunscreen on his ears and neck and face. Overall I have really liked this style. breathes pretty well.
The hat covers the neck, ears and eyes very well.

PS
I just looked at the hat. I was wondering about the size. O-3years is a BIG gap in hat size. I would definitely check out gap.com They sell their hats based on age, but have a huge range in sizes. My 3yr wears an adult small, but in gap stuff it is like a 4-5year. Whereas my tiny skinny little Noah, 22mo wears an 18-24mo. I would definitely try to buy it from an brick and mortar store as you have the option of trying lots on until you find the right size, as opposed to over the net. As to price I think $12 is a fair rice as Gymboree's stuff is built very well. I think my kids gap hats were $12-15 ( i found Noahs's at a consignment sale I was so excited!)
Old 05-01-2003, 12:33 AM

Old Navy has hats very similar to Hanna Andersson hats, but MUCH cheaper and generally easier to find a store (I agree with trying them on rather than guessing sizes.) They have a basic white one with velcro that we've gotten for the last 3 summers (3 different hats) and works great. I forget the price but in the $5 range (might have been on sale.)
Old 05-01-2003, 03:56 AM

I had been planning to get the Hanna one too but didn't want to deal with tying. I ended up getting one from BabyGap that I love! The brim is wide enough that it covers DS's neck and he hasn't gotten it off yet! He tries though. I think it was $10.

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
But, whats great about the Hanna hat is that because it is tied on it is harder to get off!! My ds ( 14 months) will just pull the velcro tied ones right off. But he tugs on his Hanna hat and gives up. It is a pain to tie it on, but once its on, its on!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 05-01-2003, 11:43 PM

I have had a couple of the flaphats for Aiden. Not the flaphappy brand but same style. Sure, he can take it off, but we were at the beach on an extremely windy day (hurricane was nearby; it was that windy) and the hat did not blow off!! I bought one at One Step Ahead; they had them on clearance not too long ago and might still. Since Aiden wears these hats in the water, I have to say that the One Step Ahead brim holds up better when wet than the Solarweave and another one (don't know the brand) that we have.
We've also found great hats at Gap on sale for 27 cents!!! and 47 cents!!! They have a brim all around and a velcro strap.
Aiden (19 mos.) understands that he has to wear his hat if he wants to be outside. Sometimes when we are walking and he is ready to go home, he will take off his hat to signal that he is all finished being outside.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:02 AM

I've tried lots of different hats, and I always go back to the Hanna Andersson hats. They really stay on and have great coverage. They have a good re-sale value too.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:05 AM

My daughter has a hat that she keeps on - it is a tie-hat, too. (Hanna) But I knotted it just big enough so that i can put the hat on her head, and slide the already-tied strap under her chin...I highly recommend this, she can not get it off!!!
Katie

User Tag List